As DVC owners do you think we should get perks

You're omitting the devaluation of the dollar due to inflation over the years. 10 years ago, if someone bought at $68/point, for example, that would be the same as paying about $92/point today. There are numerous resale contract that can be purchased for less than $92/point.

Isn't the whole theory kind of moot? The purchase price of a resale is paid to the owner, not Disney, so they are deriving no direct monetary benefit from a resale.

Are you saying you can use a MYW ticket from WDW in the DL parks?

We go every 18 months or so for 6-8 nights each trip - with 3 or 4 days in the parks on each visit- so we do not get APs- I would LOVE to see a discount on regular park tix. Maybe someday- I will keep hoping.

You may use MYW Parkhopper tix that have the non-expiration option.:thumbsup2

Bit of a hassle that you must stop @ DLs guest services each am & a phone call must be placed to Tix Research Dept. @ WDW (evidently their computers aren't on speaking terms lol). The day is removed from your MYW tix and you're good to go. Unfortunately, you must do this EACH day of a multi-day stay.

I have confirmed this with DL a few weeks ago, something they've been offering for years...reason I was given is the fact that WDW tix cost more than DL ones do.

On the DL Boards posters have insisted they've been able to use non-PH tix, but i'd be leery since I spoke directly to a supervisor who said they will not honor them.

We're only doing MYW tix this June (since we'll be spending 4 days @ RPR-Universal); then a cruise in Dec. (no WDW:sad1: ) and DL next June. The MYW tix will provide a savings.

Now, if we could only get a discount on them;) .

You're omitting the devaluation of the dollar due to inflation over the years. 10 years ago, if someone bought at $68/point, for example, that would be the same as paying about $92/point today. There are numerous resale contract that can be purchased for less than $92/point.

IMO, factoring in the inflation rate is a moot point. :confused3Especially since original owners have had the "interest" or usage of said property over the years...it's a win, win for you. Sitting on an investment that has appreciated greatly; pat yourself on the back - but why begrudge the same member percs to others -- very un-neighborly. Quick Muffy, lock the pool gate; the minimum point members are coming.:rotfl:

As long as the very minimal contracts are out there on the market (which I don't expect to continue anyway - believe DVC will be more inclined to ROFR in the future); savy buyers will snap them up and add-on to suit their needs. Congrats to those who were able to buy in back in the beginning but; if the gauntlet is being thrown down as to $'s spent - smaller contracts can match or exceed your purchase price.

If you watch the resale market for small contracts (less than 30 points), especially @ certain popular resorts that folk tend to switch ressies to @ the 7 month mark...you'll find that they sell in excess of the amount you reference; despite additional closing costs.

Congrats to you senior members of the firm:thumbsup2 wish I was savy enough/financially able to buy in then too. However, if you throw the gauntlet down as to a caste system as to # of points owned; you're going to hear the reverse argument from those who may have paid more for point than you did.

FYI, i've discussed the market with other agents and the general consensus is that the sky could be the limit if seller is willing to 'challenge the market' for a small, premium contract.

But hey, no other timeshare offers such things (ok, now someone will point out that I'm wrong and that they indeed to), so its not an expectation, just a thought.

I doubt other timeshares offer discounts on Disney tickets of the magnitude you are proposing. However if you are speaking in general non disney terms then I will gleefully point out you are wrong. Other timeshares do offer perqs appropriate to their locations....and many of them offer them to people trading in! For example I exchanged to the Trapp lodge & my guests made off with my purse (inadvertantly). So for a few days I was without cash...and my car...I only had the charging privileges on my room and the perqs that came with the trade...including cross country ski passes. In another instance I got visitation privileges to the member only lounge.

I doubt other timeshares offer discounts on Disney tickets of the magnitude you are proposing. However if you are speaking in general non disney terms then I will gleefully point out you are wrong. Other timeshares do offer perqs appropriate to their locations....and many of them offer them to people trading in! For example I exchanged to the Trapp lodge & my guests made off with my purse (inadvertantly). So for a few days I was without cash...and my car...I only had the charging privileges on my room and the perqs that came with the trade...including cross country ski passes. In another instance I got visitation privileges to the member only lounge.
Some offer perks to all, some only to owners, others not at all. The Marriott's on HH offer a list of discounts that fully covers the front and back of a letter size paper and they are for ALL guests. The DVC discount list for HH is much smaller but still helpful non the less. The best thing is one can get either even if not staying at the resort and in many cases, they can be additive to other discounts including coupons and early birds. Many timeshares also offer day use which can be a large perk for some if you live in the area. For the right person, this is a much larger perk that any discount available.

I do not find that to be greedy in the slightest. If I go to the movies I pay to see one film, not all of them, and I am not allowed to bounce from theater to theater to see other films...doing so would probably get me kicked out and possibly banned from returning. ... To me the ability to pay (or not) for a hopper option is hardly greedy and quite the opposite.
Good point, but even deeper than that, tickets, like just about everything else, are priced based on value. Clearly, park hopping greatly adds to the value we derive from our admission tickets. If anything, Disney has undervalued park hopping, IMHO, and should charge more for it.

Good point, but even deeper than that, tickets, like just about everything else, are priced based on value. Clearly, park hopping greatly adds to the value we derive from our admission tickets. If anything, Disney has undervalued park hopping, IMHO, and should charge more for it.

While it's true I might buy an AP (or in my case a PAP) based upon the "value" I preceive is placed against it, APs (and all tickets) are priced based on revenue.

Marketing departments are in business to get me to preceive value of, say, hopping. I further preceive the value to be priced just fine too...there is no need to try to get me to pay more into their revenue stream...

While I don't believe being a DVC member entitles me to perks, I'm thankful for the discount provided for APs (PAPs).

While it's true I might buy an AP (or in my case a PAP) based upon the "value" I preceive is placed against it, APs (and all tickets) are priced based on revenue.
Sorry, but what are you trying to say here? Pricing drives revenue; it's not based on revenue. Depending on the marketplace, pricing is always either based on value, or based on value and cost.

Marketing departments are in business to get me to preceive value of, say, hopping. I further preceive the value to be priced just fine too...there is no need to try to get me to pay more into their revenue stream...
Corporations are required by law to act in the best long-term financial interests of their owners. So indeed they need to reflect all aspects of value in the pricing, to the extend that doing so benefits the long-term financial interests of their owners.

Perhaps it is the dollar amount... if you're willing to pay at least $400 then it is worth offering a discount...

agree, perhaps incentive drivenm to get the more casual visitor back in the parks via a spur-of-the-moment trip, perhaps an add-on to cover accommodatons - crafty bunch of 'marketeers' they employ.:thumbsup2

so, why not a flat discount on all media:confused3 would be more inclusive and enable more members to particiate (those who don't necessarily need the APs each year for example)? If you want to visit DL the tix disc is negligible; and since they're pushing DVC out west...would think it would be a great tie in. Especially since you can use the no expir. MYW PH there too.

regardless, assume they have their reasons for designating APs only -- any perc is a big reward.:thumbsup2

DVC doesn't just decide to give ticket discounts (or any discounts). They have to be negotiated with the other divisions of the company. They surveyed the members and an AP discount was the most requested. Members on this board were asking for it for years and I was at an annual meeting in 2000 where it was brought up. Before that, it was a 10% discount on the old length of stay pass. When the length of stay pass was discontinued, DVC was able to negotiate the AP discount. The $100 discount was far more than most members expected.

Perhaps it is the dollar amount... if you're willing to pay at least $400 then it is worth offering a discount...
I disagree- A 10 day no exp hopper plus is around $450 I think- and there is no discount.
I think Disney feels it is in their interest to encourage the AP purchase- it will lead people to plan more frequent trips (multiple trips within 12 months), longer trips, and more days in the parks on these trips. Less days by the pool dinner in the room type days for AP holders.
No exp. ticket holders, on the other hand, have an incentive to conserve their days and possibly plan offsite activities (SeaWorld, nearby beaches) to prolong their tickets, and have a few non-park days on each visit.

I think they make back that $100 and then some on those AP ticket purchases. It might be harder for them to justify that discount on the no exp tickets.- (but I still hope for a discount on those tickets someday)

I don't think we know how DVC or Disney arrives at these decisions. We can make educated guesses and no more. My guess is DVC puts out feelers to the various components and they respond with what they would like to offer. I'm sure most of the decisions are made based on ultimate revenue but there are related factors. Some choices may be aimed at keeping members on property or in the parks more spending more money in other areas and/or in balancing out usage to a degree. IF the members are clamoring for something specific like the DDP, DVC likely puts more efforts in petitioning for that option.

Sorry, but what are you trying to say here? Pricing drives revenue; it's not based on revenue. Depending on the marketplace, pricing is always either based on value, or based on value and cost.

Corporations are required by law to act in the best long-term financial interests of their owners. So indeed they need to reflect all aspects of value in the pricing, to the extend that doing so benefits the long-term financial interests of their owners.

As you've stated, corporations answer to their shareholders. As such pricing is always based upon revenue expectations, which in the long-run drives return-on-investment for shareholders. This is true even with any marketing strategy involving discounts.

Depending on what marketplace? We are speaking about WDW, afterall. Since when is WDW worried about market pressure. While it's true other themeparks are present, do you really believe they command such a presence in the Orlando marketplace to make WDW look over its collective shoulder?

Pricing is not focused upon "value", it is always focused upon revenue.

However in focusing on this small point, you're missing the main point of my response to your post. The "value" I preceive in the price of PAP is good, just as it is. If you want to pay more for "hopping", be my guest. (The value of my stock shares will thank you.) However for me personally, I feel I'm paying enough for the priviledge.

The price is well set, providing a discount incentive for members, while providing sufficient revenue for the company.

We used the PAP once, but that was an unusual year for us. We ended up spending about 20 days at WDW. Normally we are lucky if we get 7 or 8 days in. Now with airfares soaring, I don't seem multiple trips in a year any time soon. So while the PAP discount is pretty good, it is one I have no way of making use of. Like most I didn't buy points with the thought of benefits more than that realized by ownership, but DVC opened the door by offering any percs at all IMO, now they have set an expectation by most of its members that may be difficult to maintain.

A 10 day no exp hopper is $277. An annual pass is $361.
A 10 day no. exp hopper plus is $449 on Disney's website- that is before tax. A 10 day no exp hopper (non plus) is $409 before tax. If you can tell me where I can buy them for $277 please let me know- you will be saving my family about $1000!

Thanks Keisha- that is where I bought my last tickets- through the mousesavers newsletter link. It adds up when you are buying tickets for 7 people.

facebook twitter