An Inch shy of 44 inches

Yes, I agree safety is important. At the same time, if SM (for example) ride height is 44", I don't think that a child who is 43.75" tall is in mortal danger if they ride it.

It does stand to reason that there is a "danger curve", rather than going from 100% safe to 0% safe. This article:

https://socialmathematics.net/2018/01/08/do-height-restrictions-matter-to-safety-on-roller-coasters/

mentions that the build and behavior of the child are probably factors in actual safety as well.

You guys, she WAS tall enough. Are you missing that part entirely? I was being sarcastic with the whole 47.99999 inches thing. She measured at gate 1. You can say all the things you want about safety, why did she measure at 1 pole and 10 mins later not. It's 100 degrees out, we are hot, we are tired, my kid just wanted to ride. No entitlement, she went in that line, she stood in it with the though that "Hey, I get to ride this, finally", and she was told no, in a rude way, and it brought her to tears. So in the moment, I did what I did. I was in no way trying to cheat anything, but I was angry at her lack of empathy for my kid. Have you ever had a CM be rude to you? We are talking 1 isolated incident. Again, let's move on now.

You have been on these boards (and going to the parks) long enough to see all of the posts about "My child is xxx tall, will they get on the ride". You surely have seen all the tips (such as go on a questionable ride first thing) and knew there were 2 measuring points. And had to know that even if one was cleared the other one may not be.

So no, you have no excuse for being as rude as you were and calling the CM names.

They are mostly strict (and for good reason!)

On Barnstormer, both my kids went on right at 35” or 35.5”. They were both checked at both checkpoints on those visits.

When my daughter was tall enough for SDMT, no one checked. She was 38.5” and her head clearly touched the bar when we measured her on our own outside the ride (the CM was talking to a guest.) No one checked her when we got to loading either, though, which surprised me.

My daughter just hit 40” and on Soarin she was checked when we got in line and at the 2nd checkpoint too.

You have been on these boards (and going to the parks) long enough to see all of the posts about "My child is xxx tall, will they get on the ride". You surely have seen all the tips (such as go on a questionable ride first thing) and knew there were 2 measuring points. And had to know that even if one was cleared the other one may not be.

So no, you have no excuse for being as rude as you were and calling the CM names.

I agree. My youngest is 49 inches according to annual check up, but we are prepared to possibly be told no she can’t ride because it is so close. We went to an amusement park a few weeks ago and I checked her height before getting in line...she was good to go. When she got to the ride worker, he stopped to measure her. All the kids before her were easily clearing the measurement stick while walking by. She was able to ride everything but she was stopped at quite a few rides for the workers to double check. Also, our Universal trip is postponed for a few years until she can meet all those height requirements as well.

Oh wow I must have hit a nerve. Very sorry if my question offended anyone.

In our experience they are strict. My husband was going to take our son on the Tomorrowland Speedway. The height restriction is 32 inches, and he had previously been measured at the doctor's at 32 inches. However at the ride they said he was slightly too short, and he couldn't ride. I was surprised. My daughter was around 39 inches and got measured (and passed) on Kali River Rapids and 7DMT.

I would tell him he's probably too short, but it doesn't hurt to give it a try. On our trip last summer, our 4 year old was a bit shy of being 40" - about 3/4 of an inch under in his typical summer shoes. We bought him some Skechers with a nice, thick sole - not anything ridiculous or platform, but they were on the chunky side compared to the super-slim sole on the sandals he usually wears in summer. We didn't try any of the Mountains, but our experiences on height checks varied greatly. At the Mine Train they pulled him aside for measuring at the first and second check, and both times he was clearly tall enough. At Soarin and Test Track he was only measured at the first check, where honestly it looked a little iffy, but the CMs really did help him try to stand as straight as he could and ended up letting him on (really, I thought Soarin was going to be a no - it was later in the day and his head was not quite touching that bar - they did say yes, but warned us that it might be a no at the second check.) At Tower of Terror, no one stopped us to measure him! The only place he got a definite no from was Mission: Space...right after getting off Test Track. He took it in in stride. I think generally if the parents are understanding about it and you immediately move on to a different fun thing (like Buzz maybe, if he's wanting to ride Space Mountain) your child probably won't be too upset about it. And for what it's worth, he is a very good listener (which helps for ride safety and the CMs telling him how to stand straight) and is pretty solid - not a skinny little guy like his older brother. (Since as a previous post pointed out, those are other factors that can effect that danger curve.)

Hopefully your kid will grow just enough. Just because he can get on one 44" ride doesn't mean all will work. When we went the first time my youngest was hovering at 40". He measured just right for Splash and rode. We immediately walked over to Big Thunder and he wasn't tall enough. Poor kid was so sad as he was sure he was getting on because he had just measured 40" 15 minutes before. He was able to get on Soarn'.

My son was 48.5" on our last trip. They measured him 3 times for RR: when we entered the ride, when the FP line merged, and right before he got on. Be aware that if they are close, they could be measured any time there is a CM.

Basically the second girl was saying the first guy was wrong.... It was ridiculous. I called the CM MUD. Luckily we had a FP and did not wait but 8 mins or so. But she was unapologetic and rude about it. Did not care one bit that she hurt my kid.

LOL you called her mud? Ooooh I bet that traumatized her :rotfl2:

Well! This post went sideways! popcorn::

I was lucky...at 3 years old my child was nearly 42 inches. Now....he's 11 and 5'4! Ugh,! :faint:

I also disagree with Disney being "Very strict" about heights. Cast members are inconsistent with how much attention they pay to heights. Over the last five years sometimes our kids were measured and sometimes they weren't. If your kid is in the grey zone where they're not obviously short, they may not get measured. They're also not going to make your child take their shoes off to be measured, so if they have shoes with chunky heels they'll be taller. Heels on some Crocs are nearly 1". Plus with a month to go, kiddo is likely to grow a bit too.

Sketchers and trimmed to size shoe inserts, like odor eaters or the gel ones. Also take a deep breath as they measure, it makes one stand up straight.

Shoes, time of day, and attraction make a difference.
Technically, Kali River Rapids and 7DMT have the same height requirement. My son was very close to the cutoff. He was denied on KRR but rode 7DMT at least 3x on the same trip. I have to say that he was measured twice on 7DMT. I think he was asked to take off his hat, but not his shoes (but he wore standard shoes, not platforms)

You guys, she WAS tall enough. Are you missing that part entirely? I was being sarcastic with the whole 47.99999 inches thing. She measured at gate 1. You can say all the things you want about safety, why did she measure at 1 pole and 10 mins later not. It's 100 degrees out, we are hot, we are tired, my kid just wanted to ride. No entitlement, she went in that line, she stood in it with the though that "Hey, I get to ride this, finally", and she was told no, in a rude way, and it brought her to tears. So in the moment, I did what I did. I was in no way trying to cheat anything, but I was angry at her lack of empathy for my kid. Have you ever had a CM be rude to you? We are talking 1 isolated incident. Again, let's move on now.

I’m shaking my head after reading all your comments. The CMs did their job and measured your DD- then you are told she couldn’t ride for her own safety, and say how rude and unapologetic the CM was. In front of your DD your proceed to call the CM names and act immature.

The CMs have jobs and could get in trouble for not doing them properly- your daughter maybe stood differently at the second point. Who knows but to say the CM was rude when you threw a fit and called names is ridiculous! They deal with abuse verbally daily and can’t say anything back-

Never had a rude CM in years because we always smile and say hi. Yes my kids were too short years ago and turned away from ride after riding the same ride before (at Kings Island). We just said thanks and walked away-

This again? I threw no fit. I said "Well your name is mud", and walked away. It wasn't even in a totally impolite way. Gezzus get off your high horses everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!