• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

An Inch shy of 44 inches

Like she was not even apologetic about it. Most CM's will say Oh my goodness princess we are SO sorry but you are not tall enough. She was like, nope, can't ride, bye. So yeah, I would call her a name again. Only time I ever have.

Yes. I did. Because the CM up front who measured her, said she was good to go, and this woman would not even entertain the idea. I even asked are you positive these poles are EXACTLY the same, because she measured right at the pole out front. She wanted nothing to do with my voice of reason. Like how did we get past him, he measured her. She gave no craps about it. So yes, I said her name is MUD. No craps given, just like her.

Wow. I have no words.

And you don't need to have words. You were not there, you did not witness the situation. Had she been nice about it, no problem. But she was rude about it and had no interest in hearing what I had to say. And interestingly enough, 20 mins later when shift change occurred, we got on the ride no problem. She passed both height checks. So I really do not care what you all think, that CM was RUDE. Believe me, I Disney a lot and I am usually very patient and kind to CM's, but I stand by what I said.

My 3 year old was able to ride everything except the 44" rides in 2016. In 2017 at 4 she rode everything except the 48" rides. The only reason she did make the 44" was due to her shoes. She wears Sketchers De'Lites and they have a thick sole. Now we didn't "Purposely" make her wear them but her other shoes like her Nike Air she was just shy of the 44" mark. I'm talking maybe 1/8th inch. If she would have been at 43 there is no way I would have fixed it so she could ride the bigger rides. The height restriction is for safety. I seen elsewhere where someone posted up something I never thought of. To paraphrase what the poster said: " Anyone not meeting the height requirements could ride the rides with no problem as long as the ride functions properly. It's when there is a problem with the ride where they could get hurt". That makes a lot of since to me. Even though my little one could ride Big Thunder, the sudden stop at the end is brutal. I can't imagine how much worse it would be for someone even smaller. Just last week my now 5 year old was still too short for Primeval Whirl and RnR and she understood. She understands there will be a next time.

My 3 year old was able to ride everything except the 44" rides in 2016. In 2017 at 4 she rode everything except the 48" rides. The only reason she did make the 44" was due to her shoes. She wears Sketchers De'Lites and they have a thick sole. Now we didn't "Purposely" make her wear them but her other shoes like her Nike Air she was just shy of the 44" mark. I'm talking maybe 1/8th inch. If she would have been at 43 there is no way I would have fixed it so she could ride the bigger rides. The height restriction is for safety. I seen elsewhere where someone posted up something I never thought of. To paraphrase what the poster said: " Anyone not meeting the height requirements could ride the rides with no problem as long as the ride functions properly. It's when there is a problem with the ride where they could get hurt". That makes a lot of since to me. Even though my little one could ride Big Thunder, the sudden stop at the end is brutal. I can't imagine how much worse it would be for someone even smaller. Just last week my now 5 year old was still too short for Primeval Whirl and RnR and she understood. She understands there will be a next time.

I think this is the best way to teach children. First, the reason there are rules in place, and second how to follow a rule we have agreed to adhere to when we enter any establishment. I also firmly believe that if we teach children these two concepts, we will aslo be teaching them how to address situations when it may seem clear that the people whose job is in part to enforce the rules have made a mistake.

I have raised three children to adulthood and every one of them is extremely effective in addressing situations in which errors have occurred. The methods they employ do not include name calling as a means to having those errors corrected intheir favor.

Yes. I did. Because the CM up front who measured her, said she was good to go, and this woman would not even entertain the idea. I even asked are you positive these poles are EXACTLY the same, because she measured right at the pole out front. She wanted nothing to do with my voice of reason. Like how did we get past him, he measured her. She gave no craps about it. So yes, I said her name is MUD. No craps given, just like her.

You insulted someone for doing their job. Nice. :sad2: If your child is that close in height even a change in how the ground is slanted can make the difference between riding and not riding. Neither CM did anything wrong.

They have 2 measuring places because some people sneak too short kids into line. I've seen them do it.

Like she was not even apologetic about it. Most CM's will say Oh my goodness princess we are SO sorry but you are not tall enough. She was like, nope, can't ride, bye. So yeah, I would call her a name again. Only time I ever have.

And you don't need to have words. You were not there, you did not witness the situation. Had she been nice about it, no problem. But she was rude about it and had no interest in hearing what I had to say. And interestingly enough, 20 mins later when shift change occurred, we got on the ride no problem. She passed both height checks. So I really do not care what you all think, that CM was RUDE. Believe me, I Disney a lot and I am usually very patient and kind to CM's, but I stand by what I said.

Oooooooookay then. Good example set for your daughter :thumbsup2

So I erased my previous post because it's really not worth it, but the point I was making was that I don't think it's as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be. We're not all perfect parents. If someone were to tell me they've never gotten frustrated with another person and said something that in hindsight wasn't the smartest thing to say, even in front of their child, I'd say they're lying. I know I have. Calling a CM "mud" may not have been the smart thing to do, but it's not the end of the world for the child or the CM. Good grief.

So I erased my previous post because it's really not worth it, but the point I was making was that I don't think it's as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be. We're not all perfect parents. If someone were to tell me they've never gotten frustrated with another person and said something that in hindsight wasn't the smartest thing to say, even in front of their child, I'd say they're lying. I know I have. Calling a CM "mud" may not have been the smart thing to do, but it's not the end of the world for the child or the CM. Good grief.

Maybe not but I find it ironic that the poster is complaining about a CM being rude and "hurting" her child and at the same time calls the CM a name in front of her own child.
She is teaching her child that it is OK to be rude when she doesn't get her way.

OP, if your child is just shy of 44 inches in a few months they may be 44 inches.

Is it the end of the World? No. Is it okay? Not in my World.

I have been in customer service since I started working and honestly, this example of behavior would not make it into the top 50 of examples of horrible human behavior I got treated to, however you never know how that one experience would affect someone’s day. The final straw in a bad string of bad straws?
I think what is abhorrent to me is that while I know people do and say things in frustration, but they regret the action after, they do not revel in its aftermath with no consideration of how their words or behaviors may have affected another person.

Have I lost my temper? Yes. Have I learned from that and made sure I tempered my behavior moving forward? Yes. We are not perfect people but I like to think most of us are inherently kind.

Exactly. I'm sure she did not even care. With her attitude, I'm sure she's been called worse, and I could have absolutely called her worse! Geez people. And so based on this one time that I lost my cool, because I had a crying 7 year old who did not understand why the man let her through, but the woman would not let her ride, I'm just a terrible mother/person? Cool of you to judge me by this one post. None of us are perfect, and it's handy to hide behind a message board. Excuse me for being real for a minute. I figured parents in this situation might understand my frustration.

And @Nancyg56 again, with the attitude on this girl, I really did not care about her feelings. She did not care about my child's feelings. Again I repeat, she was cold about it. This is how it went. We walk to car to load, WAIT, come here, measure, nope, you can't ride. Like I have never heard a CM speak to a child like that. It's usually come here sweet princess we need to see if you are tall enough, oh my I am so sorry but you just aren't tall enough yet, blah blah blah. And when I said she measured out front, like how can she not up here? It was dunno, don't care, get out of my line. So again, she didn't care about us, why should I care about her. There have only been 2 times when a CM was just so insanely rude that I called them out on it, and this was one. So I think I'm doing pretty good in life. Ya'll have a nice day now.

Exactly. I'm sure she did not even care. With her attitude, I'm sure she's been called worse, and I could have absolutely called her worse! Geez people. And so based on this one time that I lost my cool, because I had a crying 7 year old who did not understand why the man let her through, but the woman would not let her ride, I'm just a terrible mother/person? Cool of you to judge me by this one post. None of us are perfect, and it's handy to hide behind a message board. Excuse me for being real for a minute. I figured parents in this situation might understand my frustration.

I don't think you are a terrible mother for that, but I do question the fact that you continue to defend your actions like you were somehow right in calling the CM a name. You weren't, you were rude. The CM's behavior (although I'm sure we have the biased version from you) doesn't justify your own bad behavior.
As a grown adult and a mother you could have used that experience to teach your 7 year old that sometimes we have to follow rules even when we don't want too and that the CMs are doing their job but they are human and can make mistakes.
Instead you taught your dd that when someone doesn't let you break a rule (you did admit your dd was shorter than the height minimum) it is OK to be mean and call them names.

I am guessing that the directness from the CM was in response to your attitude.
Telling you "no" and not calling your child "princess" and not offering you a FP is not rude BTW.

Because surely all of you have gone through life without calling someone a name and not apologize for it? Whatever. I did what I did. It's done now. If a situation were to present itself in which I should apologize for it, I do. You parent your way, I will parent my way. This is why I hate message boards. It's done with. Move on.

Because surely all of you have gone through life without calling someone a name and not apologize for it? Whatever. I did what I did. It's done now. If a situation were to present itself in which I should apologize for it, I do. You parent your way, I will parent my way. This is why I hate message boards. It's done with. Move on.
Well I’m in my 30’s and have yet to call someone a name in the type of situation you’ve laid out :confused3

It sucks, I get it. But when you put your story out there for all to see you’re going to get people who disagree, that’s the very nature of discussion boards... To discuss, the good and the bad.

Yeah. I've made it my who adult life without insulting someone when they are at work and I am expecting them to wait on or provide me with a service. Even when I've been royally pissed off.

What if just if CM has allowed this little one on and God Forbid an accident occurred because these are safety policies.. what would she have said then??
I’m very happy you let her go on the ride and don’t hold you responsible?

I’m thinking no

Maybe not but I find it ironic that the poster is complaining about a CM being rude and "hurting" her child and at the same time calls the CM a name in front of her own child.
She is teaching her child that it is OK to be rude when she doesn't get her way.

OP, if your child is just shy of 44 inches in a few months they may be 44 inches.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter