(CLOSED) Disney's BOARDWALK INN and VILLAS Information Thread ~2012~

Status
Not open for further replies.
WDWKook we won't hit the parks during the day just because of the heat. The kids are teens - they'll sleep til 1pm if I let them (I will hit parks in the am alone while they sleep if I want)...then we'll hit the pool til dinner, then go to whichever park is open the latest.

We'll go to a waterpark once or twice, at opening, til it gets too hot/too crowded.
That sounds like a good strategy with those sleepy-heads. DD and I like doing the water park during AM EMH - much less crowded, cooler and by lunch, when it's getting hotter and more crowded, we're done and head back to the resort. I know this doesn't maximize our ticket, but it maximizes my enjoyment;)

Agggh 3 weeks from right now I will be sleeping in the BWV for the first time! SOOO excited :)
:yay:

Ok question for you BWI vets!

I booked a standard room but don't want a parking lot view b/c we spend ALOT of time on the balcony, what should I request that isn't too far down from elevators?

Also we are thinking about possibly upgrading to boardwalk view or CL but will not have the money to do so at check in, if its available when we check in will they allow us to upgrade & pay the difference?

I don't plan on doing online check in for that reason alone but if we can't come up with the extra money I want to ask for a good standard area upon check in!

I appreciate your help!

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & BWI Sept 8-15, 2013
Any request you add to your reservation, whether via OCI or via Disney reservations, will be seen by a room assignor. Even if you have no requests at all, a room assignor will still assign a specific room to you about 3 days prior to arrival. If you want to be close to an elevator and not have a parking lot view, you should put that in as a request so that if you can't upgrade at check-in, your preferred room type will at least possibly already been assigned to you.

With the STD (non-CL) View, your view can be of the Garden/pool area, with even a view of Illuminations from higher floors. It's a great view and if you think you'd like it, you should put a request in your reservation. The 5th floor is the highest floor you could request (4th floor is CL). You can even still do OCI and it won't hurt a thing, but it isn't necessary.

I really think it's important to always book the view you would really want, rather than hope to upgrade at check-in. If you are asked to pay the difference, it's usually computed at rack rate, which if you didn't book at RR, would be higher than upgrading using any applicable discount you may have applied.

We are here now. Enjoying our home away home till June 3. The lounge is busy in the am and right at 5. The weather is great. We have been to Epcot which was busy but managable. DHS was busy but expected. Going off property today to lake minneola tiki bar.
Hope you're still having a great time. I think the crowds will be much better after Monday.

I have booked a standard view room three times in the past year and one of those times was club level. The two non-club level rooms were both garden views which were lovely and both were on ground level with shared patios versus a balcony, near the Inn's quiet pool. Personally, as someone who spends a lot of time on the balcony also, I would request a garden view with a private balcony. I suggest always asking for an upgrade...you won't get something you don't ask for :) Also, i suggest being persistent with the front desk staff. I say this because, this is the only area at BWI where I have observed a serious lacking in Disney attitude. However, their back office staff are amazing, especially Judy! So don't hesitate to ask to speak to the front desk manager, they have more of a "can do" spirit. And while I am giving shout outs, as far as bell service is concerned, Pablo is the best!

We will be at BWI in 12 days and will be in a water view room for the first time. I will report back and share any new details I learn.

Happy planning!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
That BoardWalk View is amazing and I know you're going to have a great vacation! Now it's only 11 days:goodvibes

Just so others are aware, you can be upgraded without asking for an upgrade. This actually happens often, but is unpredictable and the CM might not even tell you that you were upgraded. You might not know until you walk into your room and see the view. Generally, the shorter the stay, the more likely the upgrade. But again, as I posted above, it's always best to book the view you'd really like to ensure you get exactly what you were hoping for.

I forgot to share, when we booked the standard club level room, we did online check in and on a lark I selected a boardwalk view as one of my room request, and guess what... I got it! Like I said, you can't get what you don't ask for ;)

All STD Club Level rooms have two possible views: BoardWalk and Garden (pool/Epcot). While you can't book a CL view, you can note your preference of BoardWalk or Garden in your reservation and/or OCI. The Deluxe CL rooms all have a BoardWalk View on floors 4 and 3.

I have to agree with the others about the clown pool. It has so many haters & when we went I barely even noticed it was there! It was totally a non-issue.
So true and while it might be the focus of your attention when you're researching the resort or looking at photos, after you arrive it's really a non-issue. When you look at it in person, you have so much theming around it that fits and the beautiful grounds, that it doesn't stand out as much as it does in pictures and it blends in with its surroundings.

My DH and I arrived about 10:30 am. Did online Check in and all my requests were met. King size bed, 5th floor with vies of Epcot in the distance. Room was also ready when we checked in
That is great to hear - I thought you might just get what you asked for;). Have a great vacation:goodvibes

That BoardWalk View is amazing and I know you're going to have a great vacation! Now it's only 11 days:goodvibes

After changing resorts no less than 5 times in preparing for our Summer WDW vacation, we finally chose to come "home" to BWI ... because for us it really does feel like home :) 11 days!!! :yay:

DisneyFans222-:goodvibes It is hard isn't it? The Boardwalk has something about it. We stayed our first trip in 2002. In 2004 we had decided we wanted to try different resorts and stayed Wilderness Lodge. It was nice but it was not "home" 2005 we were back to our home and have been there every year since. It is not Disney without the Boardwalk and my Disney family:goodvibes Can't wait to see them again in a month:cool1:

We are here now. Enjoying our home away home till June 3. The lounge is busy in the am and right at 5. The weather is great. We have been to Epcot which was busy but managable. DHS was busy but expected. Going off property today to lake minneola tiki bar.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!!

DisneyFans222-:goodvibes It is hard isn't it? The Boardwalk has something about it. We stayed our first trip in 2002. In 2004 we had decided we wanted to try different resorts and stayed Wilderness Lodge. It was nice but it was not "home" 2005 we were back to our home and have been there every year since. It is not Disney without the Boardwalk and my Disney amily:goodvibes Can't wait to see them again in a month:cool1:

You are so right Sfbank! :)

A nice, long BWI stay...how lucky are you! (and a tiki bar, to boot)

Can't wait until June 4 to be "home"!

One week from today we will be spending our first night at BWI :goodvibes

I have only been to WDW once - one day at MK and one day at Epcot. My husband was able to take a few nice trips there with family when he was in his teens, but we are also taking my mom (yes, DH actually enjoys spending time with her too), and out 2 kiddos, DS (8) and DD (5).

I'm trying to be planned and prepared and yet able to go with the flow - not really sure how that will work :eek:

So, what do we need to make a must do at the Boardwalk itself? I don't have a full resort day set aside, but we have several evenings that we will be out of the parks and can be back at the hotel.

I have only been to WDW once - one day at MK and one day at Epcot. My husband was able to take a few nice trips there with family when he was in his teens, but we are also taking my mom (yes, DH actually enjoys spending time with her too), and out 2 kiddos, DS (8) and DD (5).

I'm trying to be planned and prepared and yet able to go with the flow - not really sure how that will work :eek:

So, what do we need to make a must do at the Boardwalk itself? I don't have a full resort day set aside, but we have several evenings that we will be out of the parks and can be back at the hotel.

If you haven't yet, and the menu looks good and/or reasonably priced for your budget, I would try to get an ADR for Flying Fish. It's a FANTASTIC restaurant.

Every evening they have "street" entertainers on the Boardwalk, the schedule should be on page 1. They're aimed at kids (and yours are the perfect age), but as adults we've liked a lot of them, too. When one finishes a new one will usually already be setting up on a different part of the boardwalk. And they're paid by Disney, no tipping hat gets passed around!

Without the kids, there is Atlantic Dance (a dance hall people don't talk about too much), and Jelly Rolls, a dueling piano bar that many people love, but it has a cover charge, and you'd have to leave the kiddos wih your mom.

They also have kids movies by the pool in the evenings, as do all the Deluxes, I believe.

Enjoy!

Agree about the Boardwalk Entertainment. There are terrific shows. You can watch the Illuminations fireworks without going in to Epcot. The bridges have a decent view of them. You can also get rent of those family bikes and ride around the Boardwalk. I like the Luna pool and water slide, even with the clown. There is ESPN Club where you can sit at the bar for a drink or have dinner there. It is mostly pub/ bar food and they don't take reservation. You can also stroll over to the Beach and Yacht Club with there many restaurants or walk on the beach. Finally, it is a stroll down to the Swan & Dolphin with their restaurants or a bit further for mini golf, although I'm not sure how long it stays open.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We have a BWV standard view studio reserved. Question: Are the SV studios located on all floors? I'd like to request an upper floor.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

After changing resorts no less than 5 times in preparing for our Summer WDW vacation, we finally chose to come "home" to BWI ... because for us it really does feel like home :) 11 days!!! :yay:

Welcome (back) home:thumbsup2

psac and AirGoofy have made great suggestions. It's also fun to pop in to the nearby resorts and you can even walk to Winter Summerland Golf.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

We hit Animal Kingdom today. Wait times were long if you didn't have a fast pass. Had a nice lunch at the rain forest. Dinner tonight at Flying Fish.

Jeanette,
Enjoy Flying Fish. I know Anita was bummed nights got changed for it. We are heading up to state. I don't think you had much time to look at the pics earlier but I will update Anita. Have a good rest of your trip;)

WDWKOOK said:
Some great photos have been posted recently to the BWI/BWV photo thread HERE.

I didn't even know this thread existed. I shot to post some pictures of the bakery and my room tonight. Do you prefer it there or here?

We stayed in Room 2003 this trip. As I mentioned previously, a long walk from the elevators and lobby, right near an exit that brought us out behind Jellyrolls. Here are two pictures of our room. 2003 is a one-bedroom with tow separate balconies:

Looking straight onto our room from the outside:

Side ways view give you an idea of its location:

Here are the views we saw from our room. I'm posting them as thumbnails, because the images are coming out too big. Just click on them for the full image.

Finally, the Boardwalk Bakery:

Top row: The entrance, serving area, preparation area and serving area looking from behind the register.

The pastries and breakfast goodies:

The menu boards, the lobster roll (I swear I will try one when we go back in September) and the breakfast bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter