Cart Narcs ... I mean, I get it, but when did this become a thing?

cobright

DIS Veteran
For those who don't know, Cart Narcs is a 'bit' video series done by a 'popular' radio show call (I think) 'The Woody Show'.

The premise is they wait in parking lots for people to not return their cart to a provided cart corral and then run up on those people to confront them over it. A climax of each bit is the Narc putting a magnetic bumper sticker on the person's identifying them as a horrible person. In several cases, as the shopper is attempting to simply ignore the guy and drive off, the Narc will push the persons cart behind their car so they have to stop and get back out or (in cases where they don't see it happen) they hit it.

I have to admit I was a bit shocked, and it seems to be a generational divide. The vast majority of people polled on this support the CartNarcs.

The most common opinion is that only horrible people (and some handicapped) would even think to not return a cart to the provided corral. I take my cart to the corral 95% of the time. When I don't, it's because there isn't a corral close enough. I've always seen this as a courtesy, something I'm doing to help the store out a bit if I have the time. I kind of find the idea that there is a social requirement to do this a bit offensive.

The funny thing is that the pro-Narc position seems to have an "of course you're supposed to put them in the corral" mentality as if this is something that's been true forever.

I think this may be true for European countries, my Brit friend was shocked when he saw store employees bagging his groceries. But cart corrals for the middle of parking lots were invented in 1991, and did not get used much at all until the mid 90s. I'm 45 years old, until sometime in my 20s the norm was to unload your cart and place it at the head of your parking spot. This was the way shopping worked since the late '30s when shopping carts were invented.

Which is another aspect of the attitude I see... that it's the least I can do in exchange for the use of the cart ... which is just silly. Those carts are not there as a favor to us. They were invented because if we only had hand baskets we would buy much much less stuff. The price of my groceries includes the use of a cart and someone to come collect them from the parking lot every couple of hours. Some stores, like Aldi, use a coin deposit system on the carts and they also don't bag or provide bags, and their prices are much much cheaper for most things.

Another common argument is that corralling ones cart is the least one can do to help out the low-paid worker. But we're talking about hourly workers. Every job a grocery bagger or stocker can be put to doing is going to be more demanding than wrangling carts. At 14 I was a bagger and the highlight of my shift was collecting carts or sometimes taking bottle returns (back then a store employee took your cans and counted and sorted them for you).

I see the shopping cart return, much like the can deposit machines, as another case of the stores giving us less while charging us the same. Or the self checkout aisles, a method to get the same amount of customers through while hiring fewer and fewer people. Because all that time you save the store by corralling your carts doesn't make it so the low paid worker has less to do, it just makes it so there are less of them.

For those who don't know, Cart Narcs is a 'bit' video series done by a 'popular' radio show call (I think) 'The Woody Show'.

The premise is they wait in parking lots for people to not return their cart to a provided cart corral and then run up on those people to confront them over it. A climax of each bit is the Narc putting a magnetic bumper sticker on the person's identifying them as a horrible person. In several cases, as the shopper is attempting to simply ignore the guy and drive off, the Narc will push the persons cart behind their car so they have to stop and get back out or (in cases where they don't see it happen) they hit it.

I have to admit I was a bit shocked, and it seems to be a generational divide. The vast majority of people polled on this support the CartNarcs.

The most common opinion is that only horrible people (and some handicapped) would even think to not return a cart to the provided corral. I take my cart to the corral 95% of the time. When I don't, it's because there isn't a corral close enough. I've always seen this as a courtesy, something I'm doing to help the store out a bit if I have the time. I kind of find the idea that there is a social requirement to do this a bit offensive.

The funny thing is that the pro-Narc position seems to have an "of course you're supposed to put them in the corral" mentality as if this is something that's been true forever.

I think this may be true for European countries, my Brit friend was shocked when he saw store employees bagging his groceries. But cart corrals for the middle of parking lots were invented in 1991, and did not get used much at all until the mid 90s. I'm 45 years old, until sometime in my 20s the norm was to unload your cart and place it at the head of your parking spot. This was the way shopping worked since the late '30s when shopping carts were invented.

Which is another aspect of the attitude I see... that it's the least I can do in exchange for the use of the cart ... which is just silly. Those carts are not there as a favor to us. They were invented because if we only had hand baskets we would buy much much less stuff. The price of my groceries includes the use of a cart and someone to come collect them from the parking lot every couple of hours. Some stores, like Aldi, use a coin deposit system on the carts and they also don't bag or provide bags, and their prices are much much cheaper for most things.

Another common argument is that corralling ones cart is the least one can do to help out the low-paid worker. But we're talking about hourly workers. Every job a grocery bagger or stocker can be put to doing is going to be more demanding than wrangling carts. At 14 I was a bagger and the highlight of my shift was collecting carts or sometimes taking bottle returns (back then a store employee took your cans and counted and sorted them for you).

I see the shopping cart return, much like the can deposit machines, as another case of the stores giving us less while charging us the same. Or the self checkout aisles, a method to get the same amount of customers through while hiring fewer and fewer people. Because all that time you save the store by corralling your carts doesn't make it so the low paid worker has less to do, it just makes it so there are less of them.
I've never seen the bit, but I'm not totally against them. IMO, I don't care how far the cart corral is, the least you can do is take your cart there or to the front of the store. With rare exception, we can all use the extra 25-50 steps it would normally take to put the cart away.

Too often I'll see a cart taking up a parking spot (not right in the middle of it, but enough that the spot can't be used).

Having the carts in the corral also helps if for some reason they would start rolling and ding someone's car.

I'm also one who believes in "return things the way you found them (or better)".

I see it as a courtesy not a requirement. I have been known to walk my cart all the way back inside the store. The only time I haven’t put a cart in the corral was when I had twin babies in the bucket type seats and couldn’t find a space near one. I wasn’t going to lock my kids in a hot vehicle (and possibly accidentally lock my keys in with them) or leave them alone for even a second. Nowadays those babies walk the cart back for me.

I always put the cart back so it doesn't block a parking spot or hit someone's car. It is just what I consider my default behavior. I just don't leave things laying around regardless of expectation.

However, I do not like the sound of the premise being described and they sound like horse rears.

I’m older than you and I remember before parking lot corrals we walked to cart to the front of the store.

I find people's willingness to return a cart to have pretty good correlation to the type of person they are. Commonly they have been selfish people who think the world revolves around them. They can't be inconvenienced to spend 15 seconds on something that doesn't directly benefit them in that moment.

Fully support public shaming of those that refuse to return shopping carts. 👍

I always put the cart back so it doesn't block a parking spot or hit someone's car. It is just what I consider my default behavior. I just don't leave things laying around regardless of expectation.

However, I do not like the sound of the premise being described and they sound like horse rears.
This is me. Even when I had multiple babies/young kids, I always took the cart back. Was it a pain sometimes? Sure. But I felt it was my responsibility. And it drives me nuts when people don’t. But going to so far as to damage someone’s car over it or just generally shaming someone over it, is too much.

If those making the videos have that much free time on their hands to sit around a parking lot waiting for a cart to not be returned, maybe they should do something positive and return the cart for the people. Sounds like yet another 'social media' type who wants to create a confrontation so they can post it online and get lots of 'views/likes'.............such nonsense !!!

[
If those making the videos have that much free time on their hands to sit around a parking lot waiting for a cart to not be returned, maybe they should do something positive and return the cart for the people. Sounds like yet another 'social media' type who wants to create a confrontation so they can post it online and get lots of 'views/likes'.............such nonsense !!!

Exactly.....I return my cart probably 98% of the time but if someone tried that with me I'd lock my car doors and call the police. Hopefully if enough others do the same it won't be "fun" anymore.

I see a lot of un-returned carts around handicapped spaces. I'm assuming at least some of them may be left by the people using those spaces since the cart corrals tend to be a lot further from the store entrance than the handicapped spots. I can just imagine someone trying that with my elderly mother. She'd wipe the pavement with them. I can see others being terrified.

So, if you're shopping alone with your little ones, you put them safely in their car seats and... what do you do with this cart when the return is across the parking lot? Between leaving my kids or the cart, my kids win every time. A cart narc's nastiness isn't as bad as having my kids kidnapped or removed by social services for neglect.

And if you're elderly, but still able to be independent, maybe you rely on that cart of some stability (also if you have a lower body injury, like a sprained ankle). Having had to get the cart either in the store or in the cart corral may have been a bit of a challenge, but now, you need to return it and walk back to your car?

There are plenty of reasons for not returning a cart. Heck, I got trash-talked because I was seen getting into my car with a cart beside me. It wasn't mine. Was I supposed to do someone's job for them?

My thought is those staff getting the carts can use the extra hour of pay. In fact, in one store near me, they hire people who maybe wouldn't have jobs otherwise (special needs) to get the carts. There always seems to be someone just eyeing me and ready to take my cart with a smile when I'm done loading my things.

So, if you're shopping alone with your little ones, you put them safely in their car seats and... what do you do with this cart when the return is across the parking lot? Between leaving my kids or the cart, my kids win every time. A cart narc's nastiness isn't as bad as having my kids kidnapped or removed by social services for neglect.
This one is easy... think ahead and park next to or close to a corral. That way you have the cart immediately to put the kids in it.

And if you're elderly, but still able to be independent, maybe you rely on that cart of some stability (also if you have a lower body injury, like a sprained ankle). Having had to get the cart either in the store or in the cart corral may have been a bit of a challenge, but now, you need to return it and walk back to your car?
How did they get from the car to the cart to begin with if they rely on it? Again, park near the corral to start with. It's easier at the start AND at the end.

There are plenty of reasons for not returning a cart. Heck, I got trash-talked because I was seen getting into my car with a cart beside me. It wasn't mine. Was I supposed to do someone's job for them?
Actually, IMO, there are only a few reasons for not returning a cart. No, you're not responsible for someone else's cart.

My thought is those staff getting the carts can use the extra hour of pay. In fact, in one store near me, they hire people who maybe wouldn't have jobs otherwise (special needs) to get the carts. There always seems to be someone just eyeing me and ready to take my cart with a smile when I'm done loading my things.
So would you go into the store and make a mess intentionally? After all, an employee would have to clean it up in addition to their other duties, so they can use the extra pay, right? What a strange validation.

While I don't agree with confronting and filming people, I do think people (under most circumstances) should return their carts.

Leaving them randomly in the parking lot blocks spaces, and rolling ones could cause damage to parked cars, or even accidents.

If I saw someone trying to load multiple babies into a car, I'd likely offer to return their cart for them, but I also agree with the above - I always used to try and park near the cart return when DS was little.

And the store should put a cart return near the handicapped spaces - that's just common sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter