3-BR Grand Villa Recommendation for 1-Night

mjstaceyuofm

DIS Veteran
Hello all - long-time OKW owners here. Stayed in all sizes of the rooms there; also stayed at many 1 and 2-BR units on property, but don't have any other experiences with 3-BR Grand Villas on property other than OKW. My wife and I are taking a 7-nt DCL cruise (September 2023) with our adult son, his fiancé, and her parents. We are looking to use our DVC points to have us all stay together 1 night in any 3-BR Grand Villa on property - we will be using DCL transfers the next day and this will just make it easier and more fun staying together the night before. I would like the hive minds thoughts / experiences on recommendations for which DVC 3-BR Grand Villa you'd choose. I know OKW is huge, but there's plenty of availability there for now for 1-night. Looking to jump on any other resort as soon as my 7-month booking window comes up. Currently leaning towards Riviera as it's the newest. Thought on that / others?

Thanks in advance!

What time would you be getting to the resort?

Are you planning on having dinner at the resort or nearby?

What time would you be getting to the resort?

Are you planning on having dinner at the resort or nearby?
Would probably be getting there sometime mid-afternoon, and plans for dinner would all be based on where we stay, or going to Disney Springs for dinner, etc. We won't have a car and don't have APs or anything of the like so going to the parks are not an option...

Does the DCL bus have service to all the DVC resorts? At one time, a while ago, they didn't pick up at all the resorts, you might check on that before you pick a location.

We've done the OKW Grand Villas, and the rooms are amazing! I wouldn't hesitate to stay with the family in one - then you have the peaceful boat ride to Disney Springs for dinner/shopping. If you are looking for another option, I'd look towards AKL. At AKL, there are 2 options - the GVs at Jambo and those at Kidani. Jambo is a 1-floor unit that is huge! Kidani is a 2-floor layout, and are magnificent. There are more GVs at Kidani than Jambo. The dining options at AKL are outstanding - at least our family thinks so. Your family might have different tastes.....

That being said, if you're only doing 1 night, it'll be hard to really take it all in anyway! You'll likely only have the room for 18 hours or so! Have a great trip and good luck with your choice!

Would probably be getting there sometime mid-afternoon, and plans for dinner would all be based on where we stay, or going to Disney Springs for dinner, etc. We won't have a car and don't have APs or anything of the like so going to the parks are not an option...
My experience with 3 bedroom Grand Villas has been at BLT and SSR.
We loved both resorts!

BLT obviously has a modern feel.
We loved taking the monorail to other resorts. The pool is a little small, but we enjoyed it. You can also use the pools at CR.

SSR had a warm feel to it. We walked and took the boat to Disney Springs. Lots of great restaurants there to choose from.

While I don’t have experience with a grand Villa, We recently stayed in a one bedroom at Riviera and loved everything about it.
We made a reservation at Topolino’s for our anniversary and it was amazing. We had a table next to the window and saw the fireworks. They also have a deck area to view the fireworks.
The resort was gorgeous, the staff very helpful and friendly.
We also relaxed in the quiet pool.
We enjoyed riding the skyliner. You could take it to the Boardwalk area for dinner, if you wanted.

I do like the suggestion of Animal Kingdom. I haven’t stayed there yet, but imagine a savanna view would be amazing.

Good luck with your decision!
Have a great vacation!

We've done the GV at BLT (our home resort) and Jambo.

Jambo was nice because of the savannah view. Room felt huge because it was all on one floor.

We like BLT for the fireworks view! And the wall of windows is awsome.

You couldn't go wrong with either of those, but if I had a choice I'd do a theme park view at BLT.

The only GV we've stayed at was VGF and it was very nice. Two of the bedrooms had ensuite bathrooms, but the third did not. It also has a detached den-like room separate from the living/dining area.

I doubt you'll hear many negative reviews of GVs, they're generally very nice and better appointed than Studio - 2BR, in addition to having the highest sqft/guest of all the rooms categories (though some 1BRs challenge the GVs).

For just one night, though? Considering all GVs are good+, I'd prioritize where you want to eat for both dinner and breakfast before you head out for your cruise. One of our favorite things to do before our cruises is to have a sitdown breakfast at a walking-distance restaurant as on park days rope drop is usually a higher priority. A sitdown breakfast is a very nice change of pace from a typical Disney day and it really sets a calm mood for the whole beginning of the cruise.

I'd also point out you may not have a ton of daylight hours while in your room, especially if your cruise is nearer to the end of September, where sunset can be 7:20ish. This may make something like Savanna View less worth it when check-in is at 4PM.

Resorts that have sitdown dining options for breakfast:
  • Grand Flo
    • Multiple signature+ options for dinner
    • Grand Flo Cafe for dinner and breakfast
    • Maybe 1900 Park Fare will reopen by then, if so there will likely be characters
  • Riviera
    • Topolino's for dinner and breakfast; breakfast is character dining
    • (could make a case for dinner at BoardWalk/Beach Club via Skyliner)
  • Bay Lake
    • Steakhouse 71 for both dinner and breakfast
    • Chef Mickey's for both dinner and breakfast; characters
    • California Grill for dinner
  • Jambo
    • Jiko for dinner
    • Boma for dinner and breakfast
    • (could make a case for Sanaa for dinner)
  • OKW
    • Olivia's Cafe for dinner and breakfast
    • (could make a case for Disney Springs for dinner, especially by boat)
  • Copper Creek
    • Story Book at Artist Point for dinner; characters
    • Whispering Canyon for breakfast and dinner
  • BoardWalk
    • Trattoria al Forno for breakfast and dinner; breakfast may return to a character dining by then
    • Flying Fish for dinner
I realize this doesn't eliminate a ton (just Kidani and Saratoga, I think), but seeing the dining options may sway you to something you feel would fit your group.

Are your points unlimited? If so, Grand Floridian 3 Bedroom would be my choice. Gorgeous. Tons of dining options that are easy to reserve (Topolina's at RR can be a nightmare to get ADR's.) Great view of fireworks at night. Electric Water Pageant.

Are your points unlimited? If so, Grand Floridian 3 Bedroom would be my choice. Gorgeous. Tons of dining options that are easy to reserve (Topolina's at RR can be a nightmare to get ADR's.) Great view of fireworks at night. Electric Water Pageant.
Yes. There is a big difference in points for one night when you compare OKW to VGF and RIV. Granted it is only one night, but points disappear quick. If it was me, I would book SSR and go to Disney Springs for the evening and dinner, you can either walk, boat or bus back.

Lots of great choices. If you are traveling in the holiday season our family would vote CCV for how awesome the GV looks there and the theme of the resort (even more of a bonus during the holidays). The only downside is there are only a few of them. Also great options for places to eat at wildernesses lodge.

Yeah - we didn't go in 2022 so banked all our points hand have around 600 available. I was looking at the layout there - looks really swanky!

Hello all - long-time OKW owners here. Stayed in all sizes of the rooms there; also stayed at many 1 and 2-BR units on property, but don't have any other experiences with 3-BR Grand Villas on property other than OKW. My wife and I are taking a 7-nt DCL cruise (September 2023) with our adult son, his fiancé, and her parents. We are looking to use our DVC points to have us all stay together 1 night in any 3-BR Grand Villa on property - we will be using DCL transfers the next day and this will just make it easier and more fun staying together the night before. I would like the hive minds thoughts / experiences on recommendations for which DVC 3-BR Grand Villa you'd choose. I know OKW is huge, but there's plenty of availability there for now for 1-night. Looking to jump on any other resort as soon as my 7-month booking window comes up. Currently leaning towards Riviera as it's the newest. Thought on that / others?

Thanks in advance!
Are you going into the parks at all? If it's just a place to hang out before the cruise, my recommendation would be a Theme Park View Grand Villa at BLT -- having done it as a 1-night stay before with family, the view cannot be beat!

Riviera's GV is new and huuuuge, but I don't think it has views of the fireworks.

My other preferences would be:
CCV Grand Villa as you might have a view, but I really love Geyser Point as a hang out spot, great casual dinner and drinks, and wonderful view of the Electrical Water Pageant.
AKV Grand Villa because our family can never get enough of watching the animals, and Boma's is one of our favorite dining locations.

We've had the luxury of staying in 3 different resort GV's since owning DVC.
SSR, VGF and CC. We also toured the RIV GV in 2021.

SSR is 2 levels - nice. It reminded us of owning a townhome. Living Room (with pull-out sofa), Kitchen, full bath and a Master BR with en-suite on Level 1. Level 2 is 2 good size bedrooms, an open area and another full bath.

VGF is incredible! We've stayed in this one 3 times and easily accommodates 4 couples, as there are 4 separate sleeping areas and 4 full bathrooms! It's all on one level and very open concept. Set up as two "wings" with the living room and kitchen area in the middle. Master bedroom with the most amazing en-suite (the shower to die for!). Next to the master is a small "media room" with pull-out. Directly across the hall is a full bath. On the opposite side of the living area is the 2nd bedroom with a full bath directly across the hall. And at the end of the hall is the 3rd bedroom with an en-suite. Bedrooms 2 and 3 each have 2 queen beds.

CC is also quite beautiful! This is a true 3 bedroom, with 3 full baths. The master has a beautiful en-suite. There are several balconies in these corner units and there is a great family space for games and large group dining.

We have yet to stay in the RIV GV, but we did tour it, when we stayed in a 2 bedroom before we bought. It's gorgeous! Another true 3 bedroom. All one level and ideal for 3/4 couples or groups, especially with it's Skyliner access to Epcot!

If your son and fiancé are willing to sleep in the living room, I've always thought the bungalow at Poly is a bucket list room.

Poly got rid of room service, but you can still mobile order all that awesome stuff and someone can go pick it up.

My other idea would be OKW and go to Jaleo in Disney Springs with the boat.

You could also do a 2BR + studio/1BR Beach Club. That would be stormalong bay and you could see the fireworks at night.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions - so much to consider. Going to poll my travel companions right before the 7-month window to see what they're interested in but I'm leaning towards VGF, Riviera, AKL (Jambo), SSR or CCV in that order... What are points if you don't use em?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions - so much to consider. Going to poll my travel companions right before the 7-month window to see what they're interested in but I'm leaning towards VGF, Riviera, AKL (Jambo), SSR or CCV in that order... What are points if you don't use em?
Those are all awesome choices!
Enjoy!

We've only stayed in a GV at BWV and AKV. I would say that Kidani/Jambo is a great choice for one night without going to the parks. Seeing the animals, dining in the resort and the pretty pool areas are great! You can enjoy sitting around the fire outside in the evening and looking at the animals with night vision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter