Beware of Very Cold Lazy River

17 years of my life was spent managing pools.

Competition pools are usually 78-82 degrees.

Leisure pools should be no lower than 86 degrees.

The heaters are not working and they may be having issues getting new parts. The gym I belong to right now had that issue with the outdoor pool this summer. At least it was hot enough to warm the pools.
Do hotels really set pool temps to 86? Anything above 80 seems warm to me, but I also grew up swimming in the northeast.

Do hotels really set pool temps to 86? Anything above 80 seems warm to me, but I also grew up swimming in the northeast.
Anything about 82 is gross to me. However, for me as a swimmer a pool is for swimming laps and not playing in, lol.

We kept the water in the rides at the water park at around 82. The neighborhood pools were warmer because we taught swimming lessons and little kids don't tolerate cold water well when they're taking lessons.

The 86 for pools is taking into account the sun warming the pools up, if they're outdoors, and for the pool boiler/heater. If you let the water get to warm then you have to fight the black algae which is not fun.

I agree with the consensus in this thread that the Aulani lazy river is too cold. I just spent 12 days there and the only time I found the temperature comfortable was when and if the sun was shining during the middle of the day. Almost every other adult I spoke with made the comment too that the lazy river was cold. Now I understand equipment issues might be at play here but if it's a choice to not heat the pool its a mistake IMO.

Just an FYI for those who may be travelling to Aulani in near future.

We are just back from a family trip in early Dec. Our family has been to Aulani many times now and we love the lazy river, particularly my wife who has some mobility issues and loves to float and walk the river. The river for this trip was abnormally cold. Like very cold to the point that my wife couldn’t get in (along with many other guests). My sons and I are used to swimming in cool water and we also found it uncomfortably cold and only went for a couple of quick laps.

I raised issue with guest services who said they have been getting complaints but that the river is set for 82 degrees and that is what it should be. I indicated it was no where near that temperature and asked they they check things out. They said they would advise recreation and get back to me, They never did. I did ask a few lazy river life guards who said the river was definitely much colder than normal but they had not heard anything official. One life guard heard a rumour that the heater was broken but had no idea when things might get better. Other guests were speculating that Disney has just lowered temps to save on energy costs. At this point, we have no idea if something was broken but we have made some inquiries to help alleviate our concerns for future trips.

On the definite plus side, we did find cast members to be very friendly and courteous. In addition, the staff levels have improved considerably since our trip from April.
I was there from 12/14-12/21 and it was very cold the entire time. This was our first time there and we thought only the KaMaka Grotto pool and the hot tubs were heated. We ended up going to the ocean and Ka Maka during most days as the lazy river was chilly.

I was there from 12/14-12/21 and it was very cold the entire time. This was our first time there and we thought only the KaMaka Grotto pool and the hot tubs were heated. We ended up going to the ocean and Ka Maka during most days as the lazy river was chilly.
Waiting for the supply chain DIS stans to tell us it takes time to maintain a pool heater and that pools colder than the ocean is acceptable in a luxury resort.

I just want to know if it's a choice or is it a malfunction/equipment issue.

Yes I am aware of just how much of a first world problem this is too. I just love any excuse to talk about Aulani. Even with this debilitating issue I was able to pass the time in not to much discomfort. Lol

Co sign this 100%. There 12/17-12/23.

I have received the response below to my query to DVC Member Services (I also sent email directly to Aulani but have received nothing back)

“Engineering has been balancing hot water maintenance and this has impacted the Waikolohe Stream pool. Currently the team is working really hard to remedy the situation and are working on fixing the boilers that Aulani specifically has for the Recreation Pools. I hope this information is helpful.”

So…they have confirmed that boilers are used to heat the pools and there is something wrong with them. Given more current reports on this thread it appears that there still must be unresolved issues.

Things can breakdown (and perhaps parts delays maybe a factor) but I do think the resort needs to be more honest with their guests.

I have received the response below to my query to DVC Member Services (I also sent email directly to Aulani but have received nothing back)

“Engineering has been balancing hot water maintenance and this has impacted the Waikolohe Stream pool. Currently the team is working really hard to remedy the situation and are working on fixing the boilers that Aulani specifically has for the Recreation Pools. I hope this information is helpful.”

So…they have confirmed that boilers are used to heat the pools and there is something wrong with them. Given more current reports on this thread it appears that there still must be unresolved issues.

Things can breakdown (and perhaps parts delays maybe a factor) but I do think the resort needs to be more honest with their guests.
Thanks for finding out the actual status of the situation. Whats annoying is that they’re apparently “working on fixing” the boilers, as opposed to actually fixing them. With a low around 64 degrees today in Kapolei, this would be the time of year to take care of the issue in a timely manner.

Last edited:
Thanks for find out the actual status of the situation. Whats annoying is that they’re apparently “working on fixing” the boilers, as opposed to actually fixing them. With a low around 64 degrees today in Kapolei, this would be the time of year to take care of the issue in a timely manner.

If those boilers were responsible for providing hot water to rooms or kitchens, they'd be fixed in a day. There is no revenue from the pools.

Based on original rather dismissive response I received from Aulani guest services while at the resort and the tone of subsequent responses from DVC member services, I must say I’m not overly impressed. Despite fact that many go to Aulani specifically for water park features, I get the sense that they are not too concerned with this issue and the negative impact to those that highly value lazy river. There has been nothing close to even expressing regret, concerned about negative experience caused by sub standard amenity etc..

I am also still concerned that Aulani was essentially trying to hide that boilers were not working properly. They tried to say that lazy river was set at 82 and that is what it should be at knowing this was not the case. Life goes on for sure but unfortunately at this point I have little confidence to book future trips based on their response. I did wander down the beach to Marriot Vacation Club resort and the pools looked very nice (but didn’t check temperature 😊). We may save DVC points for WDW resorts and book here next time.

Last edited:
Crazy this still isn't fixed.

I know, I know, we aren't supposed to criticize Aulani, which is the best resort and/or timeshare anywhere.

Every time I get close to booking Aulani, there is a new reason why not to. This is the latest one. This is unacceptable. The only reason we would book Aulani vs any other resort on Oahu is for the pools, which clearly APPEAR to be superior. But non heated pools in winter? Unacceptable and cheap. They don't deserve my money right now. I'm starting to think we will never stay there.

Crazy this still isn't fixed.

I know, I know, we aren't supposed to criticize Aulani, which is the best resort and/or timeshare anywhere.
Exactly! You have finally reached an elevated level of understanding, and, I hope, inner peace. Just meditate, breathe deeply, and picture a mystical mountain of resorts, with a narrow pathway leading to the one perched at the very peak…Aulani!

That said, agreed, this problem should have been fixed weeks ago. Due to a cancelled WDW trip in September and some expiring points, we’ll be back there in February. American Idol is already occupying a piece of the beach, so maybe they’ll at least have taken care of this annoyance.

We never stay in the winter because it is generally too cold for Aulani although lazy river was quite cold back in Oct. Ocean is a nice diversion for now. Feb is coldest 🥶 fyi!

We never stay in the winter because it is generally too cold for Aulani although lazy river was quite cold back in Oct. Ocean is a nice diversion for now. Feb is coldest 🥶 fyi!
Suck it up Hawaiian! I’m gonna give it a shot tomorrow! Happy new year 808!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter