All-Star Sports on Priceline for $36?

what happens if you request a hotel that is 4 star??? Do you have resort options on PL. I'd love to hear more about this. I know PL is a crap shoot with on property hotel accomodations, do you specifically ask for Disney property??? More info please.

Tony,
Go to www.biddingfortravel.com and read the Orlando hotel listings. If you cannot live with ANY of the four star hotels then don't bid. The ONLY Disney hotel that I have been able to find reported either here or on the bidding message boards is the All Stars..... So if you bid a 4 star you are probably looking at a non Disney hotel.

What advantage is there to checking on Expedia prior to bidding. They are different inventories so I don't see the relationship between them. :confused3

Because you can see if there are any rooms open on the dates you want. Disney's site doesn't show you actual availability as straightforward as Expedia's does. It's not a guarantee, but it does give you a better idea -- if both All Stars are booked on your dates, you are most likely not going to get them via Priceline either.

Magnetic said:
Because you can see if there are any rooms open on the dates you want. Disney's site doesn't show you actual availability as straightforward as Expedia's does. It's not a guarantee, but it does give you a better idea -- if both All Stars are booked on your dates, you are most likely not going to get them via Priceline either.

All Expedia will show is they have rooms, they will not show rooms released to Priceline, it's two different inventories.

I agree -- but if they are showing -no- rooms for your dates, it may be safer to choose alternate dates vs. risking a non-Disney offsite property when no availability is showing (in Expedia or otherwise.)

so cool, dh and i debated using PL for this sundays trip to chi. but were too chicken ad just sucked it up and paid rack rt @ Amerisuites, which i love btw

Something to be aware of with Priceline reservations if you're travelling with children:

I am still very happy with our ASM reservations and rate, but here is something that anyone travelling with kids should take note of (and something I will be more aware of if I ever use Priceline again.) As posted upthread, the Priceline reservations are made for 2 people, and you can't change that via Priceline. My husband and I are going to be travelling with our 2 children on this trip though.

I called 407-WDISNEY a bit ago to request a pack & play for our baby, and let them know that the children are coming as well. The cast member I spoke with told me that they -cannot- make any modifications, requests or additions to a Priceline reservation, and because Priceline is acting as the "travel agent" for our reservation, any requests need to be done through them. Well, anyone who's called Priceline to attempt to do this already knows they are no help - they are very firm about their "no requests no changes" policy. The cast member also said though that we could request the crib at check-in and it shouldn't be a problem.

I then called Magical Express at (866) 599-0951 to set up our flight & transport info with them. The woman I spoke with here was wonderful! I told her I wanted to set up info for our family, and she said that there were only 2 people listed on our reservation. I explained that I had booked the reservation online, but not through Disney, and our children were coming too. She said "Well, let's just add them to your reservation then. What are their names and ages?" And she took all of my various confirmation numbers, did this, and then said we should have our luggage tags and boarding passes, for all 4 of us, within 7-10 days. Whew!

So yes, you can definitely use Magical Express with these reservations, but I would set it up ahead of time if your children are coming with you.

(By the way, on your Priceline reservation, the "Hotel Confirmation Number" is your reservation with Disney -- this 12 digit number does correspond to Disney's 12-digit confirmation numbers too - but they also know it doesn't originate with their system. I also tried entering it in to the My Disney Vacation area of Disney's website [where you can view your reservation online] but the numbers do not work there -- again, likely because they originated with Priceline and not Disney.)

Has anyone been successful getting an All Star through PL for Memorial Day weekend?

WeluvDisney2 said:
Has anyone been successful getting an All Star through PL for Memorial Day weekend?

You can't even get a rack rate All-Star room through Disney for Memorial Day weekend, they are booked solid.

CarolA said:
I normally agree with Lewis, but I don't here. I believe you have grounds to complain.... YOU did not make the hotel sell you the hotel cheap that was their decision. I have nicely explained this to a hotel manager in Chicago and was moved to an acceptable room..... Now you don't deserve an upgrade to a balcony or something, but clean and normal size for the hotel are not "requests" but what they agreed to provide.

Carol--I'm sure if you ask nicely, and the hotel isn't sold out, they'll honor reasonable requests BUT

All Name Your Own Price ® hotel reservations are guaranteed for double occupancy (one double bed or two twin beds

a hotel is certainly within their rights to assign PL guests a room with only one bed. This is rare in Orlando but a few posters got a king bedded handicap accessible room. I agree the risk is small in Orlando but some members reading the PL threads are new and don't understand that in some cities there is a very real chance of getting a room that will only sleep 2.

NY Hilton generally assigns rooms with only one double bed to PL customers. I wasn't able to budge the desk clerk even with a Hilton Honors Gold card. I got what I bid on so I didn't have any real grounds to complain.

Magnetic said:
Something to be aware of with Priceline reservations if you're travelling with children:

I am still very happy with our ASM reservations and rate, but here is something that anyone travelling with kids should take note of (and something I will be more aware of if I ever use Priceline again.) As posted upthread, the Priceline reservations are made for 2 people, and you can't change that via Priceline. My husband and I are going to be travelling with our 2 children on this trip though.

I called 407-WDISNEY a bit ago to request a pack & play for our baby, and let them know that the children are coming as well. The cast member I spoke with told me that they -cannot- make any modifications, requests or additions to a Priceline reservation, and because Priceline is acting as the "travel agent" for our reservation, any requests need to be done through them. Well, anyone who's called Priceline to attempt to do this already knows they are no help - they are very firm about their "no requests no changes" policy. The cast member also said though that we could request the crib at check-in and it shouldn't be a problem.

I then called Magical Express at (866) 599-0951 to set up our flight & transport info with them. The woman I spoke with here was wonderful! I told her I wanted to set up info for our family, and she said that there were only 2 people listed on our reservation. I explained that I had booked the reservation online, but not through Disney, and our children were coming too. She said "Well, let's just add them to your reservation then. What are their names and ages?" And she took all of my various confirmation numbers, did this, and then said we should have our luggage tags and boarding passes, for all 4 of us, within 7-10 days. Whew!

So yes, you can definitely use Magical Express with these reservations, but I would set it up ahead of time if your children are coming with you.

(By the way, on your Priceline reservation, the "Hotel Confirmation Number" is your reservation with Disney -- this 12 digit number does correspond to Disney's 12-digit confirmation numbers too - but they also know it doesn't originate with their system. I also tried entering it in to the My Disney Vacation area of Disney's website [where you can view your reservation online] but the numbers do not work there -- again, likely because they originated with Priceline and not Disney.)
I have been using Priceline for years. They do not say that there are only 2 guests. They only guarantee sleeping for 2 guests. I am thinking that is where Disney got their info from. I have traveled with my family of (at times) 5 & have never had a problem. In fact one place in St Louis even gave us a cot for free. It depends on the resort you get.. not Priceline. You cannot blame Priceline if you cannot get sleeping for 4 or 5 only because they have the 2 person guarantee. Do you see what I am trying to say. If Disney says you cannot have more than 2, it isn't Priceline, it is Disney. Disney is not going to do that. How many doubles do they have as opposed to Kings.. King rooms are hard to get in Orlando. You most never get one unless you request it. Now, you cannot go & tell Disney you have 5 in a resort that sleeps 4 so that is the chance you are taking by doing Priceline for a family of 5+..not for having 4 instead of 2. I hope I have made sence to you. I am really surprised that they are allowing the Magical Express to pick you up. That is definatly a plus for anyone that needs it.

Lewisc said:
Carol--I'm sure if you ask nicely, and the hotel isn't sold out, they'll honor reasonable requests BUT

a hotel is certainly within their rights to assign PL guests a room with only one bed. This is rare in Orlando but a few posters got a king bedded handicap accessible room. I agree the risk is small in Orlando but some members reading the PL threads are new and don't understand that in some cities there is a very real chance of getting a room that will only sleep 2.

NY Hilton generally assigns rooms with only one double bed to PL customers. I wasn't able to budge the desk clerk even with a Hilton Honors Gold card. I got what I bid on so I didn't have any real grounds to complain.

Lewis, I was not speaking to the one bed etc. more to the giving me the room with the broken AC, a dirty room or a room that otherwise did not meet the normal standard for the hotel in question. PL guests should not be living in conditions that other guests aren't living in (My room had a broken A/C and a plumbing problem... At a four star hotel I don't think that was acceptable! Someone else posted on getting a room at a Holiday Inn that even the hotel admitted was below par. That's just not acceptable regardless of how you pay. They can always upgrade those that paid more to the fancy suites and give me a standard room in working condition.) (Of course if a hotel is planning to be sold out chances are they won't be on PL. If Disney thought they could get these rooms sold at rack rate they wouldn't be going for $36. At least as a stockholder I would hope not!)

You are only guranteed one bed. However, as Lewis has pointed out in MCO this does not appear to be a problem and I am almost certain it won't be a problem at the All Stars. I wouldn't however expect to be upgraded to one of the family suites or even a perferred room. You may be out there in the outskirts of the resort, but you should have the same basic room the folks paying rack rate have

However, in NY, DC etc. it would not all at be uncommon to only get one bed. Those places don't cater to families with kids but to folks like me, business travelers who only need or want one bed.

And as someone else posted, if you want customer service from your TA...don't use Priceline. They don't do customer service.

Magnetic said:
5boyz, I wrote a post last night (linked here) on how to do it, step by step, and increase your odds in favor of the Disney hotels. Pay particular attention to cross-checking the hotels' availability at Expedia to make sure they have vacancy on the dates you are looking for.

I am very sorry to have to disagree with your statement. You cannot in anyway "increase yoru odds in favor" of any hotel. There is no way to do that despite what you may think. You may have "luck" by what your have done, but you cannot increase your odds. I have been using PL for many many years & know that for a fact. I have seen where me & a friend would be on the phone, put in the exact same things for PL to get us the same resort.. (I should say try), we have even pressed the enter button at the same time & have gotten different hotels. Look what just happened to me with my bids.. I tried for one night, got it then added on an earlier check in. I then decided to "try my luck" by doing the rest of my stay with the "hope" of getting the AS-Music. I checked for room availability & it was there, I put in the same rate as before.. guess what.. I got the Amerisuites. You cannot in any way, shape or form increase your odds. You cannot really even rule out a certian resort if it is showing no availability.. because PL may have bought that block of rooms. Nothing is 100% & there is no increasing your chances. I do not want to sound harsh, but do not tell people that. They will take your word & be very upset when they do not get what they thought they were bidding for. Remember, with PL, you are not bidding for a certian resort but a certian price for certian days.. that is it.

woody5 said:
From my experience if you bid $36 for a 2 or 2 1/2 star hotel someone will take it. That is a very high bid for this level of hotel. I usually pay around $40 for four stars in other cities. /QUOTE]

Actually it is not high for Orlando anymore. Check out some of the postings on www.biddingfortravel.com & you will see what bids are being accepted. Depending on availability, you may not even get a 2 1/2* for $40.. never mind a 4 star.. In Orlando, you will not see a 4* at $40..years ago maybe but not anymore!!! I paid $48 2 weeks ago (thru PL) for the same one I got for $36 now.. it depends on season... but $36 is not high anymore for a 2 1/2. Actually, there are not many 4*'s to begin with, they are all "resort" level now..

It was never my intention to mislead anyone -- I think everyone on here, including me, has repeated over and over that it is still the luck of what you get. If you'd prefer I say increase "luck" instead of "odds," I'll edit my post. I was just posting what worked for us.

> I am really surprised that they are allowing the Magical Express to pick you up.

Why? It's available to all Disney resort guests, which we are. From Disney's Resort Benefits page:

*Disney's Magical Express is available to all Guests staying at Disney Resorts with the exception of the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotel and the Downtown Disney® Resort Area Hotels.

Nowhere on their site does it say anything about not being able to use it if you book via someone else.

I am with AMickeyFan. PL is not the deal it was a few years ago. My rule was I would book resort on PL if I could get it for about the same as the All Stars. Lately that hasn't been the case. Resorts are routinely going for the $90 plus range. When you get to the $100 range I figure I would rather know where I am staying then play the game.... For $36 I am willing to play. However, this is the first time I have EVER bid below a four star... Not a risk I am normally willing to take. My theory was that it was one night so we would live. LOL!

CarolA,
Thanks for the info. I am already booked for CSR so I'm not really interested in booking a new room, but I was certainly interested if it accomodated deluxe resorts. I have stayed at AKL and WL, I am really interested in the Poly but can't afford that this year. I think I'm good.
Judy

Magnetic said:
I agree -- but if they are showing -no- rooms for your dates, it may be safer to choose alternate dates vs. risking a non-Disney offsite property when no availability is showing (in Expedia or otherwise.)
True to a certian point, but remember, just because it is showing doesn't mean you are getting it. It has happened many times. If you go into everyone of the resorts that are listed on www.biddingfortravel (that have come up on PL) as a 2 1/2 star, you will find that many have the dates you need, not just Disney. Now, who is to say that you will definatly get Disney. No one, it is the luck of the draw & that is it. As I said, they had my dates, but didn't give it to me. I knew this going into it & was accepting to what I won. No, it wasn't what I wanted. If I really wanted a certian hotel, no matter what, I would not use PL for it.
I just do not want others (especially new to PL) to think they will get it because they are showing the dates open... that is all. Many people trust what is said on this board & to say "increase your chance" is not true at all. I am not meaning to put you down, so please do not take it that way. I just do not want people thinking they got the wrong (or bad) infor from this board.... :sunny:

Magnetic said:
It was never my intention to mislead anyone -- I think everyone on here, including me, has repeated over and over that it is still the luck of what you get. If you'd prefer I say increase "luck" instead of "odds," I'll edit my post. I was just posting what worked for us.

> I am really surprised that they are allowing the Magical Express to pick you up.

Why? It's available to all Disney resort guests, which we are. From Disney's Resort Benefits page:

Nowhere on their site does it say anything about not being able to use it if you book via someone else.
The exact word I am talking about is "increase" not odds or luck.. either way you cannot "increase" them. As far as being surprised that they are allowing the magical express, my reasoning for that is with a PL booking you are normally are not allowed to use your hotel frequent guest card (or what ever you want to call it) since you didn't book directly thru them but a third party sort of (while some resorts do give you the extra perks). You are not in the same ressie system as the regular ressies. You cannot check that ressie online, you cannot make any changes to it.. etc.. I was thinking that Disney may try something to the effect of "not providing magical express" for PL bookings. I have never had the experience of using the magical express. I live 2 1/2 hours away by car. I was saying that it is a good surprise to have it.. They do not have to allow it, but they are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter