Character Performer Auditions

I attended the Phoenix audition yesterday! There were about 45-50 people. The audition was for Disneyland and Disney World, and the recruiters were both from Disneyland. The whole audition lasted approx. 2 hours, and we didn't dance at all. (I was surprised) Everything was animation-based. The recruiters pulled 6 girls for face character consideration. They told everyone we would get an answer by email in 2-3 weeks. The recruiters also accepted headshots and resumes from those who brought them.

They are actually over staffed in ALL heights!! Even though they say they give special consideration above six and below five, they really are full in those too. Most of the fairies they just hired are your height, which is why yours is extra tight, and they've taken away most of the munk meet and greets which just leaves Pooh in your range. In order to help make up for it they did just add Mittens into your height range - but she requires a slender frame.

What was your exact measurement? If you are a the higher end of 5'3 you'd be closer to King Louie, Smee and Bolt. If you're down into 5'2 then you'd get Little Einsteins, 5'3 is really just Pooh and Munks.

It is possible to be put into the pool that first weekend (that's what happened to my roommate), if you do get the pool then make sure you call to indicate that you're really interested! My roommate did that and was pulled out of the pool within the next couple weeks (before auditions were over).

So are you saying they're over staffed in all the height ranges right now? I assumed they would fill up in every height range but I assumed that average height would fill up faster. My exact measurement was 64inches and I have a very slender body.

Also, I emailed the Disney recruiter lady on the 29th asking if she new exactly when they would send the emails because I have to know for school and course credit purposes asap. She told me she hoped they would send the emails by the end of the week, but I didn't get anything.

64 inches (5'4) is a common height, unfortunately. The entire Munk height is a common height range.

They are actually over staffed in ALL heights!! Even though they say they give special consideration above six and below five, they really are full in those too. Most of the fairies they just hired are your height, which is why yours is extra tight, and they've taken away most of the munk meet and greets which just leaves Pooh in your range. In order to help make up for it they did just add Mittens into your height range - but she requires a slender frame.

What was your exact measurement? If you are a the higher end of 5'3 you'd be closer to King Louie, Smee and Bolt. If you're down into 5'2 then you'd get Little Einsteins, 5'3 is really just Pooh and Munks.

It is possible to be put into the pool that first weekend (that's what happened to my roommate), if you do get the pool then make sure you call to indicate that you're really interested! My roommate did that and was pulled out of the pool within the next couple weeks (before auditions were over).

And here I thought being on the first weekend would put me out of character pool danger.....oh dear :worried: This is going to make waiting for the e-mail even more unbearable. I was measured at 5'7", is that particularly common?

So I had my character audition in Chicago on Friday the 24th. My audition was a blast and I thought I did great but I was a bit confused about what the recruiter told my group after the audition. I was the 11th person out of 85 so my group was the second to go. After the audition the recruiter told us he had good and bad news. He said that we passed the audition but now they have to figure out where to put us. So does that sound like I made it? or does it sound like I've been put in the character pool? :confused3

Also, Chicago, along with NY, is the first audition site of the season, so they couldn't know if Ive been put in the character pool. I was measured at 5.3. So I'm not under 5 or over 6 but I'm not at the average height (like 5'4 - 5'8). I'm just freaking out and don't know what to think. :confused:

ARGH! :scared:

If you speak with a recruiter about your situation, please ask them about assignment to the character pool. Do they fill the spots as they tour the country, leaving the last few cities with thinner chances (because of fewer spots left) or do they wait until the end of all auditions?

If its the former, I'll probably consider flying to the east coast for a sooner audition, but that'll be expensive so I want to be sure it'll help!

Thanks and good luck! Please keep us updated on what they say!

And here I thought being on the first weekend would put me out of character pool danger.....oh dear :worried: This is going to make waiting for the e-mail even more unbearable. I was measured at 5'7", is that particularly common?

It's common, but also there aren't many characters in that range.

Here's another random question: I know CPs don't get to do any shows, cause that are equity-only, but can can do parades.....what about things like Fantasmic? It'd be a DREAM to be in Fantasmic.....just wondering

Here's another random question: I know CPs don't get to do any shows, cause that are equity-only, but can can do parades.....what about things like Fantasmic? It'd be a DREAM to be in Fantasmic.....just wondering

CPs can do shows (its VERY rare, though). If CPs get picked for anything, most of the time it is for parades. It all depends on what they are looking for.

And for the record, Fantasmic is a show.

If you speak with a recruiter about your situation, please ask them about assignment to the character pool. Do they fill the spots as they tour the country, leaving the last few cities with thinner chances (because of fewer spots left) or do they wait until the end of all auditions?

If its the former, I'll probably consider flying to the east coast for a sooner audition, but that'll be expensive so I want to be sure it'll help!

Thanks and good luck! Please keep us updated on what they say!

I talked with a recruiter before the audition at my school presentation. I was thinking about going to the audition in Des Moines because my family lives in the Quad Cities and I knew at Des Moines there would be less people so I thought I'd have a better advantage. He said it doesn't matter where you go because they wait till the auditions are over to make their final decision so you don't need to waste all the money to fly to a different audition. That's why I was confused when the other recruiter told me they were sending emails by the end of the week.

They do make some decisions before all the auditions are over. I received my email 5 days after the audition (that said I didn't get performer). My letter came 2.5 weeks after the audition (my audition was the first one).

It is possible, however they mostly train full time people for things like that, especially because it's such a desirable thing to be able to do. CPs leave so soon that there's really no point in training us for things like that when they have plenty of FTers who can do it. Sadly. :(

Do they really wait till the end of the auditions? The sheet they gave us post-audition said we'd get an e-mail in 2-3 weeks either saying we passed, we're character pool, or we didn't pass. I was hoping to hear by the next week and a half, I can't imagine waiting another month!:scared1:

Do they really wait till the end of the auditions? The sheet they gave us post-audition said we'd get an e-mail in 2-3 weeks either saying we passed, we're character pool, or we didn't pass. I was hoping to hear by the next week and a half, I can't imagine waiting another month!:scared1:

That's what one person told me. I'm really not sure at this point because I keep hearing different things. I'm going to wait until Friday(then it will be 2 weeks since my audition) and if I don't hear anything I'm going to email my recruiter. What did they tell you after your audition?

Does anyone have any clue how many people they take?

Direct quote from the sheet: "The College Recruiting Team will notify you in 2-3 weeks through e-mail and mail in regards to the results of your audition."

So I'm giving them till Nov. 14 (my 3 weeks) before I politely e-mail my recruiter about the status. I realllllly hope this time frame is accurate, because I need to get the internship approved by my department head and we only have 4 days of class after Thanksgiving, so I don't want to be forced to wait till the last minute. Especially because if my school doesn't want to give me credit, I have to take online classes somewhere so I don't lose my full-time student status, and I can't exactly do this last minute :worried:

I'm 5'7 and trust me - that's a MUCH better height than some of our shorter counterparts. There are 7 "common" characters in my range (meaning that there are 7 characters I can be with out in the parks everyday). I was disapproved in 2, so that leaves me with 5. There are others in our range, but they do not do regular meet 'n greets, but they do have specials! It's not a great height - but has more options than the pooh and munk range!

They do hold spots for later in the audition period - which is why some early people will get placed in the pool depending on how high their scores are.

The only equity performers are people who sing, act, and dance in the castle show and beauty and the beast. The dancers in HSM3, FOLK, MK Welcome show, and all parades are character performers, not equity. Anyone in a costume (ie Cogsworth, all of Fantasmic) are also character performers. Technically speaking CPs could be selected for shows (I know of at least 4 in the Christmas stage show) but it's pretty rare and you're color code has to be a high yellow in movement.

I talked with a recruiter before the audition at my school presentation. I was thinking about going to the audition in Des Moines because my family lives in the Quad Cities and I knew at Des Moines there would be less people so I thought I'd have a better advantage. He said it doesn't matter where you go because they wait till the auditions are over to make their final decision so you don't need to waste all the money to fly to a different audition. That's why I was confused when the other recruiter told me they were sending emails by the end of the week.

Yay for Iowans! I auditioned in Des Moines in March (I'm from Cedar Rapids). Des Moines was pretty early in the season, you should be fine.

Nope - you should hear within two weeks, just like the sheet you received at the audition said.

Does anyone have any clue how many people they take?

For this current season about 700-900 people auditioned and we have just under 250. I'm not sure if that number includes those who extended or just the new people who started with the FA and fall programs.

Yay for Iowans! I auditioned in Des Moines in March (I'm from Cedar Rapids). Des Moines was pretty early in the season, you should be fine.

That's great someone from Iowa made it down to DW! My ex-boyfriend lives in Cedar Rapids. I practically lived there last summer. I was born in Davenport(IA) and my best friends goes to school in Ames. I LOVE Iowa! ha. Do you know how many people made it from the DM audition? I ended up auditioning in Chicago because it was closer, but I was just wondering.

BTW -Congrats on getting accepted as a Character Performer. Are you having a blast?

That's great someone from Iowa made it down to DW! My ex-boyfriend lives in Cedar Rapids. I practically lived there last summer. I was born in Davenport(IA) and my best friends goes to school in Ames. I LOVE Iowa! ha. Do you know how many people made it from the DM audition? I ended up auditioning in Chicago because it was closer, but I was just wondering.

BTW -Congrats on getting accepted as a Character Performer. Are you having a blast?

Oh yeah, there were maybe 75 people, I chatted with about 7, at the audition in Des Moines and I actually was in the same training group with 2 of them once I arrive - I have crossed paths with all of the others as well. One of my Bobs that I work with a lot is from Davenport, we talk about Iowa a lot together.

I love it down here!! If you're interested in learning more you can create a livejournal account and befriend me - I have tons of character information on there, especially for people who are in my height range.

Oh yeah, I met about 7 people at the audition in Des Moines and I actually was in the same training group with 2 of them once I arrive - I have crossed paths with all of the others as well. One of my Bobs that I work with a lot is from Davenport, we talk about Iowa a lot together.

I love it down here!! If you're interested in learning more you can create a livejournal account and befriend me - I have tons of character information on there, especially for people who are in my height range.

I'm creating one as we speak. :)

I attended the Phoenix audition yesterday! There were about 45-50 people. The audition was for Disneyland and Disney World, and the recruiters were both from Disneyland. The whole audition lasted approx. 2 hours, and we didn't dance at all. (I was surprised) Everything was animation-based. The recruiters pulled 6 girls for face character consideration. They told everyone we would get an answer by email in 2-3 weeks. The recruiters also accepted headshots and resumes from those who brought them.
I just had my audition yesterday, too (in OKC). I think there were 56 people there (including one person in a pirate costume!). That's really interesting that you didn't dance. We danced a ton (and my arms are so sore today!). To my knowledge, they didn't pull anyone for face, though they did ask some people to stay and do the dance/animation (which were combined) again so that they could record it. I heard from our campus rep that this is probably because they are considering them more to be parade dancers, though I don't know if that's true.

Well, I got a reply e-mail (looks like I might be the first one too) and I've been put in the character pool :confused: I thought that this probably wouldn't happen because of the fact that I was at the Rochester audition, which was the first one along with Chicago, but it's happened. I also posted this on the Facebook group, but any opinion on what I should do? Like I mentioned above, I measured 5'7".

Any success stories from character poolers turned performer?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter