Another lovely day in Oklahoma. . .

ALDIOS to leebee, Just wondering how you are?

I'm here, and thanks for thinking of me. Jane, WONDERFUL news about the biopsy and so glad you didn't have to wait the full 2 weeks. Definitely a happy Thanksgiving for you this year!

It's been a trying fall. Without going into all details (and I may have previously), DD27 moved back to our area in March. Married bliss was not, and they decided to live apart for awhile. Then Covid hit, DD stayed here, he stayed there. They filed for divorce in July and it was finalized last week. They were married for less than a year but together for eight. She is doing well but it's wearing on me. Not my relationship and knowing the details I support her 100% but it's still a shock, like an unexpected death. I thought she'd found her Happily Ever After, but no. ANYHOW... she is doing quite well and has found a job she loves- she's working for the social services department at a local nursing home/LTC facility. She helps plan functions, coordinates with patient/family visiting, and basically is support and friendship for the folks on her floor. She plays cards and games, does hair and nails, helps with sewing projects, and does a lot of listening and hugging. She loves it and it's reinforced her desire to get a master's in social work (so starting grad school next fall). Even having a kid who's an adult, my life is easier when her life is settled and happy.

I am busy with work. How does one teach organic chem labs REMOTELY? It's a challenge, and all the online/tech stuff adds to the challenge for me. I have 38 students but as "lab manager" I also supervise 6 TAs. The issues that have arisen have been surprising, and nothing we'd expected. Remote learning is a challenge in so many ways, and keeping up with the grading has kept me busier than I could have imagined. It's stressful. Also, DH is having several medical issues and had his own cancer scare (turned out to be a 5cm epididymal cyst, but until the ultrasound and biopsy came in, it was pretty awful around my house). He is having hernia surgery on Friday, after which they'll deal with the cyst. He is pretty stressed. The last time he had surgery, on his knee, it became incredibly infected and he almost lost his leg, so he's pretty apprehensive, anxious, and scared about the upcoming surgery. All in all, I am done with 2020. I am tired of having limited social interaction, tired of working from home, incredibly worried about the upcoming election, trying not to worry about DH's surgery and all... Just done, some days, ya know?

We decide to bite the bullet and use some of our HELOC, so we have a brand new split rail fence in front of our home! We had an old vinyl fence that seemed to lose more and more pickets every winter, so decided it's finally time. We also had the driveway paved! DH is ecstatic! With the way our drive is laid out, there's no sense in hiring a snowplow in the winter, and with the gravel driveway a snowblower can't be used, so DH does all the shoveling by hand. Well, he's 60 now. Going strong but still 60! A friend "handed down" a snowblower this summer, and that clinched it. We also realized that if we are thinking about selling house in the next 5-10 years, a paved driveway would be a plus. We are looking pretty fancy now- or at least not quite as run down! Here's a picture of the fence, with the drive on the left side of the house.120948306_363688104980354_2003475371889634236_n.jpg
We also planted some mums under the window on the right and put in some bulbs and azalea bushes, which of course we won't see until next spring.

I am at my sister's in southern Maine right now. She is having terrible back issues and is taking quite a few drugs. Between told to stay off her feet and the narcotics, she's not comfortable being alone so I have been here for a week. Her daughter will be back home tomorrow so I'll head back north. It was GLORIOUS here today, almost 80F this afternoon, so we spent much of it out on the back deck. Even now at 11pm we have the back slider and all the windows open. Tomorrow it'll go back to being seasonal, with winter not too far behind, so I am so thankful for a day like today!

Good to hear from everyone, and Happy Thanksgiving to all you Canadian ALDIO folks!!

Sounds like a lot of things on your and your husband's plates there, leebee. :hug:'s Though you seem to be dealing with and addressing them one by one as they come along. Tough though for sure. Your home looks GREAT! Looks like a New England postcard. Enjoy.

My best wishes for your daughter as she adjusts, for you as you go through this remote time, your husband for his upcoming surgery. I hope he does not have to use that snow blower too often this winter.

I'm here, and thanks for thinking of me. Jane, WONDERFUL news about the biopsy and so glad you didn't have to wait the full 2 weeks. Definitely a happy Thanksgiving for you this year!

It's been a trying fall. Without going into all details (and I may have previously), DD27 moved back to our area in March. Married bliss was not, and they decided to live apart for awhile. Then Covid hit, DD stayed here, he stayed there. They filed for divorce in July and it was finalized last week. They were married for less than a year but together for eight. She is doing well but it's wearing on me. Not my relationship and knowing the details I support her 100% but it's still a shock, like an unexpected death. I thought she'd found her Happily Ever After, but no. ANYHOW... she is doing quite well and has found a job she loves- she's working for the social services department at a local nursing home/LTC facility. She helps plan functions, coordinates with patient/family visiting, and basically is support and friendship for the folks on her floor. She plays cards and games, does hair and nails, helps with sewing projects, and does a lot of listening and hugging. She loves it and it's reinforced her desire to get a master's in social work (so starting grad school next fall). Even having a kid who's an adult, my life is easier when her life is settled and happy.

I am busy with work. How does one teach organic chem labs REMOTELY? It's a challenge, and all the online/tech stuff adds to the challenge for me. I have 38 students but as "lab manager" I also supervise 6 TAs. The issues that have arisen have been surprising, and nothing we'd expected. Remote learning is a challenge in so many ways, and keeping up with the grading has kept me busier than I could have imagined. It's stressful. Also, DH is having several medical issues and had his own cancer scare (turned out to be a 5cm epididymal cyst, but until the ultrasound and biopsy came in, it was pretty awful around my house). He is having hernia surgery on Friday, after which they'll deal with the cyst. He is pretty stressed. The last time he had surgery, on his knee, it became incredibly infected and he almost lost his leg, so he's pretty apprehensive, anxious, and scared about the upcoming surgery. All in all, I am done with 2020. I am tired of having limited social interaction, tired of working from home, incredibly worried about the upcoming election, trying not to worry about DH's surgery and all... Just done, some days, ya know?

We decide to bite the bullet and use some of our HELOC, so we have a brand new split rail fence in front of our home! We had an old vinyl fence that seemed to lose more and more pickets every winter, so decided it's finally time. We also had the driveway paved! DH is ecstatic! With the way our drive is laid out, there's no sense in hiring a snowplow in the winter, and with the gravel driveway a snowblower can't be used, so DH does all the shoveling by hand. Well, he's 60 now. Going strong but still 60! A friend "handed down" a snowblower this summer, and that clinched it. We also realized that if we are thinking about selling house in the next 5-10 years, a paved driveway would be a plus. We are looking pretty fancy now- or at least not quite as run down! Here's a picture of the fence, with the drive on the left side of the house.View attachment 531494
We also planted some mums under the window on the right and put in some bulbs and azalea bushes, which of course we won't see until next spring.

I am at my sister's in southern Maine right now. She is having terrible back issues and is taking quite a few drugs. Between told to stay off her feet and the narcotics, she's not comfortable being alone so I have been here for a week. Her daughter will be back home tomorrow so I'll head back north. It was GLORIOUS here today, almost 80F this afternoon, so we spent much of it out on the back deck. Even now at 11pm we have the back slider and all the windows open. Tomorrow it'll go back to being seasonal, with winter not too far behind, so I am so thankful for a day like today!

Good to hear from everyone, and Happy Thanksgiving to all you Canadian ALDIO folks!!

So sorry you are having to endure all the stress that 2020 has brought you and yours. :hug: Glad your daughter has found some happiness in her new job, and the decision to attain her degree. The driveway looks amazing, as does the fence. We still have interlocking stone as my Dh jokingly calls it. We've had different types of snowblowers over the decades lol... boy that statement made me feel old...er! We've had a riding lawn tractor snow blower attachment for the last 10 years, and it has made our Canadian winters easier.

I wish all a Safe time going forward, and take care. :grouphug:

:wave2: HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

How good to take a little break from the sorrow and uncertainty and mindfully count our blessings. Although there’s likely much less holiday travel and fewer tables full of family and friends, roast turkey and pumpkin pie are still awesome.

Have a lovely day ALDIO friends! :goodvibes

WHAT.....THIS ISN'T ABOUT OKLAHOMA ????? I finally have something to write about Oklahoma 📬📬📬📬....so maybe I shouldn't post ...because it is a TV show jeopardy spoiler and maybe folks watch it here....so if you randomly watch Jeopardy...make sure to watch or internet searc.....anyhow....one contestant answered that an asteroid hit Oklahoma in the 1930s....and is wondering if any folks i Oklahoma where having success finding asteroid parts....anyhow. a asteroid does hit jeopardy today🧨🧨🧨🧨🧨🧨🧨

WHAT.....THIS ISN'T ABOUT OKLAHOMA ????? I finally have something to write about Oklahoma 📬📬📬📬....so maybe I shouldn't post ...because it is a TV show jeopardy spoiler and maybe folks watch it here....so if you randomly watch Jeopardy...make sure to watch or internet searc.....anyhow....one contestant answered that an asteroid hit Oklahoma in the 1930s....and is wondering if any folks i Oklahoma where having success finding asteroid parts....anyhow. a asteroid does hit jeopardy today🧨🧨🧨🧨🧨🧨🧨
Welcome to ALDIO! This thread was started by a beloved Dis-er some years ago, he has subsequently disappeared.
Out of dedication to our dear friend, we've "kept the candle burning" on this thread.

However, you are more than welcome to join us and share anything you like, including content about Oklahoma,

Please, join us. We're a fun and friendly group and would be pleased to have you with us. :)

:wave2: HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

How good to take a little break from the sorrow and uncertainty and mindfully count our blessings. Although there’s likely much less holiday travel and fewer tables full of family and friends, roast turkey and pumpkin pie are still awesome.

Have a lovely day ALDIO friends! :goodvibes

Say it isn't SNOW for Alberta on Friday... -------(*.*

I knew Micca was wrong, always watching over us and giving up thumbs up....but it says no diving on the side of the pool, I can read the graphics,....but our thermometer only goes 10 inches into the 4' pool.....so I have 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ no idea how cold the other 38 inches of water🤿🤿🤿🤿

I knew Micca was wrong, always watching over us and giving up thumbs up....but it says no diving on the side of the pool, I can read the graphics,....but our thermometer only goes 10 inches into the 4' pool.....so I have 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ no idea how cold the other 38 inches of water🤿🤿🤿🤿

Well come on here! You read like a fun loving Diser, look out Micca!!

So.. I have to ask what does your username reflect. Mine is for my heritage 'Newfoundlanders.'

Last edited:
I love trivia...trivia that everyone should know...for example....we should all know the artist of those athletes on our high school Pee-Chee folders...but no one knows. or name the beattles on the abbey Road cover...fun things like that....anyhow...I was asked to join a trivia team in highst5akes contest because of my pop culture knowledge ,,,,Disney falling into the category and by our culture...a proper trivia category....for $400.00....name the 5 mountains in the history of Disneyland. came the question in the contest....easy peasy.... Chickapin, .holiday mountain, matterhorn, space mountain, Thunder mountain ( the alternative was Cascade peak) and we banked the $400.00 and a party happened at the end....however What parterre at disneyland is most photographed was the $50.00 question...what is the most photographed element of Disneyland.....the Mickey Mouse head parterre

Chickapin is my best favorite attraction ($20.00 question....what is the most common activity folks do at Disneyland.....wrong answer is the word "rides"...it is attractions) It has my record of most adventures in a row....three times in the same log....trust me, that log is hard after three adventures. It is second for best 10 feet at Disneyland....Snow white kitchen being first, the top of Chickapin, under the sleeping cabins,..it is so quiet and in those 10 feet, the quiet place and peaceful place at Disneyland...floating freely.....reminiscing of my first carnival ride ever,,, the plastic carnival canoes that float in water in the kiddy areas of carnivals that travel around the nation...my happen to be in 1962, at the Indio Date Festival...floating in water in a very arid climate.

so that is how I chose my name for this site ..on other sites it is the Joshua Tree road ( time to cue U2) that was the crucible that molded me into fasciation with Disneyland. I have yet to meet a peer in person....but here you are all very welcoming and to that I am grateful🩹🩹🩹🩹🩹💊💊💊🩺🩺💉🩸🩸🩸

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter