Anyone shopping for prom yet?

DD15 who is 5'1" is thinking flats for comfort. Her dress is a deep blue with multicolor stones so I'm not sure what color. She thinks black.

Last year DD18 wore flat sandals that were comfortable and she used them for everyday afterwards. She is 5'7" and thinking a low heel for this year. It won't take much to make her taller than her date, so she's going to try to keep from being taller. Also it's track season so she cannot roll an ankle or get a blister. She's never worn heels and has rather knobby feet so I'm not sure what she will find comfortable.

My daughter got her gown today. Only thing I'm not happy with is that they don't do alterations there. Guess I'll see who in my neighborhood would do it. I'm guessing my local dry cleaners?

Maybe they could at least point you to someone who can do it. Yay for finding something!

I'm grateful my mom can do alterations. DD15's will need shortened a bit, and we hope to use some fabric from the hemming to fill in a sheer slit in the top that DD would rather not be sheer. The previous wearer was 5'2", so there won't be much to take off the bottom.

So what styles are you finding? DD18's is all silver at the top, with a full aqua skirt that the silver trails onto. Corset back, strapless style but with optional straps included (yay). Very Queen Elsa. She is into aqua and gray- her whole dorm room will be this scheme, so it's fitting. I think a gray tuxedo on her date will look nice.

DD15's is a deep teal 2 piece with a partially sheer cap sleeve top with lots of jewels. Flowy satin skirt with chiffon layer on top. She was set on navy and thought this one looked too bright in the pictures but in person it was so pretty.

DD18 is a little concerned that the light colored dress won't be good with her pale skin. I think it will be fine- but has anyone had experience with spray tanning on a very light skinned strawberry blonde with freckles type? I'm thinking she may end up looking unnatural.

Maybe they could at least point you to someone who can do it. Yay for finding something!

I'm grateful my mom can do alterations. DD15's will need shortened a bit, and we hope to use some fabric from the hemming to fill in a sheer slit in the top that DD would rather not be sheer. The previous wearer was 5'2", so there won't be much to take off the bottom.

So what styles are you finding? DD18's is all silver at the top, with a full aqua skirt that the silver trails onto. Corset back, strapless style but with optional straps included (yay). Very Queen Elsa. She is into aqua and gray- her whole dorm room will be this scheme, so it's fitting. I think a gray tuxedo on her date will look nice.

DD15's is a deep teal 2 piece with a partially sheer cap sleeve top with lots of jewels. Flowy satin skirt with chiffon layer on top. She was set on navy and thought this one looked too bright in the pictures but in person it was so pretty.

DD18 is a little concerned that the light colored dress won't be good with her pale skin. I think it will be fine- but has anyone had experience with spray tanning on a very light skinned strawberry blonde with freckles type? I'm thinking she may end up looking unnatural.

They told me a place did alterations a few doors down from them but they are pretty far from my house so we decided to just buy the dress and get it done around home. My daughter is only 5'3" so she will need a lot hemmed. Other than that it fit pretty good.

She got the one color she didn't want - navy. It looked really good on her and there were alot of jewels I guess you'd call it. My daughter really only wanted a gown that wasn't "poofy" at the bottom and she didn't want strapless. Originally she liked a white and gold gown but I don't think it looked the greatest as she is super light skinned and doesn't want to do the spray tan. Not sure what her date will wear. Two years ago tuxes were still in around here so I told my daughter to see if that's what guys are still wearing these days.

Thanks to the recommendations upthread, we went to Group USA today, and we are done! I think DD tried on about 20 dresses, and settled on this one: https://www.camillelavie.com/dress/two-piece-ombre-lace_24262-2wck014
24262_2wck014_white_front.jpg

It's not what I would have picked for myself, and I would have loved for her to pick this one which almost made the cut, but she really wanted a short dress: https://www.camillelavie.com/dress/illusion-waist-tulle-dress_23250-57084
23250_57084_0.jpg

We picked up shoes today, too. Now just an accessory or two, and we are set. I'm glad it's over for this year. Their formal is in mid-March, so she's going to be cold! Thanks for all your help, fellow Disser's!

Cute! I really like that long one too. Nearly everyone here wears a long dress.

DD18 looked at shoes at JCPenney today. There was a pair on clearance which were pretty good, but she wants something with a strap to keep it on because the heel did slip off a couple times. She really likes a pair on their website, and she tried on the same brand and knows she fits a 7, but I don't know if we'll try ordering. Her sister needs to look for shoes too, so we'll probably try more stores first sometime.

DD18 will probably get a necklace on eBay. We're looking at AB rhinestone ones that have that iridescent color.

Cute! I really like that long one too. Nearly everyone here wears a long dress.

DD18 looked at shoes at JCPenney today. There was a pair on clearance which were pretty good, but she wants something with a strap to keep it on because the heel did slip off a couple times. She really likes a pair on their website, and she tried on the same brand and knows she fits a 7, but I don't know if we'll try ordering. Her sister needs to look for shoes too, so we'll probably try more stores first sometime.

DD18 will probably get a necklace on eBay. We're looking at AB rhinestone ones that have that iridescent color.

Almost everyone here wears long, too, but DD just doesn't care about what everyone else is doing :rolleyes1 This dress seems a little more homecoming to me, but she's happy, so I guess we'll just roll with it.
We got these shoes at Famous Footwear:
shoes_ib52102.jpg
Touch of Nina Fynlie. They come in gold and silver. She liked the small and clear heel.

Good luck with your search!

Hi. Just wondering if anyone here or your children has been shopping for prom - mainly prom gowns? We just started a few days ago and pretty much hit up all the stores I could think of. Saw a few that we liked in a bridal store but they were very pricey. Saw a few in David's Bridal that my daughter liked but didn't love but they were much more affordable. As of now we're avoiding buying online from "prom type" stores because my daughter knows people that have had problems. I'm also curious as to what alterations cost because so far it's not included with the price of the gowns. This was so much easier when my son had prom!

My daughters sweet 16 gown the alterations were 100.00 so I am figuring the same for her prom gown.

It's not always so easy. My friend's daughter posted her dress, not realizing someone else already posted the same dress. The backlash was unreal (from a lot of girls). It's not always that easy to just wear the dress.

OMG- kids started posting their dresses in Sept here for prom, this way no one got the same one. You cant even get the same dress in a different color or there is backlash! My daughter found a gown she liked but the color she wanted they only had a 10 and there is no way to reduce a dress that size to hers so I went online and found it in a 2 and she really needs a 00/0 so we have to get it taken in and up.

Ugh $100 for alterations. I think we just need the length done but it's alot of length to get rid of - no idea if that costs more or not. I think the rest of the dress fits good so I'd be happy if that's all she needs. We spent more on the dress than I had wanted but I think she has a pair of shoes and a handbag that she is going to re-use so I feel I'm already saving. Plus with this gown she won't need a necklace either.

My daughter got her gown today. Only thing I'm not happy with is that they don't do alterations there. Guess I'll see who in my neighborhood would do it. I'm guessing my local dry cleaners?

Check your area for a seamstress or tailor, they will do alterations on prom gowns.
My dd needed hers hemmed and some bead work and a strap fixed and I don't think we spent more than $50 total.

Check your area for a seamstress or tailor, they will do alterations on prom gowns.
My dd needed hers hemmed and some bead work and a strap fixed and I don't think we spent more than $50 total.
That's good to know. Oh and we need to get three beads tightened. They were going to do it there but it's not near home so I didn't want to make another trip so they took a % off the gown.

My daughters sweet 16 gown the alterations were 100.00 so I am figuring the same for her prom gown.

OMG- kids started posting their dresses in Sept here for prom, this way no one got the same one. You cant even get the same dress in a different color or there is backlash! My daughter found a gown she liked but the color she wanted they only had a 10 and there is no way to reduce a dress that size to hers so I went online and found it in a 2 and she really needs a 00/0 so we have to get it taken in and up.
Lol we just went though this for sweet 16 court. Dd was down to 5 dresses, but 2 had already been posted. She ended up in her friend's xs cast off (which was fine).

DGDD used Rent the Runway for a College Senior Prom that she wanted knock some eyes out. I think she succeeded. They send two dresses, just alike, in case there is a size problem.

DD has found a dress she LOVES online. She wants to buy it RIGHT NOW. It is $260; she is not sure what size she takes, and who knows what it will look like on her. There is a 10% restocking fee for returns, and we'd have to pay shipping to ship it back. She is super mad at me because I asked her to look at/try on dresses in our town before we order one online.

ETA: This is the dress she wants. She said she is going for mature and elegant this year. I am just not sure how flattering that neckline is.
https://www.promgirl.com/shop/dresses/viewitem-PD1632856

That dress is GORGEOUS! Your daughter:thumbsup2 has great taste

DGDD used Rent the Runway for a College Senior Prom that she wanted knock some eyes out. I think she succeeded. They send two dresses, just alike, in case there is a size problem.

They have proms in college? I've never heard of that.

We checked out rent the runway but for what my dd was looking for we could pay a little more and own the dress.

We just bought my dd this weekend at Group USA. I said if we found it while we were out shopping, we were buying it. Lucky for me it wasn't horribly expensive and it does need to be altered but it is totally her. We also sold her prom dress from last year on a swap site last night and her long homecoming formal from this past fall. Selling those paid for this prom dress! That makes me a happy mom!

We just bought my dd this weekend at Group USA. I said if we found it while we were out shopping, we were buying it. Lucky for me it wasn't horribly expensive and it does need to be altered but it is totally her. We also sold her prom dress from last year on a swap site last night and her long homecoming formal from this past fall. Selling those paid for this prom dress! That makes me a happy mom!
Did you happen to know if they have a good amount of small dresses? Dd14 needs a xs/xs/00 dress for the 8th grade dance. The last time I was there was with dd15 two years ago, and there was nothing her size.

Did you happen to know if they have a good amount of small dresses? Dd14 needs a xs/xs/00 dress for the 8th grade dance. The last time I was there was with dd15 two years ago, and there was nothing her size.

There were a lot of sized 0 dresses I thought. I think you will have good luck :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter