Biscuit's Grand Adventure | An epic tale three decades in the making!

Salutes to Grandpa Walter!

Veterans all over the world. My dad was a POW in a russian camp for 3 years and almost died there. They fed him cabbage water for years. He almost died on the way home on the train. (miraculously, he recovered to conceive me later, LOL).

My uncle was shot in russia in the neck and died. Eeery thing is, there was a big 10 x 20 or something picture in my grandparents house, and a bomb attack singed his picture right in the neck where he got shot. didn't burn it,just singed it right where he got shot. 2 uncles had legs amputated in the war.
I have a couple of great pics of my dad in WW II in uniform and my grandfather from WW I with a spike helmet and sworWhen my browas little, like 3 and 4 and 5, he used to cry, please dont dont let any more bombers come. My parents house got bombed out.
Nobody wants fight in wars. Not my father, not my grandfather, and not my son who is in the airforece now. Let's hope all will work out.

Now back to your regularly scheduled GB report. Cant wait! It's a great big beatifulful tomorrow!

What's for dinner? R the world I mean.

Just read the "firsts" post - it will be so fun to be back and see familar things, yet have so much be brand new! And not sure if someone already told you, but yep, they do have the chalet still standing where the skyway was. The World's Largest Fantasyland Stroller Parking is directly below it. The "dock" in Tomorrowland was still there and I believe now Stitch's new dance show is in that area? I think...:confused:

Love your post about your Grandpa. :thumbsup2 And BIG scores on the deals at Kohls!! I just had American Tourister luggage from Kohls-it was a great set, served me well. Well enough to sell it at a garage sale just a few weekends ago - despite MANY trips between NYC and MN. We just had way to much luggage, so some had to go. Good buy!

AW GB beautiful memorial of Grandpa!:hug:
Only Two more sleeps til i'm home in WDW.:cool1:
See ya on the flipside. ;)

Such a touching, and well-written in memorium! Thanks for the reminder that the country I get to return to permanently someday (because of men like Walter who fought for my privelege to carry a passport saying I can come and go with freedom!), was forged by brave men who sacrificed more than most of will ever know, and take too much for granted!

Both my grandfathers also fought in the War, one was on a ship that was torpedoed, the other won't talk much about his experiences. Also had a great uncle who was with the first wave at Normandy. Again, won't talk AT ALL about that- too much trauma to be relived, I suppose. I think every young man 17 and up should be required to watch Saving Private Ryan.

Great installment!

Liesa

I loved your salute to your Grandpa. My uncle was in the Navy during WWII on a battle ship in the Pacific and, luckily, made it through the war with no injuries. He told me he was on the USS Lyric, but I'm not sure if I'm spelling that correctly because I haven't been able to find a record of it.

Yay for wide shoes--dh has wide feet, too. You know what's shaped like wide feet, don'tcha??? CROCS!

Looking forward to hearing about the food plans!

I too loved your post about your grandpa. Mine was also in WWII, he was in the big bombers and ended up loosing most of his hearing because of it. I couldn't be more proud of him and he was proud of our country. He's been gone for many years now, but I am like you and can't wait to see him again.

Kohl's rocks! Always a sale going on. Getting down to the 3 week mark for your trip! I'm so excited for you! :cheer2:

Love the tribute. My great uncle was also at Pearl Harbor, but won't talk about it.

Salutes to Grandpa Walter!

Veterans all over the world. My dad was a POW in a russian camp for 3 years and almost died there. They fed him cabbage water for years. He almost died on the way home on the train. (miraculously, he recovered to conceive me later, LOL).

My uncle was shot in russia in the neck and died. Eeery thing is, there was a big 10 x 20 or something picture in my grandparents house, and a bomb attack singed his picture right in the neck where he got shot. didn't burn it,just singed it right where he got shot. 2 uncles had legs amputated in the war.
I have a couple of great pics of my dad in WW II in uniform and my grandfather from WW I with a spike helmet and sworWhen my browas little, like 3 and 4 and 5, he used to cry, please dont dont let any more bombers come. My parents house got bombed out.
Nobody wants fight in wars. Not my father, not my grandfather, and not my son who is in the airforece now. Let's hope all will work out.

Now back to your regularly scheduled GB report. Cant wait! It's a great big beatifulful tomorrow!

What's for dinner? R the world I mean.
The stories of POW's are always the most heart rending. Thanks for sharing! The picture story was both cool and a little eerie. Which I like. A salute back to you for the heroes of BSG clan.

Just read the "firsts" post - it will be so fun to be back and see familar things, yet have so much be brand new! And not sure if someone already told you, but yep, they do have the chalet still standing where the skyway was. The World's Largest Fantasyland Stroller Parking is directly below it. The "dock" in Tomorrowland was still there and I believe now Stitch's new dance show is in that area? I think...:confused:
I am so eager for all the newbies that I am virtually counting down hour by hour.

Love your post about your Grandpa. :thumbsup2 And BIG scores on the deals at Kohls!! I just had American Tourister luggage from Kohls-it was a great set, served me well. Well enough to sell it at a garage sale just a few weekends ago - despite MANY trips between NYC and MN. We just had way to much luggage, so some had to go. Good buy!
What’s funny is that I had never been in a Kohls before I met my Minnesota gal. I’d never even heard of the place. She introduced me to it in college and BOY was I happy when they started building them down here.

AW GB beautiful memorial of Grandpa!:hug:
Only Two more sleeps til i'm home in WDW.:cool1:
See ya on the flipside. ;)
Thanks! Have a GREAT time! Can’t wait to hear all about your trip!

Such a touching, and well-written in memorium! Thanks for the reminder that the country I get to return to permanently someday (because of men like Walter who fought for my privelege to carry a passport saying I can come and go with freedom!), was forged by brave men who sacrificed more than most of will ever know, and take too much for granted!
Thanks and here-here.

Both my grandfathers also fought in the War, one was on a ship that was torpedoed, the other won't talk much about his experiences. Also had a great uncle who was with the first wave at Normandy. Again, won't talk AT ALL about that- too much trauma to be relived, I suppose. I think every young man 17 and up should be required to watch Saving Private Ryan.

Great installment!

Liesa
I don’t remember my grandfather talking much about it until later in life. Much of the story I learned from grandmother after he passed and from his photo albums and memorabilia.

I loved your salute to your Grandpa. My uncle was in the Navy during WWII on a battle ship in the Pacific and, luckily, made it through the war with no injuries. He told me he was on the USS Lyric, but I'm not sure if I'm spelling that correctly because I haven't been able to find a record of it.
Thanks! A big salute to your uncle as well!

Yay for wide shoes--dh has wide feet, too. You know what's shaped like wide feet, don'tcha??? CROCS!

Looking forward to hearing about the food plans!
Haven’t ever tried crocs. Just can’t bring myself to do it.

I too loved your post about your grandpa. Mine was also in WWII, he was in the big bombers and ended up loosing most of his hearing because of it. I couldn't be more proud of him and he was proud of our country. He's been gone for many years now, but I am like you and can't wait to see him again.
Another salute out to your grandpa!

Kohl's rocks! Always a sale going on. Getting down to the 3 week mark for your trip! I'm so excited for you! :cheer2:
3 weeks and a couple of days. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOPIDY !WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Three cheers for an American Hero. Your grandfather sounds like an amazing man. What a great guy to have as an ancestor for your children.

The Donald references had me :rotfl: Loved it! Is that how I will recognize you in Disney, The Donald with pants on? ;)

Three cheers for an American Hero. Your grandfather sounds like an amazing man. What a great guy to have as an ancestor for your children.
He was definitely a hero!

The Donald references had me :rotfl: Loved it! Is that how I will recognize you in Disney, The Donald with pants on? ;)
You got it! I'll also be the only one taking a photo of the restrooms at the canadian outpost.

Awesome story about your grandpa. I bet seeing the Pearl Harbor movie really hits home with you.

My dad has super wide feet and always has luck with New Balance shoes.

Hi Greatbiscuit. I'm new posting to the Disboards and I just wanted to say I really enjoyed your super-lengthy-many-years-in-the-making trip and pre-trip report. Can't wait to read what you thought after your trip! My DH and I just got back yesterday from 4 rainy days in the parks, and I remembered thinking to myself how I read your trip report from your honeymoon and how it rained a lot then too. Ponchos do come in handy! I'm in the process of writing a trip report myself over the next few days. But thanks again for the lovely memories!

Hi Greatbiscuit. I'm new posting to the Disboards and I just wanted to say I really enjoyed your super-lengthy-many-years-in-the-making trip and pre-trip report. Can't wait to read what you thought after your trip! My DH and I just got back yesterday from 4 rainy days in the parks, and I remembered thinking to myself how I read your trip report from your honeymoon and how it rained a lot then too. Ponchos do come in handy! I'm in the process of writing a trip report myself over the next few days. But thanks again for the lovely memories!
Howdy and :welcome: (both to my TR and the DIS) Glad to have you here! I appreciate you reading along and I can't wait to hear about your trip! (Sorry to hear it was a bit soggy.)

Salute to your grandfather. Awesome story you will have to retell that to your girls school when they study WWII. Military family here 3 grandfathers, father, brother & nephew in law all in either the service now or the past.

Love Kohl's its a weakness of mine. For some reason my car drives its self there on my day off. Lucky I only get a day off every couple weeks. LOL. Also gotta shout out Crocs wore them in Jan feet felt great. Hubby wont wear them but the kids & I did we had no blisters or tired feet. DH had both by day 2.

Salute to your grandfather. Awesome story you will have to retell that to your girls school when they study WWII. Military family here 3 grandfathers, father, brother & nephew in law all in either the service now or the past.
Salutes back at'cha to the Coffehousemom Clan!

Love Kohl's its a weakness of mine. For some reason my car drives its self there on my day off. Lucky I only get a day off every couple weeks. LOL. Also gotta shout out Crocs wore them in Jan feet felt great. Hubby wont wear them but the kids & I did we had no blisters or tired feet. DH had both by day 2.
I just haven't found any that were "manly" looking.

subscribing
:welcome: Glad to have you aboard!

Episode 40 - Dining Dilemmas

Eating should not be this difficult. Only at The World will you plan out your meals weeks, months, or dare I say it, years in advance. I've added and removed dining options to my touring plan since the very beginning. They have changed more times than I can count and some of the original options no longer exist.

Back in the day, when I first began to haunt the hallowed halls of DIS-dom, the hottest table in town was L' Originale Alfredo di Roma Ristorante. Over time, lack of service and a decline in food quality resulted in a fall from grace. Another early favorite was 1900 Park Fare. There was a time when I read nothing but rave reviews of this particular establishment. Yet of late, the reviews seem to have gone from mixed to more of a consistent ho-hum.

As the booking window for our Dining reservations approached I became more and more anxious. (Editorial Digression: Apparently Disney no longer calls them ADR's and it confuses new cast members profusely when you call up Disney Dining and use said term.) If I'm going to book dining, I need to have a plan. If I'm going to have a plan, I need to have my schedule mapped out. If I have my schedule mapped out, it's going to make it more difficult to "go with the flow", if it's more difficult "go with the flow" it will make it more stressful while we are there. It's enough to give you migraines for a week.

I started with my top three. I knew FOR SURE that I wanted Chef Mickey's, 'Ohana, and Le Cellier. Yes, I know Le Cellier reviews are up and down. Yet at the heart of them, most of the negatives are not that the place is bad, just that it is not quite as good as it once was. With this being my first visit, I have no base reference to make a comparison. So, I elected to keep it on the list. Plus, I LOVE beer cheese soup. (Which is funny because I am not a beer drinker.) I tried it for the first time at a restaurant in Minneapolis and have LOVED it ever since.

I knew from reading other TR's that I wanted to book Chef Mickey's for our first night. So many have commented on how they make this a tradition, and something about it just seemed like a great way to start a Walt Disney World vacation. This left 6 more ADR's to schedule. Once I knew my parents were coming, I decided that 'Ohana would be a great spot for a meal with the extended family. At the time, they were coming the last four days of our trip, so I scheduled it near the end of our trip.

I needed some more input so I put together a power point of several possibilities in the parks we would be visiting with my parents and emailed it to my mom. (Complete with food photos from the DIS and PassPorter and menus from AllEars.net) The four places my mom most wanted to go were:

Chef Mickey's
'Ohana
Momma Melrose
Le Cellier

This was all fine and dandy, except for one minor detail. I wouldn't be able to do Chef Mickey's on our first night unless we did it twice. (Which I ALMOST did, before deciding to try other things.)

After much deliberation, I decided that our remaining dining options would be the Princess Storybook Breakfast at Akershus, Crystal Palace, and Garden Grill.

This of course did not last. I was never really set on Garden Grill and after much hemming and hawing, changed it to Yak and Yeti. This too did not last. I then settled on a priority seating reservation (remember those?) at Big River Grille. This lasted even less time than Yak and Yeti. At one point I pondered giving 1900 PF a try and then tossed around the idea of Chef Mickey's redo, but finally I settled on Whispering Canyon.

I've always been fascinated by the photos of the Wilderness Lodge and really want to go check it out. Plus the menu is the type of food we all like and I think the girls would get a kick out of the boat ride to the Magic Kingdom.

Of course once I had it all mapped out, I found out my parents would be coming the first four days as opposed to the last four days. Thankfully this was BEFORE the dining window had opened so I did not have any ressies. After a little cut and paste action ensued, I had everything re-sorted and Chef Mickey's was once again on our opening night.

WOO HOO!

The day finally arrived when my dining window opened and I hit the phones at 7 AM. It happened to be a Saturday and I had to explain to First Lady Biscuit why I HAD to be up at 6:40 so as to have my computer booted and dialing finger warmed up.

As it turned out, I got ALL my reservations! SCORE! Doing the GB Happy Man dance!

Here's how our ADR's, I mean Dining Reservations shaped up.

Day 1: Friday June 19 - Chef Mickey's - Dinner
Day 2: Saturday June 10 - Mamma Melrose - Dinner
Day 3: Sunday June 11 - 'Ohana - Dinner
Day 4: Monday June 12 'Le Cellier - Lunch
Day 5: Tuesday June 23 - Whispering Canyon Dinner
Day 6: Wednesday June 24 - Restaurant Akershus - Breakfast
Day 7: Thursday June 25 - Open
Day 8: Friday June 26 - Crystal Palace - Lunch

And then there are the counter service options. Fortunately, these do not yet require reservations. (Perish the thought!) I have NOT mapped out every single CS spot I want to hit up, but there are a few that I put in the plan as suggestions. They are:

Sunshine Season Food Festival
Flame Tree BBQ
Pizzafari
Cosmic Ray's Starlight Café
Toy Story Pizza Planet

Just when you think all is said and done, you have the snack credits to deal with. The only planned snack I have is the Cheese Stuffed Pretzel at DHS. I also have a dole whip commitment with pineapple float intentions, but am not sure if that is a Dining Plan option or if it will be out of pocket. Either way, it WILL be mine!

And last, but certainly not least, we have the refillable mugs which I am sure we will purchase only moments after checking in.

Who knew figuring out what to eat would be the hardest part of planning this little soiree? Well, I guess that about does it for dining. You can get a pretty good idea about our touring plans from looking over the list, but to see "The Plan 3.0", you'll have to tune in next time.

Coming on Episode 41 - I just told you, it's "The Plan 3.0"

Last edited:
I think you made a good decision to go to Whispering Canyon. We went there for our date night. Eric LOVED it! It was on trip day 10 so in a few days you'll be able to read about it on my TR. ;)

I'll be looking forward to your Ohana review when you get back. We're planning on that for our anniversary dinner. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter