Bama Ed Is At The Fort April 2013

I so love the sounds of the Fort too...especially first thing in the morning!! I soooo have Disney fever now.

The hubbie and I are heading to Disney for our anniversary in June, but we're staying at Shades of Green. I gotta feeling we'll be visiting the Fort often though. :goodvibes

Its beautiful and warm today.
Sure, rub it in to us up north......24 degrees and snow today:sad:
The golf cart would have looked a lot better with a Big Red N on it.:lmao::lmao:
Best place we found at Universal was Margaritaville..:cool1:
I know what you mean by wanting to watch your kid march at universal, we watched our DS march down Disney main street in '98, what a thrill.
Looks like my kind of Supper.::yes::
Love the trip report since we can not get back to fort until Dec 2014:sad:
Have fun.....

I always look for your posts. My family will be at the Fort for the first time in November and I already feel like I've been there through your descriptions and pictures.

For those that don't bring golf carts to the marina, here is some inspiration. Doesn't this look like an active, fun family?
I have no idea why I never thought of scooters before. They fold up nice and small and 3 out of 4 of my kids already have one. Thanks for the pic/inspiration!

Friday morning update April 12.

Well last night after I posted about hearing the EWP music a few minutes later was the "thump thurmp" of the MK fireworks and a colored glow in the sky each time a burst went off. I'm going to have to get down to the marina one night to watch both.

I have two strings of the Micki globe indoor/outdoor Christmas tacky lights on my pup awning. Here is a night shot with the tv glowing also:

This morning I was up in the darkness to do a morning jog/walk. I have mapped out 3 different 5k routes (two of which involve a boat ride back to the Fort) but this morning was the Fort Loop. Basically, you do a big figure 8 from the marina end along either side of the Meadow TP, up and around through the cabin loop, and then go through loops 1500 and 2000 to get the mileage correct. I use this tool to map/measure. It works great: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com

Two notes from my jog this morning. I used to be a runner and have done marathons (Disney 2004), halves (Disney 2002), and the rest. You know how in the dark you spot a point about 15 feet in front of you and focus on it for something that might trip you up. Well I'm doing that and an armadillo scampers in front of me across the road about 3 feet in front (barely in my field of vision) by the cabin pool. Scared me. His toenails and shell made a scraping clickety clacking sound as he went by.

Updates from last night's reconnoiter. 1500 was completely full last night and 2000 had 21 sites filled out of 69. 18 of the 21 were up by the entrance to the loop or that front CS. Three brave souls were WAY in the back near the back CS. Lots of empty sites in between.

The dark morning is not quiet though. Going past the 2100/1100 Comfort Station is a bat house that sounded all squeaky inside. Someone was OBVIOUSLY having a party in there. :banana: :dancer:party::drinking1:crazy: Must have been karoke night. Here is the bat house in the daylight:

A little construction work is taking place between the Bike Barn and the Meadow Pool. They are paving some more sidewalk and building a curb. Here is a picture from the bridge going to the TP and then a peek inside the fence.

Speaking of sidewalk, I did revisit some favorites on this trip. Somewhere in the Fort is a patch of sidewalk with the initials ED in it. I have no idea how it got there. ;) But I post a picture of it every trip as an homage.

Later I'll post lots of pix from the HDDR open rehearsal I attended this morning at 8am. I have a bit of a walkabout planned also for today. The weather is a somewhat blustery and cloudy. Today is the best day for a chance of some real rain but it's warm so that makes it okay.

Bama Ed

Sounds like your having a blast Ed I'm like everyone else in here and can't wait to get back to the fort. We are going for a quick weekend in july. Looking forward to hearing about the HDDR and keep the great pics coming.

I lurk FAR more than I post, but I wanted to say that I'm following along and a huge THANK YOU for doing this TR. It is nothing short of wonderful to be able to at least experience the fort vicariously through you since we won't be able to head down for quite some time.

Can't wait for your next updates and keep it up!

Sunshine

I heard the "thump-thump" of the Illuminations fireworks from Epcot right after 9pm too. I love the sounds of the Fort. The boat whistles, the bus brakes, the fireworks sounds.

You just nailed it. Us too. We just bought a "Disney approved" firepit before our last visit over Spring Break. Sitting around the fire and hearing the "Fort sounds" are our favorite.

After a quick breakfast this morning it was over to Pioneer Hall to see the HDDR open rehearsal.

After speaking with some CMs from the Entertainment group (the suits with name tags) I found that there were two full teams of HDDR who were learning the show to be "fill-in" or "back up" characters. There's not too much turnover in the lead casts (who sign one year contracts to keep/do their roles). So all six characters were new to the roles but they are CMs here on property somewhere. They had rehearsed together for three weeks and this was their first time to do it in front of real folks on the Pioneer Hall stage.

The audience was few in number for this 8 am show. The rehearsals had been advertised to CMs to view as well if they were off duty so there were about 45-50 of us with slightly more than half being CMs. No food was served but there were a few breaks, the longest of which was 5 minutes for the audio tech guys to get set up for the next scene.

So here is what Pioneer Hall looks like inside. It felt....intimate.

Professor Tommy on the piano and Smilin' Jack on the banjo said doing this at 8 am felt like working the graveyard shift in Vegas. But they were tip top today.

This was the first time for me to hear the new show since the trademark/rights dispute. This new show was good but I had really loved the old show and songs. It's hard for me to be unbiased. But the performers really sold it and played their parts over the top which is what HDDR requires. Here are some show pix:

These two guys win a prize for planning ahead. I said no food was served but we were allowed to bring in food/drink as long as we cleaned up after ourselves. So these guys brought a 10-piece KFC chicken bucket with all the sides (mash spuds, gravy, biscuits, IBC root beer) as well as strawberry shortcake and a can of Readi-whip. Oh, and empty mason jars to drink out of. They're winners in my book.

A tender moment between Flora and Jim (with Smilin' Jack providing mood music).

The Davy Crockett song with Johnny Ringo in the lead with Six Bits in the bear costume. Expect lots of bad "bear" puns.

Volunteers were selected from the audience of course and got certificates for helping out.

A final bow then they were out the door...

It took about 80 minutes to go through. They still did a birthday/anniversary song, what state are you from song, etc but most of the music was new to me. But since there were so few of us, we all received a lot of attention from Johnny, Claire, Six Bits, Dolly, Flora, and Jim.

The 10am show was supposed to be the second set of players and the 1215pm show was supposed to be my 8am group again. So it was neat but I think I will pass on a show business career. :3dglasses

Bama Ed

Thank you for sharing. I especially enjoyed hearing about the Hoop-de-Doo.

We will be there in May, and plan on attending our first HDDR ever!

This afternoon has been relaxing.

After lunch I did one of those things I've never done but always wanted to do. I took the monorail to Epcot from the Fort (so to speak). We've always driven to all Disney parks in the mornings except MK so I wondered how long it really took to get to Epcot. The answer is: 40 minutes from when the boat leaves the Fort dock.

The first boat available was the big one to the MK. So we got on, cruised over, took a few snaps, then hopped the monorail through the Contemporary to the TTC. The pictures tell the story.

Bama Ed

Then once you get to the TTC you have to get off that loop and get on the Epcot monorail loop. We didn't have to wait long. We circled around Epcot, dropped off passengers but we stayed on back to the TTC. Then I hopped the monorail by the Poly, Grand Floridian, and back to the Contemporary to catch the boat back to the Fort.

Then it was time to relax for a while and watch the start of the Masters.

Bama Ed

Just wondering would you take that way again to epcot or would you drive and park in their lot?

Looks great Ed! We did the HDR in June and I have to admit it was probably the best dinner show after Dixie Stampede in Pigeon Forge, but that show has horses so it is a little hard to beat. I was curious, you said the show had changed, has that been since we were there in June or have we probably already seen new show?

We tried the same route to Epcot just to see. Time wise I felt like the bus was quicker, but the scenery and atmosphere of the iconic monorail was great. So I felt like it was kinda whatever you were in the mood for. What do you think?

lovin the TR! thanks Ed for sharing with us! How cool that you got to see the HDDR rehearsal.
Peach

Loving it...:lovestruc, brought my eight yr old niece with us... showing here the pics of the fort, she can't wait to get to the fort, she's been to WDW many times first time to the fort... she is so excited... keep the fort pics coming. :thumbsup2

Finally getting a chance to post and say "awesome report"! Loving it! I will definitely be showing your pictures to my mom- she hasnt' been there in about 15 years, and we've talked her into going down with us this Christmas! She's riding down with us in our motorhome, and we'll be there almost 2 weeks! She's going to spend a week at POP, and the rest of the time with us- we are so excited. She has never been able to go to Disney with younger children, so to be able to share this with her grandchildren- they are going to be 8, 8, 11, and 11- it's going to be such a special memory! Being able to share your trip report with her is going to make her even more excited!

We are buried in snow up here in MN- the winter that never ends this year. So we are very envious of you being in that beautiful warm weather- rain or not! Have a wonderful time!!

After the monorail ride it was time to watch the Masters some and then about 5 pm I went out for a bike ride. A couple updates from earlier posts:

In 2000 loop remember all those empty sites I told you about? 18 of them are being used by a Cub Scout Pack. The group camping area is also full. The 18 sites are all labeled so families can find where they are camping: signs like this...

As a former Cub Scout den leader and Packmaster, I approve of this activity. Family camping as a Cub Scout at the Fort must be really cool if you're a young man. pirate:

The backside of 2000 was filling up too. I cruised through 1800 and 1900 and there were only TWO trailers in each circle. This was at 5pm on a Friday afternoon. I would have expected more folks than that. So my guess that the Fort would fill up over the weekend might be wrong. The Partials might fill but there are vacancies.

Earlier today the Archery activity was in full swing. Several little kids were doing it as well as some adults. I've not seen this in person before so it was interesting. This activity takes place behind the Bike Barn where the Segway tour sets up daily. There is a slight charge but it's not too bad.

Peter Pan was the movie tonight and the weather was pleasant this evening so I went down to the campfire sing-along to catch Chip and Dale in action with Cowboy Anthony. As Cowboy Anthony says in the opening, "it's a sing-along and not a stare-along". Your active participation is welcome. So here was the setting.

Smoke can drift anywhere.

A complete smores kit is $10 now.

As a reminder the campfire/singalong/movie starts with the fire lighting at 730pm during this time of year (roast some marshmallows), Chip/Dale/Cowboy Anthony come on at 8, and the movie starts at 840. C&D circulate among the rows posing for pictures so there is no need to go to them - one of them will get to you.

A little later tonight we head the beach for the EWP and the fireworks over the MK. The low fireworks which are more over the park area are obscured by the trees at Discovery Island. But the higher fireworks are off to the right and are probably shot over the march/swamp for safety reasons. The music was piped into the Fort beach and it came out very nice.

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter