Can I use a CR mug at CBR?

We just got back from a stay at OKW and VWL. My DH bought a mug at WL food court. The sign said it was good for refills on "your current stay" and the CM who sold it specifically said it was "good for refills at this resort during your current stay."

Its this simple. Its very unlikely that anyone will stop you ever!!! Your just not going to be caught, so it only comes down to your own values you have for yourself. You know its wrong, yet you know you can get away with it. Its all up to you at this point. Personally, I think using mugs at different resorts and even different years over and over is pretty tacky. I would almost equate it with those slobs you see at the magic kingdom that lied to get an electric wheelchair when they dont need one at all and some poor person that could actually use one cant get one because they are first come first serve. Last year I actually saw 2 younger people commenting that everyone else were suckers for walking around the park when they could just scam a powered wheelchair from disney. Dont you just love those people?

Why is it when someone doesn't agree with someone else, the tone gets nasty. If someone wants to use a mug at another resort it is up to the CM at the new resort to solve that problem(not that this is a problem). People travel to Disney on a very tight budget(otherwise we wouldn't all be looking for discounts on these boards), if someone can save a few dollars one way or another and they are not hurting anyone why don't we just leave them alone and just worry about ourselves. I don't care what people do, think or say. I concern myself about mine and my family's vacation. If I feel that any member of my family is doing the wrong thing I will correct them and no one else. As for soda or coffee in a mug, who cares. We all spend thousands on our trip and I'm sure $10.00 won't make or break it.

There are many, many reasons people use wheelchairs. Alot of these reasons are hidden to the outsiders who don't know them.

Originally posted by cottontail
Hi: For me to buy four mugs, one for each of us at three different resorts for a 10 day stay is $192.00 canadian.

Every l0.00 american is really $l6.00 canadian, so it sure adds up, so for the first resort for 4, l0.00 mugs it will cost me, $64.00 canadian, times 3 for three resorts equals $192.00.

I am better to just go buy a case of soda and keep it in my room. lol

Deb.

I just don't understand why Canadians expect the exchange to be at par. Would you expect to exchange you dollar at par for the Euro? one CD=one Euro? How about teh Japanese yen? In fact I don't hear Canadians complaining because their dollar is "worth more" than the Australian dollar.

Just because they are both called the dollar doesn't mean they are both worth the same at par.

Anne

I would almost equate it with those slobs you see at the magic kingdom that lied to get an electric wheelchair when they dont need one at all and some poor person

Now wait a minute..this thread has nothing to do with this subject. People were not asking if it's ok to cheat..they were asking about the policy. It's hard to "stick" with a policy if it's unclear what it is, and if the CM's encourage you to reuse your mug. The CM's do tell you they are good forever..so that's what most people think.

On the other hand, I went to Disney two years ago with a broken foot (it would have been much easier to stay home, if you dont' mind giving up all the air tickets and deposits, and having very disappointed grands). I can tell you that no one would rent one of the electric carts unless they really need it. The batteries do not always last the day, and you have to stay with your machine until they come and swap it out. It could be a wait of an hour..and it may be in the hot sun..they won't swap it out, if you aren't with your cart. You can't get around anyone, and you are way slower than others, since you have to finangle your way around. When you try to back up, even though you have a bell, no one pays any atention to it. The shops are crowded, and hard to navigate. You can't just "hop" on the rides..often they have to be stopped, and you are stared at, while you try to climb aboard. Although you can go to the front of the line at some of the rides..at most, you are expected, like others, to get fast pass. And on the occasions you do get to go to the front, you also get to hear all the rude people make comments about why you really don't need the cart (which just makes your little grandchildren feel so special..NOT!), or that they should go put a cast on so they can get "special" privileges. I'd like to see those people do it, and see how awful it is, clunking around with this hot, heavy weight on your foot, trying to keep it dry when it rains (since you can't just duck under cover)and having a swollen blue foot at the end of the night.
At AK, it's really hard, because there are hills, and places you just don't fit into. At MK, unless you get to the parade two hours early you can't even find a wheel chair space (and of course people are always tripping over you), and forget about seeing..you are now way shorter than everyone else, and unless you are two hours early, you aren't going to be in front, just because you are in an electric cart.
We swapped it out for a push wheelchair, since it was actually easier than the cart..but believe me, even that was not easy. At the end of hte night, you are not allowed to take them out of the park without a CM..so you have to wait til one is available. Once you get to the bus, you wait in line like everyone else, but your chair is gone, so you are now leaning on crutches, and being pushed and shoved, as the bus loads.
You will never convince me that anyone would use a cart or wheelchair if they didn't really have to. I know that I learned a lesson, and will gratefully help anyone who is in one, or let them go ahead of me. God bless them for even taking the trip. And so maybe you don't see anything that points out to why they are in a chair. Maybe the person just finished chemo, or has a serious heart condition, and ths may be a last trip. No one would use it if they didn't have too..you try it, but try it correctly...don't get out of it, no matter how much you hate it. then come back to these boards and report about "how great" it was to not have to walk.

Hi Anne: I wasn't expecting our dollar to be at par, I was only showing that each family's situation is quite different.

If you were from canada you would remember that back in l990 the dollar was $l.31 for each american dollar, then in 1996 it was $1.41 for an american dollar, but now it is almost out of the reach for canadians to travel to the united states at $1.61 for each american dollar.

Hey we are side by side on the same continent. Not across an ocean away, that is why our money should be closer.

How would you like to take your hard earned $1000.00 and buy travellers checks for your trip and end up with approximately $620.00 to spend. I would think you would like to see a more equal dollar.

I am sure if the shoe was on the other foot, you would surely understand.

Deb.

Anne,

Having been to Australia, I can certainly tell you that pricing is very different -- ie. what you would spend $10 Cdn on would not be what you would spend $10 Australian on. When I compare spending $2.50 for a coke at an Ontario theme park, and I spend the same $2.50 for a coke at a US theme park, there is a big difference because I am spending more for the exact same item. I agree with Cottontail that it would be nice that they be more in line with each other. I did not think she was complaining ... after all, I choose whether or not I wish to travel in the US or spend my money here in Canada (and if we had a WDW, I certainly would be going !) However, I think I can speak for Canadians who saw your post ... I was very offended by your comment about what "we expect" -- please don't generalize people based on where they are from, or for that matter, what they can afford. The poster was only putting the cost of the mugs into reality based on her trip -- which I believe is what this post is about -- not about the dollar value world-wide. I'm sure that if you were to travel abroad, you would surely convert prices to ensure you weren't paying a kings ransom for something.

I think that people are getting away from the point of the question. The poster wanted to know if it was ok to bring the same mug back vacation after vacation. The answer is quite simply, undeniably, NO. No, it's not right to take something that does not belong to you. No, it's not right to steal. No, there is no grey area here. This is quite simple. You are on the honor system--- have some honor!

Yes, it's only soda or coffee or whatever. No, it won't break Disney. No, spening an extra $10, 20, 30, 40, or whatever on mugs won't break a family either. If you want the free refills, spring for the $10. If you don't think that you'll get enough use out of it, don't buy one. But please, don't indulge yourself in the fantasy that just because you're not going to get caught it's ok to take. And yes, people here are looking for discounts to trim the expense off of an expensive vacation. A great discount would be to use someone else's credit card... we don't do that though because it is stealing. It all comes down to this, whether it's $.01 or a million $$$$, if it's not yours, DON'T TAKE IT!!!!

I read one post here that said (in a nutshell) that it's none of your business and you should only be concerned with what your family does. I disagree. Stealing is everyone's problem. It raises costs and sets poor examples. This of course is a symptom of a far greater problem, but this is the Dis board, and not an forum for criminology!!! :-)

Ok.... as you can see, I truly can't stand people who steal! I think that about says it all!!!!

Erin:smooth:

Ok.... as you can see, I truly can't stand people who steal! I think that about says it all!!!!

I agree honesty is the best policy...however, knowing the policy is the hard part here.
I have been told (and I know better) by both CM's and the food court manager, that you are welcome to bring back the mug for life, to the same resort. Last trip (January), I had a "long" chat with a person who said he was the food court manager at one of the Allstars. He said, the sign is up there saying length of stay (I took a picture), but it is really there in case they want to enforce it. I believe he said that the drink manufacturer give sthe drinks in exchange for being part of the Disney advertising. I know the All Sports has a giant cup with this manufacturers name.
So while I think the plicy is very clear on bringing mugs to a different resort than from where you purchased it, I'm not so sure I would consider it "stealing" to return with your past visit mug to the same resort.
I don't believe this is an unenforcable rule..since Disney could easily change the mugs each year. I believe it's like other "gray" rules. It's there, and if needed, it will be enforced (and tons of people have been told that the mugs are "good for life", myself included). I know that Disney has a checkout time, but if you ask, it is often changed. I imagine if everyone started wanting a late check up, Disney would abide by their rule, and never extend it. Similar to the mugs..they seem to have taken the stance, that they'll allow you to bring back your mug for the same resort. Someday they may decide to not allow it..but for now, the cm's and foodcourt workers seem to have been told it's OK..and passed that on to us!

Mickey'sbud,
Its sad, but this year BB stopped allowing refills on the slurpee type drinks. However you can bring you mug back to BB on a different day and have them activate it again for free refills at a discount.

George

DMRick, thanks for clarifing. This was getting into a debate about stealing. I guess everyone has there own opinion about things. oops!! where'd that towel come from. lol

I also would like to 2nd the commect made by Dmrick I have been to Disney several times and have been told by the CM's that the mugs are refillable for every trip. I have only stayed at the All Stars twice and yes I used the same mug both times and will continue to use it on future trips. I would also like to say I am going in May and will be staying at a different resort POR instead of All Stars so I will purchase a new mug for that resort and ask the CM's there if it is good for future trips. I do not call this stealing if Disney did not want it to occur they could change mugs, tell there CM's, etc... I look at it like a perk for staying onsite and encourages me to book the same resort next time instead of going somewhere else.

Thats my 2cents.

When we were there in Sept/01 the cm at check-in was telling me about the mugs and how we should remember to bring them back with us on subsequent trips. I laughed and said we had been there in Feb and bought them and that we had indeed brought them back (since we were told to when we bought them). She said that although this isn't the official policy, the cm's were told to promote this because let's face it, most people either don't remember to bring them back or don't have room to pack them, or stay at different resorts so that for the relatively few guests who are able to take advantage of it can consider it a perk of subsequently returning to the same resort. Based on her explanation, I do not consider it stealing when more than one cm has told me be sure I do exactly that. Now SELLING your mug as your checking out to a new guest checking in could be classified as immoral (lol -- although I wouldn't be surprised to hear that this does happen!)

Now SELLING your mug as your checking out to a new guest checking in could be classified as immoral

Hmm..something new to sell on eBay?

Just kidding!!

We'll also be at POR in May (8th-15th), and will be buying new mugs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter