Does DCL ships have libraries?

happytime

Mouseketeer
I am curious to know if any of the ships have a library on board where one could rent or borrow books to read while on the cruise? I was recently on the Magic, but got sick and was quarantined to the room for half the trip and didn't get out to look myself. Thank you in advance for any and all comments!

No, the Disney ships do not have libraries.

I am curious to know if any of the ships have a library on board where one could rent or borrow books to read while on the cruise? I was recently on the Magic, but got sick and was quarantined to the room for half the trip and didn't get out to look myself. Thank you in advance for any and all comments!
As noted, unlike other cruise lines, DCL has no library. You can, sometimes find recent magazines/newspapers in Quiet Cove, however.

Cove Cafe (at least on Magic as of May 2017 and Wonder as of 2 weeks ago) has a small cabinet containing a few shelves of books that may be signed out to borrow during a cruise.

Yep same on the Wonder last week. A few shelves of books in Cove Cafe. Edited to add I didn't see that poster above mentioned Wonder already.

MJ

Thank you. We are going on the Magic in the fall. I'll make sure I make it to Cove Cafe to check out what they have. Thanks again for the help.

Cove Cafe (at least on Magic as of May 2017 and Wonder as of 2 weeks ago) has a small cabinet containing a few shelves of books that may be signed out to borrow during a cruise.
You do not need to "sign out" books from the Cove Café. When I finish a book I leave it and replace it with a new one. No signing out necessary, you don't need permission, you just do it.

MUN

No, the Disney ships do not have libraries.

As noted, unlike other cruise lines, DCL has no library. You can, sometimes find recent magazines/newspapers in Quiet Cove, however.
It was explain to my husband on the Magic that the books that are in the small bookcase in the cafe are often ones left behind by former cruisers and staff on the ship. Often you can find very current books, because who doesn’t want to read the new hot novel when they travel! My husband brought five books on the cruise because he felt there would be nothing to do. :rotfl2: He ended up reading 13 on a seven day Magic cruise and hasn’t cruised with us again. :confused3

But I have never been on the Fantasy and Dream so PrincessShmoo and OKW Lover may be correct that those do not have the bookcase in the cove. And neither Wonder or the Magic has a library.

But on the two smaller ships I noticed the gift shop did have a few novels that person could purchase. But I know all ships don’t carry the same things. For example I tried on two separate cruises to purchase the animators palate butter knife on the Magic and was told only the Wonder had the knife because it was a newer ship. Then I sailed on the Wonder and they told me they don’t carry the knife.

The knife was on the Fantasy.....and I bought a couple several years ago on the disney shopping webiste.

Fantasy had about 10 books in Cove Cafe

Really? We bought the butter knife on the Magic in September! (we skipped a port where we had an expensive port adventure booked, as soon as that was known, we headed to the shop and bought the knife from the money we "saved")
Glad to hear they finally put the knife on the Magic! I think what people are tempted to take things that they can’t buy. I haven’t been on the Magic in several years, my most recent experience was on the Wonder in 2016. I had to call DLC guest services to get me a knife. The ships even told me to go to downtown Disney that I should be able to find one there. But of course they didn’t have them there either. Took me six years to get that knife! Now I’m afraid to use it because it was so hard to get.

The knife was on the Fantasy.....and I bought a couple several years ago on the disney shopping webiste.

Fantasy had about 10 books in Cove Cafe
Ouch 10 books, on a ship that size! Maybe the knife was back ordered when I was looking for it. There was even a cruiser on the boards here that was going to have one sent to me from one of the bigger ships so I could get it for Christmas. I was that desperate!

Funny story about the AP knife. We purchased one on the Magic in October 2016. This was the first time that DH and I had taken a Disney cruise without our son, as he had just started college. The next time our son came home from school, he saw the knife in the silverware drawer and freaked out thinking we'd stolen it from Animator's Palette. :sad2: I had to assure him that, no, his parents had not turned into kleptos due to our grief of being separated from him. We did, in fact, purchase the knife.

Kids! :rotfl2:

As for the original question, I'm kind of surprised Disney doesn't have a library on their ships. We saw the (very) small collection in Cove Cafe, but it's kind of tucked away in the corner, and I imagine most people never even notice it. When we sailed on NCL last summer they had a dedicated library with books, board games and tables to play on as well. It was a nice set up. Maybe Disney will add something like that on their new ships. I read on here awhile ago that board games were available in one of the pubs, but otherwise I would have never known about it. Having a dedicated space that everyone was aware of would be nice.

Last edited:
The Wonder had a good supply of books in the Cove Café during the NYE cruise. I dropped off "Snow Falling on Cedars" by David Guterson, and picked up "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro. Both were cheery shipboard reads. :)

On our DCL Hawaii cruise, the stateroom next to ours hung out a fabric grocery bag with books in it, and a sign saying it was a book exchange -- drop off books you've read, and take any book out of the bag. Fun idea. At the end of the cruise, the bag and books were donated to the crew.

After eight cruises, three without kids/gkids, I usually take one book to read during deck/sun time. Since there is so much going on, even WBTA and EBPC, that I never got done. Best advice to new cruisers is to bring a paperback or two, not a heavy bound first edition. Why? If you fall asleep, you won't break your nose...I have come close a couple of times, lost my place and one fell in water on the deck.
I am not sure where DCL could put a library on their ships. Cove Café is the best bet for books they have now...perhaps the new ships will sculpt one out somewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!