Annual Pass for new DVC Direct?

I still have family in CA, so I’d love for them to come up with a new pass that provides discounts to DL (even if not in the form of an AP) as well as WDW. That premiere pass wouldn’t have worked for me anyhow based on the high cost and number of days I’d actually spend at DL.

WDW internally is stating same about pass holders and Florida residents. And they are only selling renewals if your pass lapsed within a set time. I understand the market in DL-the company totally sees pass holders as not spending in what makes them a ton of money-merchandise. When I worked a third party contract for DW they knew how much a visitor staying on property spent with charging to room-and geared the resort discount offers based on the spend. It’s a densely packed area of Florida and they have a ton of pass holders and many pass holders that fly in on the regular that aren’t DVC. Disney makes a ton on merchandise-prior to giving up the contracts it would always amaze me to hear how much of the operation they considered loss leaders.

Correct. It's a huge difference in demographics:

Disneyland -- The majority of guests are local. At some times of year, its overwhelmingly local.
WDW: Only a small percentage of guests are local.

So WDW can afford to offer locals these "unlimited tickets" to help boost attendance, and it's still just a small percentage of guests.
At DL, it's counter-productive to give locals such a generous "discount" as that's the majority of their base. And even at DL, some version of AP will return, supposedly framed more as "loyalty." -- I expect multi-visit ticket packs, but not unlimited/open ended.

Yes, we went to Food and Wine at DCA in 2019. For almost the entire day, the park was pretty well spaced out and enjoyable. However, you could just feel the rush of SoCal residents that hit the park after work at around 5 pm. It was so noticeable. It became incredibly uncomfortable. I don’t blame them - I’d zip over to DL on a Friday night if I had nothing going on. However, it just made it so uncomfortable in the parks. It’s probably a good decision on Disney’s part to try to preserve the enjoyment and experience within the park.

WDW internally is stating same about pass holders and Florida residents. And they are only selling renewals if your pass lapsed within a set time. I understand the market in DL-the company totally sees pass holders as not spending in what makes them a ton of money-merchandise. When I worked a third party contract for DW they knew how much a visitor staying on property spent with charging to room-and geared the resort discount offers based on the spend. It’s a densely packed area of Florida and they have a ton of pass holders and many pass holders that fly in on the regular that aren’t DVC. Disney makes a ton on merchandise-prior to giving up the contracts it would always amaze me to hear how much of the operation they considered loss leaders.
They are not only selling renewals, they are selling NEW AP vouchers that can be activated with new expiration dates to anyone that had an AP during designated AP recovery dates. I have a Gold AP Voucher that they added to my MDE account that I will activate in November.

Last edited:
Don't read that article to mean anything new. We really already new they were coming back. And the article doesn't really do anything to suggest a time frame.

It doesn’t directly, but it does say:

“we will no longer be offering complimentary MagicBands with Annual Pass purchases and renewals made August 16, 2021 and beyond.”

I would take that to at least be a strong indication that it’s going to be within the next 3 months.

“we will no longer be offering complimentary MagicBands with Annual Pass purchases and renewals made August 16, 2021 and beyond.”

I would take that to at least be a strong indication that it’s going to be within the next 3 months.

I hope so but I read it more as even if we don't start selling annual passes until Jan 1, know that when that happens you won't get free magic bands.

I hope so but I read it more as even if we don't start selling annual passes until Jan 1, know that when that happens you won't get free magic bands.

Maybe, but the announcement was made today. Why even write about it or provide an August date if they aren’t going to be selling passes by then? I know some people have been able to renew due to COVID related interruptions, but I know a lot of people are still waiting.

It may not happen by then. I just took it as a strong indication. Maybe I’m reading too much between the lines.

I'd only take it to mean they they won't give complimentary magic bands as of August 16, 2021. They could start new AP sales before August 16, they could start them 6 months later.

Truthfully... re-starting AP sales is not a decision they need to make months in advance. Whoever wrote the press release likely has zero idea of when AP sales are returning. They only know the date for the chance to magic bands.

Maybe, but the announcement was made today. Why even write about it or provide an August date if they aren’t going to be selling passes by then? I know some people have been able to renew due to COVID related interruptions, but I know a lot of people are still waiting.

It may not happen by then. I just took it as a strong indication. Maybe I’m reading too much between the lines.

Because thousand of people are already renewing them. So you want to give those people who currently have APs three months of pre-warning.

Let's say they are planning on resuming AP sales on August 16th, why make the magic band announcement now? They could simply make it at the exact same time they announce new sales.
The reason for the announcement -- Is because of the effect on ongoing AP holders, renewals. Not new sales.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter