Can I use a CR mug at CBR?

goofygal531

Always planning...
I don't mean to sound cheap, but DH and I rarely drink soda. We got the mug at CR to use on our morning coffee and a soda here and there. We really don't even get our money's worth for the mug, that's how little we use it.

Would it be a crime to use our CR mug at CBR? I've heard people buy one mug for life and use it all over the world, but I don't want to be shamed upon. I don't mind buying a new mug, but if I can use the CR I'd like too.

This issue has been discussed extensively here on the DIS. While you may hear otherwise from some resort CMs, and there is probably a good chance that nobody would stop you, the official rule appears to be that the mug is good at the resort it was purchased at only.

The official rule also appears to be that the mugs are only good for the length of stay (and so not for future trips to the same resort); however, this rule appears to be universally ignored.

Mugs are only for the specific hotel from which they were bought. I believe sister resorts (like the All-Stars) are interchangeable.

I was at PO Riverside last year and saw a woman using a mug from Fort Wilderness, I believe. No one said anything to her.

It really amazes me that people who spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on their vacation can't spring another $10 for a new mug. Although you may be able to get away with using an old mug from another resort, this was not the intent of the program. We buy a new one each year and use it at home the rest of the time.

Hi
I can understand needing a current mug for the trip you are on, but what happens to people who are splitting stays at two or three wdw resorts. They should have something in place maybe somesort of sticker you get by showing your reservations for a split stay, for that type of stay instead of having to purchase three mugs from three different wdw resorts, afterall you are still in a wdw resort.

Deb.

Not to sound too much like Jiminy Cricket, but please let your conscience be your guide here!

The mugs cost $10, splurge! Or, if you don't get your monies worth out of them, don't buy one.

Sorry, but it REALLY burns me to see people trying to get something for nothing... it amounts to stealing in my book.

Anyway, off the soap box...

Erin:earsgirl:

Hi: For me to buy four mugs, one for each of us at three different resorts for a 10 day stay is $192.00 canadian.

Every l0.00 american is really $l6.00 canadian, so it sure adds up, so for the first resort for 4, l0.00 mugs it will cost me, $64.00 canadian, times 3 for three resorts equals $192.00.

I am better to just go buy a case of soda and keep it in my room. lol

Deb.

Cottontail-

After seeing your post I realized that I should have put a qualifier on mine... I think it's deplorable to bring a mug back vacation after vacation, not to use the same mug for one trip! I can certainly agree that it would be a ridiculous expense on your family to buy a mug over and over again on the same vacation!

Erin :)

Hi Erin:

I really have to sit down and figure out what we will do even for meals, I think we will have to do the counter service, which is fine, and pack a bunch of snacks for our waist bag from home.

I really hate that our government keeps our dollar so low against the american dollar. I love florida but have not been back for 6 years, that is why, that low dollar. Every day the past week it is getting worse, then visa grabs 2% on top of the $1.62 exchange rate. yikes,

I will buy one mug anyways, probably from animal kingdom lodge, as a souvineer, as I will not be buying to many other things. So to me it does make sense to buy something usable for a souvineer. We can use it at home too.

Bye,

Deb.

We bought 2 CBR mugs last year and shared them between dh, dd and myself ~ ds was too young to use the mug (doesn't drink pop). I was debating bringing CBR to CSR in a couple weeks. But as one person pointed out, we spend thousands on the trip, what $10 USF more. Deb, I'm in Canada too. Our trip is costing $7300 CDN, I will buy two new mugs at CSR this trip $32.00 CDN more. We actually saved $$$$ in places, so I'll splurge, but I do like the idea of getting a WDW freebie! S

Hi Sandra:

I haven't added up our trip costs yet, but hubby heard the exhange rate on the tv news at noon today, and said we sure won't be travelling down there for a long time after this trip. Hey it has been 6 years since we were down there last. What does he expect the wait to be next time. lol

My passes I spent two and a half years clicking every morning for point click, but I managed to get 3, 5 day hoppers for free, that is how we can afford to go down and stay onsite this time, and we are driving in a couple of weeks. But I like to have a souvineer of my trip, so I will buy one and take along some styrofoam cups and share the wealth. lol

Deb.

Hi Sandra:

I haven't added up our trip costs yet, but hubby heard the exhange rate on the tv news at noon today, and said we sure won't be travelling down there for a long time after this trip. Hey it has been 6 years since we were down there last. What does he expect the wait to be next time. lol

My passes I spent two and a half years clicking every morning for point click, but I managed to get 3, 5 day hoppers for free, that is how we can afford to go down and stay onsite this time, and we are driving in a couple of weeks. But I like to have a souvineer of my trip, so I will buy one and take along some styrofoam cups and share the wealth. lol

Deb.

Okay, you guys got me! For the $10, I'll buy a new one!:D I don't mind right now since it's just DH and me and we share. But I have to admit, I really can see this being an issue if you have kids. It can get expensive!

But let me ask you this, if you return to the same resort a few years later, do you bring your old mug or buy a new one? (I just love starting debates!:) )

We buy new ones for every trip, but that is because we never stay in the same resort more than once...not yet, since the 1st 2 times anyway! We use the mugs at home and at the local pool and beach, so we do end up getting our money's worth...and we don't resort hop on one vacation... Cottontail is right, that would be ridiculously expensive, and may be the reason that the CM's don't really say anything to those who do use a different resort's mug.

We now have mugs from DXL (before it became PO-R), CBR, WL and the Contemporary. My favorites are still the DXL ones with Brer Bear, Brer Fox and Brer Rabbit on it!

Well...let's talk about water parks and mugs:
Last year we bought 1 mug from TL and we were told that we could bring it back year after year and get refills. Whether that is true or not that is what the CM who sold it to us told us. Then we went to BB and bought another one AND a sticker for the TL mug.
Speaking of BB they have the Slurpee type frozen drinks that are great and you can get as many refills of those that you want too.

Now back to the resorts and mugs:
Check out the prices of the mugs in the room vs. at the fast food location. EX: At the YC the mugs are cheaper at ...the something and Cream shop (can't remember the name...is it Cookies or Beaches? lol)
Anyway, it was the same mug and cost less!!!

I e-mailed Disney

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the many internet discussion boards that revolve around WDW, there are many discussions concerning the reusable mug program at the resorts.

Does WDW have an official policy for the use of these mugs?

The main questions are usually:

1.) Can I use the mug purchased at ABC resort at XYZ resort.
A.) If I visit it?
B.) If I split my stay and move there for the second half?

2.) Can I bring the mug from ABC resort back with me on Subsequent trips to the ABC resort forever?

Thanks for a reply as to the official WDW policy on this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disney's reply

Thank you for contacting WALT DISNEY WORLD!

Please know that the "Souvenir Mug" program at Disney Resorts allow you to refill beverages (including hot coffee & tea) at your Resort for the length of your current stay and is for your resort only. It is not extended to refills at other Disney Resorts or Theme Parks or future visits.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Online Guest Service
WALT DISNEY WORLD
P.O. Box 10100
Lake Buena Vista FL 32830-0100

Originally posted by WDWTrekker
I e-mailed Disney

On the many internet discussion boards that revolve around WDW, there are many discussions concerning the reusable mug program at the resorts.

Does WDW have an official policy for the use of these mugs?

The main questions are usually:

1.) Can I use the mug purchased at ABC resort at XYZ resort.
A.) If I visit it?
B.) If I split my stay and move there for the second half?

2.) Can I bring the mug from ABC resort back with me on Subsequent trips to the ABC resort forever?

Thanks for a reply as to the official WDW policy on this.

Disney's reply

Thank you for contacting WALT DISNEY WORLD!

Please know that the "Souvenir Mug" program at Disney Resorts allow you to refill beverages (including hot coffee & tea) at your Resort for the length of your current stay and is for your resort only. It is not extended to refills at other Disney Resorts or Theme Parks or future visits.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Online Guest Service
WALT DISNEY WORLD
P.O. Box 10100
Lake Buena Vista FL 32830-0100

The only time I have heard info contrary to this is at the Poly... the young lady made a very detailed statement that the poly mug was good for free refills forever... this "young lady" opened the poly when it was first built, and I believe her. She made a very pointed statement that the Poly was the ONLY resort with this policy... what are the facts on this Poly only policy?

We just returned and the hair wrapper at CBR told us she has seen people filling 2 liter bottles at the beverage station and the attendants never say anything. So I don't think Disney is going to go broke on someone using the wrong mug or on more than one trip. The soda mix must be ridiculously cheap for them to offer this in the first place. Disney isn't going to give away something that is going to affect the bottom line. Yeah its magic but it is a business.

The only time I have heard info contrary to this is at the Poly... the young lady made a very detailed statement that the poly mug was good for free refills forever... this "young lady" opened the poly when it was first built, and I believe her.

She is incorrect. Although chances are slim anyone would stop you, the above posted policy is the correct official word. I too have written and asked if this was at each and every restort (that it was for length of stay), and the answer was as stated..only good at your resort and for length of stay. I was told that it was not even good at sister resorts, but the food court managers have had no problems with that. CM and food court managers, often say that you may bring the mug back for other visits, both when selling to you, and in conversation. The "official" word is, that you cannot...at any of the resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!