Back from Viva Italia

A note on hairdryers and adapters vs. converters. An adapter only takes the plug of your electrical appliance and adapts it to fit into the socket -- period. If you are taking something as powerful as a hairdryer, you need an electrical converter or you will destroy it immediately. Some laptops, cell phones, iPod chargers, etc. have the converter built in, but many don't so be especially careful with those!

Dotti

My wife bought a hairdryer that was 1875 watts for this trip. It stated right on the box that it is good for 110 to 240 volts. Our battery charger did not say it was good for 110 - 240, so we went out and bought another one that was compatible. As Dotti said, this is very important or you will fry your stuff. If it doesn't say 110 - 220(or 240), then don't trust it. 240 is better because the voltage could vary slightly from place to place, but it needs to be at least 220.

note on hairdryers and adapters vs. converters. An adapter only takes the plug of your electrical appliance and adapts it to fit into the socket -- period. If you are taking something as powerful as a hairdryer, you need an electrical converter or you will destroy it immediately. Some laptops, cell phones, iPod chargers, etc. have the converter built in, but many don't so be especially careful with those!

I was in Target yesterday trying to decide whether to buy an adapter or converter. I was not sure what the difference was, beside the higher price for the converter. They did have the converter that also had the adapter plugs so I guess that would be the better way to go.

I was in Target yesterday trying to decide whether to buy an adapter or converter. I was not sure what the difference was, beside the higher price for the converter. They did have the converter that also had the adapter plugs so I guess that would be the better way to go.

Helen - The converter is what is needed to convert any items that you have that are 110 volts to 220 volts, which is what is used in Europe. This is what allows your items to be used without frying them. The adapter is basically a plug that you plug your item into before plugging them into the wall. At a minimum, you will need an adapter that will work for Italy. The outlets in Italy have 2 large round holes that you plug your items into (opposed to the flat prongs on plugs in the US). The converter is only needed if your electrical items are not universal (i.e. only are compatible with 110 volts). It should say somewhere on the item in small print whether it is good for use from 110 - 220 volts. We bought a small hairdryer at target for about $15 that did not need a converter and then we checked our battery charger and it needed a converter, so instead of paying $30 for a converter, we bought a new charger at Radio Shack for $35 and now have twice as many rechargable batteries. All of our other electronic items (laptop and phones) only needed the adapters. I hope that helps.

Helen - The converter is what is needed to convert any items that you have that are 110 volts to 220 volts, which is what is used in Europe. This is what allows your items to be used without frying them. The adapter is basically a plug that you plug your item into before plugging them into the wall. At a minimum, you will need an adapter that will work for Italy. The outlets in Italy have 2 large round holes that you plug your items into (opposed to the flat prongs on plugs in the US). The converter is only needed if your electrical items are not universal (i.e. only are compatible with 110 volts). It should say somewhere on the item in small print whether it is good for use from 110 - 220 volts. We bought a small hairdryer at target for about $15 that did not need a converter and then we checked our battery charger and it needed a converter, so instead of paying $30 for a converter, we bought a new charger at Radio Shack for $35 and now have twice as many rechargable batteries. All of our other electronic items (laptop and phones) only needed the adapters. I hope that helps.

I really appreciate all your tips and advice. I am such a dweeb when it comes to getting all this together.

I really appreciate all your tips and advice. I am such a dweeb when it comes to getting all this together.

I'm glad I could help. I'd hate to see someone fry their battery charger or hairdryer in a foreign country because they didn't understand the differences.

wow, sounds amazing! I'm so jealous! This is my dream vacation, maybe someday we will be able to get there.

Ha, No Money, that always gets a good response. I will make sure we look out for a person holding a card with either our names or Viva Italia and
I will make sure I have the Italian word for coffee written on an index card.
I found out towards the end of my Med ABD that if you want 'American-type' *coffee* ask for Cafe' Americano. Otherwise you get the teeny cup of very concentrated cafe'. Which is very good, but VERY strong, and, for me, not as satisfying as a big cup of coffee (the Americano is basically just cafe' diluted with hot water).

Sayhello

Speaking about money, where is the best place to use an ATM? Did you travel over with euros? I leave Friday and keep getting conflicting information. People say in the airport at an ATM others say find a bank and still others say not at a bank. Help! Your thoughts board members.

I took some Euros with me, probably too much. In Rome, there was an ATM/bank right around the corner that you could use and in Venice there are ATM's all over the place, but you have to walk to find one. I believe there are also ATM's in Florence, but really didn't look. The best thing to do is to use your credit card whenever possible and you'll get the best exchange rate.

Diskidatheart - Did you find that you could use credit cards at most places? I assume that I would need cash for gelato and other smaller dining places.

I took some Euros with me, probably too much. In Rome, there was an ATM/bank right around the corner that you could use and in Venice there are ATM's all over the place, but you have to walk to find one. I believe there are also ATM's in Florence, but really didn't look. The best thing to do is to use your credit card whenever possible and you'll get the best exchange rate.

Thanks for the information. I do plan on charging but I assume there will be times I need cash. Did you tip the guides in Euros? What can I expect to pay on average for a typical dinner - just want to get an idea how food prices compared to home? Can't believe trip is a few days away. :yay:

Diskidatheart - Did you find that you could use credit cards at most places? I assume that I would need cash for gelato and other smaller dining places.

I thought you could use credit cards at most places. Most restaurants were no problem and since gelato is pretty inexpensive, it's better to use cash. We did need cash for one of the restaurants, but they do have a notice on their menu if they don't accept credit cards. It's best to ask when you sit down to be sure.

Thanks for the information. I do plan on charging but I assume there will be times I need cash. Did you tip the guides in Euros? What can I expect to pay on average for a typical dinner - just want to get an idea how food prices compared to home? Can't believe trip is a few days away. :yay:

You are going to have such a wonderful time. I tipped the guides in US dollars. We figured we would be tipping the max so we set aside enough in envelopes and locked them up in each hotel room. The food prices vary as they do in the states and it depends on how much you eat. I thought that prices for the main course were very reasonable, such as 10 - 15 Euros a plate. However, we got appetizers at most places and those would be anywhere from 8-15 Euros, depending on what you got. Venice was a bit more expensive than Rome. If I recall correctly, our meals in Rome were about 60 Euro total for 2 and I typically had a half bottle of wine and my wife would drink a soft drink or water. In Artimino, the dinner that was on our own was a little more than Rome also and probably around 80 Euros for the two of us. In Venice, the dinner that we had was probably about the same price as in Artimino, 80 Euros for 2 of us. Don't forget, there is no tipping necessary in Italy. Was a little strange not tipping, but not necessary.

Since we are discussing food, I have a question about breakfast. I haven't been to Europe but only to Ireland. The breakfast buffets had normal "American" type food as well as Irish favorites. I was just wondering what types of food Italians have for breakfast.

Also, were you 80 euro dinners considered the nice restaurants? If so, that is pretty reasonable.

Since we are discussing food, I have a question about breakfast. I haven't been to Europe but only to Ireland. The breakfast buffets had normal "American" type food as well as Irish favorites. I was just wondering what types of food Italians have for breakfast.

Also, were you 80 euro dinners considered the nice restaurants? If so, that is pretty reasonable.

Breakfasts in Rome was a combination of Italian and American. There were lots of cheese and breads. They also had scrambled eggs, bacon, and very delicious sausage. Lots and lots of different types of bread in each place we stayed. The breakfasts in Venice was similar (not quite the same but similar). Tuscany was a little scaled back. Mostly just breads and pastries, which were wonderful, and cheeses. There was also ham on the buffet in Tuscany.

The 80 Euro dinner in Tuscany was a little fancier. The one in Venice wasn't quite so fancy, but we sat outside. Most restaurants that I saw in Rome and Venice were very casual and had outdoor seating. Not real fancy, but oh so delicious.

Did you itinerary in Venice include some mask making for the kiddos? May I ask where and what shop you did this in? Were the prices for the craft making reasonable? Thank you!

Did you itinerary in Venice include some mask making for the kiddos? May I ask where and what shop you did this in? Were the prices for the craft making reasonable? Thank you!

We did do mask making in Venice. I'm sorry, but I don't know what the name of the place was called. It was set up by ABD as part of our trip so I don't know if the cost of the mask making was expensive or not. As a side note, our trip was an adults only trip and I know the adults enjoyed this and I'm sure the kiddos on the regular trip enjoy it as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter