Car slams into parade in WI

Yes they did -- and show me shocked (not). And believe me I fully understand the police chief's wanting to make sure people aren't misled into thinking that his officers chasing a fleeing criminal contributed to this tragedy.

But that's a slippery slope and he has to be super careful to not go any farther -- especially toward showing animus toward the defendant.

Regardless of their personal feelings (and in a small town like this, you can be sure that many of the police officers knew at least one of the victims personally), the police have to be the impartial searchers for the truth of what actually happened. That's our role in a situation like this, as hard as it can be sometimes. But the best way to serve the community, the victims, and their families is to conduct a very straight-up investigation based solely on evidence, and not on our personal feelings.

That is really tough, especially in a case like this or one where an officer has been lost. But it's the right way, and the Waukesha police seem to be doing a great job.

I thought that many of these cases are investigated by "outside" agencies to at least try to avoid the appearance of conflict of interest. Especially when it's an officer-involved shooting or use of force. In fact in California there's a new law that requires that the Attorney General's investigators handle cases of any officer involved shootings. However, I'm thinking that if AG investigators are involved in a shooting they'll find another agency to investigate such as the California Highway Patrol or perhaps local law enforcement where the shooting happens.

Ruiz did not offer any details about what led up to the shooting or why the officers needed to use deadly force. He could not say whether Chavez was armed or whether a weapon was found at the scene.​
California Atty. Gen. Rob Bonta announced Wednesday that he had launched an investigation into Chavez’s death.​
A law passed in July requires Bonta’s office to investigate fatal police shootings of unarmed civilians to determine whether criminal charges should be filed.​

I thought that many of these cases are investigated by "outside" agencies to at least try to avoid the appearance of conflict of interest. Especially when it's an officer-involved shooting or use of force. In fact in California there's a new law that requires that the Attorney General's investigators handle cases of any officer involved shootings. However, I'm thinking that if AG investigators are involved in a shooting they'll find another agency to investigate such as the California Highway Patrol or perhaps local law enforcement where the shooting happens.

Ruiz did not offer any details about what led up to the shooting or why the officers needed to use deadly force. He could not say whether Chavez was armed or whether a weapon was found at the scene.​
California Atty. Gen. Rob Bonta announced Wednesday that he had launched an investigation into Chavez’s death.​
A law passed in July requires Bonta’s office to investigate fatal police shootings of unarmed civilians to determine whether criminal charges should be filed.​
None of that nonsense has anything at all to do with the Waukesha case. This case occurred in Wisconsin, not California. California laws don't apply, and don't matter.

No police officer shot anyone in this case.

A frequent-flyer, violent, criminal -- with a conviction for sexually exploiting a minor -- drove his car into a community holiday celebration.

He killed 5 innocent moms, dads, brothers, sisters, husbands, wives, sons, and daughters. He injured more than 40 innocent people, and put 11 innocent children in ICU, with six of them in critical condition.

That is the real situation we are discussing in this thread.

None of that nonsense has anything at all to do with the Waukesha case. This case occurred in Wisconsin, not California. California laws don't apply, and don't matter.

No police officer shot anyone in this case.

A frequent-flyer, violent, criminal -- with a conviction for sexually exploiting a minor -- drove his car into a community holiday celebration.

He killed 5 innocent moms, dads, brothers, sisters, husbands, wives, sons, and daughters. He injured more than 40 innocent people, and put 11 innocent children in ICU, with six of them in critical condition.

That is the real situation we are discussing in this thread.

Well - you don't seem to understand that there was an officer involved shooting in this case. I mean - you didn't hear about that? And you've never heard of a use of force investigation being sent off to a different agency based on conflict of interest considerations? That's all I was getting at.

I thought the discussion was about rumors that the suspect had been fleeing in a high speed chase, and perhaps the use of force. Now maybe I was mistaken about reports of shots being fired, but I'm pretty sure it's been reported that they were, like this:

Waukesha Police Chief Dan Thompson said Brooks is in custody and faces at least five counts of intentional homicide with the possibility of additional charges.​
*****​
Officer fired at the vehicle
Eyewitnesses reported hearing gunshots but Thompson said he does not believe any came from inside the SUV. Thompson said one officer fired at the vehicle in an effort to stop the driver.​

Well - you don't seem to understand that there was an officer involved shooting in this case. I mean - you didn't hear about that? And you've never heard of a use of force investigation being sent off to a different agency based on conflict of interest considerations? That's all I was getting at.

I thought the discussion was about rumors that the suspect had been fleeing in a high speed chase, and perhaps the use of force. Now maybe I was mistaken about reports of shots being fired, but I'm pretty sure it's been reported that they were, like this:

Waukesha Police Chief Dan Thompson said Brooks is in custody and faces at least five counts of intentional homicide with the possibility of additional charges.​
*****​
Eyewitnesses reported hearing gunshots but Thompson said he does not believe any came from inside the SUV. Thompson said one officer fired at the vehicle in an effort to stop the driver.​
5 people dead and your focus is on the policeman who tried to stop it? I seriously have no words!

Well - you don't seem to understand that there was an officer involved shooting in this case.
You don't seem to understand the difference between an officer shooting a human being, and an officer shooting to try to stop a vehicle about to plow into a crowd of innocent "Dancing Grannys" and children.
And you've never heard of a use of force investigation being sent off to a different agency based on conflict of interest considerations?
Oh, of course. We've had that policy in South Florida for about 25 years, smh. Glad to hear that CA is catching up.

People recognize deflection -- even really clumsy deflection.

People recognize deflection -- even really clumsy deflection.

What? I mention one thing about how this might be investigated and somehow I'm deflecting from what? I don't get it. I never once defended the perp or try to excuse anything that happened.

I just saw you mention something about who is going to investigate this incident and had nothing more than a comment on the side. Nothing more than happens every day here on this forum and that usually goes without people accusing others of trying to somehow deflect.

I think the officer firing a shot at the SUV to try to stop the threat was a very small part of this story; certainly not the main part. Former Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis discussed this today after the press conference on Fox News, but I can’t find footage of that part of the discussion online. Basically he said that the officer was justified to try to stop the perpetrator who was in the active process of harming and killing others, but when the officer realized there was no longer a clear shot and there could be damage to innocent bystanders, he stopped. I’m not sure I’d classify this as an “officer involved shooting”. One or a few shots were fired, but apparently missed, and no one was harmed from the gunfire.

As an aside, I was at a large parade on Saturday and noticed there was a huge police presence - we watched bomb sniffing dogs doing their thing, and lots of different types of police officials all over the place. At the time I thought maybe it was overkill. Now I realize how wrong I was. I have the feeling this incident is going to change the way people think about parades the same way movie theater shootings changed the way people thought about going to the movies, which is very sad.

BTW I would like to hear more about the officer who was seen running after the SUV! That was something.

Wisconsin is one of the friendliest states that I have ever visited. Good people. Beautiful scenery. An amazing sense of community. I am in a somber mood this morning.

My heart breaks for all the families. Such an incomprehensible tragedy. I've just read there will be an investigation into WHY the perp was given such a low bail amount for his previous domestic abuse charge THIS MONTH!
Thank you. I've lived in SE WI almost my entire life. We have a beautiful state with great places to see and visit and the people of WI are just as nice. No one deserves this.

My heart breaks for all the families. Such an incomprehensible tragedy. I've just read there will be an investigation into WHY the perp was given such a low bail amount for his previous domestic abuse charge THIS MONTH!
Thank you. I've lived in SE WI almost my entire life. We have a beautiful state with great places to see and visit and the people of WI are just as nice. No one deserves this.

Part of the domestic abuse charge was that he literally ran over a woman with this SUV.

Part of the domestic abuse charge was that he literally ran over a woman with this SUV.
Wait, what? If running a woman over with a SUV ended up domestic abuse then this is what he did to a person he lives with and someone in law enforcement figured he's safe to have out and about around other people? I just couldn't read any more so not keeping up.

Also what is up with having special diminishing names for crimes against women, like "domestic abuse" instead of just straight up attempted murder? Prostitution where the trafficking victim goes to jail but not the attackers who are literally paying another man for permission & the privilege of abusing the victim, where it is called a victimless crime? This sort of separate but equal for women and children vs men simply has got to go.

Last edited:
Let’s all stop and just take a second to allow law enforcement to collect all the facts before talking about motive, response, or what could have prevented this. No use discussing these topics until official channels have produced some reports/results of investigations.

*****​
Wisconsin does have third party review of police involved shooting.

Let’s all stop and just take a second to allow law enforcement to collect all the facts before talking about motive, response, or what could have prevented this. No use discussing these topics until official channels have produced some reports/results of investigations.

Well this is what we’ve become. Not surprising. At all.

Wait, what? If running a woman over with a SUV ended up domestic abuse then this is what he did to a person he lives with and someone in law enforcement figured he's safe to have out and about around other people? I just couldn't read any more so not keeping up.

Also what is up with having special diminishing names for crimes against women, like "domestic abuse" instead of just straight up attempted murder? Prostitution where the trafficking victim goes to jail but not the attackers who are literally paying another man for permission & the privilege of abusing the victim, where it is called a victimless crime? This sort of separate but equal for women and children vs men simply has got to go.
"...he punched her in the face and then as she walked away through the gas station parking lot until Brooks ran her over his vehicle, a 2010 maroon Ford Escape, the complaint says. The vehicle is similar to the description of the SUV involved in the parade tragedy." https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.jsonline.com/amp/8717524002

Not law enforcement, the Milwaukee County District Attorney's office and the Milwaukee County judge or Court Commissioner. Given the philosophical differences between Milwaukee County and Waukesha County bail would not have been $1,000 had he been charged in Waukesha with what he is charged with in Milwaukee.
The actual charge he faces is Felony Recklessly Endangering Safety with a Domestic Abuse modifier and misdemeanor Battery with a Domestic Abuse modifier.

As an aside, I was at a large parade on Saturday and noticed there was a huge police presence - we watched bomb sniffing dogs doing their thing, and lots of different types of police officials all over the place. At the time I thought maybe it was overkill. Now I realize how wrong I was. I have the feeling this incident is going to change the way people think about parades the same way movie theater shootings changed the way people thought about going to the movies, which is very sad.

I think you will see this for a while around large parades. I don't think there is a lot of danger from copycats, though there is always that, but more to make the people feel safe at similar gatherings.

After the Boston marathon bombing races looked very different for a few years as a result. Helicopters circling the course, DHS in full gear at the finish area, ID needed to get close to certain areas. I think you'll see a similar increase in both police presence and the use of blockades like Jersey Barriers for a little while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!