A Private, Romantic 30th Anniversary Trip- Just Ask My Friends! Last Afternoon: EP p. 37 9/19

First Time at Food & Wine

We rode the monorail into EPCOT and as usual, I snapped a few pictures as we got our sneak preview of the park:

DSCF0953.jpg

DSCF0954.jpg

DSCF0955.jpg

DSCF0956.jpg

DSCF0957.jpg

DSCF0958.jpg

DSCF0959.jpg

DSCF0961.jpg

DSCF0962.jpg

We entered the park and stopped for a picture at the Food & Wine display at the front of the park. We waited behind for our turn, and this time, not one but two different groups tried to cut us when it was our turn.

Once again, the photographer recognized that we had been waiting, and called us over:

EPCOT_ECENTR2_20161018_7833958581.jpeg

EPCOT_ECENTR2_20161018_7833958584.jpeg

EPCOT_ECENTR2_20161018_7833958585.jpeg

This was a very appropriate backdrop for our pictures since we were about to have our first experience with the Food & Wine Festival.

So… which way to go? Left to Mexico or Right to Canada?

We chose to go left since that would take us around more of the World Showcase before making it back to the International Gateway entrance to the resort.

The first stop we made was while we were still in the Showcase Plaza. We selected the Grilled sweet and spicy bush berry shrimp with pineapple, onion and snap peas from Australia.

To go along with it, we got Frozen Mocha and an iced tea from the Joffrey’s stand.

DSCF0963.jpg

We thought this was good, not great and didn’t quite live up to the enticing description. I would rate it a solid B.

We continued on our way, past Mexico and China to our next stop.

DSCF0966.jpg

DSCF0967.jpg

DSCF0968.jpg

At the South Korean booth, we selected Korean BBQ beef short rib with steamed rice and cucumber kimchi.

DSCF0970.jpg

This was the view from our table as we nibbled.

DSCF0971.jpg

The cucumber kimchi was a non-spicy pickled cucumber, which is good, because the one time I had authentic kimchi I didn’t like it.

I would rate this dish an A-.

Just beyond there, we hit up Africa for Butter Chicken with Naan Bread

DSCF0973.jpg

DSCF0974.jpg

The bread was dry and the entrée was not quite as exotically spiced as I would have liked. B-

We still had another food booth to visit, but first, we stopped to get a souvenir celebrating our 30th anniversary.

Next Up: I Picked a Winner

I'd love to do Food & Wine sometime, but have never made it.

The cucumber kimchi was a non-spicy pickled cucumber, which is good, because the one time I had authentic kimchi I didn’t like it.

We buy kimchi from a Korean grocery store in a big glass jar, that is probably 1.5 to 2 gallons. We go through it in probably 3 months. My son and I eat it on hamburgers...I haven't had ketchup/mustard in a long time. They're sooo good with kimchi. Judy mixes it into her quinoa. It's a taste you have to get used to though, no doubt.

Oh my goodness I love your picture with Olaf :goodvibes
The monorail shots are great I never think to take photos while riding the monorail probably because we're usually packed in like sardines :crowded:

All the food looks so good it's getting me excited for the F & G booths :thumbsup2

I love your yellow tee shirt. It is a good color for you. ::yes::

All your food pictures make the food look good. It puts me in the mood to hit the food kiosks at Flower and Garden later this month. :)

Yay update, I think we passed on Australia. New Zealand though YUMMMM

You have had great luck with photographers~You two look so happy and relaxed :)

Great pictures from the monorail with your "sneak preview of Epcot". I always enjoy that part of the ride checking out the crowds and the future world areas. Then the elongated walk down the platform and around the corner to enter the park. Nice update!

Great update. I also like the food- grading:thumbsup2
You and Mark look like a couple of honeymooners- happiness radiates from your photos :love:
Can't wait for more :goodvibes

Last edited:
We rode the monorail into EPCOT and as usual, I snapped a few pictures as we got our sneak preview of the park

Seeing your pictures of Spaceship Earth gave me butterflies! So excited to be back in September!! Lovely pictures, really enjoying your trip report, sounds like you two had so much fun.

We waited behind for our turn, and this time, not one but two different groups tried to cut us when it was our turn.

This is so awkward, I hate when this happens - as a Brit it makes me seethe, we love a good queuing system ;) But we're also good at speaking up lol

I love your pictures with the Food & Wine display!

Sounds like a decent start to your Food & Wine experience. The pictures look yummy, and I'm glad that some of the food was good (even if there were no A+ dishes ... yet).

I'd love to do Food & Wine sometime, but have never made it.

We buy kimchi from a Korean grocery store in a big glass jar, that is probably 1.5 to 2 gallons. We go through it in probably 3 months. My son and I eat it on hamburgers...I haven't had ketchup/mustard in a long time. They're sooo good with kimchi. Judy mixes it into her quinoa. It's a taste you have to get used to though, no doubt.

Well, this was our first time! I hope there is some Food & Wine in your future!!!

The only time I have had kimchi was some homemade stuff that a Korean waitress I worked with made and shared with me. I brought it over to sample with my dad, who served in Korea. Both of us are adventurous eaters, not much we won't try, but it was tough to get past the smell when we opened the jar. I think I tried a bite or two and It.Was.NOT.Good!

I would probably try again, someday. I have heard good things about the kimchi hotdog at F&W, but there were too many other things we wanted to try.

::yes::

Oh my goodness I love your picture with Olaf :goodvibes
The monorail shots are great I never think to take photos while riding the monorail probably because we're usually packed in like sardines :crowded:

All the food looks so good it's getting me excited for the F & G booths :thumbsup2

I liked that Photopass spot.

These were some of the best pictures I have gotten from the monorail going through EPCOT both on the first day of our trip and on this ride.

I love having little samples of food. I think the biggest thing I had found so far is that nothing was quite exotic enough for me. If I'm eating food from different countries, I want it to be different than what I normally eat.

I look forward to hearing about what you like from the booths at F&G.

:goodvibes

Great photos!

Oh food shots... Now I am hungry... Someday I will make it to Food and Wine.

Sorry about that!

It is approaching lunch time for me right now so I know what you mean.

Unfortunately, I'm thinking you don't have any fall breaks from school, so it may be a little while before you can get away for Food & Wine.

My son Ben loves to eat and Food & Wine is what he would like to do most at Disney now.

:rotfl:

I love your yellow tee shirt. It is a good color for you. ::yes::

All your food pictures make the food look good. It puts me in the mood to hit the food kiosks at Flower and Garden later this month. :)

Thank you! That is a good observation. Yellow is not one of my favorite colors- I like blue and earth tones- it is a complimentary color for me when I wear it. This is a fun vacation shirt with the flip flops.

Let me know what you like at the Flower and Garden booths!

:thumbsup2

Ditto to this!!!
Even if I don't post I'm reading.

Good to have you here, as you get ready for your upcoming trip!

Love the update!!! :)

Thank you!!!

Love having you back on the DIS, just like the old days.

:hug:

Your food all looks yummy. I like that you are grading each dish for us!

We didn't have anything that was terrible, but there were few things that were outstanding. There was one thing that we ended up getting twice and if you have followed along in my past adventures (which I know you have), you will know it when you see it!!!

:magnify:

Yay update, I think we passed on Australia. New Zealand though YUMMMM

You have had great luck with photographers~You two look so happy and relaxed :)

I just looked up the offerings in New Zealand- Lamb Meatball with Spicy Tomato Chutney, Seared Venison Loin with Wild Mushroom Marsala and Kamara Dumpling and Steamed Green Lip Mussels with Garlic Butter.

That all sounds awesome!

What did you get/like?

Yes, we were very relaxed and having a wonderful time!

::yes:: :love: :hug:

Great pictures from the monorail with your "sneak preview of Epcot". I always enjoy that part of the ride checking out the crowds and the future world areas. Then the elongated walk down the platform and around the corner to enter the park. Nice update!

Thank you!

It did not look too bad crowd-wise from above. We didn't have long waits at the food booths we stopped at either and we were always able to get a table to enjoy our snacks.

:thumbsup2

Great update. I also like the food- grading:thumbsup2
You and Mark look like a couple of honeymooners- happiness radiates from your photos :love:
Can't wait for more :goodvibes

Thank you!

I'll keep the grading up, although I'm sure the longer the time passes, the more I will forget how much we liked each thing we tried.

It was such a nice trip together. This was only the second vacation we had taken together without the kid since Nate was born and we savored every moment!

Seeing your pictures of Spaceship Earth gave me butterflies! So excited to be back in September!! Lovely pictures, really enjoying your trip report, sounds like you two had so much fun.

This is so awkward, I hate when this happens - as a Brit it makes me seethe, we love a good queuing system ;) But we're also good at speaking up lol

Thank you, glad you are enjoying coming along on the trip.

You will have such a great time in September. I wish you the same kind of weather we had during our trip.

The people trying to cut in line were really annoying, but I am good at paying attention to what is going on around me and I was able to predict in advance what they were trying to do.

:rotfl2:

I love your pictures with the Food & Wine display!

Sounds like a decent start to your Food & Wine experience. The pictures look yummy, and I'm glad that some of the food was good (even if there were no A+ dishes ... yet).

We love sampling food and we are not fussy diners at all. So many things sounded great to us. One thing I am noticing is that we tended to choose things that could be considered on the healthier side of the menu. I prefer not to have things that are overly creamy or fatty.

Although I do have a sweet tooth, especially for chocolate. Let's see if we can take care of that in the next update!

:cool2:

Last edited:
I just looked up the offerings in New Zealand- Lamb Meatball with Spicy Tomato Chutney, Seared Venison Loin with Wild Mushroom Marsala and Kamara Dumpling and Steamed Green Lip Mussels with Garlic Butter.

That all sounds awesome!

What did you get/like?

Yes, we were very relaxed and having a wonderful time!

::yes:: :love: :hug:
I became addicted to the mussels! I also tried the meatball. But the mussels were my favorite. Two weeks until we go back :hug:

I became addicted to the mussels! I also tried the meatball. But the mussels were my favorite. Two weeks until we go back :hug:

We love mussels and cook them here often. The boys really like them and they are one of the more reasonably-priced items at the seafood counter. Glad to hear they are great at EPCOT, wish we had tried them!

We love mussels and cook them here often. The boys really like them and they are one of the more reasonably-priced items at the seafood counter. Glad to hear they are great at EPCOT, wish we had tried them!

I've never had them breaded, I am sure they will be back for your next F&W visit ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!