• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cancelled ADR"s for Double Booking?

Have you ever tried going to a popular restaurant on a Saturday night without a reservation? Even Applebees in my area can post 2hr+ waits. Would you really want to take that much time out of your vacation to wait for a meal every night?

The other unintended consequence of no ADRs would likely be MUCH longer waits at all the counter service locations, because people who don't want to bother with the long waits for TS would add to the traffic at CS in the parks. So in effect, you've created a system where no one is likely to get a meal in a timely fashion at normal meal times.

Disney does need to be clearer about what an ADR is, because it isn't a reservation in the traditional sense but rather more like call-ahead seating, but doing away with ADRs altogether is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
I agree. I rather wait 20 or even 30 minutes for an ADR than 2 hours for a walk up. No way!

I like the idea of having a credit card hold on all advance dining reservations that way those with legitimate ADRs can be sorted out from the folks who are double and triple booking popular restaurants and times all on the same night, just so they can "make the most out of their vacation."

I don't know that it would really deter that many people, at least not among the uber-planning DIS types. Most firm up their plans well before the 24 hour cancellation penalty window, so there would still be people double booking at 90 out and canceling the extras when park hours come out or when travel dates are set in stone. It might deter those who are booking several ADRs in order to "wing it" in terms of which parks to visit each day, but that's only one facet of the problem.

You really have to wonder who books more meals than they are really going to do. Im sure some people must book 2 TS meals daily until the day comes and they make up their mind which one they want and then they just cancel one of them. Who really needs 2 TS and 1 CS meals per day?

I know people that do 3 TS per day. I personally think it's too much but they enjoy it.

Three in one day was a bit much for us, but we like having two TS (but no CS) in one day. That's why we do the deluxe plan. :goodvibes

maybe they can make a fastpass machine outside Lecellier everyone can run when the park opens and get their time to come back :rotfl2:

I think Disney should have credit card guarantees on all reservations. I'm sure some people would be upset if they did that, but I think it would end a lot of the double bookings.

While I don't condone double booking simply to have options once you get there, I do know that there are times when double booking is perfectly justified. We know many locals and want to meet up with them at Disney for dinner but at times want to split up to do that. For example, my husband may want to go and have dinner at one location with some friends while I want to have dinner in another location with other friends. But since we are on the same reservation then that could appear as double booking when it is perfectly reasonable.

While I don't condone double booking simply to have options once you get there, I do know that there are times when double booking is perfectly justified. We know many locals and want to meet up with them at Disney for dinner but at times want to split up to do that. For example, my husband may want to go and have dinner at one location with some friends while I want to have dinner in another location with other friends. But since we are on the same reservation then that could appear as double booking when it is perfectly reasonable.

It is reasonable to book the two separate dinner reservations, but perhaps not attached to your room reservation (so that you can do the 90+10 thing). You could call and make a separate reservation at 90 days out from the date that you want to split your meals like anyone else who is not staying on property.

I think Disney should have credit card guarantees on all reservations. I'm sure some people would be upset if they did that, but I think it would end a lot of the double bookings.

Couldn't a credit card guarantee cause more double booking? At least in the earlier days of the ADR process (before park hours and maybe even airline times are solid). I know that I would feel more justified in double booking if I were "paying" for each ressie. I could double book for every night and then cancel the day before, which really wouldn't solve the problems people are having at the 90 day mark

If youre doing a split party then the first res is under one name and the second res is under another. If Mike, Susie, John, and Mary are going to two differant restaurants then Mike is not the name on both ressies even if he makes them.

I think the CC idea is the best so far...however...what would be a reasonable cancellation date so they would not get charged? 24 hours? 7 days? 1 month? Even with all of these...it's may still not be helping those without reservations because they may have settled for their second choice.

Double booking is something Disney need to seriously solve!

Also, those booking for their local friends? Are they booking using the 90+10 system? If so then their friends are not eligible to be booked more than 90 days out if they are not staying on site so booking should be made exactly 90 days on and the confusing double reservation would not apply.

Have you ever tried going to a popular restaurant on a Saturday night without a reservation? Even Applebees in my area can post 2hr+ waits. Would you really want to take that much time out of your vacation to wait for a meal every night?

The other unintended consequence of no ADRs would likely be MUCH longer waits at all the counter service locations, because people who don't want to bother with the long waits for TS would add to the traffic at CS in the parks. So in effect, you've created a system where no one is likely to get a meal in a timely fashion at normal meal times.

Disney does need to be clearer about what an ADR is, because it isn't a reservation in the traditional sense but rather more like call-ahead seating, but doing away with ADRs altogether is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I guess I am in the minority then, because I can't get adr's for the restaurants I want, so yes, I would wait 2 hours for a table, in response to no adr's ever. At least then I MIGHT get the chance to eat at the TS that I would like to dine at ;).

And really, isn't Disney all about waiting anyway? I mean honestly, we wait in line for rides, we wait in line to WAIT in the holding area for shows, we wait for cs, we wait for ts. I guess it's just the magic of Disney :wizard:

Now don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to Disney, I'm just saying that waiting is the price you pay when you go to a popular vacation spot. However, I guess my whole point with the no adr thing, was that I expect to wait in line at Disney, but I can hardly ever get the ts that I want on the day that I am going to a particular park. In essence I personally would wait in line for the ts that I want if it meant I could get in at all.

This is not to mention the fact that I am not a HUGE planner. I know people going to Disney usually have this obsessive thing with planning every minute detail, and if that works for them, then great! I am just saying that I cannot do that, and eliminating the adr system would at least allow some more spontaneity for those of us who can't/won't/don't plan everything. :hug:

I guess I am just thinking that everyone should have the opportunity to get into TS without having to worry about a 2nd or 3rd choice, since very rarely do people get their 1st choice at the time/day that they are looking for. Just a few thoughts :goodvibes

We don't hardly wait for anything at Disney. We purposely tour in the off season so we don't have to wait for much of anything. If an attraction has over a 25 minute wait we Fastpass it and come back later. So if I'm not willing to wait 2 hours to ride Space Mountain, I'm certainly not going to wait 2 hours to eat at Crystal Palace. The ADRs need to go back to 180 days out, along with the calendar and they need to put a credit card hold on all dining reservations.

We don't hardly wait for anything at Disney. We purposely tour in the off season so we don't have to wait for much of anything. If an attraction has over a 25 minute wait we Fastpass it and come back later. So if I'm not willing to wait 2 hours to ride Space Mountain, I'm certainly not going to wait 2 hours to eat at Crystal Palace. The ADRs need to go back to 180 days out, along with the calendar and they need to put a credit card hold on all dining reservations.
By Joe,I think she's got it!!!!:thumbsup2

Not sure that 180 is the answer either. I remember reading a lot of posts exactly like this when it was 180 days as well. Often with the justifications of "you just can't know where you want to eat at 180 days out" and demands for credit card holds.

I am in no way trying to justify double bookings, just pointing out that this is not a new discussion in the past few months.

Additionally, with the exception of free dining and the new system fiascos, posts have been pretty positive about getting what you want with the new 90 day system. (The exception being Fantasmic, and that was even tricky before they changed it from every single night availability to a few times a week.)

I have to say I agree with Shellybaxter about the credit card hold. I'd never thought of it that way, but she's right. So long as you're organized, you won't get stung with the cancellation fee, and you'll feel more entitled to that spot if you're putting your money where your mind is. It's sad, and I don't agree with doing it, but I think it's a very valid point.

Unfortunately, not everyone has the ability to go on off season times due to jobs/other commitments.:confused3 I agree, I enjoy off season as well, but it doesn't always happen. And lately, the off season isn't so off.:rotfl: I went last October, and it was packed, between the f&w and MNSSHP. I wouldn't count on there always being an off season. Disney seems to be getting more crowded with every passing year

Just wondering "per disney standards", what would constitute a double booking? Is there a number of hours rule they go by? Is it if you have 2 during a dinner or lunch time frame??? For instance, if you booked a 5pm and then a 950pm- would that be a double?? How would this be different than if you had a 400 lunch and a 900 dinner? Just wondering since we are west coasters and we tend do late lunches and even later dinners....
Also, we like to park hop and have consdiered the idea of some progressive eating.... such as drinks and apps one place ( says around 4pm), dinner a few hours later ( 6-8pm) and then desserts a few hours ( 9-10 pm)after that all in differrent restaurants and different parks and/or resorts...

My neighbor had hers cancelled in Dec 2007.She booked 2 TS meals per night for the same time because she could not decide. She had one of each cancelled on her.

I guess I am in the minority then, because I can't get adr's for the restaurants I want, so yes, I would wait 2 hours for a table, in response to no adr's ever. At least then I MIGHT get the chance to eat at the TS that I would like to dine at ;).

And really, isn't Disney all about waiting anyway? I mean honestly, we wait in line for rides, we wait in line to WAIT in the holding area for shows, we wait for cs, we wait for ts. I guess it's just the magic of Disney :wizard:

Now don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to Disney, I'm just saying that waiting is the price you pay when you go to a popular vacation spot. However, I guess my whole point with the no adr thing, was that I expect to wait in line at Disney, but I can hardly ever get the ts that I want on the day that I am going to a particular park. In essence I personally would wait in line for the ts that I want if it meant I could get in at all.

This is not to mention the fact that I am not a HUGE planner. I know people going to Disney usually have this obsessive thing with planning every minute detail, and if that works for them, then great! I am just saying that I cannot do that, and eliminating the adr system would at least allow some more spontaneity for those of us who can't/won't/don't plan everything. :hug:

I guess I am just thinking that everyone should have the opportunity to get into TS without having to worry about a 2nd or 3rd choice, since very rarely do people get their 1st choice at the time/day that they are looking for. Just a few thoughts :goodvibes

Personally, I wouldn't waste half my day waiting to eat and eating, not to mention there'd be no WAY to manage a several hour wait for a table with my crew. The kids would mutiny!

I can see where you and other non-planners are coming from - ADRs give planners an advantage, and you'd prefer that not be the case. I don't think a free for all, just show up & wait system is any sort of practical (what kind of spontaneity is there in saying "Well, its 4pm and I know we'll be hungry in an hour or so, so I'd better get in line for a table now"?). It would be a nightmare for the CMs charged with crowd control, a nightmare for families with young children who couldn't handle those kinds of waits for meals, and a nightmare for Disney's bottom line when people like me and the other planners for whom dining is part of the attraction start staying offsite or finding other vacation spots where eating isn't a major hassle.

BTW, we don't do lines, not even at Disney. We travel in the off season, use FastPasses, make ADRs, and plan our trips in such a way that waits of more than a few minutes are rare. And I don't think "very few" people get their first choice ADRs at the time/day they're looking for. I'm quite used to getting 95% of what I want on the day I want, within an hour of my intended time. In all our trips, LeCellier is the only ADR I've ever had to be flexible about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter