Breaking News: No Sail order lifted replaced by conditional sail order

They can’t just reduce the length and do Alaska as shorter itineraries if Canada still isn’t allowing cruise ships and is requiring two weeks of quarantine (and as someone who lives in Canada I would not hold my breath on those restrictions lifting anytime soon. The CDC doesn’t make the call on cruises from Canada.

Without those restrictions going away they’d have to figure out a way to sail out of Seattle. Maybe they’ll do that but there’s a lot to work out to make that happen.

I understand Canada is a big if. I said I am confident they will find a way to do Alaska, even if they have to reduce the number of nights, unless there is something prohibiting from sailing (e.g. Canada). I still think the Wonder is going through the canal one way or another this year.

Looks like they are starting with face coverings and social distancing. Masks, signs, and constant nagging over the speaker systems. I fear the new restrictions will never be removed. Maybe some now and the next generation will be able to enjoy cruising with this new normal. I don't think I will be able to though.

i could be wrong but I seriously doubt whatever restrictions are in place will last forever.

they would never get anyone to come. It may be a while, but I strongly believe that AT SOME POINT these restrictions will be removed. Maybe that day comes when there is a vaccine. Maybe some other day. I don't know. But I seriously doubt they will be in place forever.

They can’t just reduce the length and do Alaska as shorter itineraries if Canada still isn’t allowing cruise ships and is requiring two weeks of quarantine (and as someone who lives in Canada I would not hold my breath on those restrictions lifting anytime soon. The CDC doesn’t make the call on cruises from Canada.

Without those restrictions going away they’d have to figure out a way to sail out of Seattle. Maybe they’ll do that but there’s a lot to work out to make that happen.
They can't go from Seattle because you still have to make a stop in Canada (most Seattle cruises stop in Victoria) so if our Transport Minister extends the ban again, Alaska is over. And right now, living in Canada, I'd say it's 50/50. Definitely not a done deal.

i could be wrong but I seriously doubt whatever restrictions are in place will last forever.

they would never get anyone to come. It may be a while, but I strongly believe that AT SOME POINT these restrictions will be removed. Maybe that day comes when there is a vaccine. Maybe some other day. I don't know. But I seriously doubt they will be in place forever.
Could be a while, but I too agree that it won't be in place forever. I'm hopefully thinking that it will be removed after there a vaccine available for everyone

Seattle-Alaska requires a Canada stop unless someone suspends the PVSA. I highly doubt either the lame duck Congress or the new Congress has that top of list of pandemic-related legislation.

Very glad to hear of the progress! We have a February cruise set and are prepared to sail, but I would really love to know DCL's ideas/protocols/restrictions. I have many that I could not care less about (never eat at buffets, can take or leave the deck party, etc), but theatre shows, characters, and kids activities are a must have. (Oh, and I'd also like the Pirate night fireworks, but I'm kind of a fireworks nut lol... my nephews care more about the pirate part!)
Always glad to have companies able to make their own (hopefully sound) risk management and operation decisions, as well as the individual consumer (also hopefully sound!).

Questions:

No sailings longer than 7 days. - We are doing a Caribbean then flying to Canada for an Alaska. Will this be allowed?

Testing upon disembarking. If someone tests positive when they get off, are they stuck where they are? Will they be able to fly home?
If you test positive why would you want to get on a plane and risk infecting so many people?

If you test positive why would you want to get on a plane and risk infecting so many people?

There are plenty of people who would, sadly. I read a piece about a social media travel influencer who scrambled to fly home after partying in Mexico and discovering someone at the party had it. She tested positive after landing back in the States, and while she never developed symptoms, she also gave it to a friend she had dinner with after returning, and then that friend did get sick. Her response to the risk she knowingly posed to others? "Sorry, I'm selfish like that."

To answer the question posted, I think extra travel insurance that covers 2 weeks of quarantine lodging in the last port city will need to be a requirement before cruising can resume, pre-vaccine. DCL should make passengers buy the insurance through them to make sure every passenger has adequate coverage. There are currently countries that make this type of insurance mandatory before foreigners can be admitted into the country, and it keeps the host countries from being stuck with the bill if tourists get sick and have to quarantine.

You don't want to get on a plane but what hotel is going to want you? That's my big concern, if you get to Florida and test positive what do you do?

You don't want to get on a plane but what hotel is going to want you? That's my big concern, if you get to Florida and test positive what do you do?
Well, I get back in my car and drive home, which is one reason we're driving. That is the risk we have to take though with any travel until this virus is figured out and we can deal with it in a better way.

There are plenty of people who would, sadly. I read a piece about a social media travel influencer who scrambled to fly home after partying in Mexico and discovering someone at the party had it. She tested positive after landing back in the States, and while she never developed symptoms, she also gave it to a friend she had dinner with after returning, and then that friend did get sick. Her response to the risk she knowingly posed to others? "Sorry, I'm selfish like that."

To answer the question posted, I think extra travel insurance that covers 2 weeks of quarantine lodging in the last port city will need to be a requirement before cruising can resume, pre-vaccine. DCL should make passengers buy the insurance through them to make sure every passenger has adequate coverage. There are currently countries that make this type of insurance mandatory before foreigners can be admitted into the country, and it keeps the host countries from being stuck with the bill if tourists get sick and have to quarantine.
I absolutely thing there needs to be some kind of insurance for something like that, and I never plan to sail without any kind of insurance. I do know a lot of people who are being completely selfish with this, and it's why we can't get back to a more normal way of life.

Well, I get back in my car and drive home, which is one reason we're driving. That is the risk we have to take though with any travel until this virus is figured out and we can deal with it in a better way.
Agree that seems like really the only option if you test positive upon return, but what I want to know is what are they going to do if you test positive during the cruise. Being quarantined on the ship and then released to drive home at the end wouldn't be so bad, but if they make you disembark at the nearest foreign port, that'd be awful--no way to drive home from Nassau.

If they decide to continue with the repositioning cruises, they may have to wind up being a "point A to point B" cruise only. No port stops.
They could reposition the ship without passengers. They also may decide certain itineraries aren't happening in Europe, or if it's even worth it to go to Europe at all.

They could reposition the ship without passengers. They also may decide certain itineraries aren't happening in Europe, or if it's even worth it to go to Europe at all.
All possibilities—but I don’t expect DCL to tell us what they are doing with longer cruises until much closer in time. Too many variables—vaccine could come out, CDC could change 7 day limit (up or down), port countries could change rules forcing last-minute itinerary changes. Going to be “cruise roulette” for a while—I expect cruise length and itineraries will be up in the air for some time.

I want to say first off say I don’t condone anyone getting on a plane knowingly with Covid. Period!

Having said that, I can imagine the fear going through one’s head. Will one be stranded in a hospital in a state that one doesn’t live? Will I be alone during this struggle?(yes, even at home)

Can I make it home in a rental? Will I need to stay in a hotel? (Some places offer hotels in some states for an infectious person whom needs to distance themselves from at risk family members.)

When people are sick in the future from a ever changing virus, that will possibly kill others, we need in essence a nursing home style facility for the infectious. One that if you were traveling cross-country you could stop if needed. But for the primary use of handling local infectious community members. But able to help travelers as well

Agree that seems like really the only option if you test positive upon return, but what I want to know is what are they going to do if you test positive during the cruise. Being quarantined on the ship and then released to drive home at the end wouldn't be so bad, but if they make you disembark at the nearest foreign port, that'd be awful--no way to drive home from Nassau.

MSC's info for cruising that returned in Sept. >>> https://www.msccruisesusa.com/news/msc-reveals-health-safety-protocol

" ...MSC Cruises has introduced a new MSC COVID-19 Protection Plan to provide guests with additional peace of mind for the summer cruises. This will cover the guest if they become infected prior to their departure if they are not able to travel, during the cruise for medical expenses and after the cruise if the guest falls sick. The MSC COVID-19 Protection Plan is currently available only to guests from Schengen countries. In addition to this, guests should also choose their usual travel and health insurance coverage... "

Going to be “cruise roulette” for a while
That is such a great description. If you want to cruise in 2021, you are playing roulette. Will the cruise go? When will they let you know it isn't going? You could travel to the port and find out it's a no-go. So, can you get back home easily? If you fly, good luck changing flights now that they are cancelling so many. If it does sail, what happens if people get sick? Will they quarantine at sea? Does that affect your job, travel plans, etc? What will the cruise look like? Are there any activities you like? How will they handle things like shows? Will you have to line up 3 hours early to get a seat? "Cruise roulette" is an absolutely perfect description.

That is such a great description. If you want to cruise in 2021, you are playing roulette. Will the cruise go? When will they let you know it isn't going? You could travel to the port and find out it's a no-go. So, can you get back home easily? If you fly, good luck changing flights now that they are cancelling so many. If it does sail, what happens if people get sick? Will they quarantine at sea? Does that affect your job, travel plans, etc? What will the cruise look like? Are there any activities you like? How will they handle things like shows? Will you have to line up 3 hours early to get a seat? "Cruise roulette" is an absolutely perfect description.

Pretty accurate, and we have two booked. The only one we have booked for 2021 goes from our own local port, so that helps A LOT! No flights to cancel or change. No hotel needed the night before. If it doesn't happen, we just stay home.

My airline once had a special during the summer. You paid for a ticket to an unknown location. The day before you got the weather report, I think, and only when you arrived at the airport you knew where you were going. Definitely not my thing, but there are plenty of people who will like the surprise.

If they would apply something similar at DCL, I think they will let you know in advance what the options on board are in terms of dining and entertainment. Only the destinations where you are going will remain a mystery.

I think everyone who wants to cruise will have to be prepared to quarantine after. Quarantining at sea will probably not happen again, as we know now so much more about the disease and about testing etc.

It's likely most of these posts are moot, or will be TODAY, NCL, RCCL, Carnival and MSC have ALL cancelled or removed all sailings from their websites through the end of this year, Disney is the only cruise line that hasn't suspended 2020 itineraries YET, but with the Framework limitations, time it will take to get the ships returned from Europe, re-crewed, provisioned and ready to sail, then apply for the Conditional certificates to conduct test cruises on each ship, we're probably looking that to get any passengers on board it will be well into 2021 now. AND with the 7 night or shorter itinerary limitation, that will likely involve cancellations of a number of DCL itineraries, especially the WBPC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter