Consider HersheyPark as a litmus test...

OP... I have to say, that I am really excited I found this post. My family will NOT be going to WDW this summer, but are working on preparing a 4 day summer trip to PA. I have been doing some research, and was looking at Hershey Park as an option, but also Dutch Wonderland and Sesame Place. With all that I am reading, I think Dutch Wonderland would be awesome. Oue grandchildren are 5 and 23 months, so I think that would work best! We have never been to PA, so are newbies, and really trying to find things for the grandkids as well as the adults to keep them busy for a little while. Although, the grandkids are the priority. ;)
I don't want to hijack your thread, but if anyone on here who lives in the area has any suggestions on places to stay, things to do while visiting, I would greatly appreciate it!! Thank you.
Whoops I was supposed to quote this in my above post!

Last year we took the child that we are babysitting, and who are taking to WDW this September, to 6 Flags in NJ and he had a blast. He had no problems waiting for a little if one of us were going to go on a ride, there were 6 adults (4 of us kids who are 18 and over and our parents), and was pretty much well behaved throughout the entire day. He was around one and a half at that time I believe. We are also looking to take him there again this year in a couple of weeks.

Additionally, we looking to take him to Dorney Park sometime this summer. I have a season pass there and rather than trying to look at how well he does the park, I'm more curious as to how well he does with the characters. When he was a lot younger, probably around a year or so, he was afraid of Santa or the Easter Bunny, but now, it seems like he has hopefully become a little bit more familiar with them. When we went with him to get his picture taken with Santa this past year, he was a little nervous, but my sister never let him out of her arms and never attempted to pass him off (it was going to be a picture of us 4 with him and Santa anyway), so he seemed to do well.

His mother did take him to Dutch Wonderland and Sesame Place last year as well.

OP... I have to say, that I am really excited I found this post. My family will NOT be going to WDW this summer, but are working on preparing a 4 day summer trip to PA. I have been doing some research, and was looking at Hershey Park as an option, but also Dutch Wonderland and Sesame Place. With all that I am reading, I think Dutch Wonderland would be awesome. Oue grandchildren are 5 and 23 months, so I think that would work best! We have never been to PA, so are newbies, and really trying to find things for the grandkids as well as the adults to keep them busy for a little while. Although, the grandkids are the priority. ;)
I don't want to hijack your thread, but if anyone on here who lives in the area has any suggestions on places to stay, things to do while visiting, I would greatly appreciate it!! Thank you.
Lancaster(the Amish Country) has plenty to do. besides the 2 you mention there is the Strasburg Rail Road, Choo Choo Barn model rail road and a number of "Amish" things to check out. most Amish things are for older than your grandkids. if you have a rainy day there is a place called Hands On House that the kids would love, this also works if it is extra hot and you also need indoors. there is plenty of outlet shopping if that is in your plans. there a few theaters if looking for that. look at Route 30 in Lancaster for just about any chain of hotel you want but watch the low cost ones as not as nice as ones that cost more. if you want camping lots of that in area. can be on pricier side but for dinner one night look at Good & Plenty, might be a idea for first. seating is first come no ressies family style. "Amish style" not "fancy" very kid friendly. for younger kids Dutch is better than Hershey but younger adults in the group will prefer Hershey. I work at Dutch and live in the country

@tinkerbell615 I think Dutch Wonderland would be great for your family. I live about an hour from there and we go to the Lancaster area frequently and there are tons of things for you to do. If there is a message option on her you can send me a message and I can give you suggestions of things to do!

Lancaster(the Amish Country) has plenty to do. besides the 2 you mention there is the Strasburg Rail Road, Choo Choo Barn model rail road and a number of "Amish" things to check out. most Amish things are for older than your grandkids. if you have a rainy day there is a place called Hands On House that the kids would love, this also works if it is extra hot and you also need indoors. there is plenty of outlet shopping if that is in your plans. there a few theaters if looking for that. look at Route 30 in Lancaster for just about any chain of hotel you want but watch the low cost ones as not as nice as ones that cost more. if you want camping lots of that in area. can be on pricier side but for dinner one night look at Good & Plenty, might be a idea for first. seating is first come no ressies family style. "Amish style" not "fancy" very kid friendly. for younger kids Dutch is better than Hershey but younger adults in the group will prefer Hershey. I work at Dutch and live in the country

Thank you both very much. I appreciate all of the information. Thank you for the info about the hotels. I am always a little nervous about finding a nice place to stay in an area I am unfamiliar with.

We just got back from our second trip to DW. If you’re mostly doing the park and sightseeing, we like the Country Inn across the street from DW. If you like a resort feel (pools, places to eat in the hotel), we like Eden resort. We buy our tickets online and you can visit DW the evening before, 3 hrs. before close for a Preview. We like to eat at Miller’s. The Amish Village is a nice quick overview of Amish life for kids. We hit up Crayola Experience along the way. Have fun!

We just got back from our second trip to DW. If you’re mostly doing the park and sightseeing, we like the Country Inn across the street from DW. If you like a resort feel (pools, places to eat in the hotel), we like Eden resort. We buy our tickets online and you can visit DW the evening before, 3 hrs. before close for a Preview. We like to eat at Miller’s. The Amish Village is a nice quick overview of Amish life for kids. We hit up Crayola Experience along the way. Have fun!
Thank you!

Just a quick note, kids can LOVE characters one day and HATE them another!!! A couple of our girls wavered from year to year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter