Angelrose's Journey

Hi minniecarousel. I've done a lot of thinking and I'm going to tell Chuck and Karen that I am just not ready to live with them permanently. I don't mind staying there for my recovery, but not permanently.

I will be perfectly able to take care of myself in a week or so. My cousin who is the same age as me, had her hips replaced and she does fine. I will ask Chuck to get me one of those life alert things to wear. But I'm just not ready to move out of my house.

Maybe in a few years I will be ready to move into a rancher in a 55 and older community near by. Even if I lived in a mother in law suite, I would not have my own kitchen. Where would I put my food? Where would I put my canned goods and spices and herbs? It just would not work for me at this time. I really dread having this conversation with them. I know how they worry about me living alone. But I just can't do it. Not yet anyway.

Thanks for the good thoughts. I will try and get back on Tuesday night or Wednesday night to let you all know how things went.

Thank you Grumpy's Gal. The surgery went well. I am now at home with Chuck and Karen. I am in some pain but I am taking pain meds that seeem to help. I really appreciate all the support from my dear friends. You don't know what that means to me. I can't stay on too long. But I just wanted to check in.

I'm so glad the surgery went well! Hope you heal quickly! Glad the pain meds are helping, don't try to be brave and not take them, I have patients tell me all the time they don't like to take pills, they are afraid they will get adicted, etc, if you are in too much pain it can slow the healing process.

Hi Mary! Praying for a speedy recovery. Love you!

Like rndmr2 said, you need to take the pain meds as prescribed because they really do help the healing process.

So glad you made it through round one! I think a 55+ community sounds like a perfect solution. I don't think I could ever give up my kitchen either.

Have a very Happy Easter!!!!!

Woo-hoo! One hurdle over! Glad to hear that the surgery went well. I agree about taking the pain meds regularly. You'll step down to Advil or Tylenol later. It's always such a relief to have the surgery over. And you know what to expect with the next one.
Hang in there!

Thank you all. Today I feel human again. I have been taking my meds and they do help. I take two pain meds at night and then one every four hours during the day. In between I take two tylenol and two high dose aspirin a day. It's amazing how much better I feel tonight than I did yesterday. I can walk without too much pain. I'm sure it will take a while, but I am amking slow progress.

Getting hugs from my grandkids sure does help and Jesse plays his guitar for me and Zoey drew me a picture with I LOVE GRAMMA on it. More progress every day.

Oh I just remembered, while the nurse was getting ready to give me my first dose of pain meds, that commercial came on about becoming a heroin addict. I had this look of horror on my face and the nurse told me not to worry about that. I'm in real pain and need the meds. LOL

OK - that made me chuckle! Shes right, your body needs it, but that's why some people put off taking the meds on time.

Today I asked Chuck when I could stop taking the pain meds. Not today mom! Karen said, "don't worry mom, we won't let you become a drug addict." LOL I do still need help with the pain. I am making progress every day. I can walk around the house 2 or 3 times before I need to sit down again. I walking better with that horrible pain. I seem to have more strength in my leg every day. I still have trouble getting in and out of the tub for my shower, but that will come too.

Angelrose, my mom is in a similar situation. Her husband passed away this past summer, and she's getting her 2nd hip replaced soon. She's also starting to clean out her 1970's house we grew up in, and will eventually live in an addition my brother is going to build onto his house (he lives 1 mile from her). When my stepdad first passed, we talked about her not living alone, and she didn't want to hear it and thought she'd want to stay in her house for years. But it's just too big and too much work for her. Took her about a month to come to that conclusion. She wants her independence though, like you do. Wants her own kitchen, living area, etc. So the addition will be perfect for her. She has to stay in a nursing home after her surgery for 1 week. Then home, with hopefully an aid coming every day, and us all helping her too. We were worried about her living alone, so my brother put a camera with voice thing in her living room. You can turn the camera around though so it's just facing a wall so it's not an invasion of privacy. But he feels better that he can check on her and call out to her. I wouldn't want that myself, but they both are fine with it, so it works. I actually have to go to her house tomorrow and go through my high school stuff. Should be fun.

And yes, your family won't let you become an addict, take those meds!! My mom is the same as you though, so I get it. If it were me, I'd be asking for extra I think, lol.

Thank you bellebud and Grumpy's Gal. This week is going better. I am going outside to walk 250 steps. That's all I'm allowed. Next week I can add a few more steps. I feel so frustrated at not being able to do things for myself. But I just can't. I have to come to grips with that.

Karen took me to my WW meeting and everyone gave me a round of applause and told me how good I was doing. I did gain back a pound. Considering I don't move a whole lot, I can't complain.

I really miss my home. It feels like years since I've been there. It hasn't even been two weeks yet. I have to be content with these small accomplishments. But it is hard.

Sorry to whine. I'm feeling sorry for myself. I know how lucky I am to have my son and daughter in law taking such good care of me.

Hang in there! Just think, by the end of the summer how strong you will be again and with so much less pain. I admire you as a person, it's obvious how much your family loves you. One day at a time!! xo

your son and daughter in law sound like wonderful people. Are you keeping busy otherwise? So that you're not thinking too much about home, etc? Puzzle books? Trashy magazines? On line games? How's the pain? Hope it's not bad for you.

Thank you snappyd. I know it will all be worth it by the fall. I don't know if I will be able to swim this summer, depends on how long it takes me to recover from the second surgery.

bellebud, you have no idea how wonderful my son and daughter lin law are. Karen or Chuck take me for my 250 foot walks every day. I have my shows to watch on tv and my Kindle to read.

Today Karen took me shopping at Acme and got me a scooter cart. Unfortunately the thing was possessed. LOL It was OK going forward or backward, but when I tried to stop, it would sloowly roll backward unto Karen's toes. Nothing I could do to stop it. I would just yell to Karen and she would torture me. I never knew grocery shopping could be so hilarious.

Then in the afternoon, Chuck took me to the mall to get a haircut. That made me feel so much better. I was so ready to do nothing for the rest of the day.

Thank you 7165red. I appreciate you prayers. I will need all of His strength in the next couple of months.

I got the staples out this morning. 30 of them. Karen counted. LOL It didn't hurt at all, just like a little pinch. The doctor seemed pleased with my progress. I asked him about the trouble I have putting on my sock on the left foot. He said it would take time, but eventually it will happen and not to try and force it. All I kept thinking was, "doctor it hurts when I do this. Then don't do that". I do feel better without the staples, just have steri strips on which will eventually fall off. I do still have to use the walker for another two weeks before I can use just my cane. No way around that one.

But I can get in and out of the shower without Karen helping me. I can also go up and down the stairs much easier than before. The doctor said I would probably be able to swim by the end of July. Chuck and Karen are going to get my car here tomorrow and see how I do driving. I know it sounds weird, but I'm nervous about that. It's only been two weeks and I feel so unsure of myself driving. I guess I will have to get over that too. It's slow progress, but progress .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter