A Contemporary Halloween - Oct 2012 PTR -- updated 6/24

If you need more info & pics, my 2010 summer trip is pic heavy & reviews. The links to all my TR's are below. I love the Paradise Pier Hotel.....the staff seems a lot friendly here....the theme for the rooms are beach....so casual. The Disneyland Hotel just went through a huge renovation.....its nice, but it no longer has the "retro" feel it had (as it was the original hotel) & the Grand Californian would be comparable to WDW's Wilderness Lodge (not my cup of tea & too dark). I have been told by people that stay at the GCH....the rooms are smaller then the ones at the DLH or PPH.

GCH looks beautiful, but I think its more than we would want to spend for this trip. I like the idea of DH, but I think one of the Good Neighbor hotels will be the way we go.

We've stayed at the Howard Johnson's or HoJo & loved it!! They have the most awesome water play area for the kids!! It's a 7-8min walk to the park entrance but we didn't find that to be an issue at all.

I will have to check that one out. We like to all be in 1 room, some somtimes with a family of 6 its hard to find a hotel that will accomidate us.

A number of the motels across from the entrance are equal in ratings....some have free breakfasts, some free wi-fi, some free parking, etc. It's just a matter of looking for what your needs & wants are for a place.

You can walk between Disneyland & Disney's California Park or Downtown Disney in about 2 mins. Yup, they're that close!!! Won't need a rental car unless you plan on venturing outside Disneyland on your trip.

I think for this trip we would drive out to California. I love how close everything is to DL, but I know we would want to go to the beach too.

I'm excited to see both of your PTR's in one......a great place to jot down your thoughts & not have to repeat it in a 2nd one.....lol :rotfl:

I dont know if I am going to do the Christmas trip in this PTR or do another one for that trip. Still back and forth. I will let you know for sure.

CUTE kids!!! I'm sorry to hear about the seizure issues. We thought our daughter (the one with all the issues) was having seizures & she had all sorts of testing done (the one with all the wires glued to her head, sedated cat-scan).....nothing showed up, thank goodness but her bio dad does have grand-mal seizures...so it's something we need to watch. I think it was an autistic thing she was doing & not actual seizures. Hopefully that's getting better for your little guy!!

Thank you. Evan's cat scan came back normal. The Neurologist said he had "breath holding seizures" and unfortunately there was nothing that could be done for them. He has had 4 of them since Aug. We are supposed to monitor him and just be aware of what can happen if he gets hurt (which seems to cause the seizures). We were told to contact the doctor if he has any seizure lasting 2 min or longer as the breath holding seizures should be under 2 min.
Looking forward to following along!!

Looking forward to having you here, and I will check out that TR you mentioned. Thanks! :) :):thumbsup2

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2573804&page=17

This should take you to the page it's on, starts at post #254. I stuck it in at the end of my WDW TR.

While the Disney hotels are very nice (well 2 outta 3, I wasn't overly impressed with Paradise Pier) the Good Neighbor hotels are actually closer with the exception of the Grand Californian. You can't beat having your own entrance! You can stay in a good neighbor hotel right across the street from the main entrance. There are two Best Westerns across the street that are pretty nice and a Fairfield Inn not far from them. Plus you get the same perks with a good neighbor package as a Disney resort package. It's so different from Disney World!

Read the TR, thank you so much for that! I think we will definately do a Good Neighbor hotel...not sure which one, guess it will ultimately come down to whats available for our family size come Aug (or whenever the Disney gods decide to release 2013 packages). I've looked at Best Western Park Place and 2 Residence Inns, Homewood Suites and Staybridge.

I definately will NOT be doing their dining plan! I was back and forth on it, but after reading your TR, its a definate no. Seems so not worth it.

I am thinking 3 park days. 1 DL, 1 DCA and 1 to go back to our fave park. We dont typically do park hoppers just b/c of the added expense.

Thanks again for sharing that TR!

268 days to go!! and 332 days until our Christmas trip :santa:

Over the coming days I will be sharing some pics from our trip back in 2008. For that trip (DH, Hunter & Harper's 1st) we stayed at CBR for 6nts and had 4 days in the parks, 1 day at DTD and saw La Noubla (we :love: Cirque!!). We also went to Spirit of Aloha (kids have requested to go back in Dec), Cape May bkfst, 1900 PF dinner, H & V Playhouse Disney bkfst.

So, the 1st picture is in honor of Chinese New Year tomorrow. Hunter & Harper meeting Mulan & Mushu at Epcot. We also watched Mulan last night as one of our Disney Movie nights :thumbsup2

dw10.jpg

Finding a room for a family of 6 is going to be an issue for the motels right across the street........I'm sure there must be something available, but you might end up further away or in a non-good neighbor motel (which then takes you out of a package deal)

Most definitely forget about the dining plan......it's horrible & a pain to use. We purchase Disney Gift cards & put money on them to pre-pay for the meals.

Finding a room for a family of 6 is going to be an issue for the motels right across the street........I'm sure there must be something available, but you might end up further away or in a non-good neighbor motel (which then takes you out of a package deal)

Most definitely forget about the dining plan......it's horrible & a pain to use. We purchase Disney Gift cards & put money on them to pre-pay for the meals.

The HoJo you guys stayed at looked awesome. Love the pool area. I must admit, I have been afraid to check and see if they have a room with occupancy for 6. Best Western Park Place supposedly has a mini suite for 6 and is close to the main gate. Then I have found a few that are more .5-1.0 miles away. Not bad, but we would definately drive, which again, wouldnt be awful...just have to pay for parking. Oh well, still plenty of time to decide since packages wont come out for a while still.

I am on page 54 of your TR so far (1st day at DL). I will read some more of it today. Love all the pics so far.

The HoJo you guys stayed at looked awesome. Love the pool area. I must admit, I have been afraid to check and see if they have a room with occupancy for 6. Best Western Park Place supposedly has a mini suite for 6 and is close to the main gate. Then I have found a few that are more .5-1.0 miles away. Not bad, but we would definately drive, which again, wouldnt be awful...just have to pay for parking. Oh well, still plenty of time to decide since packages wont come out for a while still.

I am on page 54 of your TR so far (1st day at DL). I will read some more of it today. Love all the pics so far.

Yeah, unfortunately you'd be looking at 2 rooms at the HoJo's.......It's a fire code thing in Anaheim....most of the standard motel rooms will be a max of 5. The BWPPI gets favorable reviews & it's right across the street from the park entrance....so that's a good thing.....but for our family, knowing we'd be taking a break & wanting the water area....made it worth it to have 2 rooms & walk a tad further.

Parking is like $13/day.....if you can avoid that....I would. There is the Anaheim Resort Transit (which you can buy passes for your entire stay pretty cheaply) that will bus you to & from the resorts that are not in walking distance (there's even a stop at the HoJo which always cracked me up, since it really isn't that far away).

Hopefully you'll find some valuable information to help you plan out your DL trip from my report......if not, hope you enjoy all the pictures!! :rotfl:

Read the TR, thank you so much for that! I think we will definately do a Good Neighbor hotel...not sure which one, guess it will ultimately come down to whats available for our family size come Aug (or whenever the Disney gods decide to release 2013 packages). I've looked at Best Western Park Place and 2 Residence Inns, Homewood Suites and Staybridge.

I definately will NOT be doing their dining plan! I was back and forth on it, but after reading your TR, its a definate no. Seems so not worth it.

I am thinking 3 park days. 1 DL, 1 DCA and 1 to go back to our fave park. We dont typically do park hoppers just b/c of the added expense.

Thanks again for sharing that TR!

You're welcome!

Ugh. I hate Disneyland's version of the Dining Plan. They went on and on about how it is so much better than WDW. What alternate universe they are living in, I do not know. The only plus of it is that not everyone in your party has to have it and you can add it if you want it while you're in Disneyland. Other than that, I wasn't impressed!

Every Disney trip calls for some pre-trip shopping. This trip is NO different. Here are a few more things I have purchased for this trip.

Harper's t-shirt to wear during the day of MNSSHP @ MK (will purchase an additional Halloween shirt if we decide on 2 party nights)

100_0535.jpg

Hunter's t-shirt to wear during the day of MNSSHP @ MK (will purchase an additional Halloween shirt if we decide on 2 party nights)

100_0534.jpg

My t-shirt (may or may not purchase an additional one for possible 2nd MNSSHP)

100_0533.jpg

Little boys t-shirts for MK day (will purchase an additional shirt if we do a 2nd MNSSHP)

006.jpg

Notice who is missing a shirt?? DH, although he loves Disney, he is not willing to go as far as to wear a shirt...oh well.

Window clings for our hotel

100_0532.jpg

Additional shopping pics can be found on post # 33

I have MNSSHP costumes picked out for Evan and Harper. Its been hard finding cute costumes that wont be super HOT and I dont want to spend an arm and a leg for a costume they may or may not want to wear again. Since this is a suprise trip, I cant really ask "hey, would you wear this in Florida??" And, I know if I let them pick the costumes, they would pick something very uncomfortable for the parks.

Here is Evan's costume. I am back and forth as to whether or not to get something similar (Pirate) for Jaxon.

100_0529.jpg

Here is Harper's costume. Super cute Mad Hatter. I am totally hoping to get a pic of her in it with either Alice, Mad Hatter or Queen of Hearts. She has seen pics in magazines of this costume last year and thought it was adorable...little does she know she is wearing it at MK. I'm going to try and find some cute knee high socks to go with this.

100_0530.jpg

This is a musical/light up card that we are going to put the MNSSHP tickets in to give the kids. We are going to wait and give this to them at the hotel when we arrive. The whole trip is a suprise, so they wont know anything about any aspect of it.

100_0531.jpg

Wow lots of awesome updates!! Great job shopping!!

I'm so excited for your DL trip!! I just LOVE it there!!

I always have stayed at HoJo's too. It's a pretty popular choice for DL trips for ppl. That being said, I probably won't again after my last trip. My feet hurt SO badly (not sure why) after my first day, that the loooong walk back to HoJo's hurt so much! check out google maps or something on the actual location of the hotels you're looking at to guage the distance.

Cute shirts & costumes!!!! :banana:

Thank you! I tried to stock up on stuff while it was on sale after Halloween

Wow lots of awesome updates!! Great job shopping!!

I'm so excited for your DL trip!! I just LOVE it there!!

I always have stayed at HoJo's too. It's a pretty popular choice for DL trips for ppl. That being said, I probably won't again after my last trip. My feet hurt SO badly (not sure why) after my first day, that the loooong walk back to HoJo's hurt so much! check out google maps or something on the actual location of the hotels you're looking at to guage the distance.

Thanks for the advice! DL still just seems so foreign when I look at their planning webpage :lmao:

JANUARY MOVIE NIGHTS

Only 2 movies this month, but we had fun with both of them.

Jan 14 - Three Caballeros/Saludos Amigos - Chicken/spinach enchiladas, black beans, chips/salsa, Jarritos Mexican soda, Mexican vanilla cookies

Jan 21 - Mulan - Chicken stir fry, Jasmine rice, "faux-tune" cookies (I couldnt get actual fortune cookies, so I just used yellow plastic Easter eggs and wrote out WDW related fortunes for everyone...we mixed them all up and picked). I also told the kids the tradions and history of Chinese New Year and also told each person in the family their Chinese Zodiac sign and their meanings. Super fun!!

Several movies lined up for February :cool1:

February is here :cool1:, seems like January flew by. Dance recital costume balances are due next week, signed up Hunter for Spring soccer tonight...those 2 things all mean...SPRING IS ALMOST HERE (well, in like a month and a half), and that means...WE ARE GETTING CLOSER TO OCT!! Or, at least closer to April to make ADRs and see those MNSSHP dates posted. Ahh...THAT will make the trip seem really real.

Been doing some shopping online the last day or so trying to find new t-shirts for the kids for both the Oct trip and the Dec trip. Plan on washing them and packing them away (I've been buying stuff a size bigger than normal). Bought 2 shirts each for the little boys, 2 shirts for Hunter, 3 shirts for Harper all from Disney Store online tonight. Was able to actually find a few sizes for the kids on sale :thumbsup2

Not much going on in the planning stages. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter