Am I being unreasonable

You're completely within your rights to refuse treatments, but the dentist is also within her rights to refuse to treat you if she perceives you to be a liability. My MIL received a certified letter from her dentist earlier this year, informing her that he would no longer be treating her due to her refusal of X-rays. (Rather than pay for the dentist to perform the X-rays, she wanted to bring in her own X-rays that a friend who worked for an oral surgeon was providing for free.)

Have you tried calling any other practices to see what their stance on X-rays is?

OP, I'm like you, I go to the dentist for regular checkups and cleaning, but haven't had cavities or any issues requiring treatment in a very long time. I never questioned getting x-rays, since I believe radiation exposure is low, and my dentist uses the newest digital imaging, which is supposedly even safer.

That said, I can understand the viewpoint of why do it if it's not absolutely necessary? I think all of us have our own comfort level and we should make educated decisions related to our own health. So no, you're not being unreasonable.

For the heck of it, I searched online to find the ADA's official position on this. There's a long explanation basically saying dentists should use their judgment on the frequency of X-rays based on clinical evaluation and history of each individual patient. However, the recommendation for adults with no decay and not at high risk for decay, is every 24-36 months.

If your current dentist insists on following a strict policy and refuses to treat you, you have no choice but to go along with it or switch dentists. You seem to have strong feelings about this. I'd ask family, friends and colleagues for referrals and call the ones you're considering to address your concerns before making the choice. Hopefully, you can find one you'll be happy with. Good luck.

Thanks all for the replies. I called a few dentist offices right around my house that were recommend by friends. None seem to have the 12 month rule on X-rays. I think I will try going to my dentist every 9 months instead of 6 months - hopefully that will put the X-ray schedule back on an 18 month rotation. If the dentist doesn't let me, I will move to another dentist. When I went to my dental insurance's list of preferred dentists around my house, there were over 50 within 10 miles. There doesn't seem to be a dentist shortage here :)

to not want dental X-rays once a year? The threat of all the unneeded radiation scares me :)

Back story:

My whole family has used the same dental practice for years. The older dentist that we loved recently retired and turned the practice over to a younger dentist.

In years past, with the older dentist, it was totally fine for me to have X-rays every 18 months to 24 months. My teeth have zero issues - I can't remember the last time I had anything done but a regular cleaning.

This morning, I went in for my regular cleaning and the first thing the tech said was we have to do X-rays - it had been 12 months since the last set. I told her that I would feel more comfortable waiting to the next cleaning in 6 months because of the extra radiation.

She went to talk to the dentist about it. When she came back, she told me that I was required to have X-rays every 12 months if I wanted to continue as a patient. Something about liability - the dentist is terrified of being sued.

I left without my cleaning. Am I being unreasonable about this? Do other dentists also have this rule? I can understand needing X-rays if you have a history of problems, but I don't. Money isn't a factor because insurance will pay for the X-rays.

Thoughts? Should I just suck it up and have the X-rays because I love the dental tech and trust the dentist?
Do you go outside and walk? 4 bitewings are less than a day's background radiation.
Do you ever fly? 4 bitewings are about the same radiation as a 1-2 hour flight.

I think you are being unreasonable since you really love your current practice.

If you are uncomfortable with their policies, it is not worth it to go to a dentist you are uncomfortable with. Absolutely find another practice to go to.

And you say you trust your dentist, but you don't trust his decision to do xrays. So, you really don't trust him. Find another doctor

I don't think you're being unreasonable in that you have a right to choose which procedures you undergo. On the other hand, I don't think the dentist is being unreasonable either, as he has a right to choose how to run his practice. You are within your rights to go elsewhere if you don't like his policies.

That said, I took my two boys to our family dentist last week. My older guy asked what she sees in the x-rays that she can't see in his mouth. She told him there are lots of things: areas between teeth, roots, the jaw bone, the jaw joints (with the right type of x-ray). This is important for DS because he's a grinder. She's also watching my other DS's wisdom teeth development to decide when we should pull them. I once got hit in the face by a flying object at work (gotta love preschool). I needed an x-ray to make sure no roots were damaged. Personally, I think x-rays are useful and low-risk, but that's just me.

X-rays don't give off that much radiation so I really don't think you need to be worried about it.

What I do think though is that this is just a money grab.

If you have no dental issues and go for a cleaning and check up from the dentist every 6 months then you really should not need X-rays every year.

At my dentist its every 2 years and even then if you wanted to hold off you could postpone until the next time.

I have amazing health insurance other than having no dental so if my cleaning and check up are perfect then there's no way I would consider wasting more money for absolutely no reason. Every 2 years should be perfectly fine.

If you're not a fan of their procedures then you should look into a different dentist.

I have always had full set of x-rays every 12 months and then on the 6 month apt they just do like 3 or 4. My last full set was last month- they also do a panoramic one at the same time as the full set. My daughters pediatric dentist does a full set once a year and just the 3-4 at the 6 month apt but no panoramic. I always remember even as a kid a full set once a year and I didn't have a cavity until I was in my 20's.

to not want dental X-rays once a year? The threat of all the unneeded radiation scares me :)

Back story:

My whole family has used the same dental practice for years. The older dentist that we loved recently retired and turned the practice over to a younger dentist.

In years past, with the older dentist, it was totally fine for me to have X-rays every 18 months to 24 months. My teeth have zero issues - I can't remember the last time I had anything done but a regular cleaning.

This morning, I went in for my regular cleaning and the first thing the tech said was we have to do X-rays - it had been 12 months since the last set. I told her that I would feel more comfortable waiting to the next cleaning in 6 months because of the extra radiation.

She went to talk to the dentist about it. When she came back, she told me that I was required to have X-rays every 12 months if I wanted to continue as a patient. Something about liability - the dentist is terrified of being sued.

I left without my cleaning. Am I being unreasonable about this? Do other dentists also have this rule? I can understand needing X-rays if you have a history of problems, but I don't. Money isn't a factor because insurance will pay for the X-rays.

Thoughts? Should I just suck it up and have the X-rays because I love the dental tech and trust the dentist?

If you love the dentist and the tech, get the XRAYS.

Yes, all dentists want xrays.

Back story:

Yes, you are being totally unreasonable if the only excuse you are using is the very small amount of radiation used.

I have used dentists for the past 30 years that have required this and I appreciate them very much - with regular cleanings, along with annual x-rays, some things can be caught so early and dealt with before they become 'big' issues.'That's' the reason for x-rays, dentists can't sometimes 'see' the small things.

My insurance pays for two cleanings a year, one set of x-rays, and that's just what I'll get and thankful for it.
Thank your caring, cautious dentist and don't be so paranoid.

I had 6 weeks of daily radiation treatments in 2008. And, thanks to them, I'm healthy as a horse.

I think that if you don't trust the judgement of any doctor, you should start looking for another doctor.

But you may have trouble finding one who doesn't want annual x-rays. I think they're the primary method a dentist has of determining issues.

I have a patient that does his xrays every year and stays on a 6 month schedule with me. He has great home care. I took his bitewings last month and discovered internal resorption of a premolar. Had it not been caught when it was, the tooth would have needed to be extracted . There was no evidence on last year's xray, and the patient had absolutely no symptoms.
That said, if a patient declines xrays I let them know the risks and still do the appointment. If they decline for more than a couple years I make them sign the chart saying they understand the risks (which actually wouldn't even hold up in court - it would still be supervised negligence. But once people are asked to sign something it usually makes them reconsider saying no).

I have a patient that does his xrays every year and stays on a 6 month schedule with me. He has great home care. I took his bitewings last month and discovered internal resorption of a premolar. Had it not been caught when it was, the tooth would have needed to be extracted . There was no evidence on last year's xray, and the patient had absolutely no symptoms.
That said, if a patient declines xrays I let them know the risks and still do the appointment. If they decline for more than a couple years I make them sign the chart saying they understand the risks (which actually wouldn't even hold up in court - it would still be supervised negligence. But once people are asked to sign something it usually makes them reconsider saying no).

Thanks for the knowledgeable reply. You bring up an excellent point about what could happen. I have been very fortunate to have had trouble free teeth for so long that it is easy to take it for granted :) I am also happy to see that there are dentists who will allow patients to have some say in how many X-rays are taken of their teeth.

I think I will try to visit my current hygienist/dentist every 9 months instead of 6. If that doesn't work out, I will find a new dentist. I know I will be able to find one who will allow me to sign a waiver and get X-rays every 18-24 months instead of every 6. And yes, I know I will have to have another set of X-rays with a new dentist!!!

DD had a similar experience. They wanted to do x-rays (they normally do them every 12 months). She declined because she didn't have insurance at the time. They said they wouldn't even do a cleaning, since she wouldn't have the x-rays. She left without them providing any service at all, then sent her a bill in the mail for $35. I think that's ridiculous. I would think they would at least want to do a cleaning, just for the general health of her teeth and gums. Seems to me like they are just interested in the almighty dollar.

I think the concern was that the cleaning might do damage to an unknown weakness that the x-ray would have shown.

I think I will try to visit my current hygienist/dentist every 9 months instead of 6. If that doesn't work out, I will find a new dentist. I know I will be able to find one who will allow me to sign a waiver and get X-rays every 18-24 months instead of every 6.

I think it's entirely possible that if you go to the your current practice - now headed/owned by a different doc - and have the initial x-rays as required by the new regime, you have a better chance of having them to agree with less frequent x-rays. Showing up front that you're cooperative and acknowledge their expertise and practice rules starts you off in a better position to ask for your viewpoint to be respected on this. And I don't think you'll need to push your cleaning routine out from every 6 months to 9 months, which could cause you problems, especially as you get older.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter