Cart Narcs ... I mean, I get it, but when did this become a thing?

If you return your cart (as you should) just make sure to lock your car if you're not parked right next to the corral. There were some cases in my town of people swiping purses out of cars while the owner was returning their cart.

On Monday afternoon, about 3:45, still light, I was in Trader Joe’s parking lot after completing the last of my Thanksgiving shopping. Pushing my shopping cart, I walked to return it to its resting spot. During that time, (about 25 seconds) a man opened my car door, which I had foolishly left unlocked (NEVER EVER DO THIS AGAIN!!) and STOLE MY PURSE with the usual treasures inside, credit cards, cash, check book, cellphone, other cards, etc. etc. I was stunned, not really upset, but left in a sense of unbelieving.
https://westportnow.com/index.php?/v3/comments/letter_unhappy_shopping_experience/
Yeah that would be a given here.

Well mostly b/c there isn’t always a cart inside. But that just shows you how much of thing it is here that no one returns them & no ones cares.
Yeah, must just be conditioning. We always have carts inside around here but a pretty good percentage get returned to the cart corral (depending on the neighborhood/clientele).

Part of my anger about this subject is I've always loved and cared for cars. When I was young, my mom's car was hit hard enough by a cart that it needed body/paint work. I think I associate some of that damage with each person I see that is too careless to take 20 seconds to return a cart.

My husband listens to this radio show and I have listened and watched Cart Narcs more than a few times. Yes, the guy does what he can to get a reaction from people - usually he calls them "lazy bones" and people lose their minds! However, I agree with him. Put you cart back. It's called courtesy and it's not rocket science. Stop being so fricking lazy. It's takes what - 20 seconds? 30 seconds??

I don't want my car damaged by a cart that someone failed to put in a corral. That's what they are there for...

Last edited:
Yeah, must just be conditioning. We always have carts inside around here but a pretty good percentage get returned to the cart corral (depending on the neighborhood/clientele).

Part of my anger about this subject is I've always loved and cared for cars. When I was young, my mom's car was hit hard enough by a cart that it needed body/paint work. I think I associate some of that damage with each person I see that is too careless to take 20 seconds to return a cart.

Same thing happened to my mom's new car back many many years ago She came out from her job in the shopping center and the quarter panel had a huge dent in it. She never knew what happened until a clerk at the grocery store told her many months later that he witnessed it happen and didn't tell anyone.

Where are the cart narcs when I offer to take the cart of that mother with the kids for her or pick up the derelict cart on the curb because I'm going there anyway or straighten the slew of carts rolling out of the loosely populated cart corral at Costco so others can actually drive around the excess? Hmm? Do I get points for that or do I just get shamed because it was raining, the kids were cranky and my back was sore for putting the cart safely with the wheels stuck on a curb instead of walking halfway through the lot to put it with it's overflowing brethren in the middle of a very large puddle?

Where are the people who would be kind enough to say, oh, I'll take that for you, instead of calling them out for what may well be a onetime thing midst an exhausting day, having finished the shop after a shift on their feet for 10 hours.

All I'm saying is this is not something someone should be judging. There's way too much surface judging in this world. Where are the people who might smile at you to make your day better instead of berate you to make sure you have a miserable day?

That doesn’t happen where I live. But then again my city is referred to as Bad News lol. And a Cart Narc may get a reaction he really wouldn’t want.

I usually park way away from everyone because people are stupid. And I’ll hoof the cart to a corral except if it’s like a rain storm etc.

Well mostly b/c there isn’t always a cart inside. But that just shows you how much of thing it is here that no one returns them & no ones cares.
if shoppers return carts to the store or cart corral, more carts are more organized and available in one place for the Courtesy Clerks* to get a lot to or into the store more efficiently so more carts faster.
If you return your cart (as you should) just make sure to lock your car if you're not parked right next to the corral. There were some cases in my town of people swiping purses out of cars while the owner was returning their cart.
I'm curious why anyone would place a purse in the car more than a couple of seconds before they get in? I mean, my purse stays on me.

Seriously 4 pages on grocery carts ?!?!! Is this what life has come to?

why can’t we discuss something more important? TP over or under, now that is way more important. I am an over in a house of unders.

Where are the cart narcs when I offer to take the cart of that mother with the kids for her or pick up the derelict cart on the curb because I'm going there anyway or straighten the slew of carts rolling out of the loosely populated cart corral at Costco so others can actually drive around the excess? Hmm? Do I get points for that or do I just get shamed because it was raining, the kids were cranky and my back was sore for putting the cart safely with the wheels stuck on a curb instead of walking halfway through the lot to put it with it's overflowing brethren in the middle of a very large puddle?

Where are the people who would be kind enough to say, oh, I'll take that for you, instead of calling them out for what may well be a onetime thing midst an exhausting day, having finished the shop after a shift on their feet for 10 hours.

All I'm saying is this is not something someone should be judging. There's way too much surface judging in this world. Where are the people who might smile at you to make your day better instead of berate you to make sure you have a miserable day?
So you're ok with people judging if you're doing something "good", but they shouldn't judge if you're doing something "bad"?

They sound like a bunch of dbags with way too much time on their hands.
Exactly this!! I find these guys rude and aggressive. Don’t approach someone in a parking lot with a camera. It’s common sense. And when they get cussed out they act shocked. Is it nice to return a acart, yes of course. Are you the worst person ever if you don’t? No. I can think of a few worse people right now but I won’t go there

I return my cart. Back in 1999 my then one month old truck was side swiped by a wind blown cart. Cost me $985 to repaint the damage. ($985 = $1,544 in 2020 dollars) I had a $1000 deductible so it was out of my pocket.

Question for the people who live in areas where it isn’t expected to return your carts...what do you do with them? I’m having a hard time picturing a place they can go without being an inconvenience to someone.

I can only picture them either blocking yourself from being able to leave your spot, blocking someone else from getting to their car, blocking an empty space or in a pathway for cars. Or is it just accepted that one of those things is going to happen with every cart?

I feel like I’m missing something.

The only times I don't return my cart is if someone takes it from me or I was shopping with my son when he was younger and was unable to park close to the cart park. I shop at big y and they have the parents park section right next to them so it's a non issue. Now I usually end up returning multiple carts for other people just to keep the area clear and help the cart pusher do there job.

This thread reminds me of this, but I don't think returning carts is necessarily a generational thing. View attachment 500060

My mom has always stacked the plates because she once worked as a waitress and likes to be helpful. I have found though that some servers don't prefer this because the customers will stack them incorrectly making them actually harder to cary. They all have their own preferred system. Like there looks like there might be a bowl under the brown plates there - might not be as helpful as you think. I usually jsut partially do it, like with just plates so I know it won't be an issue.

Last edited:
So you're ok with people judging if you're doing something "good", but they shouldn't judge if you're doing something "bad"?
Judge away - everybody judges everything according to their own sensibilities. But for gawd sake roll your eyes or shake your head while keeping your trap shut and minding your own business. Maybe even retrieve and return the next abandoned cart you see and claim a selfless moral victory, at least in your own imagination. Be the change, right?

This idea of shoppers being accosted and harassed by a vlog crew is outlandish. Anybody that takes pleasure in seeing other people “get theirs” in such a humiliating way ought to do a little introspection as to the root of their mean-streak.

The bit sounds lame but I agree with the idea behind it. You can make all the excuses you want.. but most of the time it's pure laziness and lack of concern for others. Not returning carts and littering -- ugh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter