MinnesoTristan

Mouseketeer
I’m so excited to bring two friends this year for Labor Day weekend, especially since it will be both of their first times!

I was able to book three round trip flights for 45,000 miles, and four hotel nights for 85,000 points, so all we have to buy is our park tickets! We decided on three day base tickets, spending an extra $60 on Genie+ instead of park hopper.

I’m thinking Trader Sam’s for our arrival day, and then back to our hotel for a pool (and spa) night.

Thursday I’m thinking Disneyland for a day of first rides. Friday, I’m thinking a second day at Disneyland to focus on Haunted Mansion Holiday (hopefully it opens the Friday before Labor Day instead of the Friday after).

Saturday will be California Adventure, which I consider one of the most underrated parks with some of my favorite attractions (Radiator Springs Racers and Soarin’).

Would love to hear any suggestions, tips, or tricks for bringing first timers, one friend is so excited she’s already planned her outfits!

To give better suggestions, I would like to know more about who is going, if you are comfortable with providing more information. Have they been to WDW (and what did they like/dislike)? What is thier tolerance for rides (some people are super into thrill rides/the more intense the better and other people are ride cowards, then there are people that are a mix of both). What is thier ride tolerance, especially when it comes to drops or motion sickness? Are there any franchises within Disney that you know that they fans of?

HMH opens on the first day of Halloween Time. That is usually not before Labor Day.
Also I prefer park hoppers for the flexibility.

I remember back to my first visit to Disneyland in 2010. I went with California friends who had grown up going to the parks. It was really amazing to be with people who knew the parks, but after that first visit, all I wanted was to do the parks my way.

Some things to consider
Everything will be sensory overload, so just take your time and don't try to go from ride to ride. So many things will catch their eyes, all the different sounds, even the scents and smells, that you may not notice will catch their attention.

I was woefully wrongly dressed for my first visit. I had no idea about the miles and miles of walking. Tell them to wear comfortable shoes and clothes and really downsize their handbags / park bags. First timers think they need so much stuff but hauling a heavy bag with stuff thats never used / needed will wear them out faster. Also a backpack is easier than an over the shoulder / cross body bag. The strap on cross body bag can irritate the neck on someone who is not used to walking big distances in heat. And bring a cloth bag for merchandise shopping, again for a first timer not used to all the walking in the heat, plastic merchandise bags are hard to manage and bang off legs and will add to the discomfort.

I wouldnt even try to book restaurants or have a plan for the day. On my first visit after every ride, my friends would ask, what did I want to do next, I had no idea, so we just ended up doing the rides they usually do. My friends didnt understand that I knew nothing about the rides and attractions, they just assumed that I knew the parks like they did. I only knew about things like the Castle and Fantasyland and Main Street as thats all thats usually show on TV about Disney parks. Take the time to explain about the rides and themes, explain the difference between an omimover like Haunted Mansion and the dark rides in Fantasyland and the coaster like rides like Indiana Jones and Big Thunder Mountain and the simulator rides like Star Tours. My friends wanted to hit all the their favourite rides, where as I just wanted to explore.

The same with food. They always had lunch in The Plaza, so thats where we ate. It wasn't until I started going solo that I discovered all the other restaurants and food options.

Involve them with food choices, don't just assume that the food you eat or how you eat will be what they want. I found on my visit last week, that snacking throughout the day, was really fun, and gave me more flexibility in the park than planning sit down table service. When I first visited with my California friends their food budget was low, as they visit multiple times in a year so we ate at the cheaper places. Whereas with me, I visit once a year and have a higher food budget.

The same with shopping. My California friends didnt give much time to browsing the shops throughout the park during the day, as it took up time that could be spent on rides. Whereas with me, especially in the first few years when I wasnt sure if I would return the next year, spending time in the shops throughout the day is just as important as rides.

The same with nighttime shows. We staked out a spot right in front of The Castle for the fireworks, as thats what friends grew up doing with their families. When I started going solo I skipped the fireworks and went on rides and discovered Fantasmic and World of Color.

I would also do Disneyland Main Park, then DCA then Disneyland Main Park. I agree that a full day in each park instead of park hopper is a good idea. My first visit with my California friends was park hopper, as thats what they always did, but I would have preferred a slower pace in one park.

Also ask them about early mornings, late nights, chill out time in the middle of the day. When I would go with my friends we never got there for park opening, didnt have any down time in the afternoon and stayed until closing.

Now that I go on my own, I'm in the park for rope drop / park opening, take a break from rides between 2pm and 5pm and find a chill out spot to sit and people watch and then stay until close.

Ask your friends about characters. Meeting characters is not high priority for me, as I didn't grow up going to the parks and dont have nostalgia or an emotional connection but my California friends did and meeting characters was a must do for them.

Finally photopass. It wasnt until Covid and I spent time looking through my photos of previous visits that I realised I had no photos of me in the parks. I used Photopass for the first time on my recent visit and having good photos of me in the parks is something I love and will do again on my next visit.

The main thing is to be aware that this visit is all about them. They have no expectations, everything is a new experience, they wont want to know that Fastpass used to be free but now you have to pay for Lightning Lanes, they don't care that 3 day tickets used to get early opening access, they wont care that you can't hug characters anymore, none of that is relevant as its not part of their park experiences. What they see and experience on their first day is their base point.

Last edited:
It’s fun to visit with first timers! My only suggestion is maybe do Day 1 at Disneyland, Day 2 at DCA, and then back to Disneyland for Day 3. That way they can get a feel for the whole place the first two days, and then you bookend with Disneyland. Have fun!
Personally I love the idea of starting and ending the trip with Disneyland as you suggest, but I’m worried about that third day being a Saturday at Disneyland, because it’s a holiday weekend and might be extra crowded. We haven’t booked our tickets and reservations yet, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

To give better suggestions, I would like to know more about who is going, if you are comfortable with providing more information. Have they been to WDW (and what did they like/dislike)? What is thier tolerance for rides (some people are super into thrill rides/the more intense the better and other people are ride cowards, then there are people that are a mix of both). What is thier ride tolerance, especially when it comes to drops or motion sickness? Are there any franchises within Disney that you know that they fans of?
They are two ladies in their late thirties, one has only been as a child and is super excited about Disney Bounding. The other has never been and is super excited about getting in touch with her inner child. I’ve only ever been to a theme park with one of them (Nickelodeon Universe, Mall of America) and her thrill level was the same as mine, so I think Disneyland will be fine thrill-wise. I asked them if they were ride crushers or vibe chasers, and they both chose vibe chaser, so I don’t anticipate a fast pace or checking things off a list. I think they’re more interested in the experience and just enjoying the parks.

HMH opens on the first day of Halloween Time. That is usually not before Labor Day.
Also I prefer park hoppers for the flexibility.
When I went in September, 2016, it definitely opened the Friday after Labor Day, which was the 9th that year. I’m hoping that since Labor Day falls later this year, it will open the Friday before like it did in 2021.
I have always done five day park hoppers in the past, but usually never used the park hopper until day three or four, so I wasn’t sure if we needed it for the shorter trip. We can always add it later as long as we have days left on our ticket, right?

The main thing is to be aware that this visit is all about them. They have no expectations, everything is a new experience, they wont want to know that Fastpass used to be free but now you have to pay for Lightning Lanes, they don't care that 3 day tickets used to get early opening access, they wont care that you can't hug characters anymore, none of that is relevant as its not part of their park experiences. What they see and experience on their first day is their base point.
You’re absolutely right and that’s my plan, this trip is all about what they want to do, and I’m there for suggestions and tips. I also really want to take a solo trip after reading your response, I have only been to Disneyland Paris solo, and I LOVE the idea of buying PhotoPass for myself.

....late 30s, everything but tickets free, first-timers women group....I think you should have reservations for afternoon cocktails every day. Lamplight, Trader Sam's, Carthay Lounge, Craftman's Grill. And one lovely, unrushed sit down dinner. That's my vibe anyway😄

....late 30s, everything but tickets free, first-timers women group....I think you should have reservations for afternoon cocktails every day. Lamplight, Trader Sam's, Carthay Lounge, Craftman's Grill. And one lovely, unrushed sit down dinner. That's my vibe anyway😄
I love your vibe!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter