Annual Pass for new DVC Direct?

Bjaiken77

DIS Veteran
If I purchase my 125 points for my blue card, am I allowed to purchase a gold AP at this time? Or is that just for individuals who have a prior AP?

If I purchase my 125 points for my blue card, am I allowed to purchase a gold AP at this time? Or is that just for individuals who have a prior AP?
Sorry, no, only people who have a prior AP can buy or renew APs at this time. Hopefully that will change soon!

With CDC mandate changes, there are really no more excuses so bring back the AP passes DVC! :idea:
They are still limiting park admission, that is why the APs are currently not available. Whenever Disney bumps admissions to higher levels, I would expect APs to become available again. Did the new CDC guidelines address theme park admissions, at all? I hadn't heard. I thought they just changed the masking recommendations.

They are still limiting park admission, that is why the APs are currently not available. Whenever Disney bumps admissions to higher levels, I would expect APs to become available again. Did the new CDC guidelines address theme park admissions, at all? I hadn't heard. I thought they just changed the masking recommendations.
Just a hopeful comment... No, CDC did not address theme park admissions. Perhaps I need a time out LOL.

CDC doesn't make recommendation for businesses. It is up to the theme parks to manage themselves. In an interview yesterday, CEO Bob Chapek made reference to potential changes for later this summer that would make people happy. My guess is we will see them relax the rules quite a bit by the time we get to July 4th weekend.

Just a hopeful comment... No, CDC did not address theme park admissions. Perhaps I need a time out LOL.

Did Chapek say they are already increasing capacity?

So I would say you are on point and restrictions on capacity will be going away by mid summer.

I think they keep park reservations moving forward though except possibly change the park hopping restriction and possibly also open up more same day reservations.

More theme park admissions were added tonight. I was able to adjust my June theme park admissions. I had previously scheduled Epcot everyday for 8 days with park hoppers as that was all that was open. Everything was open tonight and I was able to cancel and rebook the park admissions to do 2 days at each park!

Officially no, but you can call and request a waiver. They do have a mechanism for allowing people to buy APs. I had originally taken the refund when covid first hit, and they issued a waiver to the the no-buying rule and let me get one. There's an internal process to do it. I'm not sure if they'll do it for a new DVC purchased, but It's worth calling and asking imo. Worst case they tell you no.

Officially no, but you can call and request a waiver. They do have a mechanism for allowing people to buy APs. I had originally taken the refund when covid first hit, and they issued a waiver to the the no-buying rule and let me get one. There's an internal process to do it. I'm not sure if they'll do it for a new DVC purchased, but It's worth calling and asking imo. Worst case they tell you no.

I decided to ask my DVC rep. As you suggest, the worst they can say is no. I’ve heard that plenty in my life, so no hard feelings if that is the case.

I decided to ask my DVC rep. As you suggest, the worst they can say is no. I’ve heard that plenty in my life, so no hard feelings if that is the case.

The DVC Gold pass (and any other ticket promotions DVC gets) are all determined by the ticketing department. Your rep can only tell you the rules. You'll need to talk to the ticketing department to get to someone who is charge of the waiver process.

The DVC Gold pass (and any other ticket promotions DVC gets) are all determined by the ticketing department. Your rep can only tell you the rules. You'll need to talk to the ticketing department to get to someone who is charge of the waiver process.

Probably so, but I figure my DVC guide being a pain in the ticketing department’s butt is more effective than me. I know I’m not effective - they’ve already told me to go jump in a lake, in so many words…haha.

Probably so, but I figure my DVC guide being a pain in the ticketing department’s butt is more effective than me. I know I’m not effective - they’ve already told me to go jump in a lake, in so many words…haha.
What makes you think a DVC Sales agent has any influence on park ticketing? That would be like an ABC Newscaster having input into what shows are on Disney+. DVC Discounts with parks/ticketing are negotiated at the top levels of each division, not by sales staff.

What makes you think a DVC Sales agent has any influence on park ticketing? That would be like an ABC Newscaster having input into what shows are on Disney+. DVC Discounts with parks/ticketing are negotiated at the top levels of each division, not by sales staff.

Don’t know. I’m going to find out soon enough. If I’m told no, I’m in the same situation prior to when I asked. I’ve been able to make some amazing non-Disney deals in my lifetime. I’ve found that a good portion of the battle is based on two factors: 1) showing up and 2) asking. I’ve also been told no so many times that I’m comfortable with the answer, so my feelings won’t be hurt.

I’m trying to decide about a direct contract-since that back handed announcement for Disneyland that is essentially a cancellation of annual passes-I don’t anticipate WDW having them and am currently on the fence on direct. Corp wants the money that Covid lost them period. I love the product but the company...not so much.

I’m trying to decide about a direct contract-since that back handed announcement for Disneyland that is essentially a cancellation of annual passes-I don’t anticipate WDW having them and am currently on the fence on direct. Corp wants the money that Covid lost them period. I love the product but the company...not so much.
Except that WDW IS selling new annual passes, not renewals, to people that had them during the pandemic. Disneyland is not. Two completely different customer bases. DL has a local, more regional, customer base than WDW, which is not only nationwide, but international. Those international guests often stay 2 weeks or longer. DL and CA are basically a two to 3 day stay, even for onsite guests. people go to other area parks, like Knott's, Sea World and Magic Mountain. There is a reason DL has 3 resorts for two parks and WDW has about 20 for 4 parks.

I can understand your concern, but I’m not too worried. I think DVC blue card holders will always have some type of discount on admission in whatever form that may be. It’s one of the easiest benefits to give and a lot of DVC members are coming from out of the area and will not clog up the parks.

I grew up next to Disneyland. It’s located in a tight urban area where many local people buy annual passes just to pop in and out. These are the people that clog up the parks and, frankly, don’t spend much money on their visits. Disney has already confirmed that Disneyland will have some typeof program that makes it beneficial for return visitors, but it just won’t take the form of an annual pass.

WDW is a sprawling resort that is much different than DL. Also, it’s not as tightly urbanized and has more parks. For that reason, I can see WDW still adding annual passes back into the mix. Even if they don’t, I anticipate there will be discounts on a frequent visitor program similar to what DL will be rolling out. That’s just my opinion.

Except that WDW IS selling new annual passes, not renewals, to people that had them during the pandemic. Disneyland is not. Two completely different customer bases. DL has a local, more regional, customer base than WDW, which is not only nationwide, but international. Those international guests often stay 2 weeks or longer. DL and CA are basically a two to 3 day stay, even for onsite guests. people go to other area parks, like Knott's, Sea World and Magic Mountain. There is a reason DL has 3 resorts for two parks and WDW has about 20 for 4 parks.

Correct. It's a huge difference in demographics:

Disneyland -- The majority of guests are local. At some times of year, its overwhelmingly local.
WDW: Only a small percentage of guests are local.

So WDW can afford to offer locals these "unlimited tickets" to help boost attendance, and it's still just a small percentage of guests.
At DL, it's counter-productive to give locals such a generous "discount" as that's the majority of their base. And even at DL, some version of AP will return, supposedly framed more as "loyalty." -- I expect multi-visit ticket packs, but not unlimited/open ended.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!