Anyone Use A Friend's TimeShare?

StinkerbellsMom

DIS Student & Worshiper
Namely, a Westgate Time Share. We are scheduled to go to CSR for Easter, but dh came home and told me
that a friend of his has a time share that they are not using this year (and haven't in a while) in Kissimmee.
It is one of the Westgate Properties (not sure yet which - should have details by tomorrow). I am just
curious how this would work if we are using his "time". Do we have to sit through a sales pitch? Is it even
legal for us to use it? I am not familiar with the whole Time Share thing at all and would love to hear any insight
any of you have regarding 'borrowing' a Time Share. Thanks!

I really don't want to give up our CSR, but financially, we may have to because sudden onset of medical
bills is making things a bit tighter than we had hoped.

Your friend can rent or give their timeshare to whoever they wish. No sales pitch required. Sometimes there is a small fee with some timeshares for putting a reservation in someone else's name. You will have to leave a credit card for your incidental charges, but there will be no charge for the lodging. If you pay your friend that is between the two of you. You need to find out if they can reserve the week that you want.

You will be hounded to attend a sales pitch. They will offer you cash or tickets, etc. Westgate is one of the highest pressure pitches so plan accordingly if you attend.

I own 6 timeshare weeks and have given away weeks several times. No, you won't have to sit through a presentation. Your friend will just notify the resort that you will be checking in. It's not a big deal!

westgate hounds everyone.

just make the appointment for your 'maintence meeting' (sales pitch) - for the last day of your stay - try for around lunch time - then be sure and LEAVE before then..... :goodvibes

westgate uses threat, lies, and hasslement to get to sign up for these things....

so just do it - but make it when you know you will be gone.....

see if you can trade it to another Orlando timeshare. I did last year.

you can trade it if your friend has another timeshare with II elsewhere (not in Orlando).

if he doesn't or is not a member of II - then you have to use the Westgate.

oh make sure he knows you will pay the exchange fee for the trade (if necessary).

We have rented our Westgate unit to several friends. We actually just rented our 2006 week on Monday to one of DH's co-workers. The only problem we have ever had was when the charge on the credit card didn't go through (they had the expiration date 1 month off) and they didn't bother to call and tell us. I will admit we should have paid more attention to it not being charged on the card, but when our friends called us Westgate actually worked w/ us and got it straighted right out.

Only 1 has had to go through the tour and that was b/c we sent them as a referal.

LOL about scheduling the 'maintenance meeting' for departure day!! LOL :rotfl2:
I am not sure if we will be doing the Westgate thing or not (I was kind of looking fwd to CSR!). But at
this point, any way that I can get down to see the Mouse is better than nothing!! Just found out its
the Villas and our friend is seeing if the week we want is available. Mixed emotions on whether I want
him to be successful or not! ;) Guess we will find out soon enough ... Thanks again for all the input!!! :thumbsup2
I am really not interested in sitting through a sales pitch, but am desperate to get back to the World!!!!!!!

You don't need to sit through a sales pitch. They do try to get you to attend a "maintenance meeting". Just tell them no. You have no time. Ask them if they want to do it when they show you to your room.

We own a one bedroom at the Villas. The pools are not fancy pools with waterfalls etc. but there are 10-12 nice size pools (I forget how many) and a small lake where you can take out peddle boats. They have a great welcome party with hot hors d'oeuvers and music on the weekend, lots of activities throughout the week. MOst of the units have whirlpools in the master bath. The units are typically nicely furnished and decorated. It's a fun place and very convenient to WDW. It's true that the salespeople have a well deserved reputation but they won't bother you if you tell them your friend will sell you their unit resale for $3000, or if they think you don't "qualify" financially. Maybe you could tell them you just got laid off! As long as they think you are not a "live one" they won't want to waste their time on you.

The "laid off" does work. True story, we were in Hawaii sitting in a hottub and timeshare salesman makes his pitch. DH tells him he is unemployed, which was true, salesman just got up and left. Don't know if he believed him or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter