Anyone shopping for prom yet?

Yeah as soon as DD got hers she showed a picture to every girl she could. We felt good knowing it was the only one of its kind in store that day, and every time we went to the mall after, we didn't see any more in stock. And it wasn't duplicated. I have seen a few listed from other towns on the FB swaps though.

There is more risk of duplication with a Dillard's dress because they don't register them and they carry a smaller variety of dresses in many sizes rather than like a specialty shop that has a random assortment of individual dresses.

I get antsy about getting the dresses bought too. If we decide we need to order online, we need to get it here sooner than later in case it needs to be returned or altered. I obsess over looking for dresses more than the girls do but I have fun doing it!
Here there are Instagram groups for 6th and 8th grades dances, formal and prom. I know several girls who had to buy another dress because they didn't check first, getting stuck with a dress that wasn't returnable.

My daughter has part of her dress for her senior prom. She loved the skirt part of a dress she found on etsy. She asked about getting just the skirt and was told they could do that. So got to pick from a ton of colors. It's already arrived and fits perfectly.

Now we need to find a top. Anyone with ideas of where to find a dressy fitted xxs top please,let me know.

We went looking last week for DD's. She found one that she loved. I only wanted to spend about $350, yup with luxury tax (clothes over like $75 she told me), this one was $438. :crazy2: Alterations should be reasonable as she needs a few tucks and a hem. We ordered 4 pairs of shoes from JCPenney - she will pick one pair and I will return the rest, those are about $35. She has a purse and jewelry and hairpins from last year. We will have to buy a necklace as last years dress (Boyfriends prom) was high neck, this year is v neck, but that will only be about $15. She already has hair booked (free, one of her best friends mom, so we will give her a good tip) and as we speak is getting makeup booked (probably around $70). So I guess we are just about done! lol :yay:

Good luck to everyone looking!!

My daughter has part of her dress for her senior prom. She loved the skirt part of a dress she found on etsy. She asked about getting just the skirt and was told they could do that. So got to pick from a ton of colors. It's already arrived and fits perfectly.

Now we need to find a top. Anyone with ideas of where to find a dressy fitted xxs top please,let me know.

We thought about this- having one of the grandmas make a full satin skirt, and possibly using her sister's black top from her two piece dress last year. It was a size 1 (runs more like a 3) and it was gapping at the armholes so that was a no go. I looked for other tops a little bit before we abandoned that idea. You might look at Younkers or Kohls or JCPenney for clearance two piece dresses that you can just use the top from.

Or maybe she has a friend who had a two piece dress she could borrow the top from?

Here there are Instagram groups for 6th and 8th grades dances, formal and prom. I know several girls who had to buy another dress because they didn't check first, getting stuck with a dress that wasn't returnable.

That's kind of sad so I don't know what I think about these groups. I guess they should have checked, if they were part of the group or aware of it and able to have an account, but I'm not sure I would buy a second dress if the first was not returnable. There were two dresses at prom last year that were super similar if not identical but I don't think anybody freaked out. DD's junior year homecoming dress came from China via Amazon and wouldn't you know it, was the only dress that was duplicated. But it was okay.

We went looking last week for DD's. She found one that she loved. I only wanted to spend about $350, yup with luxury tax (clothes over like $75 she told me), this one was $438. :crazy2: Alterations should be reasonable as she needs a few tucks and a hem. We ordered 4 pairs of shoes from JCPenney - she will pick one pair and I will return the rest, those are about $35. She has a purse and jewelry and hairpins from last year. We will have to buy a necklace as last years dress (Boyfriends prom) was high neck, this year is v neck, but that will only be about $15. She already has hair booked (free, one of her best friends mom, so we will give her a good tip) and as we speak is getting makeup booked (probably around $70). So I guess we are just about done! lol :yay:

Good luck to everyone looking!!
$438?

I second the Goodwill suggestion. My kids aren't prom age yet, but I have to go to a lot of black-tie events for work. I find tons of nice, newer, in-fashion dresses at our local Goodwill stores. It's not a big deal to have dresses tailored to fit perfectly when you only paid $9.99 for them!

My daughter was nominated to the Homecoming Court this past Fall. She had a spectacular dress if I do say so myself. So many people complimented her (and me). Guess where we got it? I think Good Will knew is was top notch too, because they marked it up to $15:rotfl2:Once again, dry cleaned and tailored to fit her perfectly. You can't beat it!

Seriously, our Good Will Industries is absolutely amazing. I know some areas stink for Good Will. But we are so lucky.

:scared:

I hope their parents explain to them that they are not a Kardashian and they will be wearing the dress that they originally chose.

So happy for the level headed daughter that I have. She would most likely walk up to the girl who had the same dress, flash the thumb's up and say "Hey! You have great taste!". And then she would move on and enjoy her evening. I would imagine most of the girls she hangs out with would do the same.

I actually bought my daughter her prom dress in October. I wasn't looking for a prom dress but I was with my daughter and we were walking through The Bay and they had this Vera Wang dress that was regularly $600 marked down to $99 and she loved it so I bought it.

I'm sitting in Von Maur as I type waiting as DD12 tries on dresses for her Snowflake Dance (7th/8th formal dance) tomorrow night.

The dress she wanted to try on is a semi-formal short dress. It's on Clearance for $52. I'm praying she likes it!

There are a TON of prom dresses here too. They seem relatively reasonably priced. And they are very pretty!

We are going to start shopping this weekend. DD is tiny and she thinks that she looks like a box in everything she tries on no to mention she is Uber picky. She is very sensible when it comes to cost so I don't expect that to be much of an issue.

Last edited:
Hmmm, DH wants to go to his parents this weekend which would put us in range of the dress on swap but she's leaning toward the one on promgirl so we don't know whether to go try it on or not. Hate to make her bring it somewhere if we're not too serious.

This is her "ideal but too expensive" dress (navy):
http://www.newyorkdress.com/Angela_and_Alison/61115ANA.html

This is the swap dress (maybe too bright blue, and has chiffon skirt instead of satin, and possibly too much sheerness down center of top), but have the opportunity to try before we buy:
http://www.newyorkdress.com/Tiffany/16076TF.html

This is the current frontrunner on promgirl. Up close the bodice is very princessy and the back is cool. But would have a restock fee if it doesn't work out:
https://www.promgirl.com/shop/dresses/viewitem-PD1596658?keywords=vt-vt2076

Attachments

• dress1.jpg
    dress1.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 5
  • dress2.png
    dress2.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 5
  • dress3.png
    dress3.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

I know and I thought telling my dd I'd go to $200 was generous.

She got her junior prom dress last year at Macy's for $60, on sale. It really could have been a senior prom dress as it was much fancier than most other girls were wearing. She loved it though and has never cared about wearing what others wear.

:scared:

I hope their parents explain to them that they are not a Kardashian and they will be wearing the dress that they originally chose.

So happy for the level headed daughter that I have. She would most likely walk up to the girl who had the same dress, flash the thumb's up and say "Hey! You have great taste!". And then she would move on and enjoy her evening. I would imagine most of the girls she hangs out with would do the same.
It's not always so easy. My friend's daughter posted her dress, not realizing someone else already posted the same dress. The backlash was unreal (from a lot of girls). It's not always that easy to just wear the dress.

I'm sitting in Von Maur as I type waiting as DD12 tries on dresses for her Snowflake Dance (7th/8th formal dance) tomorrow night.

The dress she wanted to try on is a semi-formal short dress. It's on Clearance for $52. I'm praying she likes it!

There are a TON of prom dresses here too. They seem relatively reasonably priced. And they are very pretty!

Did she get the dress?

I have two going to prom this year. A boy with a crush on DD17 asked her to go with him last night, and she said no because she does not like him - not even as friends. Ugh! But both DDs are on prom committee, so they will be going with or without dates.

DD16 went to prom last year with a friend and borrowed a dress. She thinks that since we didn't spend much last year, we will spend a lot more this year. I can't believe what she thinks should be spent on a dress. I guess we need to have a budget meeting, and she needs to be prepared to contribute.

I have been looking at a lot of the sites suggested here. Thank you. I think we need to go and have them try on some dresses in several different styles to see what they like, and then think about ordering on line since we do not live in an area with many formal wear choices.

Who knows when we will have time to do this between all of their activities!

Good luck!

She thinks that since we didn't spend much last year, we will spend a lot more this year. I can't believe what she thinks should be spent on a dress. I guess we need to have a budget meeting, and she needs to be prepared to contribute.

LOL, I laughed right out loud at that! Such a teen thinking pattern.

We end up handling a lot of things like that though. We come up with what we think is reasonable and she contributes if she wants to go over that amount. It backfired on my for court warming though. She found such a deal on a dress I'm now forking over the extra for some new makeup. :)

Did she get the dress?

haha, no, she went in for the bottom one, but ultimately chose the top one. it's really pretty:

upload_2017-1-27_8-14-24.png

upload_2017-1-27_8-14-37.png

The best advice I can ever give a mom is - bring a friend with you and your daughter when they go dress or bathing suit shopping. DD won't even let me in the same room with her when she is changing but she let her BFF help her pick out dresses, go in the room and try them on/zip them, and was only interested in BFF's opinion, not mine. lol Fine by me....no tears at all last night! And I got to sit outside the dressing room and catch up on emails.

haha, no, she went in for the bottom one, but ultimately chose the top one. it's really pretty:

View attachment 217420

View attachment 217421

The best advice I can ever give a mom is - bring a friend with you and your daughter when they go dress or bathing suit shopping. DD won't even let me in the same room with her when she is changing but she let her BFF help her pick out dresses, go in the room and try them on/zip them, and was only interested in BFF's opinion, not mine. lol Fine by me....no tears at all last night! And I got to sit outside the dressing room and catch up on emails.

That's a great suggestion. My daughter sort of did that, but her friends came along remotely.

I was DISing outside changing rooms for quite a while on Tuesday. I couldn't believe I almost forgot to bring my phone (ran back in the house to get it last minute). That would have been WAY too much thumb twiddling.

That's a great suggestion. My daughter sort of did that, but her friends came along remotely.

I was DISing outside changing rooms for quite a while on Tuesday. I couldn't believe I almost forgot to bring my phone (ran back in the house to get it last minute). That would have been WAY too much thumb twiddling.
Dd20 would shop with a friend, I was remote. I still have PTSD from shopping for her communion dress when she was 8.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter