Biscuit's Grand Adventure | An epic tale three decades in the making!

Sorry I'm late! Got here as soon I could and I can't wait to catch up! I haven't read much of you yet, but just in your comments to other people's TR, I'm thinkiiiiing I'm in for a real gut bustin time. ::yes::

Sorry I'm late! Got here as soon I could and I can't wait to catch up! I haven't read much of you yet, but just in your comments to other people's TR, I'm thinkiiiiing I'm in for a real gut bustin time. ::yes::
Howdy and :welcome: Glad to have you aboard! I don't know if we'll bust your gut, but hopefully we can make it quiver a bit!

Thanks MTK!

I can’t think of too many things that quite compare! I’ve referred to our dog as many things, but I don’t think fabulous has ever been one of them. (She was an only child for a while and is UBER spoiled.)

I was being facetious, if that's allowed. I generally don't like dogs (I know, I know, let the flames begin!), but yours did sound over the top "uber spoiled". HA! But, having a family really is all about compromising, isn't it?

I was being facetious, if that's allowed. I generally don't like dogs (I know, I know, let the flames begin!), but yours did sound over the top "uber spoiled". HA! But, having a family really is all about compromising, isn't it?
It is most certainly allowed! As is sarcasm, irony, allegory, and jesting. (But no jousting unless you clear it vith mods and warn me ahead of time so I can bring my inhaler.). To me, the intra-post bantering is as much fun or more than the actual TR. Our dog is an odd critter. Sometimes I swear she is a cat in a dog's body. She listens when she feels like it and seems to think she owns the place. But you gotta love the little heifer. At least that is what the first lady keeps telling me.

(I’m Big Boy by the way….which has earned more than one odd look at the grocery store, let me tell you.)

:rotfl2: Oh my! :rotfl2:

Pleased to meet the Biscuit clan, sounds like a really fun trip with all the family!! :thumbsup2 I'm going to be taking tips too for my upcoming family trip.

Episode 39 - Everything Old is New

Time is a strange thing. On the one hand, we seem to never have enough of it, yet on the other, we seem eager for it to move a bit faster. While each of use loves the timelessness of Walt Disney World, it is a place which remains in constant motion. With each passing year things change. Perhaps it is not that noticeable when trips are spaced close together. Aside from the occasional new attraction, there is isn’t much difference between visits.

Contrast that with spending 12 years between visits and the effects are far more profound. Although I have been to the parks six times, in a way, I feel like this will be my first trip. Let’s take a look at what is new since the last time I visited.

The journey must begin somewhere, so for the purposes of this exercise, we’ll begin in the Magic Kingdom. Emerging onto Main Street will be a familiar, yet new experience. Many of the shops have changed or relocated. And the last time I saw the castle without a hideous pink cake shell on it was in 1991. Some of the things on Main Street I have never done, include riding the vehicles, seeing the horse barn, checking out the barbershop, eating at Casey’s, stopping in Town Hall, and exploring the alleys.

At the end of Main Street, if one turns to the right, you will find yourself walking past the Tomorrowland Noodle Station. This particular eatery served up some sort of pizza/salad combo the last time we were there. Moving into Tomorrowland proper, you come across the home of my first ever Magic Kingdom attraction. Yet, gone are the projector screens and cattle chute rails of Circle Vision, instead we have a new (to me) attraction Monster’s Inc Laugh Floor. Moving on, my old friend Delta Dream Flight has been replaced by Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin. (Which I am TOTALLY looking forward to trying out.) Across the way, Mission to Mars has changed twice since my last visit and is now home to Stitch’s Great Escape. My old friends the Carousel of Progress, Rocketships and Speedway are still there. Yet my favorite two attractions, Space Mountain and Tomorrowland Transit Authority are down for rehab. Then there is Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café which I hear has excellent chicken, but I have never been in there.

Continuing around the park, we have Mickey’s Toontown which I have never visited. Mickey’s House, Minnie’s House, Donald’s Boat, Goofy’s Barnstormer and the Judges Tent are all new to me. Passing by the cursed teacups, we have The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh to the left and Pooh’s Playful Spot to the right. These are also new to me.

In the heart of Fantasyland lies Snow White’s Scary Adventures which I have not been on since the rehab, and two icons, Dumbo’s Flying Elephants and Cinderella’s Golden Carousel. These I have also never ridden, despite them being there on my six previous journeys. Ariel has gone and built herself a grotto and Pinocchio had the poor judgment to tamper with my glorious Figaro Fries.

Mickey’s Philharmagic has replaced the Lion King show from our last trip and Peter Pan Pan’s Flight and It’s a Small World are still sending their familiar ships through timeless and beloved journeys. Does the ski-chalet still stand at the top of the hill where once the Sky-way docked? I don’t know.

The Hall of Presidents is closed for rehab to add our 44th President, yet the Haunted Mansion is still as dusty as it was 12 years ago. The Liberty Square Riverboat and Tom Sawyer island remain attractions I have never been on. The Big Thunder Mountain is still an anticipated favorite, while Splash Mountain is an attraction I have only seen from the outside. I’ve never jammed with the County Bears, but hope to catch a show soon. I’ve always wanted to stop a take a few shots at the Frontierland Shooting arcade, but never seem to have the time or quarters necessary.

Many have complained about the new management at the Tiki Birds, but having never experienced the old management, I guess I won’t be qualified to compare. The Pirates of Caribbean have some new buccaneers, and Aladdin has flown his carpets into the neighborhood. Lucky for me, the Jungles are still open for cruising and the Tree House is still there for climbing.

Finally, there is Wishes, which I have yet to experience in a format other than YouTube. (Somehow I think the real thing will be better.) Add it all up and you get a couple of dozen attractions and places of interest in the Magic Kingdom alone which are completely new to me.

Leaving the Magic Kingdom, let us hop the southern monorail. If I were to hop the resort monorail, it would be a first. I’ve never ridden it or even been inside a Disney Resort, save for barreling through the Contemporary on the Express Monorail. Arriving at Epcot, let us survey our options. The only thing currently in Future World that I have been on is Living with the Land. The only thing currently in World Showcase I have been on is Maelstrom. Every other attraction in Future World has been replaced or rehabbed. As to World Showcase, Norway is the only pavilion I have ever visited.

If we were to hop over the Disney Hollywood Studios, you would discover that in this park, I have yet to partake of Rockin Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Lights Action Motor Cars, Muppet Vision 3D, One Man’s Dream, Journey Into Narnia, Playhouse Disney Live, and of course American Idol Experience and Toy Story Mania. The only restaurant I’ve ever eaten at here is the Backlot Express. Saddest of all, I’ve never seen Fantasmic.

As to Animal Kingdom, they were still building the thing in 1997.

Other new experiences for this trip will be: first time staying on property, first time shuttling from MCO to the parks, first time on a Disney Bus (didn’t say all of them were great), first time on Disney Dining, first time to EVER use FastPass, first time to use PhotoPass, and first time to write a tip report…..sort of.

Well I guess that about covers it. I’m sure there will be many other exciting firsts which present themselves along the way. But for now, I am happy to know that even though at 6 completed trips, I may technically be “Disney Veteran”, I’m still going to essentially experience the parks for the first time.

Coming up on Episode 40 - Pearl Harbor and Donald Duck.

Last edited:

When's the last time you were on Carousel of progress? I'm pretty sure they adjusted some of the scenes at some point and changed the song.

Also my 2 year old thought it was VERY thrilling to ride a bus. She talked about it all week long and we finally gave in and took her.

I never experienced the original Tiki birds eithere. My parents thought they were annoying then too.

We took a ride on the Liberty Belle Riverboat last week and it was very nice. I recommend it. We went on our date night and it helped us to slow down and just take things in. :)

When's the last time you were on Carousel of progress? I'm pretty sure they adjusted some of the scenes at some point and changed the song.

Also my 2 year old thought it was VERY thrilling to ride a bus. She talked about it all week long and we finally gave in and took her.

I never experienced the original Tiki birds eithere. My parents thought they were annoying then too.

We took a ride on the Liberty Belle Riverboat last week and it was very nice. I recommend it. We went on our date night and it helped us to slow down and just take things in. :)

GB, I am so excited for you! I hope you have a fabulous trip! (and not the constant downpours we have had all week, ughh!)

Then there is Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café which I hear has excellent chicken, but I have never been in there.

DH & I Love the mushrooms on the condiment bar. You should try them if you like mushrooms!

Pinocchio had the poor judgment to tamper with my glorious Figaro Fries.

I know right! They are just bad now. :sad2:

Does the ski-chalet still stand at the top of the hill where once the Sky-way docked? I don’t know.

No can't say that I've seen this.

I’ve always wanted to stop a take a few shots at the Frontierland Shooting arcade, but never seem to have the time or quarters necessary.

This is a everytime we go to Disney request of the boys, although we have yet to actually do it. We are always on our way somewhere etc. Also, honestly, I just can't see paying for something to do in a park I have already paid to get into. You know?

Finally, there is Wishes, which I have yet to experience in a format other than YouTube. (Somehow I think the real thing will be better.)

This is my favorite part. Also watch for what they call the Kiss goodnight. It's different patterns and colors that are shown up on the castle. Ask a cast member what time it is scheduled for. It's different than the regular rotation of colors/patterns. It goes off a couple of times before park closing and then again about 2-3 am. We were lucky enough to see this when we stayed at the Contemporary on our honeymoon. No big deal if you miss it, but it was kinda cool.

I can't wait to hear your perspective on everything so many years later.

WOW!!! :eek: I am so excited now - watching (okay, belatedly reading about - whatever) guests experience new things is always so much fun. This is going to be a terrific trip! :goodvibes

The last time we were there, they changed it from the new song back to the old song. (Which I lovingly refer to as the Old New and New Old songs repsectively.) My youngest is also looking forward to the whloe bus thing. As to Tikis and Riverboats, I hope to take in both.

GB, I am so excited for you! I hope you have a fabulous trip! (and not the constant downpours we have had all week, ughh!)
Thanks BSG! I was eyeing the weather and feeling bad for those poor folks on their honeymoon. Hopefully we'll fare better! As to your reason for editing, I concur!

DH & I Love the mushrooms on the condiment bar. You should try them if you like mushrooms!
LOVE me some 'shrooms!

This is a everytime we go to Disney request of the boys, although we have yet to actually do it. We are always on our way somewhere etc. Also, honestly, I just can't see paying for something to do in a park I have already paid to get into. You know?
Yep, but I figure I'll budget a couple of bucks and call it my Gift to Self for the day. I love shooting the real McCoy so I'm anxios to give these a shot. Hey that's punny.

This is my favorite part. Also watch for what they call the Kiss goodnight. It's different patterns and colors that are shown up on the castle. Ask a cast member what time it is scheduled for. It's different than the regular rotation of colors/patterns. It goes off a couple of times before park closing and then again about 2-3 am. We were lucky enough to see this when we stayed at the Contemporary on our honeymoon. No big deal if you miss it, but it was kinda cool.
I've heard this mentioned before. We'll definitely look for it.

WOW!!! :eek: I am so excited now - watching (okay, belatedly reading about - whatever) guests experience new things is always so much fun. This is going to be a terrific trip! :goodvibes
Thanks! I can't wait until we're flying East!

You sound like you've stayed up late nights dreaming about all this. don't worry, I do to! :)

All I can say is that you have soooo much to look forward to, and I'm really, really excited for you!

Keep it comin'!

GB sounds like you have lots of 'firsts' to experience with your family. It is going to be great!!!

GB~

You've got nothing to worry about, your wise to the ways of the World now, you've done all the planning, you've dotted every T and crossed every eye, I, I meant I. (he he)
You'll have a blast I just know it! How could you not!?! Your going to WDW and your staying at the Pop! I had so much fun, planning my last trip, it was the part of getting everyone to stick with the plan that gave me the most heartache. :laughing: ;) I thought things over and over and changed Dinning plans a thousand times, but the one thing I didn't change my mind about was staying at the Pop! My kids thought this was going to be a great place, and as it turned out, it was!
My daughter thought the Hippy Dippy pool was sure to be pleasing and she was right, the Pop gives a lot for the young eye to look at and take in, you'll have a blast watching your little one's take it in.
Since your touring AK this time around, y'all can not miss.....the Festival of The Lion King show! It's a total must! You'll absolutely love it and the kids will have a blast, it's a total feast for the eyes! Another something I might add, don't stand behind the camera the whole time taking videos and pictures like I did, I think I missed everything because I was just sure I would never be back there again and so I recorded almost everything.
The next summer when God blessed me with a free stay in kuh-SIM-ee and a free park ticket+hopper, I made sure I took hardly any pics, I just enjoyed doing the parks and allowed myself to take it in, I had a much better time. :yay:
:woohoo: I'm so blessed by your getting to go! I pray that you and your family will be met with blue skies the entire time and that all plans go with out a hitch! And no accidents for the GB! Amen! Oh, BTW, the wall safe in the Pop, it has a.......Key! Wink. Wink. :laughing:

You sound like you've stayed up late nights dreaming about all this. don't worry, I do to! :)

All I can say is that you have soooo much to look forward to, and I'm really, really excited for you!

Keep it comin'!
That I have! And I've had a few nightmares about forgotten cameras, oversleeping, rides going donw and sudden monsoons.

GB sounds like you have lots of 'firsts' to experience with your family. It is going to be great!!!
Yep! I can't wait!

GB~

You've got nothing to worry about, your wise to the ways of the World now, you've done all the planning, you've dotted every T and crossed every eye, I, I meant I. (he he)
You'll have a blast I just know it! How could you not!?! Your going to WDW and your staying at the Pop! I had so much fun, planning my last trip, it was the part of getting everyone to stick with the plan that gave me the most heartache. :laughing: ;) I thought things over and over and changed Dinning plans a thousand times, but the one thing I didn't change my mind about was staying at the Pop! My kids thought this was going to be a great place, and as it turned out, it was!
My daughter thought the Hippy Dippy pool was sure to be pleasing and she was right, the Pop gives a lot for the young eye to look at and take in, you'll have a blast watching your little one's take it in.
We are definitely looking forward to the Pop.
Since your touring AK this time around, y'all can not miss.....the Festival of The Lion King show! It's a total must! You'll absolutely love it and the kids will have a blast, it's a total feast for the eyes! Another something I might add, don't stand behind the camera the whole time taking videos and pictures like I did, I think I missed everything because I was just sure I would never be back there again and so I recorded almost everything.
The next summer when God blessed me with a free stay in kuh-SIM-ee and a free park ticket+hopper, I made sure I took hardly any pics, I just enjoyed doing the parks and allowed myself to take it in, I had a much better time. :yay:
I'm looking forward to both Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo: The Musical. I'm sure I'll be divided between real life and the lens.
:woohoo: I'm so blessed by your getting to go! I pray that you and your family will be met with blue skies the entire time and that all plans go with out a hitch! And no accidents for the GB! Amen! Oh, BTW, the wall safe in the Pop, it has a.......Key! Wink. Wink. :laughing:
Thanks. I'm definitely doing the countdown dance.

I can't believe how much you have to look forward to! That post is an excellent to do list for anyone. You just made me so excited for my trip and gave me a few new destinations.

I can't believe how many changes there has been since 1991! You will have a wonderful time, of course, you are a silver lining kind of guy. :thumbsup2

I can't believe how much you have to look forward to! That post is an excellent to do list for anyone. You just made me so excited for my trip and gave me a few new destinations.

I can't believe how many changes there has been since 1991! You will have a wonderful time, of course, you are a silver lining kind of guy. :thumbsup2
I know! I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. I definitely try to be a silver lining person, even though it doesn't always work out that way. If you happen to bump into the biscuit clan, be sure to say hey!

Episode 40 - Pearl Harbor and Donald Duck

Carving though the hills of the Ozarks, the country road bore only one vehicle that hot humid August afternoon. A Wonder Bread delivery truck crawled slowly up the hills and around the curves. At the wheel a young man kept one eye on the road, while his mind longed for something more. Like most small town boys, he had dreams of a better life, and like most, the realities of his situation were becoming more and more apparent. Rural Arkansas in the 1940’s was not exactly a hotbed of opportunity.

Pulling into town, Walter waved at the usual folks, sitting in their usual spots, going about their usual lives. Nothing about the day made it unique from any other until he happened to pass a window in the town’s square. There, a new poster hung. It’s bright colors and bold wording drew his eye and though he had deliveries yet to make, he stopped and looked to see what it said. To his surprise, it was an announcement that a Navy recruiter would be in town the following day.

This was it! This was his one chance to lay down his delivery hat and get out of this small town. Breaking the news to his parents might be difficult. The war in Europe was going poorly and everyone said it was only a matter of time before America would be drawn into a second world war. Yet Walter knew that this was something he must do.

Inexplicably they took the news better than he thought. The next day Walter and his cousin Perry enlisted and were soon on a train steaming west to California. They were on the way to Navy bootcamp! Over the course of the next six weeks, the two cousins endured the most difficult challenge of their lives. Finally the day arrived they had been looking forward to. The new recruits were to receive their ship assignments! Walter couldn’t wait to see what he would get. He hoped for a carrier, but would settle for a battleship or a destroyer.

The list was finally posted and to his great disappointment, Walter discovered that not only had he not gotten any of those assignments, but instead had drawn a target ship. While everyone else was out preparing for war, he’d be towing targets for ships and planes to practice shooting at. Yet, Walter supposed it could have been worse. Besides, he’d still be at sea and that was all that mattered. The next few months were a time of great excitement. Before long, Walter’s old life in Arkansas faded away as if it had been a dream.

In early December the crew got the news that the ship would be putting into port for a few days. Everyone was thrilled! This would be Walter’s first time in port and his first chance to get off the ship in months. The ship docked in Pearl Harbor on the north side of Ford Island. When Sunday morning came, Walter was up early. He had promised his mother he’d be in church every week, and he was on his way topside to catch the shore tender. Little did he know that this promise would save his life.

Just as he reached the deck an explosion rocked the ship. The attack on Pearl Harbor had begun and his ship, the USS Utah was one of the first casualties.

The scene that greeted him was surreal. Seemingly countless planes buzzed through the air, strafing the deck with machine gun fire and bombing other ships. Immediately after being hit by a torpedo, the Utah began to roll to port. The order was given to abandon ship, but with the ship continuing to roll, there was only one way off. Walter joined his shipmates in climbing upwards to the starboard side of the ship and jumped as far out as he could into the water. Because of the angle of the ship, he was not able to fully clear the side. He felt a sharp pain as he fell and when he hit the water, his legs were on fire.

As he fad fallen, his legs had banged into the side of the ship and the barnacles had shred his pants and gouged his legs. He managed to swim the short distance to shore and pulled himself up the bank. He and his shipmates stumbled up the slope and rolled into a drainage ditch. They got themselves as low as they could and had nothing to do but wait and pray. They spent the spent the next intense moments slamming themselves from one side of the ditch to the other and pressing against the bank. When a plane come in and strafe them with gunfire, they needed to be on the same side of the ditch the plan was approaching from. That would give them best cover from overhead fire.

At one point in the battle, it seemed as if all the air around them was suddenly sucked away and a moment later a massive explosion rattled their teeth and left their ears ringing. The Arizona had just gone down.

Miraculously, God heard the prayers of those sailors and when the battle was over they had survived. Walter limped his way to the infirmary and when he arrived, he stopped in his tracks. Before him, the carnage that he saw was beyond comprehension. He looked down at his legs and decided he didn’t need a doctor after all. Turning, Walter joined his crewmates helping others who were trapped and wounded.

Over the course of the next four years, Walter would be in 9 battles, including 5 major battles for which he would earn battle stars. He would receive the purple heart, survive a hurricane, find true love, marry, and feel the call to ministry all before the end of the war. When the Lord would finally call him home over forty years later, he would leave behind a legacy of faith and love.

Today on Ford Island, there are only two ships remaining from the Pearl Harbor attack, the USS Arizona and the USS Utah. While the Arizona receives frequent attention and visitors, the Utah is rarely seen and sits as a quiet memorial to all of those who remain entombed aboard her today. To the crew of the Utah and to all of those who have served our country, I say thank you and God Bless you on this Memorial Day. To my grandfather Walter, you are loved and missed and I look forward to the day when we are all together again.

We now rejoin our regularly scheduled program. Holidays in America have one thing in common: sales. Memorial day is no different. With an impending trip to The World, it seemed logical to journey forth on a quest to procure our remaining provisions. There were two items which topped the list, a new suitcase and shoes for yours truly. One would think that purchasing a pair of shoes would be a common, easy to execute activity. But when it comes to Great Biscuit, things are never that simple.

I have feet like a duck, namely short and wide. Locating shoes that fit is problematic at best. You would think that quadruple E width shoes would be easy to come by. Let me tell you, they are not. Since I was a wee young dumpling, shoe shopping was an exercise in irritation. If you ever wondered why Donald is always barefoot, he’s not making a fashion statement. It’s simply a difficult and arduous task to locate adequate footwear. (Now as to why he doesn’t wear pants, I’m afraid I am not qualified to speculate.)

About a year ago, our handy dandy Kohls store began carrying wide width Reeboks. This was a great and joyful discovery in my life. Finally I could shop for shoes without driving halfway to nowhere. Saturday, we headed over and I found to my great delight that not only was there a pair of 4E width Reeboks, they also had a pair of 4E width Nike’s. I also discovered that a 9.5 4E in the former is the exact same size as an 11 4E in latter. Of course I discovered this by cutting off the circulation to my right foot trying to cram it into a size 9.5.

After much staring at the two, I did what every good man does when faced with a shopping decision. I asked my wife and children. They all voted in favor of the Nike so I guess I’m back in fashion. It was bound to happen at some point.

Our next discovery was a 4 piece set of American Tourister luggage, originally $199 with a sign that said Power Hour $74.99. Which was great, except that it wasn’t power hour, they had forgotten to remove the sign. But the kind manager we located followed us over, said “Ouch”, picked up the sign, walked us to the front, and told the clerk to give us the sale price. SCORE.

Then we had our 20% off coupon that came in the mail AND we got 15% Kohls Cash back. Double Score! So we got about 75% off the luggage. And since the shoes were on sale for half of, we got a right nifty deal on them as well.

Have I said that I love Kohls? It’s our favorite place to shop. Well, that about does it for this episode. See you guys on Thursday when we’ll be discussing the finer points of Disney Dining.

Coming up on Episode 41 – Dining Dilemmas

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter