Bama Ed Is At The Fort April 2013

Really enjoyed your trip report. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Love college football and WDW!!

. . . I had a few electrical problems all the way home with my tow vehicle and/or camper. I'm going to have to find out what's causing it . . .

It might help if you used a car or truck instead of a bike as a tow vehicle.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: Cute!

Seriously, tho- thanks Bama Ed, for the awesome report. I think you made us all feel a little closer to the fort over the last few days- we are counting down until Christmas! Can't wait to meet some fellow Dis'ers then! :thumbsup2

For any AU people reading this, Ed turned out to be a pretty good UA guy:goodvibes

Ahhhhh....:scratchin The redeeming qualities of the Fort.
Nothin' like this common ground.
RS- "... instead of a bike as a tow vehicle.". heee heee

Thanks for The Good Reading.
Uplifting, with the stark dumbness in the world right now. And thanks for the sharing/answers over time, betweentimes, Ed.:wave2:

waiting patiently....popcorn:: :rolleyes1

Ditto for you, storyteller!
We know this was a special...or certainly unique trip, for you, but I'd love to read later of a couple good parts! (But certainly, don't feel like ya haf too! Just if.)

"When I found out he was watching 5 kids, I came to him...",
It sounds like you had so much to do/slash/fun, that could certainly keep your mind occupied, somewhat. More than that! Whew! What a lot of work but what a good kid gift. Hope you're feeling it was!pirate:

I see a lot of singles or honeymooning or independent TR's, But after you unpack, if ever, t'would be sure nice to see a thread on things from your young crew's point of view!

I have been pondering today what it would be like to take a trip to the Fort and not include any time in the parks. There is so much to do there, and really, even the boat ride across to MK and a ride on the monorail is fun in itself---just as you have described

Maxine, I didn't really miss the parks. We have come nearly annually for the last ten years so if I miss a year it's no biggie. I realize everyone's circumstances are different. If I came only once every three years, for example, I'd hit the parks each trip. I would like to see the new Fantasyland but that will have to wait till next trip.

Bama Ed, really enjoying your report here in upstate NY. I can relate to your enjoyment of the Masters tournament as I watched it with my Dad every year on TV while growing up. Five years ago I took my Dad to see a few days of the practice round including the par three tournament on wednesday and it was an incredible place to see in person. We especially liked sitting in the stands at the par three 16th where they purposely skip the ball across the water to green. I am booked at the fort for ten days next year during the playing of the 2014 Masters and have plans to watch it while I am there. Great trip report and thanks for sharing. jeffrey 66

jeffrey, you sound like a good son. When you come next year, leave a little flexability in your plan to stay at the Fort and watch the Saturday or Sunday round outside at your Fort campsite. If I'm there at the same time, can I come over and watch it with you? I"ll bring the popcorn. popcorn::

Bama Ed, it was a pleasure to have met you and really enjoy reading your TR, hope to run into again some day and have more time and maybe a beer. Thanks for the visit.:thumbsup2

I'd like that, storyteller. But I ain't coming back unfortunately till next year, probably in the spring time.

Hey Ed, Enjoying the trip report. Getting more excited for our Halloween trip to the Fort. We also love Gulf State Park. Were checking in there this Friday for an 9 day Spring Break camping trip.

Flametamr, have fun at Gulf. I love camping there during this time of year between spring break and Memorial Day. Our trips there have turned into "eating/drinking our way across Baldwin County". We buy some muscadine wine at the Perdido Winery, pick up local produce at Burris' Farmers Market, off-the-boat seafood and shrimp from Billy's Seafood in Bon Secour, and fresh cheese from Sweet Home Farm outside Elberta. I hope your trip is relaxing! :thumbsup2

Ed, It was good to finally meet you in person last week. I enjoyed our chit-chats about this and that. We left Saturday around noon and had a nice drive to Lake City. Sunday morning it was cloudy. We hit rain just north of there and kept with it all the way to Atlanta....heavy lightning stuff to drizzle. Uneventful trip, no wrecks, just some slowing near the big city.

For any AU people reading this, Ed turned out to be a pretty good UA guy. :goodvibes And is looks like he and his father had a pretty enjoyable visit at the Fort.

Ken, glad you made it home safe. We had some bad weather just north of Orlando and Ocala on Sunday and I knew you were in front of it but wasn't sure how far it extended north. I'd like to chat more some time.

And PLEASE don't ruin my rep with some Auburn fans. I'd rather have them think I'm a REC member, a teabaggin' Updyke, a rednecked Bammer. (for those of you who don't understand those references, it's not important :rolleyes:)

Really enjoyed your trip report. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Love college football and WDW!!

Hiya testubes, howya been? Thanks for checking in. :banana:

Touche' my friend, touche'.

What are your mother and I going to do with you?

Please. Don't encourage him.... :sad2:

This is so good to hear. I may live in Illinois now but my heart will always be in my sweet home Alabama and my Auburn tigers.

Gwen, thanks for coming clean with us. That's the first step on the road to recovery. :lmao:

And onward we go.

Bama Ed

I've made several references to our trip down and how we did things differently. It worked out well and I'd like to tell you about it.

From my home to the Fort is about 560 miles. We can make it in about 10 hours when the family is with me. Plus we gain an our going to the Eastern Time Zone. If we make the trip in a full day, we get to the Fort late in the afternoon. For example, if we leave at 5 am we get there at 4pm. By the time we set up, I'm hungry and the day is gone. For that I pay a full night's rate at the Fort.

Sometimes we leave after work and drive a few hours stopping in Dothan, Tallahasse, or Lake City which puts us anywhere from a few hours to maybe six hours from the Fort. Better to enjoy the arrival day at the Fort, but a popup is not conducive to a one-time stay (set up and tear down). So we usually get a hotel room ($$$$$).

The last few years I've stayed at a few Florida State Parks and am generally impressed with them. I had time on this trip so I decided to stay at a FSP close to WDW so I could go to the Fort before lunch and enjoy that first Fort day more fully. So I made a one night reservation at Lake Louisa State Park in Clermont, FL. It's only 30 minutes from WDW just to the west.

All FSP can be reserved at http://www.reservamerica.com and you can reserve a specific site. I used Google Earth to fly over the area and chose site 29 from the vacancies available on my travel date (one night). Since I wasn't in a rush that day travelling down nor leaving the next morning, I was willing to do the one night pop-up and try out Lake Louisa.

We left the 'ham at 530 am and got down to the Turnpike about 3 pm. You go down the turnpike some then exit at Hwy 27 to go to Clermont. That path takes you by Lakeridge Winery which sits on a hill off to the right within sight of the Turnpike and Hwy 27. Tasting and samples, you say? Dad and I could handle that.

We didn't mess with the tour. Just point me to the bar.

I had high hope for the sparkling wine but it disappointed. We ended up buying some Southern Red and Southern White which are muscadine based. Somewhat sweet, but then again, hey - that Cabernet grape that's so sensitive can't grow down south. Enough for dinner every night at the Fort. So we loaded up the car.

We cruised down through Clermont to Lake Louisa SP. It's pretty wide open, big, and not many trees. There are several lakes on property that have trees along the shore. Site 29 was ready for us - only two sites over from the Comfort Station. We backed in, slid out, plugged up, and unzipped the flaps. It was beautiful.

We watched the sun set then went grocery shopping that night. The food would chill overnight so that way when we got to the Fort, I wouldn't have to leave to go grocery shopping after checking in.

In the morning we had a beautiful sunrise.

Close to us was a fishing pier which Dad checked out in the morning. He was not alone.

See that thing that looks like a log by the right-most bunch of grass?

It was a 3-4 foot gator.

I'm afraid if I caught a fish he would eat it off my line before I could pull it in. But the lake sure is pretty.

We packed up leisurely around 10am and headed to the Fort and checked in around 1030. I had specified 11am on my early checkin so our site was already ready for us (#127) and our Fort adventure began on page 1 of this thread.

I really like Lake Louisa but there is not much shade cover so I bet it can be brutal in the summer months. But the bathhouse was clean, the sites were nice (some had sewer, not all and they were gravel with a concrete curb), and it was only $24/night versus nearly $100 for the Fort. So I got almost a full day at the Fort on checkin which beats 1 hour before darkness after a full day's drive. So I'm going to use Lake Louisa again in the future and if your plans allow it, you should consider it too.

Bama Ed

Really nice scenery. Quiet, serene feel, inc gator.

doing it differently...

The last few years I've stayed at a few Florida State Parks and am generally impressed with them....

I really like Lake Louisa ... the bathhouse was clean, the sites were nice (some had sewer, not all and they were gravel with a concrete curb), and it was only $24/night versus nearly $100 for the Fort. So I got almost a full day at the Fort on checkin which beats 1 hour before darkness after a full day's drive. So I'm going to use Lake Louisa again in the future and if your plans allow it, you should consider it too.

Bama Ed

Maybe this comment is more an extension of a new topic, instead of reflection on the nice trip report. I never know...?!Sorry! Well,
I very much liked the thought and logic behind all this - Lake Louisa. We just may do that.
But we are 7 hours further up the road and know we're not making it in a all night stretch. It will be our first drive through Birmingham What do you think - and anyone familliar w/ them, about the state parks near your place as to stopovers? Rockwood, Oakmountain, or other campgrounds on the way to Dothan?

Maxine, I didn't really miss the parks. We have come nearly annually for the last ten years so if I miss a year it's no biggie. I realize everyone's circumstances are different. If I came only once every three years, for example, I'd hit the parks each trip. I would like to see the new Fantasyland but that will have to wait till next trip.

Bama Ed

We haven't seen the new Fantasyland yet, but most likely will spend at least one day in the parks.

Readerbug, we've stayed many nights at Tannehill State Park near Birmingham, AL. It's very convenient right off I 20/59 & I 459. It's makes a great night stop over for us. It's a nice campground!

. . . I really like Lake Louisa . . . it was only $24/night versus nearly $100 for the Fort . . .

1) Lake Louisa State Park is a hidden gem for the area.
2) They have
. . . boating
. . . beaching
. . . camping
. . . play areas
3) They also rent 2-bedroom cabins and a have a lodge
. . . we have buddies who stay every New Year's Eve
. . . the cabins are only about $120/night
. . . very reasonable for a 2bd, 2bth, living room, kitchen, HUGE screened porch

NOTE One of our friends actually has their wedding on one of the beaches,
and their reception at the Lodge.

Here is how my Mickey tie dye shirt turned out. Note the two red Mickey heads surrounded by yellow on the front of the shirt.

I've also been driving around for two days with my Fort parking pass still on my dashboard. Guess I'll take it off tomorrow but it's nice to carry the Fort feeling a few days longer.

Not much more to tell. I've enjoyed doing this live TR and getting to interact with some of you on line and completely enjoyed seeing NorthOfMouse (and DH), retiredandhappy (Ken), storyteller (and the kids), and Stacktester in person. Ya'll take care and let other DISsers know when you are going to the Fort. And DEFINITELY put your green DIS Mickey ears sign out to help find each other. And any kind of trip report (short/long, pre/live/post, with pix/without pix) will be appreciated by everyone.

:disrocks:

Ed

PS - I'm going to spend my time at home this summer working on some snappy one-liners to use on Scupper down the road...:rolleyes:

Maybe this comment is more an extension of a new topic, instead of reflection on the nice trip report. I never know...?!Sorry! Well,
I very much liked the thought and logic behind all this - Lake Louisa. We just may do that.
But we are 7 hours further up the road and know we're not making it in a all night stretch. It will be our first drive through Birmingham What do you think - and anyone familliar w/ them, about the state parks near your place as to stopovers? Rockwood, Oakmountain, or other campgrounds on the way to Dothan?

Readerbug, I'll send you a PM to answer your questions.

Bama Ed

Thanks for the great TR Bama Ed. we are going for a short two day weekend in July and again for the week of christmas I'm gonna try and do some TR when we are there next. Thanks again for the great write up Ryan

Hey Bama Ed.... Just wanted to say :wave2: I was going to say I am half way between Bham and T-Town and then I saw the post below.

Readerbug, we've stayed many nights at Tannehill State Park near Birmingham, AL. It's very convenient right off I 20/59 & I 459. It's makes a great night stop over for us. It's a nice campground!

Hey! Thats me! Exit 100 off I-20/59 South.

We havent camped at the Fort in a while. But I enjoyed it when the kids were little. We sold the Mini-Winnie (too much maintaince) and became hotel goers and DVC members. We are looking forward to a Sept trip and taking the grandkids over to the Fort for pony rides and Campfire sing a long.... Enjoyed your trip report.

So Bama Ed.... give us a Roll Tide on your way by this fall :woohoo:

There is a campground just north of Troy, Alabama called Deer Run RV Park. We've stayed there a couple of times. It's nice for just an overnight or so because there are no activities. If you do decide on this one make sure you are on the other side of the pond/lake. That is where the bath house is located. Also it is about 7 or so miles outside of Troy so it is away from any restaurants and stores. It is located right on highway 231 and is very easy in and out. Woodall's gave it 5 w's for its facilities. Troy is between Dothan and Montgomery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter