BLT versus Grand Floridian

Bobby2443

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone

I'm in the market for a new contract, we currently own at beach club but would like a contract around MK. For our family we would like a kitchen in the room which means no Poly for us, leaving BLT and Grand Floridian. For us whether we're paying $140 a point or $170 a point it doesn't really matter, we would rather pick the right home resort for the long term. Taking the cost of the contract out of the equation which resort would you choose?

Appreciate everyones opinions
Thanks

I am a huge fan of VGF and now with the walkway I prefer it to BLT.

I like how easily it is to walk over to Poly which gives me two counter service, shopping and dining places to choose from. I also love being so close to the spa..when open.

I prefer the pools at VGF too and for little ones, the splash area is really fun.

It is more points for VGF but when I can use my SSR points there, it’s go to over BLT now.

Have you stayed at either? We just added on a direct contract at VGF because it's been our favorite resort for years. We love the way we feel every time we walk through the doors.

But I don't think you can go wrong at BLT either! Having Top of the World Lounge (if and when it opens again) right there is a great benefit!

Hi everyone

I'm in the market for a new contract, we currently own at beach club but would like a contract around MK. For our family we would like a kitchen in the room which means no Poly for us, leaving BLT and Grand Floridian. For us whether we're paying $140 a point or $170 a point it doesn't really matter, we would rather pick the right home resort for the long term. Taking the cost of the contract out of the equation which resort would you choose?

Thanks
Bay Lake

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but my heart will always belong to Bay Lake. A big part of that was the ability to walk to MK. You can do that now with VGF so it's not as much of an issue. The other considerations are that BLT is less points for the same room and that extra full bathroom in the 1- and 2- bedrooms.

I am a huge fan of VGF and now with the walkway I prefer it to BLT.

Does anyone know the walking distance to MK from the GF compared to BLT?

We have been looking at these two for awhile as wel (been resisting the urge to addon. However, since we got married at GF my wife would only let me buy GF at this point. While the points dont go as far, we do prefer the atmosphere and amenities at GF over BLT. Both great MK properties though.

GF hands down.

1. You can walk to MK now which eliminates the BLT walking advantage

2. More options for everything: food, lounges, bars, shops, etc within easy walking distance. GF as a conference hotel has a ton of options plus Poly is right next door. If you do BLT you really only have the contemporary as easy access.

3. If you do want to take the monorail (say it’s raining), MK is the next stop. If you take the monorail from BLT you have to ride the full loop to get to MK.

4. It is the smallest DVC resort. Which means getting in at the 7 month mark is very difficult to do. Having the 11 month advantage here makes a big difference. Conversely BLT isn’t as hard to get into at 7 months.

5. The 1 bedroom is nicer, has better views, larger, etc.

There’s a reason GF costs more. It’s because it’s the better option.

Hi everyone

Thanks
My personal preference is VGF. I love the grounds, the dining choices and ease of access to MK. I also enjoy being able to walk to the Poly for a meal or drinks. The villas are larger and I like the decorating style. Plus, it’s Disney’s flagship resort.

BLT comes across as sterile to me. The grounds and exterior lack character and remind me of any number of office buildings in any big city. The studios are tiny and the only resort you can walk to is CR. There is no bus stop at the BLT tower, so you have to take a walk to CR to get a bus to DS, HS and AK. The monorail does not run thru the resort (it runs thru CR) and there is no boat dock. What it has going for it is that it is closer to MK if you walk. And the 1BR villas have 2 full bathrooms as opposed to VGF’s single split bath.

Does anyone know the walking distance to MK from the GF compared to BLT?

We have been looking at these two for awhile as wel (been resisting the urge to addon. However, since we got married at GF my wife would only let me buy GF at this point. While the points dont go as far, we do prefer the atmosphere and amenities at GF over BLT. Both great MK properties though.

VGF all the way!!!!

BLT to MK - 0.5 mi
VGF to MK - 0.7 mi

Have you stayed at either? We just added on a direct contract at VGF because it's been our favorite resort for years. We love the way we feel every time we walk through the doors.

But I don't think you can go wrong at BLT either! Having Top of the World Lounge (if and when it opens again) right there is a great benefit!
Good question, we are actually going to be buying somewhat blind. I’ve walked around both of them and watched lots of videos online but haven’t stayed at either. Before we bought at beach club we rented points and stayed there but in hindsight I feel like I wasted money on the rental instead of putting that money towards a purchase. I feel like we are big enough Disney fans where we would be happy with either one (and may buy a contract at the one we don’t pick in the future).

I’m more or less curious to see if there are any red flags at either that would sway me one way or the other. Thanks to everyone for responding

There is no bus stop at the BLT tower, so you have to take a walk to CR to get a bus to DS, HS and AK. The monorail does not run thru the resort (it runs thru CR) and there is no boat dock

Just curious, does VGF have a dedicated Bus Stop and Boat Dock? I thought they used the same as the hotel (similar to BLT and Contemporary). Also, technically, with the new walking path you could walk from BLT/CR to VGF and Poly, but, oh boy, that would be a heck of a walk!! LOL!

VGF is absolutely lovely and would be a wonderful choice. That extra bathroom at BLT is just a huge draw for us.

Personal preference I think.

I like Bay Lake. I like the subdued/lack of theming, location, point chart, pretty much everything about it.

I'm not a fancy guy, so I never feel comfortable at the GF. Too fancy for me. I totally respect and appreciate the resort, it's just not for me.

Once you take cost , including point requirements and higher dues out of the equation, I think VGF would be my choice. Beyond what has been mentioned, the ability to walk to Poly for dining as well as TTC is a plus. I also like the high end gas grills at VGF.

While VGF is small GF is quite extensive

I would also suggest 15% more points than BLT would take

I just bought VGF because I think it has more upside to resale over time, as the smallest WDW resort.

But the chart is no joke compared to BLT. The same booking will be MUCH cheaper at BLT.

It's also easier to buy BLT on resale and to get a good buy. The VGF contracts have been scarce and expensive lately.

We own at VGF and usually only stay in studios because the one bedroom is just so expensive a leap in points. We are a family of 5 and are buying at BLT now too, love the second bathroom in the one bedroom. I say you can’t go wrong at either place, both have very similar amenities and access to the MK.

One person further up the thread listed the con that contemporary is the first stop on the monorail line as a negative but I feel that it’s one of the biggest advantages, because when getting on in the morning to go MK you have empty monorail cars to choose from, and at the end of the day when you are happy to get off your feet and get back to the room you are first off the monorail. With VGF being the last stop before MK there have been many times where the cars are very full and you have to cram in there to get on, which isn’t possible anymore in the current Covid situation. At the end of the day you are the last stop to get off at VGF.
If you plan to stay at VGF at very popular times you might have a hard time getting what you want since it’s so small, be prepared for booking at exactly 11mos out.

If price didn't matter, I would probably pick VGF. While I really like both, because VGF is such a small resort, owning there will give you a better chance of getting the room you want. Now the fireworks view from BLT can't be beat.

I own at BLT and wish I had of bought at VGF when it first went on sale.

We are buying at VGF, but honestly that was more a circumstance of right contract/right time. Before deciding to go resale, we were very close to buying BLT direct just because we LOVE the contemporary. Personally I think the lack of theming is a nice break, and the condensed set-up on the contemporary and BLT make it easy to relax for the maximum amount of time in the room before heading down for breakfast or dinner. I haven't tried the new walkway (we are staying at GF in April after being booted from the Contemporary due to the refurbishment), but I really liked the walkway from the Contemporary to MK - very easy to run back to the room if you forget something (or end up with all your extra masks soaking wet after it pours on you in MK)

Like I said, we just happened to find the right contract for VGF (plus I was worried with all the BLT ones that hadn't been passing ROFR since we are hoping to use our points for a trip this year). We also don't like staying at Disney more than 3 nights, so the higher points cost doesn't bother us as much.

BLT and VGF owner here....
If price/cost is truly not an issue, I would buy VGF. If you wanted to stay at BLT, you would in most instances be able to use your VGF points (or rent points) the get a BLT LV at 7 months, but it would be harder to use BLT or other points to book VGF at 7 months. We have a lot of reasons to love both resorts, but VGF is much harder to get at 7 months than BLT, and even VGF owners are having a hard time for December 2021 at 11 months. There's a lot of pent-up demand and points right now.

I've only stayed in a studio at VGF and I wasn't impressed with the theming. I'm sure the one bedrooms are better, but they're also much more expensive than the options available at BLT. I really think it's going to come down to where you prefer to stay. I personally prefer BLT, which is why I own there.

The new walkway certainly makes VGF more attractive, and a lake view at BLT will likely be available at 7 months if you want to stay there. Annual dues are very similar.

Buy VGF if you want to stay at VGF most of the time.
Buy BLT is you want to stay at BLT in the less expensive standard view category.
Buy something else cheaper (like SSR) if you're willing to take the risk and book one bedroom lake-view's at BLT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter