A Heat Wave, some Blips, and some Roundabout Waze: A First Time DLR/CA Trip Report 8/25-9/3! (UPDATED AND CONCLUDED 11/22)

I also loved the insertion of the new scenes from Coco on the Philharmagic attraction. When I went, there were so few people in the theater in on September 1st. I remember when it launched at WDW, it was always packed.

I wish I had tried more dining options at the parks or Downtown Disney.

I also loved the insertion of the new scenes from Coco on the Philharmagic attraction. When I went, there were so few people in the theater in on September 1st. I remember when it launched at WDW, it was always packed.

I wish I had tried more dining options at the parks or Downtown Disney.
100% we just missed WDW putting it in last year so we were very happy!

While we also wished we ate more options in the park, we were very pleased with what we did try! I even know people who now are trying for Ralph Brennan’s as opposed to blue bayou or Cafe Orleans because of my parents and I having high reviews for it!

Day 8: September 1st: KNOTT’S BERRY FARM AND GARDEN WALK ANAHEIM

WARNING: This was not a good day. I have been trying to figure out how to type this up, as an isolated incident set the day off on the wrong foot (the very wrong foot). I’ve literally written and rewritten this dozens of times. I know I try not to be negative, but I also try to be honest. Mods please let me know if I need to change anything.

Holy smokes it’s September 1st. How did that happen! And the heat wave to quote In The Heights “goes on and on”. We woke up a little later and decided on Panera for breakfast (we almost did McDonalds but my dad and I wanted oatmeal lol).

After that we made the quick 15 minute drive to where Knotts is.

02279CDE-725F-48B0-B277-D7A1E4B8F456.jpeg

We parked and walked by the market area and TGI Fridays and you can tell they were still in a weird state of shock post the fight earlier this summer. Signs about chaperones for anyone under 18 after a certain time on the weekends were everywhere, and it sort of loomed over everything. We knew we had to do Knotts either today or Monday as we had gotten weekday tickets, but we didn’t know how much that would bite us in the behinds.

We headed towards Ghosttown as that’s where the ECV rental was and my mom was happy they offered ones with canopies. I got on line for Ghost Rider (the wooden coaster) and it was listed 10 minutes. My parents went off to find a place to sit and some water and I went on line.

If what I’m about to say isn’t allowed, mods please let me know-you guys are truly the best and I want to be honest but also respect the rules. Now I’ve mentioned before I don’t like to get negative or political or anything heated on here. It’s happened maybe once or twice on here in all my years on the boards. I respect others have different experiences, that their opinions are shaped by those experiences, and that opinions will always be different. I am also someone who will do my best to defend your right to practice whatever religion you want, say what you want, print in the press what you want etc. so much as you don’t attempt to force your beliefs on me and others. That’s the beauty of our constitution. I don’t have to agree with you, but I will make sure you can say and print and worship whatever you please. And I find it very frustrating when there are others out there that don’t agree with that in some way shape or form.

Whilst on line for ghost rider, for some reason they weren’t seating single riders with others at ride/park open. Cool whatever I can respect that. This is important in just a little bit.

I’m at the merge point when said incident starts. While on line, a family of five (mom, dad and 3 kids) start talking about me, how my family (especially male members) should be ashamed for letting me ride alone AND for what I was wearing ( spoiler: long shorts, Snoopy t shirt and sketchers sneakers). And some other things regarding me with everything from religion to politics that I am not going to post here.

Friends I am a fully grown woman with a Bachelors degree. Those comments set me off. I don’t think I’ve ever been more angry in my life. This family continued their very loud comments about myself and others (that I will again definitely not be repeating here) and I was not happy.

We were seated rather quickly (2-3 minutes) after they started talking about myself and others. Our train was to be the first that single riders would have other single or uneven group numbered humans ride with them (told you this would be important). I was placed in the second row and this family of five whose parents were saying all these things had one of them being told to sit next to me. The kids weren’t allowed to sit next to me (the reasons they gave were all similar to the sentiments they said earlier) and they were causing issues with the employees. The dad finally relented and sat with another single rider towards the back. I was spewing anger at this point. The employees I could also tell were not happy with them and were just trying to get everyone on the ride safely.

The ride begins and it honestly was a fun wooden coaster. I managed to catch a couple people they were also talking about, apologized for not saying anything to them earlier, and they were very understanding and we wished each other a good day.

I also want everyone to know that I don’t blame the Knotts employees for this. This was an isolated incidents and they were focused on their jobs and safety of the guests.

I’m going to split this into two parts but I won’t leave you hanging. And again mods let me know if I need to edit anything. I did my best.

And please be kind and respectful to one another. 💜

Last edited:
Day 8 Part 2: September 1st: KNOTT’S BERRY FARM AND GARDEN WALK ANAHEIM

I met up with my parents still spewing. My parents were not happy they commented on what I was wearing given a)I’m an adult and b)it was in no way revealing. To calm me down we walked around the stores and stables in ghost town. I love horses and seeing people actually working on skilled trades. I was still angry, but walking around and doing these things cleared my head.
663D0531-F945-4480-A31F-0FCC4C41C354.jpeg

0A9725A6-92CF-4562-8D90-6DEB694AB64E.jpeg

We then went in search of something my mom

could ride. The app was showing a lot of rides not operational and I was very confused. It wasn’t off season, they hadn’t closed anything off for Scary Farm as the Summer Nights event areas were still up. There was no mention of rides being down on the app or on boards or vocally said over speakers minus what was posted for refurb (the fiesta section). We were very confused.

We eventually found the mine train. It took multiple employees and humans to tell us where the exit was which was the entrance for ECV. However, by the time I got my mom to tell her where to go, no one was there to operate the key for the elevator. After waiting five minutes my dad told me to just come down and we would wait in the standby as it was only five minutes. Well that ended up being 10 as they went to get another train going. We eventually get on and it’s a historical ride people should experience, but it wasn’t thrilling or anything, just some animatronics in a mine. Searching for gold. It smelled like the 1950s lol. I imagine for scary farm when humans are in there scaring you it is a lot more fun.

We get off and my dad suggest we go on the log flume while my mom goes to find popcorn and water as it’s now after 11. I must say this log flume was fun and refreshing on a hot day. Not as intense as Dudley Do Rights in UOR, but I’d say just as long. We get off and meet my mom to figure out our next course of action. We go and play a few games in the Boardwalk section and see only a couple more rides operating. My dad says “let’s get lunch and then go from there as it’s after noon”.

DBE8B603-095D-4552-8547-797D3FC3F388.jpeg

I must say the food is one thing they do right. Keith and The Try Guys (not you N**-PS if anyone is good at photoshop and wants to get N** out of the picture I have with them I’d greatly appreciate it) were right to do an eat the venue video there. Even stuff with the boysenberry flavoring wasn’t that strong and just enough to give it a hint of sweetness. We all split two platters: one with boysenberry meatballs and Mac and cheese and another with pulled pork and potato wedges and some cornbread. It was very good and very filling. I’m just mad I didn’t get pictures of it.

We then decided to head around the park. Now we knew the fiesta section was under slight refurbishment, but it was almost 1 pm and barely any rides were operating. We had food areas closed, barely any employees knowing what to do. It was sad.

We made it to Camp Snoopy and when we found out not even all those rides were operating and that was the reason the line to meet Snoopy was so long, we decided to head out. I immediately contacted one of my best friends who lives literally an hour from Cedar Point (the same cedar who owns Knotts and other parks including Dorney which is the one I’m closest to) and vented our frustration. He was beyond shocked. Even he couldn’t find any information regarding why operations were the way they were.

We stopped in the Peanuts store in Camp Snoopy (it’s refreshing to see adults all freak out in a good way over Snoopy lol) and then decided it was time to head out.

50A6F49F-D786-49C6-B746-6CFC30438D57.jpeg

We let my mom return the scooter and headed out to peruse the stores on the way back to our rental car. No one could tell us if they could ship from the store, and we kept getting mixed answers even from management. We admitted defeat and left by 2 pm.

I was beyond upset and deemed this day an abysmal day and told my parents they needed to call whichever one of the employee discount sites we got those tickets from and either get a full/partial refund or credit to whatever we purchase next from the discount site. My mom agreed immediately and started figuring out a script of what to say. No one had answers, accessibility was non existent and things were closed and we were told it was an off season day even though it didn’t close for the season for a couple more days were among what was said. Last I heard they were working on the refund.

While exiting we saw their “water park” across
the street. After researching it and also it being over 100 degrees, we knew it would have also been a bust.

We got back to the hotel and napped.

When we woke up we were trying to figure out dinner and I mentioned the Garden Walk. We headed out and that’s how we discovered those hotels we faced were near there. Garden Walk is really beautiful and if you can’t find something to eat there for everyone that’s on you. We decided on PF Chang’s and it was very good.

829AA2B6-AF11-4C84-8DFE-9CCE2BC3FBC2.jpeg

We then tried to hit up Joe’s again for Italian ice, but they were packed and while cold stone was good we didn’t want to lay the prices again. So I googled ice cream and discovered a Baskin Robbins five minutes away. We headed there, then back to the hotel where we indulged in our cold treats, showered and went to bed.

We couldn’t believe it was going to be our last day in CA the next day.

I'm sorry about your experience at Knott's Berry Farm. I didn't love the park. the 2 biggest rides were down, I found the water ride very weak...

It was also very warm on the day we went there, so we ended up leaving after 3 hours and going to the water park on the other side of the road....

I'm sorry about your experience at Knott's Berry Farm. I didn't love the park. the 2 biggest rides were down, I found the water ride very weak...

It was also very warm on the day we went there, so we ended up leaving after 3 hours and going to the water park on the other side of the road....
I didn’t love the park either and I wanted to so bad. We were maybe there 3 hours as well.

Obviously my isolated incident aside, something is up with ops there. No other Cedar park I know of is that bad.

People are so rude! I'm sure that if you didn't have all of the park issues you could have let their comments go, but one thing after another can make your day not so fun.

Also, thank you for this trip report! I've been waiting for these updates!

. While on line, a family of five (mom, dad and 3 kids) start talking about me, how my family (especially male members) should be ashamed for letting me ride alone AND for what I was wearing ( spoiler: long shorts, Snoopy t shirt and sketchers sneakers). And some other things regarding me with everything from religion to politics that I am not going to post here.
I'm sorry that happened! That family is disgusting and they should be ashamed of themselves. That would make anyone's day bad.
I was beyond upset and deemed this day an abysmal day
Wow and everything with the park too. I'd also be asking for a refund!

People are so rude! I'm sure that if you didn't have all of the park issues you could have let their comments go, but one thing after another can make your day not so fun.

Also, thank you for this trip report! I've been waiting for these updates!
EXACTLY! It was one thing after another!

We were telling family the other day what a waste it was except for the food. And for a Cedar establishment this was shocking!

You’re welcome! I’m sorry it’s been taking me forever to update but unfortunately between work and my theatre company and everything else I got my hands tied! Hoping to wrap it up sometime in the next week! Which is also sad cuz that means I’m reliving the sad memories of leaving an amazing vacation all over again lol!

I'm sorry that happened! That family is disgusting and they should be ashamed of themselves. That would make anyone's day bad.

Wow and everything with the park too. I'd also be asking for a refund!
Raeven it was horrible! I felt so bad for those kids because they are being subject to this definitely more at home. I could not even imagine saying that to anyone let alone with kids around! Again I am willing to defend your rights for anything but that doesn’t mean you force your opinions/religion/thoughts/whatever on me. I am my own human.

You should’ve seen the cousin I’m closest to the other night as I was telling her the story (first time I had seen her since the trip). She was getting redder and redder and more angrier by the second.

Yep still working on the refund-because we got it through an employee discount site it’s taking a little longer but it’s definitely one we are asking for. It’s one thing for a refurb which we totally understand but when a)almost nothing is operating even after lunch and b)no one has answers it can be very frustrating.

We really wanted to love Knotts-but it turned out to be something we are actively telling people to stay away from.

Day 9 Part 1: September 2nd: DLR aka our final day!

We did wake up to rope drop again but good news was on one of the longer waits the other day I managed to snag a 9:30 breakfast reservation at Carnation Cafe. So while we rope dropped, we weren’t concerned about full blown doing everything.

We entered, got my mom her ECV and headed right to the holiday store by Plaza Inn to purchase ornaments and personalize them. We then did window shopping and decided to head to Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln.

ABC42ECE-0957-43F9-BA86-341D476C7364.jpeg
We are obsessed with this diorama in the lobby to Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln!

We were going to have a private showing as barely anyone was there, but it had some technical difficulties. We had a lovely conversation with the CM, Jason, and walked around the exhibition part a bit more and told him we’d be back later.

032DD408-0F17-48ED-842B-08D710E2DD54.jpeg
Love this picture of the Sherman Brothers!

We eventually walked into some mild chaos as all the fab seven had debuted their Halloween outfits this day! However, characters are so much better done here than in WDW it didn’t seem chaotic minus having to make sure we didn’t run into or over another human or for some reason Chip who we kept coming upon.

We made some purchases at Disneyana and those CMs were saints because my parents kept finding more things to add to our purchase and ship home.

By the time we were done there it was 9:15 and we headed back up main street to make it to Carnation Cafe. Sometime after checking in, I snagged a 10:50 LL for Haunted Mansion Holiday. We were seated and ordered our food but our original waitress had gotten stuck somewhere and we had a filler I guess you would call it. We had to ask other CMs for water refills and other things, but our actual waitress eventually made her way to us and we had a really pleasant breakfast. I remembered to take a picture of at least mine this time haha!
25DABA55-9690-4609-B816-FDEB9AD661BD.jpeg

After that, we headed to retrieve a DAS time for Peter Pan. After getting the return time, we headed across the way to Snow White where we quickly bumped into Aladdin and saw Mulan walking from afar! This would never happen at WDW and I’m sad I didn’t get any pictures!

After riding both Snow White and Peter Pan (which btw is far more intense than WDW), we headed to New Orleans Square and we’re greeted with what was actually organized chaos.

87F1A3E5-862D-4257-B69B-B5A09889FB63.jpeg
Seriously I was not expecting Peter Pan to be this jerky!

Anyhoo back to HMH! There was a news team setting up. And the LL/DAS line extended over the bridge and down by Hungry Bear. A Frontierland Cm and a Haunted Mansion Cm were working together to tape off the area and we were given a projected LL/DAS wait time of 30 minutes. It wasn’t even 15 in the end but it was almost all in the sun.

13C83A20-1BA5-4EE8-A246-C8FFD8739715.jpeg

The HM CMs were extremely prepared though, having different colored cards for various ECV/wheelchair users. And they kept both lines going.

FFCA1A5E-8EE2-4102-89B8-A48867C11237.jpeg

And then came time to merge together which we later found out was chaotic because people weren’t filling in all available space. So the elevator couldn’t go down. We eventually get in, starry the pre show and the pre show is DARK! Plus I’m not used to the elevator. And it’s also not HM it’s Nightmare before Xmas so I had no idea how long the spiel would be. We eventually make it out and that caused more chaos because people weren’t moving up and there was someone needing an accessibility buggy. But the CMs handled it with tact, grace and a lot of flashlights.

We finally made it to the doom buggies.

7B635770-B02E-4742-9423-459985204F66.jpeg
I’ll admit I was skeptical and slightly disheartened my first ride on the DLR HM would be HMH, but we were pleasantly surprised! Getting to the graveyard sequence at the end caused our mouths to drop in delight. The hat box ghost still was seen, and the mashing up of Grim Grinning Ghosts and Danny Elfmans NB4XMAS score was incredible. It honestly is a feat I commend imagineers for. It was a lot more fun than expected!

I’ll leave off here for today but thanks as always for reading along!

Day 9 Part 2: September 2nd: DLR and our final day!

After we got off HMH, we stepped right back out into the boiling heat and went in search of some things.

My dad needed to use the bathroom at this point and wanted to wet the cooling towel and my mom and I got water and popcorn (and forgetting the don’t refill the bucket. They seriously need to get on that). My dad came back in a not so good mood because the mens bathrooms in NOS had to be closed for cleaning and he had to ask the Blue Bayou CM to use their bathroom (which they graciously let him do). So again, be warned that sometimes in the heat chaos will ensue. And always thank CMs. We continued to relax and figure out our next step.

After relaxing for a bit, we then hitched a ride on something we haven’t been able to ride at WDW for a while: the railroad! We did get a small glimpse and lots of noise when we had to stop in the toontown depot. That is one place I will definitely be running to the next time I am back!

C4F85D95-FDB6-41AA-A569-25471D016147.jpeg

The dinosaur part made me instantly think of the infamous Sheldon Cooper line “I’ve always thought that’s what 1972 smelled like”. Seriously what is that smell lol. We did rather enjoy our time on the railroad though and it made us long for WDWs.

9BA69A06-F5F4-4AC8-A73B-EBA3C54101AC.jpeg
Not gonna lie, i loved being able to look out and see the other park from here. Love seeing water and resorts in WDW, but this was something special.

We then made our way back to Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln and caught Jason before we entered, who was happy to see us again! While it was awesome to see what Walt envisioned and what made history, imagine our shock at hearing both the Blue and Gray song and the finale song from the American Adventure in the show. We know what you did EPCOT lol! (And while the American Adventure pavilion show is usually our nap time, we did not nap through this mainly because we were so engrossed by how similar certain sections are!)

We then exited out to more of the Halloween costumes Fab 8 (I’m including Daisy and the chipmunks in this) and headed out to DCA. Yes we finally used our Park Hoppers. Probably would’ve used them more if it weren’t for the heat. There is a reason we hopped today though! The other day at Ralph Brennan’s, my mother surprised us by saying she wanted to go on Guardians again. This is someone we practically had to drag on ToT last year! So once park hopping ensued I snagged a lightning lane for 1:30.

This is one aspect of genie plus I do not like at all: the park hopping stacking. It’s very confusing for first time users, and even after making suggestions of what I wanted, the genie was still recommending DL versus CA.

3BBAA3B4-5B2F-427F-B7DF-BE88C0CBE2DD.jpeg
There she is in all her glory!

We made it on again and this time had “We got the Funk”! If this is any indication of Cosmic rewind, we are gonna love it.

I then stated how much I really wanted to see the Spider-Man show. As a fan of the Mythbusters, I was heartbroken when Grant Imahara passed away before he could see this fantastic animatronic be completed in real time. I owed it to him to see that. So my parents decided they were gonna get a drink and sit over at Pyms so I could take some pictures and watch the next spiderman show (which was 2:15 according to the app and it was appx. 1:50 now). I did ask my mom to take a quick picture of me in the illusion black and white floor of the sanctum before we separated, and it came out pretty good!

Right after my parents and I split up, the Dora Milage came out. For some reason they were up atop Avengers headquarters and not on the ground. I got some quick footage and then at 2 pm meandered over to spiderman to snag a spot.9451BA43-8D54-4717-9C05-D0023448EA25.jpeg

Around 2:10 my Dad texted me they were in Pyms and Mom was getting food and where to meet them.

Then it was time. This animatronic is a thing of beauty and worth it to see in person. I’ll admit I shed a tear or two. I hope Grant is proud!

A402FCA7-F769-4D2A-9443-2DFEF82BF59A.jpeg
I love that it’s a whole show before and after the animatronic too! I didn’t wait in line to meet him, because I was hungry and needed to be out of the Sun lol.

I meandered over to Pym’s where my parents had gotten one of those giant pretzels, the kids PB&J meal, a proton punch for me and sodas and water for them. This was the meal that made us true fans of Pym’s. Something as simple as a giant pretzel and kids PB&J was brilliant and satisfying.

C399C1BE-0344-4DB5-B91C-2CB0723792CD.jpeg
(I remembered to get a photo this time lol)

We sat a bit more, and I ran across the way to the Schwarma stand to get one of the Iron Gauntlet drink holders. I made it back and we finished up and saw Ant Man and the Wasp atop Avengers Headquarters and Iron Man meeting and greeting below.
7E997EB5-A81E-4A46-8DFE-58E4D3743DD5.jpeg

On our way out by Guardians, we saw the arrival of Thor and Mighty Thor. While I didn’t get pictures with them, it was nice to have genuine interaction to seeing them without fussing about a camera. All in all a great day so far for characters.

We made our way back to DL (I keep wanting to call it MK and then I face palm myself and realize my mistake lol) at this point, we just wanted to relax and walk around as my dad wanted to see the flag retreat. We meandered around the shops, we stopped to buy a shoulder Grogu (Baby Yoda) and inquire about sizes of certain things and if they would be in DTD. We sat in the Great Moments lobby and waited for the 4:30 flag retreat while my mom went to the confectionary to get (delicious and giant) cookies.

Then we headed over around 4:15 to town square to wait for the ceremony. I don’t ever recall seeing this in WDW, and admittedly -again not wanting to get political-I have had many a time in the last half a decade or so where I have not been feeling patriotic at times. And it’s a shame, because I do recognize and honor my family and friends who have served and are currently serving because they deserve it. I do appreciate what we have as citizens of this country. But as I said, its hard. I am one of those people who wishes their vote counted more then it does in every election from local to federal, but it doesn’t feel that way a giant chunk of the time.

But, seeing this flag retreat, and seeing all the veterans step forward during their respective branch’s song (including those in the band) was a beautiful sight. And it honestly made me forget for 20 minutes and allowed me to reflect and recognize those who stepped forward.

(Plus whoever arranged the vocals for the Dapper Dans and the orchestrations for the band deserves a raise!)

I do recommend you try to see it. It’s under 20 minutes, and if you know a veteran recommend it to them after thanking them. It is worth it to see in person at least once, and we hit a day where there were 10 veterans and it was brilliantly done. The square fills up quickly, but I did see quite a few people watching from the train station plaza (which must’ve been a beautiful view to look out as it was going on).
6BA52D3C-7114-4320-8991-731E1EE45014.jpeg
The square and Main Street -pre retreat.

After that we headed into DTD to do some final shopping before heading back to drop off the ECV and then the hotel. We were sad to leave, but also excited to be heading home. We shuffled our way back across Harbor Drive and into the Fairfield Marriott.

67F93DCB-CEF1-4B5D-AF4A-8FAEE1EFF6A5.jpeg

We started packing and getting rid of things we no longer needed or that had run out. My mom debated doing a final load of laundry (she had been doing it though out the week) but ultimately was like nope I’m done for the day.

Around 7:30 we meandered our way to Panera for a light dinner before heading back up to finish packing. My mom however went to print the boarding passes and this is where our tales of woe with American Airlines starts to ensue. It took over 30 minutes for the human on the other end of the phone to understand we just wanted to print our boarding passes from the site, not email them to us.🤦🏼‍♀️

After eventually going to check on my mom and heading upstairs, we showered and settled in for the night, and fell asleep shortly after the fireworks stopped.

And with that was the start of the end of our trip.

Great review.
We loved Disneyland, being WDW veterans. I had been there before, twice (1998 and 2007), but both for a single day).
It was for the first time for the other 4 members of my family. I do agree the heat was TOO MUCH that week we were there (same as yours). I never thought we would have to take hotel breaks all days (from 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM) or we would have fainted (or at least, we would have been in VERY bad mood) :).

Great review.
We loved Disneyland, being WDW veterans. I had been there before, twice (1998 and 2007), but both for a single day).
It was for the first time for the other 4 members of my family. I do agree the heat was TOO MUCH that week we were there (same as yours). I never thought we would have to take hotel breaks all days (from 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM) or we would have fainted (or at least, we would have been in VERY bad mood) :).
I 100% agree with everything you said. Only difference is my parents would not have gone back if we went to the hotel. If we were on property that’s a different story.

We definitely want to go back!

Hi all!

I swear I didn’t forget you! My clumsy self fell off my front step onto my walkway and I took the weekend to recover and then work and life got busy again!

I am mostly healed and ok and hopefully later today or tomorrow to start to wrap this up!

Day 10: September 3rd: TRAVEL DAY.

I’m back and healed from the fall and done with most of the chaos! And don’t worry I’m working on a wrap up and I need to do that quick because I have a non Disney/Universal Trip coming up that I want to report!

We decided to be up and out around 8 am because we had to drop the car off. My mom checked out and paid our resort parking fee (which wasn’t horrible I think the total for the 9 nights was like $134). I usually don’t cry when heading home, but I couldn’t help but tear up as we pulled into SNA just as Don’t Stop Believin’ came on the radio.

7329E9B0-E520-4FF3-9619-69C8838A47D9.jpegEC7758D6-D7E7-4123-A79C-EDC83BC90E1F.jpeg
Figured you all could use a laugh and some final shots of Palm trees lol

We got the car settled and dropped off and headed through security. We made our way towards our gate and found McDonalds and ate. We were really early as our flight wouldn’t leave until 11 something, and we wouldn’t be boarding until around 11. So we sat and occupied ourselves with various magazines and activities.

We boarded and discovered that American Airlines doesn’t have screens anymore for watching anything. Even in first class. Upon arriving home we checked every piece of paper and email and nowhere did it say that. The wifi was also very spotty so anytime we tried to access even to see where we were in terms of the flight it was chaotic. We all managed to sneak a nap in a eat our snacks while trying not to be bored for almost 4 hours. Our flight attendants were also extremely rude on this flight, complaining if people got in their way and just being downright dismissive of questions. I understand post Covid things have been chaotic, but a simple “I don’t know let me find out” would’ve been enough.

Our layover coming home was in Chicago O’Hare. When we landed at around 5:30 CST we were slightly early. Many humans were catching connecting flights, so everyone was happy to have gained some time. That joy was short lived while we drove yes DROVE around the airport for almost a half hour. Our pilot was not happy at around 5:50 when she came on and apologized that a big jet was blocking our entrance and causing chaos because they hadn’t fully wrapped up boarding even though final boarding was called. And boy were people ANGRY. We were lucky our plane home wasn’t until 7:40 (at the time), but others were now freaking out. And American gave none of us anything. Not even a food voucher. I’m 99% sure people missed their planes. At this point, we vowed to not fly them again as we had enough (no full fault to the pilot or crew on this one though-this is on O’Hare but American could’ve done something!)

Thankfully we had carry ons so we got off and hit the bathroom and tried to find our gate. We landed at gate K21 I think I remember the K and we have to get to G 16. Home Alone got the chaos of O’Hare down perfectly because it took us until almost 6:30 to get to our gate. Not even any of the restaurants were open and most of the stores were closing up. It’s not even 7 pm on a Saturday and these places are shuttering it was bizarre. Thankfully the flight attendants and agents for American there were far nicer and understanding than the flight we just got on.

My mom and I went in search of food. Chilis to go had just closed the kitchen. And my mom got some sandwiches from ato go area while I got drinks and snacks (yes the LaGuardia John Mulaney SNL musical sketch played in my mind as her and my father ate a sandwich while I was content with my cheese it’s but I also understand as we were desperate and pissed off.)

As we sat back down at the gat at around 6:45 I realized our flight was delayed until 9:20 CST which meant we wouldn’t be home until almost 1 am EST. We immediately started calling the family member who was picking us up and my dad started looking up rental car deals. If we had to drive the almost 12 hours home we would switch on and off every couple of hours. We were not going to get delayed again.

Around 7:10 the board changed the flight time back to the original time. An agent for American came over the speakers and apologized, saying a member of the flight crew didn’t show up and they had gotten someone who had just landed but he had to hike even farther than we did and that the flight would now take off at around 8:15. My dad was still ready to rent a car if we had to.

All of a sudden at 7:45 pm we see our savior flight attendant and we gave him a round of applause! Then another flight attendant came over and since most of us had carryons and the plane wasn’t full they began tagging bags that they would put in the back of the plane on empty seats in order to get us home.

8:10pm we were all being boarded and most of us moved up in seats. My dad finally got out of the rental car app. We were on our way home.

E35B792A-A34D-49C7-A451-9A871527605B.jpeg

And I swear that pilot SPED home. He said it would be appx. 1 hour 37 minutes we were there in just under and hour and a half. We groggily departed on the tarmac and retrieved our bag and my aunt was waiting to pick us up. We were home by 11 pm and wide awake and hungry. After playing with our dog, showering and eating we all finally went to bed, where our energy and jet lag caused some issues but it is what it is.

And this ends the So Cal Summer 2022 trip. With chaos and tiredness lol.

As I mentioned I will do a final thoughts. But I wanted to thank you all again for following along (even though this took forever) and for all your help along the way. We will be back to California!

BH5💜

an exciting end of the trip. Airports are always full of surprises and stress. Glad everyone arrived safely, even with all delays and issues....

an exciting end of the trip. Airports are always full of surprises and stress. Glad everyone arrived safely, even with all delays and issues....
Agreed! Very stressful. And American has officially lost some customers. But it was an eventful end to an awesome trip!

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I’ve been sort of trying to compile these so I don’t ramble so I’m gonna go with a sort of pros and cons approach (even though I’d rather do it a different way this is probably the easiest.)

CONS:

1. American Airlines. This is not the same airline sung about in Come From Away. The whole tablet fiasco aside, what we and our fellow passengers went through was disgusting. I would never fly with them again or recommend them to anyone.
  2. Dennys. Stick to the parks/fast food/what you get from the grocery store/local restaurant
  3. Knotts Berry Farm. This was the biggest disappointment for us. My isolated incident aside, this is a park I would recommend you stay away from. And it’s a shame cuz I’d love to go back for Scary Farm and other events but it left such a bad taste in our mouth I doubt I would.
  4. Popcorn Refills: DLR what in the world you need to fix this
  5. Our own minds: We point blank needed to stop comparing and contrasting to the Florida Parks and what else we have been too prior.
  6. This is more of an us thing, but I wish we could’ve done more and we also regret not looking up other things.

NEUTRAL:

1. The Academy Awards Museum. Again I think they need to really just grow and get more artifacts and films and it could be a great place. I still saw some awesome things, but I will hold off on going back for a little while so they can find their groove. They were a huge pro in terms of pricing though!
  2. Long Beach/Aquarium of the Pacific. It’s a cute day trip but I wish we spent more time there.
  3. More of an us thing: we need to print out directions to every single Dunkin lmao
  4. DAS Systems: some great and some not so great. Really need some improvements there with all of where we went.
  5. Genie plus: Granted this was my first time experiencing it. And I did like some of the features but it needs work and in general I am team standby and virtual queue works best.

PROS:

1. Delta! Great Airline. Very few issues
  2. Flying into Santa Ana/John Wayne Airport-so convenient
  3. Renting a car! So much more cheaper then ubering everywhere in the end. And we had access to going to restaurants off property and getting groceries and toiletries on our schedule.
  4. Staying at a Good Neighbor hotel. We really enjoyed our stay at Fairfield Marriott, and would gladly stay at some of the others we saw. We got to save some money and bonus points for being right behind a Panera.
  5. USH: Excellent park, loved the Tram Tour, really enjoyed it. Other than some DAS issues and comparing our previous experiences, we had a phenomenal time.
  6. Warner Bros Studio Tour: We would do this again in a heartbeat. And we would do other studios as well and spend more time in Burbank.
  7. DLR: Loved it. We really enjoyed how compact it was, a lot of the different things, how characters were everywhere, how Halloween really wasn’t in your face until our final day (my fave holiday is Halloween and I hate how in Florida the parks are ready to go in August). I also loved being where Walt walked, and the history behind it all. Im so happy for all the new and returning things happening here as I think it will be amazing.
  8. Booking through Costco. Don’t know how this will work with the magic bands, but worth it.

All in all, we will be returning. We’ve discussed maybe doing the full blown non stop flight to SNA (or at least one way), but we genuinely will be returning. We already know we might try the Courtyard next door, how we will do Paramount and possibly Henson studios the day we do Warner brothers (as well as maybe something else in CA). We also know we will not be doing Knotts and most likely adding a 4th DLR day but not going until nighttime to see either Fantasmic or WOC. This is a trip that can be done cheaper than WDW if you know what you are doing and willing to stay off property, rent the car and look for the discounts. Things are also cheaper here than I expected. And the discounts are better and start earlier/end later for age related ones.

If anyone has any questions my DMs are open.

Thank you for joining me. Be on the lookout for my Busch Gardens Williamsburg TR coming soon and next year when we hopefully do a Land and Sea trip with DCL/WDW! I’ll still be here commenting on others posts too!

BH5💜

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter