A Man Called Otto, starring Tom Hanks

Saw it, and definitely was not sickening sweet.

Tom Hanks is one of my favorite actors, and I did enjoy the movie. However, it is not in the top favorite Hanks movies.

Good point. I only say that because it's a noticeably smaller production than many of his other Hollywood films. His name was definitely the draw for the film. He was paid $20 Million, the rest of the cast was considerably less (the next highest paid was to the actress who played Marisol at $800K). Hanks' typical pay for each film is $25M.

He has taken home less before, like $15M for Captain Philips, and that had a higher budget. I could also recognize more of the cast of Captain Philips, unlike Otto- many of them where new to me. I also saw Captain Philips recently, and that was enjoyable. Hanks' best performance was the final act, IMO.
It is smaller. The production company (it was produced by Hanks's own company, I believe) did well to pony up the big bucks to hire him at his desired rate.

I made the mistake of watching this movie on one of our plane rides to WDW without any tissues packed! 😳 I thought it was really well done, but yes, some parts were incredibly sad. Perhaps some personalities might not have seen the humor and sweetness in it, but we thought it was overall a really good movie. I cried so much and was definitely a mess getting off the plane. 🥴

I made the mistake of watching this movie on one of our plane rides to WDW
I watched it on the plane to Aulani! It's def worth a look, you do get kinda jerked around from funny to sad, but it was a good way to kill some time on a long flight.

It was my 2nd movie in a row watching Hanks play the old grumpy alone guy planning to die (see Finch), so maybe if his acting and the role had been fresher, I'd have liked it more.

But, for me, it's okay. Glad I watched it free. Would have been annoyed if I paid for the movie. Not sure why they didn't end at the hospital scene for a more feel-good ending...

His name was definitely the draw for the film. He was paid $20 Million, the rest of the cast was considerably less (the next highest paid was to the actress who played Marisol at $800K). Hanks' typical pay for each film is $25M.

My thought: because Tom Hanks was in the movie, the work of those other actors was seen by a larger audience. I like that he helps to bring other actors to the spotlight.

I made the mistake of watching this movie on one of our plane rides to WDW without any tissues packed! 😳 I thought it was really well done, but yes, some parts were incredibly sad. Perhaps some personalities might not have seen the humor and sweetness in it, but we thought it was overall a really good movie. I cried so much and was definitely a mess getting off the plane. 🥴
Same! Worst airplane movie pic ever. Tried to hold it together so badly!

I just finished the audio book. I enjoyed it although I admit that I disliked the first couple of chapters. It sounded too much like my DH on his grumpy days. 😂 I’m looking forward to seeing the movie.

I would watch Tom Hanks reading the funny papers, LOL.
It's not the comics, but Hanks thought this New York Times article was a knee slapper.
Look!
42AAE74400000578-4728140-Doing_his_research_With_his_hair_combed_back_to_match_his_counte-a-2_1500986767425.jpg

I liked it. Thought it was a good human story. Nice to see Tom’s son Truman as the younger Otto.
I didn't know until Wiki'ing the movie afterwards that this was his son. I had no clue he had more than two sons!

It reminded me of when I was watching Overlord in the theater and kept thinking "this guy looks like Kurt Russel", and sure enough, it was his son, Wyatt.

Other actor kids of famous actors:
Dakota Johnson- never knew she was related to Melanie Griffith and Don Johnson until I was told about it. Then, you can't stop seeing the resemblance to both parents.
Clint Eastwood's son- you can tell immediately who he's related to.

Hanks has a new book out too. I'm not plugging Tom Hanks' work, nor am I secretly Tom Hanks.

Edit: Hi, I'm Tom Hanks. Go see my movies and read my books. That Thing You Do? That was a Thing I Did.
I love That Thing You Do!. A real love letter to that time period in America.

I also love the other movie Hanks directed, Larry Crowne. Great movie if you ever need a pick-me-up. And a great cast: Julia Roberts, Bryan Cranston, Pam Grier, Taraji P. Henson, Cedric The Entertainer, Wilmer Valerrama, etc. And George Takei! Only 37% on Rotten Tomatoes, but I don't care: I'll ride or die with Larry Crowne.

Really liked A Man Called Otto, too. Faithful to the original but different enough that it was interesting.

I love That Thing You Do!. A real love letter to that time period in America.

I also love the other movie Hanks directed, Larry Crowne. Great movie if you ever need a pick-me-up. And a great cast: Julia Roberts, Bryan Cranston, Pam Grier, Taraji P. Henson, Cedric The Entertainer, Wilmer Valerrama, etc. And George Takei! Only 37% on Rotten Tomatoes, but I don't care: I'll ride or die with Larry Crowne.

Really liked A Man Called Otto, too. Faithful to the original but different enough that it was interesting.
I also really liked That Thing You Do. I know Hanks is a big collector of old 45's and loves that era of music. I wonder if Forrest Gump winning the Oscar was what gave him the pull to direct That Thing.

I'll have to watch Larry Crowne!

Another Hanks flick currently on Netflix that I highly recommend is Charlie Wilson's War, also starring Julia Roberts. I was not interested when the movie first came out, but I gave it a chance and was surprised by how much I liked it. Great dialogue too, thanks to Aaron Sorkin. Phillip Seymour Hoffman was amazing in it, easily one of the best parts he's played.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!