Beware of Very Cold Lazy River

PetePanMan

DIS Veteran
Just an FYI for those who may be travelling to Aulani in near future.

We are just back from a family trip in early Dec. Our family has been to Aulani many times now and we love the lazy river, particularly my wife who has some mobility issues and loves to float and walk the river. The river for this trip was abnormally cold. Like very cold to the point that my wife couldn’t get in (along with many other guests). My sons and I are used to swimming in cool water and we also found it uncomfortably cold and only went for a couple of quick laps.

I raised issue with guest services who said they have been getting complaints but that the river is set for 82 degrees and that is what it should be. I indicated it was no where near that temperature and asked they they check things out. They said they would advise recreation and get back to me, They never did. I did ask a few lazy river life guards who said the river was definitely much colder than normal but they had not heard anything official. One life guard heard a rumour that the heater was broken but had no idea when things might get better. Other guests were speculating that Disney has just lowered temps to save on energy costs. At this point, we have no idea if something was broken but we have made some inquiries to help alleviate our concerns for future trips.

On the definite plus side, we did find cast members to be very friendly and courteous. In addition, the staff levels have improved considerably since our trip from April.

Just an FYI for those who may be travelling to Aulani in near future.

We are just back from a family trip in early Dec. Our family has been to Aulani many times now and we love the lazy river, particularly my wife who has some mobility issues and loves to float and walk the river. The river for this trip was abnormally cold. Like very cold to the point that my wife couldn’t get in (along with many other guests). My sons and I are used to swimming in cool water and we also found it uncomfortably cold and only went for a couple of quick laps.

I raised issue with guest services who said they have been getting complaints but that the river is set for 82 degrees and that is what it should be. I indicated it was no where near that temperature and asked they they check things out. They said they would advise recreation and get back to me, They never did. I did ask a few lazy river life guards who said the river was definitely much colder than normal but they had not heard anything official. One life guard heard a rumour that the heater was broken but had no idea when things might get better. Other guests were speculating that Disney has just lowered temps to save on energy costs. At this point, we have no idea if something was broken but we have made some inquiries to help alleviate our concerns for future trips.

On the definite plus side, we did find cast members to be very friendly and courteous. In addition, the staff levels have improved considerably since our trip from April.
We just got back as well and you are indeed, right, the lazy river was too cold. The ocean water was warmer. I just figured that it wasn’t heated at all and was reflecting the outside temperature, which was a tad on the cooler side.

We usually do it almost every day, but not this time. I’m glad you alerted cast members to the issue!

There's been a lot of debate about pool temperatures on an Aulani facebook group I'm in and some were told the pool heaters were broken, but recently fixed. Someone brought a pool thermometer and took these temperatures earlier this week (I think 12/11 or 12/12, can't remember the exact day):

Lazy River - 75°
Kids Play Area - 73°
Main Pool - 76°
Ka Maka Grotto - 78°
Wailana Pool - 82°
Ka Maka Grotto Spa - 97°
Ocean - 76°

I'm kinda a wus when it comes to cold water and didn't think the lazy river was that bad, but I have a feeling the temperature was higher this week than it had been earlier this month and last month.

When I was there in the second week of November, I don't think that any of the pools were heated. They were all colder than the ocean. I was rather disappointed in that since Aulani advertises heated pools and nobody told us that the heaters weren't working.

Interesting to see other experiences, the recent temps of pools, and different factors that may be at play. We have been numerous times in Jan and Feb and it was never close to this temperature. The weather while we there was also pretty good with lows of about 72-73 and highs 86’sh. Ocean definitely felt warmer.

We were there in October and were always the first ones in the lazy river at 8am. It was freezing until the sun warmed the pool around 11am, and the pools were cold again around 5pm. The other pools were warmer since the sun seemed to hit them directly.

When I was there in the second week of November, I don't think that any of the pools were heated. They were all colder than the ocean. I was rather disappointed in that since Aulani advertises heated pools and nobody told us that the heaters weren't working.

I’m not even sure if it’s true that the heaters were broken. Various people in the Facebook group were told different things by different CMs, including one CM who said the pools were never heated.

I've always found the lazy river to be cold in the winter, as far back as my first winter trip in 2019. It gets zero sun until mid-afternoon.

I’m not even sure if it’s true that the heaters were broken. Various people in the Facebook group were told different things by different CMs, including one CM who said the pools were never heated.
Well, that's clearly untrue. Aulani even advertises their green credentials by noting that excess heat from the air conditioners is used to heat the pools.

Well, that's clearly untrue. Aulani even advertises their green credentials by noting that excess heat from the air conditioners is used to heat the pools.

Yeah I mean it’s all to say I don’t think we can trust what a CM says since they all have different responses. And I’m not sure a CM not directly involved in the pool maintenance would even know.

Yeah I mean it’s all to say I don’t think we can trust what a CM says since they all have different responses. And I’m not sure a CM not directly involved in the pool maintenance would even know.
Oh, sure. CMs can't say that they don't know something, so they just make up stuff. Happens all the time. There were somewhat recent threads on this board about reusable soda mugs and magic bands that had the same problem of CMs making up nonsense.

You are right. We don’t know what the issue is but would like an answer. I don’t know if they have heaters or not. I don’t understand if sun angles make that big a difference in early Dec or not (but know that was not the case for numerous trips in late January and February). We did talk to a number of people who regularly travel to Aulani in early Dec. and they were very surprised with cold temperature. I have sent queries to resort and DVC and will keep forum posted.

Imagine a so-called luxury resort having their pools colder than the ocean, this is absolutely ridiculous and yet another in a long line of cost-cutting when and where possible.
They said that there was an issue with the heaters. Some of them have been fixed and the pools are up to temp. It is just the lazy river remaining that is still cold. They are not just going to lower the temperature for a few weeks. It would take more energy to reheat it then to just keep it at temp. Always the same conspiracy from some of you.

17 years of my life was spent managing pools.

Competition pools are usually 78-82 degrees.

Leisure pools should be no lower than 86 degrees.

The heaters are not working and they may be having issues getting new parts. The gym I belong to right now had that issue with the outdoor pool this summer. At least it was hot enough to warm the pools.

Here now and lazy river is definitely colder than main pools.

Also the pools have been closed all day due to storm/heavy winds—strong enough to blow deck chairs in pools and knock over trees. Sun is out but setting soon—don’t think they’ll reopen pools tonight due to lots of debris. :/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts