2010 Yacht and Beach Club FAQ, Part II---Inactive Thread--- Please do not post here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are currently booked at the Polynesian (club level) for our December trip (9-15). It's me, my husband and our three-year-old son (soon to be 4 by then).

Anyway, we booked the Polynesian for one reason: monorail and the proximity to the Magic Kingdom. But I've been very, very worried about reports I've read here, and elsewhere, about room condition at the Polynesian. Some pictures I see look very nice (but not great) but others do make it look very beat-up and, I gotta' be honest, if we pay $500 a night I'm expecting better than Motel 6 upkeep.

I've never stayed at a Disney World Resort and we haven't visited the "the World" for 15+ years, but the last time I was there, near Christmas too, I said I'd want to stay at Beach and Yacht Club because it looked so lovely. Popping into this thread and reading the rooms were recently renovated makes it VERY tempting and I'm thisclose to switching our reservations.

Swimming probably won't be a big issue since it will be December and we're warm-blooded Southerners (with a backyard pool of our own), so 75 degrees is NOT swimming weather for us.

My fear is that with a young one much of our time will be spent in the Magic Kingdom and we'll regret being away from the monorail. (Did I mention my son, a train freak, is also dying to ride it? Seriously he asks DAILY about the monorail ... and at this point he's only seen it in pictures.) And it's likely Epcot may hold the least appeal for one so young. How long does it take to get from Beach Club to Magic Kingdom and by what means?

We will have a rental car, but I was hoping to use that only occasionally. My son, an early riser, does not nap (and hasn't for YEARS already) but we will definitely need mid-day breaks to (hopefully) prevent overload and cranky explosions and we'll probably be done for the day (sleeping) by 9, at the latest, just about every night. So, umm, "nightlife," is not required. ;-)

So, you guys are the Yacht and Beach Club experts, would we regret switching? I mean, I think Yacht and Beach is much more my husband and I's style (to me the Polynesian looks very Brady Bunch) but, let's face it, this trip is mostly about our son.

All advice appreciated! And, yes, I know it's a (very rare) vacation and I should just relax and enjoy it and I swear I will ... Once I get it all planned and finalized.

ok...just my personal opinion here...but SWITCH RESORTS!!! I was sooo very disappointed at our last Poly stay...even my super-optimistic husband was disappointed and we wished we had picked another resort. We love the BC..this will be our 4th trip there...but if you want on the mono line and need to be close to the MK, why not try the Contemporary. I know the style is not every ones favorite--not my decorating style to say the least...but the rooms are large, beds are comfy and the view is amazing and you can walk to the MK!!!!!!!! If you really don't like the Cont. definitely switch to the Beach or Yacht Club!!! Cont is our favorite for the MK area and the BC for the Epcot area...you could even do a split stay between them if you can't decide. And the pool area at SAB is soooo cool!!!!! Plus, you can walk right over to Epcot whenever!!!!! I would just be afraid you would get a not-so-great-room at the Poly and be sad you didn't switch ahead of time....

We are currently booked at the Polynesian (club level) for our December trip (9-15). It's me, my husband and our three-year-old son (soon to be 4 by then).

Anyway, we booked the Polynesian for one reason: monorail and the proximity to the Magic Kingdom. But I've been very, very worried about reports I've read here, and elsewhere, about room condition at the Polynesian. Some pictures I see look very nice (but not great) but others do make it look very beat-up and, I gotta' be honest, if we pay $500 a night I'm expecting better than Motel 6 upkeep.

I've never stayed at a Disney World Resort and we haven't visited the "the World" for 15+ years, but the last time I was there, near Christmas too, I said I'd want to stay at Beach and Yacht Club because it looked so lovely. Popping into this thread and reading the rooms were recently renovated makes it VERY tempting and I'm thisclose to switching our reservations.

Swimming probably won't be a big issue since it will be December and we're warm-blooded Southerners (with a backyard pool of our own), so 75 degrees is NOT swimming weather for us.

My fear is that with a young one much of our time will be spent in the Magic Kingdom and we'll regret being away from the monorail. (Did I mention my son, a train freak, is also dying to ride it? Seriously he asks DAILY about the monorail ... and at this point he's only seen it in pictures.) And it's likely Epcot may hold the least appeal for one so young. How long does it take to get from Beach Club to Magic Kingdom and by what means?

We will have a rental car, but I was hoping to use that only occasionally. My son, an early riser, does not nap (and hasn't for YEARS already) but we will definitely need mid-day breaks to (hopefully) prevent overload and cranky explosions and we'll probably be done for the day (sleeping) by 9, at the latest, just about every night. So, umm, "nightlife," is not required. ;-)

So, you guys are the Yacht and Beach Club experts, would we regret switching? I mean, I think Yacht and Beach is much more my husband and I's style (to me the Polynesian looks very Brady Bunch) but, let's face it, this trip is mostly about our son.

All advice appreciated! And, yes, I know it's a (very rare) vacation and I should just relax and enjoy it and I swear I will ... Once I get it all planned and finalized.

I definitely understand your dilemma - I have a 10 year old son who "lives" for the monorail. Doesn't think twice about riding it around for an hour!!

We just came back from 2 weeks at WDW and the 1st week we were at the Beach Club and the 2nd week we were at the Poly. We've been at the Poly before in the past and always loved it - but this time was very different for us. After staying at he Beach Club and switching directly over to the Poly we definitely noticed the difference! The upkeep at the Poly is not even close to the Y&B. The furniture in the room was very worn, windows always smudged, laundry room not very nice etc. The Beach Club was absolutely beautiful!! The room was spotless, grounds beautifully kept and everyday we always made a point of seeing someone always cleaning the glass doors leading outside. :goodvibes Don't get me wrong, the Poly has it's pros - proximity to the MK (including use of monorail), Hawaiian music everywhere you go, beautiful (and best) view of the castle and fireworks at night from the beach and pool - but it definitely is showing it's age. I agree with Teena - if riding the monorail daily to the MK is very important (it's a bus from the Y&B), I would switch to either the GF or BLT (the 1 bdroom villa's with monorail view are amazing). Or stay at Y&B and take "monorail rides" whenever you can, like we did!!;)

I am in Boston on business and also visiting our older DD and my DB and his family. You all have written 10 pages since I left here 36 hours ago. I will never catch up!! :eek:

I'd switch to the Grand Floridian myself. As much as I'd like you to come over to the BC, I think since you are there for your son and will be at the Magic Kingdom most of the time and since he loves trains, I'd do the Grand. We loved it there when we stayed there as a family ... 5 trips total. And it's beautiful at Christmas time. Make sure you bring him over to the YC for a visit to see the train that is set up in the lobby and then hop over to the BC to see our chocolate gingerbread carousel in the lobby.

ok...just my personal opinion here...but SWITCH RESORTS!!! I was sooo very disappointed at our last Poly stay...even my super-optimistic husband was disappointed and we wished we had picked another resort. We love the BC..this will be our 4th trip there...but if you want on the mono line and need to be close to the MK, why not try the Contemporary. I know the style is not every ones favorite--not my decorating style to say the least...but the rooms are large, beds are comfy and the view is amazing and you can walk to the MK!!!!!!!! If you really don't like the Cont. definitely switch to the Beach or Yacht Club!!! Cont is our favorite for the MK area and the BC for the Epcot area...you could even do a split stay between them if you can't decide. And the pool area at SAB is soooo cool!!!!! Plus, you can walk right over to Epcot whenever!!!!! I would just be afraid you would get a not-so-great-room at the Poly and be sad you didn't switch ahead of time....

Thanks to everyone who responded. It is so appreciated and I'm still trying to work through it all. I've taken all advice (even that not quoted above) under advisement.

I do have a question about walking through Epcot to take the monorail to Magic Kingdom. That seems like it would be faster than a bus, but I admit I might be missing something. (We'll have park hopper tickets, so admission isn't an issue.)

At WDW, only housekeepers, bell services and valets (of course servers too in restaurants) are allowed to accept CASH tips. Concierge CMs, front desk CMs, recreation CMs, etc. cannot accept CASH tips and if they do and are caught, they will be terminated immediately. However, they can accept gifts including gift cards valued up to $75.00. Lots of guests bring candy and other items from their home state. Others give out all kinds of gift cards (Walmart, VISA, gas, Disney, restaurants, airlines, etc.). I received an absolute beautiful vase recently that a client brought all the way with them from their home. It was made locally where they lived. Hope that helps and gives you some ideas.

What a great idea, I knew that other CM's could not accept tips but wasn't even thinking they could accept gift cards. I think I'll bring a few gc in small denominations to give to CM's that go above and beyond. I'm sure many don't get recognized as they should sometimes.
Jill

Thanks to everyone who responded. It is so appreciated and I'm still trying to work through it all. I've taken all advice (even that not quoted above) under advisement.

I do have a question about walking through Epcot to take the monorail to Magic Kingdom. That seems like it would be faster than a bus, but I admit I might be missing something. (We'll have park hopper tickets, so admission isn't an issue.)

It will take you at least 15 to 20 minutes to walk from the BC to where you would catch the monorail to go to the MK. If you want to catch it in the morning then you would have to wait for Epcot to open first before you could walk through. We have never had a hard time catching the bus but I have heard others say that they have had long wait times. We like to take the monorail back to the BC from MK and just slowly wander our tired feet back to "home". I guess I used a lot of space to say "take the bus". ;) Just my opinion. :flower3:

Bus to/from MK is around 15 minutes- I timed it- plus any waiting time.

It would be at least a 30 minute walk from BC to the front of EPCOT for the monorail. Especially with a 4 year old- remember you still need to do bag-check at the International Gateway. Then the wait for the train, which is usually not long and about 20 minutes travel time to MK. I believe you have to change monos when you get to the TTC. Is that correct? I would budget about an hour travel time to be honest.

That being said. we almost always take the bus to MK and take the monorail back to EPCOT to get to BC.

I adore the BC, but I agree with the above posters. If you will be spending a significant amount more time in MK than EPCOT, you should think about a monorail resort.

Oh no ... it's a long long walk. The bus is much quicker. And you have to take two monorails from Epcot after you make that horribly long walk. One guest told me it took them the normal 4 minutes to walk to Epcot from the BC, then 20 minutes (with stroller) to get to the front of Epcot. They waited 10 minutes for the first monorail. It ended up stopping for "traffic" right before getting to the TTC. Then when they got to the TTC, they had to unload and walk over to the other monorail to take them to MK. They waited another 10 minutes for that monorail and it too stopped for "traffic" before getting to MK. The whole trip took them about 70 minutes.

The bus wait at its longest is normally 20 minutes and then it's a 12 minute bus ride to MK.

I honestly think once your son is older, you should come over to the Y&B but right now, I strongly suggest you switch to the Grand. We absolutely loved it and the CMs and CL service is wonderful. My daughter still calls it her second home. She loved going to the monorail station every morning to go to MK.

I find the Contemporary very cold. BLT is very nice but it's a shorter walk into MK than to the monorail station and the whole thing is you want the monorail for your son.

Oh no ... it's a long long walk. The bus is much quicker. And you have to take two monorails from Epcot after you make that horribly long walk. One guest told me it took them the normal 4 minutes to walk to Epcot from the BC, then 20 minutes (with stroller) to get to the front of Epcot. They waited 10 minutes for the first monorail. It ended up stopping for "traffic" right before getting to the TTC. Then when they got to the TTC, they had to unload and walk over to the other monorail to take them to MK. They waited another 10 minutes for that monorail and it too stopped for "traffic" before getting to MK. The whole trip took them about 70 minutes.

Did I mention I haven't been to Disney for 15 years? Thanks for everyone who chimed in. Grand Floridian is kind of out of our budget unless room discounts come out and Contemporary only has their highest-price rooms available under free dining, making it a lot more than Polynesian. We actually looked at Contemporary first because of its recent refurb and the fact that, as a kid, that riding-into-the hotel-on-the-monorail thrill is pretty big.

I love the way Wilderness Lodge (lobby) looks decorated for Christmas but those rooms seem just as beat as Polynesian, if not more so. (And, again, no monorail, though they do have boat to Magic Kingdom.)

Of course you said they had a (model lobby) train at Yacht Club ... Which would also thrill my son.

Still don't know what I'll eventually do but, all in all, that's not a terrible problem to have, right?

Thinking about switching to the Beach Club. Water view. Are there any full balconies? I wouldn't really want one that you can just stand on. We really enjoy sitting out on the balcony and having a drink or a snack. Last year we stayed at the Yacht Club and loved it but I can't use my 40% code there and can use it at the Beach Club.

Thanks for the help!

Bus to/from MK is around 15 minutes- I timed it- plus any waiting time.

It would be at least a 30 minute walk from BC to the front of EPCOT for the monorail. Especially with a 4 year old- remember you still need to do bag-check at the International Gateway. Then the wait for the train, which is usually not long and about 20 minutes travel time to MK. I believe you have to change monos when you get to the TTC. Is that correct? I would budget about an hour travel time to be honest.

That being said. we almost always take the bus to MK and take the monorail back to EPCOT to get to BC.

I adore the BC, but I agree with the above posters. If you will be spending a significant amount more time in MK than EPCOT, you should think about a monorail resort.

I agree. Someone suggested BLT, it's new and has views of the monorail, your son would love it! CR has the "train station" feel, he'd like that too.

But, if you have some down time towards the end of your trip, I'd suggest the Yacht or Beach Club. SAB is wonderful, in fact stay on the Yacht side and be closer to the sandy beach. They also have movies at night on the beach at 9:00pm, with a bonfire and smores at 8pm. You can also stroll or take a boat to the boardwalk, with activity all day and evening.

Thinking about switching to the Beach Club. Water view. Are there any full balconies? I wouldn't really want one that you can just stand on. We really enjoy sitting out on the balcony and having a drink or a snack. Last year we stayed at the Yacht Club and loved it but I can't use my 40% code there and can use it at the Beach Club.

Thanks for the help!

Make a request now for a full balcony at the Beach Club, ask again when you check in, if you don't receive one ask to be moved as soon as one opens up. I am sure you will be accomodated.

Did I mention I haven't been to Disney for 15 years? Thanks for everyone who chimed in. Grand Floridian is kind of out of our budget unless room discounts come out and Contemporary only has their highest-price rooms available under free dining, making it a lot more than Polynesian. We actually looked at Contemporary first because of its recent refurb and the fact that, as a kid, that riding-into-the hotel-on-the-monorail thrill is pretty big.

I love the way Wilderness Lodge (lobby) looks decorated for Christmas but those rooms seem just as beat as Polynesian, if not more so. (And, again, no monorail, though they do have boat to Magic Kingdom.)

Of course you said they had a (model lobby) train at Yacht Club ... Which would also thrill my son.

Still don't know what I'll eventually do but, all in all, that's not a terrible problem to have, right?

How long are you staying? Do a split stay, BLT and Yacht Club. Save Yacht Club for last, it's very relaxing there. You can also take your son on a boat ride to the Boardwalk after spending the day at Stormalong Bay.

Make a request now for a full balcony at the Beach Club, ask again when you check in, if you don't receive one ask to be moved as soon as one opens up. I am sure you will be accomodated.

Thank you. :thumbsup2

Are there more full balconies or walk out balconies?

I have stayed at the GF once during a split stay, but it is out of our price range also! As for the WL, we stayed there our last night during our past trip. We reaaaaally liked it!! Our room was great!! I don't know about any other rooms, but ours was not shabby or worn down like our room at the Poly had been...and my kids absolutely loved it!!! Only thing with this is if riding the boat to CR is a problem. If the CR is full, and the GF is out of your price range...your only option at this point may be to just stick with the Poly. Not only are you right there at the TTC, it is beautiful outside and the Beach has the view of the fireworks. Maybe you should just stay there and keep calling and asking for availability at the CR....something could open up for you! Other option is to come over to the Y&B and then just spend a certain amount of time each day getting on the mono and riding around and around!!! get off at each resort and check them out--especially since you haven't been in 15 years!!
And let me say this,...as disappointed as I was with the Poly,my room wasn't creepy dirty or falling apart!! It was just old and didn't seem to be kept up...I have read some TRs of other people that had a dirty room, but ours wasn't.My kids liked it, and we loved the proximity to the mono...but we just felt that what we paid for, we could have gotten more for our money at the Cont with a theme park view, or the BC. One more thing then I will stop the Poly-rant!!! Our room was soooo dark...the furniture, the dim lighting...it was depressing. I had to go out to the balconey to put on makeup!! I couldn't see what I was doing in the bathroom!!! CRAZY!! OK...moving on....:cutie:

I made the switch. We are staying at the Beach Club! :banana:

The location just makes more sense for us then staying at WL. I think WL is a beautiful resort but we don't spend that much time at MK. Our favorite parks are Epcot and HS. Last year staying at the Yacht Club was great.

Now I can start researching everything Beach Club. :)

Hi! I am chiming in, not because I can comment on YC or BC (its been 10 years since we stayed there) but I have stayed at the GF and the CR many times.

For my DS7, the CR is the ultimate resort. The first time he saw it, when he was 2, he was fascinated with the "hotel that ate the monorail" We have stayed there in the wing and the Tower and like them both (the tower more for obvious reasons, but the wing has the same decor and is still a great location for the price!) If you can get the CR, I would take it over the Poly in a heartbeat.

As for the GF, it is our VERY favorite resort in all of WDW. But after 3 stays in 2 years, we are kind of done with it (and I NEVER thought I would say this!) We stayed RPC (main building CL) last December and I am so glad we experienced it, but it not worth the price (and we stayed with a pretty hefty AP discount).

If you can get a discounted garden view room at the GF, that would bring the price in line with the Poly (and the CR was unavailable) then I would book the GF for the same reasons Teena said.

I can't remember exactly when you said you were going (I think it was in December?) but if it is a time of year when you wouldn't be swimming, then I would save YC/BC for another trip since SAB is one of the best assets of these resorts. The pool at the GF is pretty and the one at CR is improved (but still bleh) so I wouldn't feel bad about not getting to use either of them.

Good luck with your choice! But in the end, go with your gut and choose what is best for you and your family!

Ok so my October 2010 trip is upcoming and I'm already thinking 2011! It's always just DD and myself. We love Christmas at Disney, but DD wants to be at Disney for Thanksgiving. I started checking and really want to do the platinum dinning plan... DD and I did a plan similar to this a few years ago and loved it. We love the tours more than the rides. DD will be 26 which probably is why she loves the tours more! So I've priced the vacation for Thanksgiving week with the platinum plan. The thing is we both love staying CL especially me because of the IPO CM's. The platinum plan gives you access to IPO (not the CM's through CL though). When we did the plan a few years ago you didn't have access to IPO and I made all the reservations myself. Has anyone ever done the platinum plan using the IPO you get with that plan?? I think I know what I'm going to do because I love CL that much, but I'm trying to figure out if it is a waste of money to stay CL if you are paying for the IPO using the platinum plan?? AHHHHH someone help me figure it out! Teena if you have any advice I would appreciate it. The CM I spoke to last night has done it both ways and said the service was very good either way and pretty much agreed with me that it would be a waste to stay CL except I have grown to love it (husband says I'm spoiled and I'm ok with that).

This is what happens when your upcoming trip is all planned and paid for and all your doing is sitting around reading the Yacht Club Disboard Thread!!!

Help!!

~Nannette

I made the switch. We are staying at the Beach Club! :banana:

The location just makes more sense for us then staying at WL. I think WL is a beautiful resort but we don't spend that much time at MK. Our favorite parks are Epcot and HS. Last year staying at the Yacht Club was great.

Now I can start researching everything Beach Club. :)

yay for you!!! I liked the WL too, but with 3 kids that bumped us up to a higher rate...can't justify it! I would rather spend the money at the BC or the CR Theme park view rooms!!!! Maybe if just me and hubby go someday......

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter