Car slams into parade in WI

If the mods feel that POS falls under their no curse words rule they will probably just delete that post not shut the whole thread down over it.
And if the mods feel the conversation surrounding a low bail stray too far they will handle it as they see fit. My only point was you seem to be engaging in the very conversation that you told me you didn't want to debate about. Regardless it's fine, moving on :)

Five counts of intentional homicide for Mr. Brooks.
Intentional First Degree Homicide.

The other important factoid they released is that Brooks was NOT fleeing from the police. They did not give any reason for his actions, and may not know -- but that's certainly not something they should be discussing publicly.

The police department will be sending out a press release with more details, including some information on the five deceased people, shortly.

One thing is clear. First responders, bystanders, and medical personnel, all did an outstanding job in the face of this tragedy. God Bless them all. 🙏🏻 And many prayers for those lost or injured, and their loved ones, as well as their community.
Yes. This was a big community event and there were apparently quite a few off-duty police officers, firefighters, EMS personnel, doctors, nurses, etc in attendance. They immediately jumped in and helped with triage, treatment, packaging and transport, and even incident command. They probably saved some lives.

Sometimes a criminal just made a bad decision or acted desperately and you hope they pay their debt to society and learn a lesson. This guy seems from all accounts like a waste of flesh that has no redeeming qualities and him being off the streets, and frankly off the planet, are a positive for humanity.

Beyond the victims and their families I really feel for the witnesses, especially children. I image there will be some PTSD fallout for a lot of people.

Intentional First Degree Homicide.

The other important factoid they released is that Brooks was NOT fleeing from the police. They did not give any reason for his actions, and may not know -- but that's certainly not something they should be discussing publicly.

The police department will be sending out a press release with more details, including some information on the five deceased people, shortly.

If that is truly the case, and he was also in a non-compromised state, the depravity of this act rises...I wonder if Wisconsin, which does not have the death penalty, would ask for federal intervention and charges at that level which do the include the death penalty for the acts he commited...

His rap sheet is available from the State of Wisconsin. It’s very long. I looked through it briefly and didn’t see that he had hit another woman with his car before (as @robinb has posted from an article above), but I did see that he was charged with strangling one, among many other crimes. Not sure what his motive for this was, but he’s definitely not an upstanding member of the community, by any means.
You can see that he is being sued by an insurance company. My guess is that they insured the woman who was hit.

If that is truly the case, and he was also in a non-compromised state, the depravity of this act rises...I wonder if Wisconsin, which does not have the death penalty, would ask for federal intervention and charges at that level which do the include the death penalty for the acts he commited...
I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a federal capital-punishment charge that could apply here. In fact, I can't think of any federal charge that would apply.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a federal capital-penalty charge that could apply here. In fact, I can't think of any federal charge that would apply.

If they use his social media, hate crime statutes - like they used for Dylan Roof (who ultimately pled to state charges as well).

If they don't, there are some domestic terrorism statutes that probably could also apply. But the Roof case has precedent and appeals court approval of the use of the punishment.

Thank you. I got it pulled up and started right as they were talking about closing the schools down (I think that's what was said) which seemed quite understandable in a very sad sad way.
Once the decision was made to be closed today, absolutely understandably, and knowing that the district was already scheduled to be out Wednesday-Friday I absolutely expected them to close tomorrow too. Many districts and parochial schools in the Milwaukee area are closed for the entire week anyway. My own kids only have today and tomorrow.

If they use his social media, hate crime statutes - like they used for Dylan Roof (who ultimately pled to state charges as well).

If they don't, there are some domestic terrorism statutes that probably could also apply. But the Roof case has precedent and appeals court approval of the use of the punishment.
I think both of those approaches are big stretches, but if there is any merit to federal charges there is plenty of time for that.

For now, the feds should just stay out of the way except for offering crime lab help if the WI authorities need it (doubtful they need it, IMO).

Right now, I'm sure the focus is conducting a very careful, professional investigation, protecting the integrity of all aspects of the case, and helping the community begin to heal.

Maybe if it's a hate crime...

The other important factoid they released is that Brooks was NOT fleeing from the police.
CNN ran hard with this rumor. It was the big headline on their website for much of the day. I think authorities wanted to correct it ASAP, based on how CNN and others reported on another recent case before it went to trial.

CNN ran hard with this rumor. It was the big headline on their website for much of the day. I think authorities wanted to correct it ASAP, based on how CNN and others reported on another recent case before it went to trial.
Yes they did -- and show me shocked (not). And believe me I fully understand the police chief's wanting to make sure people aren't misled into thinking that his officers chasing a fleeing criminal contributed to this tragedy.

But that's a slippery slope and he has to be super careful to not go any farther -- especially toward showing animus toward the defendant.

Regardless of their personal feelings (and in a small town like this, you can be sure that many of the police officers knew at least one of the victims personally), the police have to be the impartial searchers for the truth of what actually happened. That's our role in a situation like this, as hard as it can be sometimes. But the best way to serve the community, the victims, and their families is to conduct a very straight-up investigation based solely on evidence, and not on our personal feelings.

That is really tough, especially in a case like this or one where an officer has been lost. But it's the right way, and the Waukesha police seem to be doing a great job.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter