A simply sensational summer solo trip ~ August '22 edition! Completed 12/17

I checked in at the desk and found that my room had been assigned! I had booked a standard which is a gamle with DVC at Jambo House. You could be assigned a partial savannnah view or a pool view. Well, I got a pool view. The loudest poolview imaginable!
This room would be a big disappointment after leaving your recently remodeled room at GF. We wouldn't like the pool noise at AKL either.
I made a beeline for the safari and was happy to to see there was only a 10 minute wait. It was a glorious morning and the animals were out and active,
The morning safaris are our favorite ones. The animals seem more active then.
I decided to hop on the resort shuttle next and went to check out the gift shop at Kidani. I find they often have a better selection of DVC merchandise there and was able to track down a ball cap I had been looking for.
The AKL gift shops have a lot of unique and interesting things. I just wish it was easier to get there.
Opening to the room, I was delighted to see I had received a partial savannah view! Plus the room was in much better condition.
This is a lovely room. I would want to hang out on the balcony, too. :)
Feeling relaxed and happy, I decided to head out to my favourite place for dinner. I am sure you know where that is..............
I know that you like Geyser Point. But there are a lot of other good ones, too. :)

I got a pool view. The loudest poolview imaginable!
:scared:
Luckily I had a sympathetic CM at the front desk and he agreed to move me
phew! :)
IMG_1563.JPEG

I was thrilled to get a close up visit with my adored giraffes.
Nice and close. ::yes::
. I went for the Marakesh falafel platter (Tabbouleh, Cucumber-Tomato Salad, Hummus, and Tahini Sauce served with Pita Bread). This hit the spot perfectly.
1667643274848.png
That looks really good. Had no idea!
Opening to the room, I was delighted to see I had received a partial savannah view!
:thumbsup2
Rather than rush to a park, I decided to hang on my balcony with candy from the Halloween party, a glass of wine and my book. Here was the Disney zen I had been hoping for.
Man that sounds like heaven. Didn't have a chance to do that when I was there last.
Feeling relaxed and happy, I decided to head out to my favourite place for dinner. I am sure you know where that is..............
ABC Commissary.

:rolleyes1

The AKL gift shops have a lot of unique and interesting things. I just wish it was easier to get there.
It really is a slog to get there unless you are staying at either Jambo or Kidani. Or maybe if you are doing an AK day and decide to have lunch at the AK resorts.
The morning safaris are our favorite ones. The animals seem more active then.
Definitely the best!
This is a lovely room. I would want to hang out on the balcony, too. :)
It really was perfect!
I know that you like Geyser Point. But there are a lot of other good ones, too. :)
Well, I think I went with a tried and true. :goodvibes
I'm so glad you were able to get a new room! <3
Can't wait to hear where you eat dinner!
I was so happy the CM was kind enough to move me.
Dinner at California Grill maybe??
Don't know but I'm excited to find out 😊
Nothing that fancy....actually I am not a big fan of California Grill unless it is for brunch. I really hope they bring that back one day.
That looks really good. Had no idea!
The Mara has some fantastic options. :)
Man that sounds like heaven. Didn't have a chance to do that when I was there last.
Downtime is an absolute necessity for me.
ABC Commissary.
Hahaha! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Real life update!

As many of you know, I am an early childhood educator in kindergarten. In my school board we are represented by CUPE (Canadian Union of Public Employees) and have been without an contract since August 31st. Last Thursday the Ontario government decided to impose a contract on us and declare any job action illegal. You can read all about it here....

https://globalnews.ca/news/9253376/ontario-cupe-education-worker-strike-explained/

To say that things have been stressful is an understatement. We had a getaway weekend planned for some cross border shopping in Buffalo. I decided to go ahead with our plans and was happy to have a change in scenery. I found this cute darling at Box Lunch in the Walden Galleria mall. I will be very happy to use this on our upcoming December trip.
IMG_2038.jpeg
I also picked up some lovely, warm things for the picket line. It looks like we are going to out for a while.
IMG_2037.jpeg
So any happy thoughts you may have to share would be greatly appreciated. We all want to be back in the classroom BUT we also want a fair contract that gives us a living wage.

Back to regularly scheduled programming next!

I found this cute darling at Box Lunch in the Walden Galleria mall. I will be very happy to use this on our upcoming December trip.
This is adorable. I think Christmas at WDW is fun to shop for. :)
We all want to be back in the classroom BUT we also want a fair contract that gives us a living wage.
I really hope they give you a fair contract. Teachers work very hard and should be treated like the professionals that they are.

Last edited:

Sorry to hear you're going through that. Teachers are so vital.

Love your new bag!

Glad you were able to switch rooms. Being right next to the pool is so loud! Definitely could not have sipped an adult beverage and read in silence in that room.

Ugh, I’m sorry you are going through that. We still don’t have a contract and ours expired in June! It is very stressful.
I hope you get the contract you deserve! Why do people like us, teachers and nurses, who work for the greater good and care of all, always have to fight for fair wages and safe staffing!
I’m glad you had some retail therapy and I love the Disney backpack perfect for December!

Nothing that fancy....actually I am not a big fan of California Grill unless it is for brunch.
Funny I’m not really a fan of CG either though I have friends who rave about it and say it’s a must do every trip. I’ve never had brunch there so maybe someday I’ll get to try that.
I am an early childhood educator in kindergarten.
Such an important role. Both my mum and my sister worked in early childhood education. The job you do is so vital and yet so undervalued by those in power. Makes me so mad 😡
To say that things have been stressful is an understatement. We had a getaway weekend planned for some cross border shopping in Buffalo.
I’m so sorry you’re going through this. My eldest two kids are teachers and as of tomorrow they ( along with their union) are taking “all action short of strike” in an effort to get a decent pay check. Why governments treat people who work in vocational fields such as education/nursing so badly is beyond me. You are so vital for all of us. I hope things are resolved quickly and positively.
I also picked up some lovely, warm things for the picket line. It looks like we are going to out for a while.
I like that you got some lovely things and hope that you don’t need them for the picket line for too long and can just enjoy them for fun.
So any happy thoughts you may have to share would be greatly appreciated. We all want to be back in the classroom BUT we also want a fair contract that gives us a living wage.
Sending positive vibes your way :hug:
I hope you get the contract you deserve! Why do people like us, teachers and nurses, who work for the greater good and care of all, always have to fight for fair wages and safe staffing!
It’s not fair and it’s not right! I really think governments take advantage of those that work in caring professions and think that because you value what you do they can get away without remunerating you properly. Wishing you both every success in achieving the contract you and your colleagues so deserve.

Last edited:
This is adorable. I think Christmas at WDW is fun to shop for. :)
Disney Christmas is the best!
I really hope they give you a fair contract. Teachers work very hard and should be treated likje the professionals that they are.
Thanks Sue! As of today they rescinded the legislation passed last week and are back at the bargaining table tomorrow. We still don't have a contract but hopefully they will come to the table with a reasonable offer.
Following!
Thanks for joining in and :welcome:
I'm so sorry you're having to go through this!! This teacher is standing with you! :lovestruc
Thanks so much Jackie! I appreciate your support.:goodvibes
Sorry to hear you're going through that. Teachers are so vital.
Thanks Alicia. Luckily all the big unions threw their support behind us and the government got scared. So now they are willing to come back to the bargaining table effective tomorrow. We will see what happend next.
Love your new bag!
Thank you! Me too! :)
Glad you were able to switch rooms. Being right next to the pool is so loud! Definitely could not have sipped an adult beverage and read in silence in that room.
That room would have been fine for a family with young children but definitely not for an adult solo trip.
Ugh, I’m sorry you are going through that. We still don’t have a contract and ours expired in June! It is very stressful.
I am so sorry to hear you are going through the same thing Caroline. It is awful!
Honestly, I think it is because the workforce is largely women and work done by women, especially in the caring professions, is so undervalued.
I’m glad you had some retail therapy and I love the Disney backpack perfect for December!
Retail therapy is always fun and I also got some Christmas gifts crossed off my list. I was SO excited to find that backpack for our December trip! Not much longer now!

Funny I’m not really a fan of CG either though I have friends who rave about it and say it’s a must do every trip. I’ve never had brunch there so maybe someday I’ll get to try that.
I had one amazing meal at CG back in 2009 and then an iffy meal on my first solo trip in 2016. Bill and I loved the brunch on our anniversary trip in 2019.Then it was a sub par experience with Jack and I were there in 2021. So now I am kind of over it tbh.
Such an important role. Both my mum and my sister worked in early childhood education. The job you do is so vital and yet so undervalued by those in power. Makes me so mad 😡
It's so often that the "pink" professions are looked down upon, especially in a caring role.
I’m so sorry you’re going through this. My eldest two kids are teachers and as of tomorrow they ( along with their union) are taking “all action short of strike” in an effort to get a decent pay check. Why governments treat people who work in vocational fields such as education/nursing so badly is beyond me. You are so vital for all of us. I hope things are resolved quickly and positively.
I am so sorry to hear your two are going through the same difficult time. What is wrong with the world when those of us in education and health care have to fight for every little scrap from the table?
I like that you got some lovely things and hope that you don’t need them for the picket line for too long and can just enjoy them for fun.
Awww, thank you Moira! Negotiations are back on as of tomorrow but I am afraid we are still a long way from a contract!

Honestly, I think it is because the workforce is largely women and work done by women, especially in the caring professions, is so undervalued.
Unfortunately I think you are right 😞
I am so sorry to hear your two are going through the same difficult time. What is wrong with the world when those of us in education and health care have to fight for every little scrap from the table?
Thanks Susan. In truth it’s not so bad for my son as he’s still living at home and has no dependants though he would love to buy his own home and there’s no chance of that at his current income. Much more difficult for my daughter who is a special needs teacher and who’s husband also works in education. It takes one of their wages just to pay for the baby’s crèche fees. I really think one of them would have to leave work if I wasn’t there to mind the oldest after school. What a shame that someone who loves their job would have to give it up because of an inadequate wage especially when there’s such a shortage of early years educators, teachers and classroom aides
Awww, thank you Moira! Negotiations are back on as of tomorrow but I am afraid we are still a long way from a contract!
Crossing my fingers for a positive outcome 🤞

The Mara has some fantastic options. :)
Hello, it has zebra domes!! :hyper:
Downtime is an absolute necessity for me.
Must try that some day.
So... that's a no?

;)
In my school board we are represented by CUPE (Canadian Union of Public Employees) and have been without an contract since August 31st. Last Thursday the Ontario government decided to impose a contract on us and declare any job action illegal.
Last I heard Ford was sitting down again with CUPE, so hopefully something better will come of it.

Thanks Susan. In truth it’s not so bad for my son as he’s still living at home and has no dependants though he would love to buy his own home and there’s no chance of that at his current income. Much more difficult for my daughter who is a special needs teacher and who’s husband also works in education. It takes one of their wages just to pay for the baby’s crèche fees. I really think one of them would have to leave work if I wasn’t there to mind the oldest after school. What a shame that someone who loves their job would have to give it up because of an inadequate wage especially when there’s such a shortage of early years educators, teachers and classroom aides
It's so hard for the young people. How can they get a start in life with the cost of everything these days?They are so lucky to have your support. When my three were small it made no financial sense for me to go back to work full time as it would have cost more in fees than I made! I've been in the early years for 34 years and I love what I do. I just wish my job came with a liveable wage!
Crossing my fingers for a positive outcome 🤞
Thank you so much!
Hello, it has zebra domes!! :hyper:
Which I can't eat. Silly anaphylactic nut allergies. :(
Must try that some day.
I have no idea how you do parks open to close. I tried that once and it just wasn't for me. I really need that mid day break, especially in the summer.
Last I heard Ford was sitting down again with CUPE, so hopefully something better will come of it.
Yes, they were back at the table yesterday morning. I am finding the misinformation in the media frustrating. At this point I feel like a ping pong ball being bounced around between the union and the government. Honestly all I want is to do my job and get paid a fair wage for it.

Yes, they were back at the table yesterday morning. I am finding the misinformation in the media frustrating. At this point I feel like a ping pong ball being bounced around between the union and the government. Honestly all I want is to do my job and get paid a fair wage for it.
I sure hope they get this thing resolved (and in CUPE's favour) soon.

A delicious dinner and fun at MK!

Well I have to say I am a creature of habit and that no Disney trip is complee for me without a visit to my beloved Wilderness Lodge.
IMG_1590.JPEG
My "home away from home"!

So if you guessed Geyser Point for dinner tonight, you would be correct!
IMG_1591.JPEG
I settled in at the bar where I was very happy to see Josh working. Josh is one of the best bartenders at Disney with quite a generous pour! I decided to go with my tried and true favourite, The Cascade Sangria (Tito's Handmade Vodka, Black Cherry, Lime Juice and Orange Juice topped with Columbia Crest H3 Merlot).
68316065416__D26DAA23-9313-46A2-B9FE-2D0B221B9803.jpeg
For dinner I enjoyed my beloved Roasted Salmon (Served over Warm Ancient Grains, Petit Greens, Grilled Vegetables, and Lemon Vinaigrette). You can be sure I was a happy member of the clean plate club!
IMG_1595.JPEG
I had plans for dessert at Magic Kingdom so I enjoyed a beautiful stroll along the Boardwalk before heading over to MK on the resort launch. Is there anything better than being on Bay Lake at night?

Arriving at MK, I made a beeline for Aloha Isle where I ordered the pineapple upside down cake with a pineapple/coconut swirl. This was perfection and I thoroughly enjoyed it while watching the Enchanted Tiki Room.
IMG_1597.JPEG

Next up was the People Mover!
IMG_1600.JPEG

I watched the fireworks, did a little shopping and got some photos on Main Street. It was a perfect, low key evening!
IMG_1819.JPG

IMG_1820.JPG

I headed back to AKL as I had a busy day planned the next day with a super fun Dismeet to look forward to! That's next!

I settled in at the bar where I was very happy to see Josh working. Josh is one of the best bartenders at Disney with quite a generous pour! I decided to go with my tried and true favourite, The Cascade Sangria
Josh is really nice. The Cascade Sangria looks delicious. I am always looking for something good and I don't know how I missed this one.

My favorite entree was the smoked turkey sandwich, which they haven't been able to serve for months because the supplier's business burned down. I really miss it, but the salmon is a good choice for now.

Is there anything better than being on Bay Lake at night?
The boat is one of the best things about visiting, or staying at, WL. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter