Car slams into parade in WI

Not law enforcement, the Milwaukee County District Attorney's office and the Milwaukee County judge or Court Commissioner. Given the philosophical differences between Milwaukee County and Waukesha County bail would not have been $1,000 had he been charged in Waukesha with what he is charged with in Milwaukee.
The actual charge he faces is Felony Recklessly Endangering Safety with a Domestic Abuse modifier and misdemeanor Battery with a Domestic Abuse modifier.
How is it not attempted murder? If he did this to anyone else, deliberately punched a random stranger in the face then followed up by deliberately getting the the car and then aiming and running this stranger over, this would more likely be treated like attempted murder wouldn't it, and would likely have stayed in jail.... or am I misunderstanding what attempted murder is?

How is it not attempted murder? If he did this to anyone else, deliberately punched a random stranger in the face then followed up by deliberately getting the the car and then aiming and running this stranger over, this would more likely be treated like attempted murder wouldn't it, and would likely have stayed in jail.... or am I misunderstanding what attempted murder is?
You're misunderstanding what attempted murder is in WI statute. For it to be attempted murder the DA has to prove that the offender planned on killing the victim. Recklessly endangering safety is engaging in an activity that you know or should know could lead to death. What many states call assault with a deadly weapon.
In 70 of the 72 counties in WI Brooks would most likely have stayed in jail. In Milwaukee county though, with a DA that ran on keeping everyone out of jail and the judges that get appointed then run unopposed for decades, it's not all that surprising. Under charging and then making incredibly lenient deals has been the norm since this DA was elected in 2007. I heard about a case this morning of a man facing 1st degree criminal sexual conduct charge for raping a 2 year old that got 1 year of probation and had to go to court ordered therapy rather than the 60 years in prison he should have been facing.

You're misunderstanding what attempted murder is in WI statute. For it to be attempted murder the DA has to prove that the offender planned on killing the victim. Recklessly endangering safety is engaging in an activity that you know or should know could lead to death. What many states call assault with a deadly weapon.
In 70 of the 72 counties in WI Brooks would most likely have stayed in jail. In Milwaukee county though, with a DA that ran on keeping everyone out of jail and the judges that get appointed then run unopposed for decades, it's not all that surprising. Under charging and then making incredibly lenient deals has been the norm since this DA was elected in 2007. I heard about a case this morning of a man facing 1st degree criminal sexual conduct charge for raping a 2 year old that got 1 year of probation and had to go to court ordered therapy rather than the 60 years in prison he should have been facing.
So in this particular state deliberately running someone over with a SUV after weakening the person with a punch to the face, likely disorienting the person if not causing brain damage or a concussion, this is somehow not viewed as NOT planning on killing the victim? That's some tricky mental calisthenics, I don't think my mind bends that way, my conscience gets in the way.

So in this particular state deliberately running someone over with a SUV after weakening the person with a punch to the face, likely disorienting the person if not causing brain damage or a concussion, this is somehow not viewed as NOT planning on killing the victim? That's some tricky mental calisthenics, I don't think my mind bends that way, my conscience gets in the way.
It’s not that it’a not viewed that way, it’s that there is a burden of evidence placed on the DA before making charges. Sans any evidence showing his intent was to kill the individual, or if there is any evidence directly showing he wasn’t intending to kill them (I.e. a text message saying he wanted to injure/scare them) it would be hard to get murder charges to stick (assuming I’m understanding the law in WI), regardless of what your “conscience” tells you.

It’s not that it’a not viewed that way, it’s that there is a burden of evidence placed on the DA before making charges. Sans any evidence showing his intent was to kill the individual, or if there is any evidence directly showing he wasn’t intending to kill them (I.e. a text message saying he wanted to injure/scare them) it would be hard to get murder charges to stick (assuming I’m understanding the law in WI), regardless of what your “conscience” tells you.
Since the dude went out and drove into a crowd shortly after this I would tend to lean into the idea that there may have been some enmity in his orbit for a while that is probably discoverable if someone takes time too look. Seems femicide might have been a thing, people who have this seething hatred tend to like to share it for affirmation.

That's the problem with democracy. The voters get what they want, and deserve what they get.

The fallacy is that Wisconsin can't keep hard-core criminals confined to those two counties. They can go right next door to Waukesha County and kill 5 innocent people.

The other fallacy is with the policy of having zero non-bondable offenses.

In a notorious case like this one, you watch what happens with this killer. They will have a bond hearing, and the DA for Waukesha says she wants to set the bond so high he can't pay it. But someone will pay it, no matter how high they set it. Advocates who believe nobody should be in jail will raise millions if necessary.

I predict he will be out of jail on bond within two weeks -- probably sooner. He'll be out of jail before some of his victims are out of the hospital.

Correct, prosecutors can't just make stuff up. They have to have evidence to support any charges they file.

If they don't have evidence before filing charges, they end up looking stupid, like in the Rittenhouse case.

The other thing you're missing is that this happened and was charged in less than 72 hours. Not a whole lot of time to find evidence of intention, many times these charges are amended many times between initial charging and when a trial actually happens.
In a notorious case like this one, you watch what happens with this killer. They will have a bond hearing, and the DA for Waukesha says she wants to set the bond so high he can't pay it. But someone will pay it, no matter how high they set it. Advocates who believe nobody should be in jail will raise millions if necessary.

I predict he will be out of jail on bond within two weeks -- probably sooner. He'll be out of jail before some of his victims are out of the hospital.
I would bet good money he will be remanded. The multiple cases of bail jumping in both WI and NV are enough, especially in Waukesha County to hold him. When combined with the two bail violations he committed while committing this heinous act, I don't see bail being set.

I would bet good money he will be remanded. The multiple cases of bail jumping in both WI and NV are enough, especially in Waukesha County to hold him. When combined with the two bail violations he committed while committing this heinous act, I don't see bail being set.
I hope you're right, but every advocate in the country is going to be on this case. The purpose of bail is to ensure the defendant's appearance in court. Considering his repeated violations and bail jumping, hopefully they will make him comfortable until trial.

But we'll see.

Correct, prosecutors can't just make stuff up. They have to have evidence to support any charges they file.

If they don't have evidence before filing charges, they end up looking stupid, like in the Rittenhouse case.
Well in the Rittenhouse case, it looked like the prosecutor was finding out evidence at the trial itself.

Last edited:
I think you will see this for a while around large parades. I don't think there is a lot of danger from copycats, though there is always that, but more to make the people feel safe at similar gatherings.

After the Boston marathon bombing races looked very different for a few years as a result. Helicopters circling the course, DHS in full gear at the finish area, ID needed to get close to certain areas. I think you'll see a similar increase in both police presence and the use of blockades like Jersey Barriers for a little while.
Frankly, I was a little surprised that there wasn't something more than sawhorses at the end of the parade route. I will often see garbage trucks parked nose to nose blocking the way.

Frankly, I was a little surprised that there wasn't something more than sawhorses at the end of the parade route. I will often see garbage trucks parked nose to nose blocking the way.

This just makes me sad. We should not have to go to such extremes. I will never understand what makes people do such things.

I know sometimes it is mental illness, but some people are just plain evil.

This just makes me sad. We should not have to go to such extremes. I will never understand what makes people do such things.

I know sometimes it is mental illness, but some people are just plain evil.
It makes me wonder if he was actively being perused by police and ended up on the street.

Edited, I just read that the police did not even have time to respond to the domestic disturbance that initiated the whole thing. I am relived that a police chase did not contribute to the tragedy.

Last edited:
It makes me wonder if he was actively being perused by police and ended up on the street.
He was not being pursued by anybody. That was covered in the press conference yesterday.

He was not being pursued by anybody. That was covered in the press conference yesterday.
Don't you see the narrative taking shape? This poor man was being chased by the Police (no he wasn't) and a rogue cop tried to shoot him for no reason (thank goodness that will be investigated by an outside agency!) and he drove onto the street by accident (never mind that he crashed through several barriers because the street was closed off). It was a horrible tragedy, not a crime! Of course had the cop actually shot him...well then that would definitely have been a crime. In fact just pointing the gun at this poor innocent man was probably a crime anyway!

Nope. "Extraordinary" bail set at $5 million.

Brooks issued a statement: "Hold my beer and watch this!" (jk}

Nope. "Extraordinary" bail set at $5 million.

Brooks issued a statement: "Hold my beer and watch this!" (jk}
I'm surprised by this. I wonder if the Milwaukee judge will revoke his bail in either of those cases.
I heard this afternoon that a state constitutional amendment will be introduced in the assembly when they come back in session that will allow judges to consider likelihood to commit more crimes as part of the bail determination.

The subject in this case has formally been charged with five counts of intentional first degree homicide.

And one sad bit of additional news. One of the children injured has died, raising the total dead to six. I assume an additional count will be added at the appropriate time.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/582906-suspect-in-wisconsin-parade-attack-charged

Since he injured dozens of people, he should be charged with assault with a deadly weapon for each person he injured, in addition to those he murdered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter