ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

Well, let's see, there's oregonmomtowdw (Shannon), Tammie lived here and visits occasionally, Cynthia (eandesmom) lives in Seattle, Julie is here in Salem, and there are several others that I'm blanking on, but know are here! (sorry, if I missed you!! I'm trying to get out the door...) We had a big meet here at my house about 4 years ago which was a ton of fun; some spent the night, and others just came for dinner. If you do come up for a visit, let me know! We can meet in Eugene or Roseburg. :)

Wow, that's awesome! I only discovered these boards a year and a half or so ago and don't know that many people and have never met anyone here in real life. That sounds like so much fun! My family is in Grants Pass, so maybe a Roseburg meetup would work sometime next summer!

Cool! Don't get too excited - there's a big chance this might not happen at all. But, I had to bring it up. Fwiw, neither of my kids ever got into Naruto. Ds just started going to the high school anime club, so who knows what he'll see there. But, he's more into role playing games lately. Dd is the Pokemon kid. If this comes together, I have to make sure ds and dh can keep themselves amused during the tournament part! What is great for a geeky teenage boy in Portland?

BTMRR down for refurb until then.

:sad: I know.

Wow, that's awesome! I only discovered these boards a year and a half or so ago and don't know that many people and have never met anyone here in real life. That sounds like so much fun! My family is in Grants Pass, so maybe a Roseburg meetup would work sometime next summer!

Well, then we might be your first plunge into IRL Meets. :) None of us bites. Promise.

Cool! Don't get too excited - there's a big chance this might not happen at all. But, I had to bring it up. Fwiw, neither of my kids ever got into Naruto. Ds just started going to the high school anime club, so who knows what he'll see there. But, he's more into role playing games lately. Dd is the Pokemon kid. If this comes together, I have to make sure ds and dh can keep themselves amused during the tournament part! What is great for a geeky teenage boy in Portland?

We'll just hold it with an open palm, then. As you know more, just keep us posted. We'd love to see you! Portland is ALL geeky stuff. Did you know the World's largest bookstore is here? It's called Powells. And there's VooDoo Doughnuts.

Found you! Signing on.

Glad you're here, Glenn! This is just preludal stuff and setting the stage.

The When:

I have a general theory that there are basically 2 kinds of people: those who will work for the intrinsic satisfaction of achieving a goal, and those who will finish a task of any size to gain a reward. I am definitely one who falls squarely in the latter category. I'd love to say that I'm internally motivated to just get stuff done because it makes me feel good, but I'm not. If I have a carrot on a stick, from coffee for cleaning the bathroom to a 15 minutes of DISTime for doing the dishes, I can get a LOT done. And I do. I am busy from morning til night getting stuff done, but I take an ample number of reward breaks which keeps me moving.

Tackling something like graduating from Nursing School was going to take a crapton more than coffee at $ixbucks. I hatched a plan. I would work my squishy little hiney off for 3 solid years, get my LPN in the middle, earn the money for not just tuition, but enough to take my family to Disney to celebrate with me and then go. So, that's what I did. I studied every. single. day. from before sunup until very late at night. I put up with unreasonable instructors (yes, I know the difference between an appropriate amount motivational-putting-the-fear-of-God-into-a-student and just plain disrespect), countless night shifts, endless papers, and 2 years of lost family time. I rewarded myself with regular dips into the DIS where I was encouraged beyond belief by many of you. I planned one whopper of a trip too!! For those of you who stuck it out with me for every single exam, all my little mini-celebrations, patted me on the back when I deserved it and kicked me in the butt when I needed it...

THANK YOU!!! You are loved more than you know.

So, to give this TR some framework, and to set the stage getting the big picture queued up in your brains I'll now move on to the....

When; and since it's multiple people coming and going staggered throughout the whole thing, I'll give it you you as it is by person. Obviously, we're a busy family with "kids" that are not so kiddy anymore.

Anara, Zach and I leave THIS SUNDAY, October 9th where we'll catch a Red Eye out of Seattle. Since we live in Salem, OR, we'll make a traveling day out of it by stopping at P.F Chang's on the way up, then stop off at my DSIL's place where we'll pile in her van and be off to SeaTac. I am really hoping that we can meet up with eandesmom (Cynthia, no longer on the Boards) for a quick dinner and drink. But that's still in the works.

But official Disney time starts on the 10th where we'll land around 12:40PM. If all goes as planned, we should be to our resort by 2:00 and get going. Ahhhhhh... in the bubble. Can you picture it?

Then, on
the 12th, Mikki will catch her own Red Eye (out of Portland) after her classes that day. She'll arrive around 10:00 on Thursday and take Uber (since she's a 5th in the room and now ineligible for ME) to AoA. She's swears she'll be ready to hit the trail after a very short nap.

The next person to arrive is my
DH on the 16th. He is not taking a night flight, so will arrive around 6:00 that evening. I hope that he can make it to EPCOT for a dip into La Cava, but I"m doubting he'll be up for it. We'll see on that..

On the mid-morning of the
18th, Mikki will have to say goodbye so she can get back for her Wednesday classes, but 5 days in the parks isn't anything to sneeze at for a busy college girl!

The next travelers,
Anara and Zach will be heading home together into SeaTac on the 20th where their aunt will pick them up. They will hang out with her and her family until the weekend when Mikki will drive up north and pick them up and bring them home. On the same day, Mike and I will be heading down to the Keys (flying from MCO to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami, then renting a car) to spend some hubba hubba time for our very belated 25th anniversary. We'll spend 4 days snorkeling and SCUBA diving, beach combing, kayaking, etc.... We have ZERO reservations or plans, other than a hotel reservation the Pelican something-or-rather.

We'll then travel
home on the 24th and start the daily grind with some real rest on board.

If I have a carrot on a stick, from coffee for cleaning the bathroom to a 15 minutes of DISTime for doing the dishes, I can get a LOT done. And I do. I am busy from morning til night getting stuff done, but I take an ample number of reward breaks which keeps me moving.

A little insight into the life of Liesa.

I would work my squishy little hiney off

:lmao:

get my LPN in the middle, earn the money for not just tuition, but enough to take my family to Disney to celebrate with me and then go. So, that's what I did.

And that's pretty darned impressive.

I put up with unreasonable instructors (yes, I know the difference between an appropriate amount motivational-putting-the-fear-of-God-into-a-student and just plain disrespect),

Unfortunately, you can be a complete idiot and a total ******* and still be a teacher.

I wasn't there at the start, but I hope I helped anyway!

Anara, Zach and I leave THIS SUNDAY,

Man, when you put it like that! It's so soon!!

Ahhhhhh... in the bubble. Can you picture it?

Why yes. Yes I can.

We have ZERO reservations or plans, other than a hotel reservation the Pelican something-or-rather.

Nice to do it that way, too.
That's how Ruby and I did our Banff trip.
And it worked remarkably well.
Except of course for that bad part.

A little insight into the life of Liesa.

I am accused ALL THE TIME of being "too busy". Whatever. I do what I feel like I need to do.

And that's pretty darned impressive.

Anything for regular traveling. And not always necessarily to Disney.

Unfortunately, you can be a complete idiot and a total ******* and still be a teacher.

Sadly, yep.

I wasn't there at the start, but I hope I helped anyway!

... more than you know.

Man, when you put it like that! It's so soon!!

I know, and now, I think it may be too late to schedule a little fun thing I had wanted to do. I'm still gonna try, but we'll see... (a little pre-trip treat to me)

Nice to do it that way, too.
That's how Ruby and I did our Banff trip.
And it worked remarkably well.

Well, I'm certainly looking forward to hearing about that!

I am accused ALL THE TIME of being "too busy". Whatever. I do what I feel like I need to do.

I feel you should do a trip to WDW.

Anything for regular traveling.

::yes::

And not always necessarily to Disney.

::yes:: ::yes::

... more than you know.

:goodvibes

I know, and now, I think it may be too late to schedule a little fun thing I had wanted to do. I'm still gonna try, but we'll see... (a little pre-trip treat to me)

Sounds intriguing. Hope it works out.

Well, I'm certainly looking forward to hearing about that!

All in due time!

Checking in! You are ahead of the game, starting your TR before your PTR is officially not a PTR anymore! Looking forward to your adventures. Don't you have a wedding coming soon?

I actually live in CO now, but still consider myself an Oregonian. :) My family is all in Southern Oregon still and I go back there a couple times a year. I haven't seen others from Oregon on here - will have to pay more attention!

Hi there! I'm from KFalls, living in Texas now. We still have our son there but most of the fam left after we left. We seem to meet him at Disney or on vacation so don't get back much. Still hoping to move back, our house is still tgere.

I put up with unreasonable instructors (yes, I know the difference between an appropriate amount motivational-putting-the-fear-of-God-into-a-student and just plain disrespect)
That's a major reason why I never want to go back to school. Plus I don't have the drive or motivation.

Only one week left! Two years for me.
:sad2:
Do tell!

I have a general theory that there are basically 2 kinds of people: those who will work for the intrinsic satisfaction of achieving a goal, and those who will finish a task of any size to gain a reward.

I dunno. There is a third category where I seem to fit which is that I trudge along knowing that most likely I will get the prize whether or not I do the task, but only because I have the knowledge that if I don't do it, no one will. I am currently trying the prize approach and it doesn't seem to having a huge effect for me, but maybe when the deadline for the prize gets closer, I'll get motivated.

:goodvibes You're welcome! :grouphug:

I'll give it you you as it is by person.

I'll think of you all as you hit your milestones and where I'll be until I join you!

Anara, Zach and I leave THIS SUNDAY, October 9th where we'll catch a Red Eye out of Seattle.

I have absolutely no "have to's" that day. Which does not mean that I will be sitting around eating bon bons, maybe laundry, dishes, moving, packing....

I am really hoping that we can meet up with eandesmom (Cynthia, no longer on the Boards) for a quick dinner and drink.

I hope you get to meet up with Cynthia before your flight.

But official Disney time starts on the 10th where we'll land around 12:40PM. If all goes as planned, we should be to our resort by 2:00 and get going.

I will think of you landing while I am struggling at the Chiropractor. I hope you get to your resort that quickly, for me it seems to take about two hours, but perhaps AoA has a dedicated bus, whereas I'm usually on a bus that goes to several resorts and mine is always last.

Mikki will catch her own Red Eye (out of Portland) after her classes that day. She'll arrive around 10:00 on Thursday

Another wide open day for me. I suspect I will be hassling Fran to choose clothes for me to pack.

The next person to arrive is my DH on the 16th. He is not taking a night flight, so will arrive around 6:00 that evening.

And just about that time I will be stepping on stage for our concert, the one event that determined our travel date of the 18th.

On the mid-morning of the 18th, Mikki will have to say goodbye

Mid morning to you probably means something different than it does to me, but mid morning west coast time, we will be boarding our flight! :banana:

The next travelers, Anara and Zach will be heading home together into SeaTac on the 20th

By this point we will just be settling in for our second day noshing from the food & Wine kiosks.

Mike and I will be heading down to the Keys (flying from MCO to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami,

Well, which one? :confused3

We'll then travel home on the 24th

I hope you get rest and relaxation on the Keys part of your trip. This is our Strawberry Soup, MK and Trader Sam's day of the trip....

Sounds like you have a good solid plan going, I'm glad that for a brief point in time, mine will overlap with yours!

The procrastinator is here to try to post her guesses (since I have only a few more days left)

Flights -45
one on time -10
all sit together once -10
within half hour -5
you sleep -20

ADR-50
you had to skip one

Drinks- 70
All letters (you give it a heck of a try!) but nope -0
Challenge drinks 4 (you like to get these) -40
3 souvies -30

Shop - all 85

Hidden Mickeys -41

Resorts -10
only one ready
no upgrades:sad1:

Top 10 list -40
4 get completed

Transportation -0
You're not from Canada and Pkondz isn't joining us so something will be longer then 15 min --0
You'll miss one mode-0

Misc -45 & 21?
no blisters -0
someone forgets something (not our Queen!-one of her heirs) -5
Photo with a character -5
MNSSHP-0
Yeehaw -5
Magic -10
2 pools-20
Am I to guess how many mystery photos I'll get later? hopefully with help 21

If I've answered properly with enough info, my grand total would be 386/407

Hi there! I'm from KFalls, living in Texas now. We still have our son there but most of the fam left after we left. We seem to meet him at Disney or on vacation so don't get back much. Still hoping to move back, our house is still tgere.

Nice to "meet" you! I always go back home for Christmas and am trying to make it back each summer also since we can actually do stuff outdoors then without being cold and wet. :rotfl:

How did I not see you started this already? I'm here and joining in now! Sounds like fun.

I have a general theory that there are basically 2 kinds of people: those who will work for the intrinsic satisfaction of achieving a goal, and those who will finish a task of any size to gain a reward.

Hm. What about those of us who are motivated mostly by deadlines? ;) But, I guess I do fall more on the intrinsic satisfaction side.

And, thanks for laying out the timeline. I had definitely lost track of everything along the way! It's hard to believe it is so close now!

For those of you who stuck it out with me for every single exam, all my little mini-celebrations, patted me on the back when I deserved it and kicked me in the butt when I needed it...
I'm always glad to be here for you anytime you need a swift kick in the butt.

You know, it looks like you have timed the "When" very wisely... Seems like Matthew will be gone by the time you arrive. I hope it won't bother anyone else along the East Coast either!!

Just trying to ease into this evening with dinner, my DFIL over, and getting HW out of the way with the kids. But tomorrow is a day off, so I'm planning a late night up (since, I've started my inevitable pre-trip insomnia) to write a few thoughts about Matthew and another alternative (thanks, @mom3sonstt - Tanya) to my extra day dilemma...

More soon, Peeps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter