August W.I.S.H. Challenge - The Sunday of Summer

I would also say Three’s Company and Happy Days....with Three’s Company being my number 1 by far. I never even heard of Soap or The Courtship of Eddie’s Father. I had watched most of the others occasionally.
"The Courtship of Eddie's Father" was cancelled in the early 70's. I watched it occasionally in reruns. You didn't really miss anything on "Soap." It was a satire on soap operas at the time, and although it could be funny, it was mostly annoying, at least to me. It launched Billy Crystal's career.

I think I watched all of them and loved Happy Days, but Mary Tyler Moore was my gal. I really hadn't had any exposure to women having a career outside of the home, other than teachers, and the only thing I knew about living in an apartment was that we weren't allowed to trick-or-treat in apartment buildings because bad people who might grab you lived there. And Rhoda had my dream job of window dresser.. I also loved The Bob Newhart Show because Suzanne Pleshette was such a different and interesting "wife", and the show overall was just soft and fuzzy. Hmmmm... it would be fun and comforting to watch some of the old episodes.

Well, I did the clean-out-your-office thing, and am so glad it's done because it was really weighing on me. Downtown was very surreal, with the businesses in the core area still boarded up even if they were reopened. There were a lot of homeless people wandering around and the city felt really dirty, and reminded me of how much I was hating working there. I thought being in the office would be emotional, but I was moving so quickly to get stuff together that it really didn't sink in. The only thing that made me feel sad was driving home past the baseball stadium and thinking about how much I would love to go to a baseball game. Someday.

Yesterday the neighborhood blog posted that the cat rescue group who I adopted Mike from, who I thought no longer existed because they never come up in any searches, is having an adoption event next weekend! I've emailed them to see if they have any kittens in the age group I'm looking for... might be a sign to adopt from the same group. But also the Ocean Shores rescue will get pictures of those two kitties for me this weekend. Feeling hopeful either way.

I think I watched all of them and loved Happy Days, but Mary Tyler Moore was my gal. I really hadn't had any exposure to women having a career outside of the home, other than teachers, and the only thing I knew about living in an apartment was that we weren't allowed to trick-or-treat in apartment buildings because bad people who might grab you lived there. And Rhoda had my dream job of window dresser.. I also loved The Bob Newhart Show because Suzanne Pleshette was such a different and interesting "wife", and the show overall was just soft and fuzzy. Hmmmm... it would be fun and comforting to watch some of the old episodes.

Well, I did the clean-out-your-office thing, and am so glad it's done because it was really weighing on me. Downtown was very surreal, with the businesses in the core area still boarded up even if they were reopened. There were a lot of homeless people wandering around and the city felt really dirty, and reminded me of how much I was hating working there. I thought being in the office would be emotional, but I was moving so quickly to get stuff together that it really didn't sink in. The only thing that made me feel sad was driving home past the baseball stadium and thinking about how much I would love to go to a baseball game. Someday.

Yesterday the neighborhood blog posted that the cat rescue group who I adopted Mike from, who I thought no longer existed because they never come up in any searches, is having an adoption event next weekend! I've emailed them to see if they have any kittens in the age group I'm looking for... might be a sign to adopt from the same group. But also the Ocean Shores rescue will get pictures of those two kitties for me this weekend. Feeling hopeful either way.
I loved Mary too. She was an excellent role model. Ted annoyed me lol.

I work in the city too, and drive by drug deals as they are occurring, prostitutes, and the homeless. It's pretty depressing, and it was nice not having to go there every day. I look forward to the day I retire and can pack up my personal items. I used to think that I would take a lot with me since I spent so much of my own money creating this classroom, but I don't want or need it. I think I will donate everything to a new teacher starting out when the time comes.

Good luck finding your new kitty.

Onderland!! I made it. Hooray!!!! Now to stay there and move into the next decade, and the next, and the next, etc!!

thankful: I'm thankful that DS2 agreed to stop taking an allergy medication. One of the side effects listed is mood swings, so he wouldn't believe me when I said I thought it was causing his depression. Thursday night he agreed to stop taking it and Friday already felt better. Why don't children listen to their mothers?!

I watched Happy Days the most, but occasionally watched some of the others.

I take my wedding ring off at night, but otherwise wear it when exercising. I did remove it when I was swimming laps.

Our school district is virtual until mid-November. They would prefer teachers teach from home, but can teach in their classroom, using strict social distance rules while in the building (which are still closed). The general feeling among people is that we will be virtual all year. :sad: The district has given guidelines of how long to teach what subject and generally elementary students will receive 1.5 hours of direct instruction each day, four days a week.

I can't handle teaching the twins again. Fortunately their grandmother has agreed to do it. I am sooooo grateful. I'm not sure exactly how everything will work out, but I know somehow it will. Hoping she doesn't burn out as fast as I did. Those two little ones are so very very different from my own! I get so frustrated and angry and have to force myself to remember their environment before we had them and that's why they are the way they are! Then I'm frustrated and angry at their parents! ha ha

I had to laugh this morning. I gave an answer to a question and they didn't really like it. One said, "Hmmm." Sounded exactly like me when I don't like an answer.

Onderland!! I made it. Hooray!!!! Now to stay there and move into the next decade, and the next, and the next, etc!!

thankful: I'm thankful that DS2 agreed to stop taking an allergy medication. One of the side effects listed is mood swings, so he wouldn't believe me when I said I thought it was causing his depression. Thursday night he agreed to stop taking it and Friday already felt better. Why don't children listen to their mothers?!

I watched Happy Days the most, but occasionally watched some of the others.

I take my wedding ring off at night, but otherwise wear it when exercising. I did remove it when I was swimming laps.

Our school district is virtual until mid-November. They would prefer teachers teach from home, but can teach in their classroom, using strict social distance rules while in the building (which are still closed). The general feeling among people is that we will be virtual all year. :sad: The district has given guidelines of how long to teach what subject and generally elementary students will receive 1.5 hours of direct instruction each day, four days a week.

I can't handle teaching the twins again. Fortunately their grandmother has agreed to do it. I am sooooo grateful. I'm not sure exactly how everything will work out, but I know somehow it will. Hoping she doesn't burn out as fast as I did. Those two little ones are so very very different from my own! I get so frustrated and angry and have to force myself to remember their environment before we had them and that's why they are the way they are! Then I'm frustrated and angry at their parents! ha ha

I had to laugh this morning. I gave an answer to a question and they didn't really like it. One said, "Hmmm." Sounded exactly like me when I don't like an answer.
CONGRATULATIONS!!! :woohoo:

I have a ways to go before Onderland, but it is definitely something I'm looking forward to.

Mary Tyler Moore was a favorite-loved her clothes and her apartment. And the cast was funny. Bob Newhart was again different in that it was a married couple, no kids, both worked-very glamorous lives to someone living in a small town in the 70s!

I’ve started with a cup of half-caf, the DIS, and Shark Week on in the background.

i am in a unnecessary pattern of waking up very early right now. But I’m making the best of it by enjoying the uninterrupted “whole first floor to myself” time.
Since the pandemic started, I have woken up without an alarm. During school, I was still up in time to teach, usually around 8:00 am. Then this summer, I have slept in as late as 10 am. It’s been a lovely gift to myself. Lately, I’ve been waking up earlier to adjust to going back to school. I hate getting up this early, but in 10 days, it will be 5:45 am to an alarm. 7 am without an alarm really isn’t that bad compared to 5:45 am with an alarm.

Last edited:
View attachment 518883
How will you take care of yourself today?
It is a cloudy/rainy day with the temps only going up to 73. A nice break after a week of high 80's - low 90's. So, my self-care is to relax in front of the television.popcorn::📺

I just put away groceries, and I still have to do laundry, but no plans to tackle any projects even though I have quite the list.

The list can wait until tomorrow.:wave2:

Feels like fall here as well.
I might mask up and go to Macy’s to buy sheets. It’s a nice drive and it wasn’t a busy place pre Covid, so I will enjoy poking around. Normally my daughter would join me but they got home Friday from their Disney trip and are in quarantine. But right now I’m sitting on the deck enjoying a Diet Coke and thinking about a grocery list.
Have a relaxing day, everyone!

It is hotter than hot here today, going to get to the high 90's in the city and even up to 100+ in other areas. Too hot to even move. It's currently 2:15pm and the house is already like an oven and is just going to get hotter as the day goes on. I did my Sunday drive early, but am thinking driving around with the window down might be the only option for cooling off. Or I could sit right in front of the fan and do some reading. Grumble, grumble, grumble.

I decided I'd try and watch the first episode of Mary Tyler Moore and of Bob Newhart... could only find episode 2 of Mary. Her apartment and clothes are still cute, but as I suspected Rhoda was not at all chubby, event tho that was a running joke. The first episode of Bob was really good, the writing was crisp and the comedic timing of the players was spot on. I think I'll watch more of them. Sitting in front of the fan...

my self care today was doing as little as possible! yesterday it was 100 and today 92 with that expected again tomorrow. we do not have air conditioning. i just sat in front of the fan all day. fortunately the twins played at the neighbors most of the day, from 9 AM to 6 PM! they came home for potty breaks and food breaks!

I did go grocery shopping and when i was home realized a meal i was planning to serve to brother/sister in law i had already served them! i'll be rethinking that menu!! it's not until thursday so i have time!

i have to go into work in the morning, but may just work from home in the afternoon. work doesn't have air conditioning, either!!

have a good week! we're half way through the month already!! yikes

I forgot to post yesterday since it was our checkout day and we had the 8 hour drive home. Then the unpacking and picking up the dog. But I did try to relax in the car. Since the kids are now driving some, I sat in the back and watched a movie (Hitch). I also started making some school lists. Thinking about school stresses me out. But making lists is a stress-reliever! I listed the things I would want them to have in a pencil box. And I listed the things I would want them to have in their desk. Then I listed the daily activities that I thought we could do synchronously (live students and virtual students through a Google Meet). Lastly I listed the activities I would want them to do online. It’s not a perfect plan, it’s not even a complete plan. But it helped me get started and into school mode (which I’ve honestly been avoiding).

I am inspired this morning by a neighbor of ours, who embraced working from home during all this and replaced his former commuting time with jogging. He goes by every morning while I’m walking the cat, and has made so much progress! I can see it in his pace, and his confidence, and I am happy to know people who “make lemonade out of life’s lemons”.

I have rather stalled in my own exercise routine. - I’m still doing it, but not pushing myself like I was earlier. So I am going to follow his lead and up my efforts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter