• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

You must be swift as the coursing river (as long as it's the Lazy River) - comments welcome

As I am getting caught up I keep finding people that are racing today. Hope your race went well. Fingers crossed for a new PR and POT!

Race recap: DC Half

Packet pick-up
For once, this was super-easy - the run was organized by our local running store and they had packet pick-up at the branch nearest to me, about a 10-minute walk away. I picked up my stuff at lunchtime on Friday and stopped for empanadas on the way home.

Race morning
Why are my race day mornings always beset with problems? I set my alarm for 5 a.m. and got out the door with the dog around 5:20. We got back around 6, which gave me time to have a small breakfast and some coffee and to get myself ready before I headed out the door at 6:45 6:50 6:55 😒

I took a bikeshare to the start line and would have been fine on timing except that there weren't any bike docks near the start line. I had to bike a few minutes away and then jog back with my helmet and gear bag. Fun times. I dropped off the bag just as they were starting the race at 7:30. It was like deja vu all over again.

The race
So despite actually knowing where I was going this time, I still ended up towards the back of the pack again. (When I last ran the same course in May, I got lost and also arrived right at the gun.) Somehow, though, this time I was able to weave through all those runners - starting behind the 3:00 pace group! - at a reasonable clip. At the start, T+D was around 65+62.

As you may recall, I was aiming for 1:53:45/8:41 pace even though I thought it was pretty unlikely I'd actually manage it. The longest run I'd done at that pace was 5 miles, and those generally didn't go particularly well. So I was surprised that, 5 miles into the race, I was coming in under my pace goal and still feeling okay. I didn't do anything clever like hitting the lap button at each mile marker so these are probably a little off, but:
  • Mile 1: 8:10
  • Mile 2: 8:28
  • Mile 3: 8:34
  • Mile 4: 8:35
  • Mile 5: 8:42
I probably would have been better off taking it easier at the start, but I always have trouble settling into a pace, and in any case it all worked out. Even as we got to the turnaround (around mile 8.5; there's kind of a loop and then an out-and-back) and up to the mile 9 marker, I was still feeling pretty good. I had my caramel macchiato GU about 30 minutes in and my Maurten gel about an hour in, refilled my handheld water around the halfway point, and felt like I was reasonably hydrated and fueled.
  • Mile 6: 8:31
  • Mile 7: 8:32
  • Mile 8: 8:26
  • Mile 9: 8:29
Note that my HR was pretttttty high this whole time (like low 180s), and this was the point where it started to be a real challenge. The next couple of miles were still not terrible, but I was definitely starting to feel the strain, and my HR crept up a couple bpm. I refilled my water again and had a strawberry hüma.
  • Mile 10: 8:31
  • Mile 11: 8:37
Then things really started to get hard. It was warmer and quite sunny (T+D probably 69+63), and I was dying. Somebody in The Running Thread just asked about running mantras, and everybody says nice things to themselves, like "you've trained for this!" and "you're awesome and you can do it!"

My mantras are not like that. The things I say to myself at this point in the race are more like "suck it up" and "you'd better not f$%& this up now" because I am a kind and warm person 😂 But it does kind of work, and when you feel like you can barely lift your legs anymore, you have to take what you can get.
  • Mile 12: 8:40
  • Mile 13: 8:37
  • Mile 13.1: 8:07
According to my watch: 13.19 miles, 1:52:30, 8:31 per mile. And 185 bpm (!). Per race results, I finished in 1:52:51, almost a whole minute below the goal I thought I had barely the tiniest sliver of a chance of achieving. It's still kind of sinking in. Plus that's more than 7 minutes faster than my previous PR. It's amazing what actually training for a race will get you.

Now excuse me while I go update my POT for MW 😃

Last edited:
Nice job. you are not alone though, I swear at myself to get my butt moving and use all kinds of four letter words. whatever gets you there.

September 19 - 25, 2022
Recovery/Marathon Training Week 1 | 105 days until WDW Marathon

In which I experience technical difficulties
  • M-T: rest
  • W: 3.44 mi, 36:37, 10:37 per mile, 143 bpm
  • T: strength training, 128 bpm
  • F: 4 mi, 39:00, 9:44 per mile, 150 bpm + core
  • S: [recorded] 3.63 mi, 34:38, 9:32 per mile, 148 bpm + [not recorded] 3.8? mi, 38:00?
  • S: strength training, 95 bpm
Weekly mileage: 14.87(ish)
Training time: 3:23:36

I elected to give myself a break after the HM on Sunday. So I got my covid booster and flu shot, ran errands, went to the dentist, met my coworkers for happy hour, and took my dog for his regularly scheduled four walks per day. And this is how I do rest days!

By Wednesday I was bored, so I went for a run. My legs were still a little tired so I took it easy - look how low my HR was! That's like the very bottom of my cardio range. I thought I was going to have karate in the evening, but apparently we're on hiatus for a couple of weeks because my gym is not very organized with the scheduling.

Thursday I was trying to squeeze in strength training before going to the office, so I picked a relatively short lower body workout that I've done many times. There are jump squats throughout, so it kept my HR relatively high for a strength workout.

My note for Friday's run just says, "Lolol it's fall." T+D ~ 95. Like, total. And look how my pace magically drops 30-60 seconds per mile and HR stays low. If only this had been the weather on Sunday, POT would have been so much easier. When I got home, I did a core workout but forgot to record it on my watch 😒

Since we didn't have karate on Saturday, I decided to do my long run then. I was going to run about a 7.5-mile loop, and I was feeling good about it. The weather was still nice and my pace was still good. However, about 2 miles in my watch told me that it only had 10% battery left, which was weird because it had been plugged in all night, just like every night. Then about halfway through the run, it died, which was very annoying. I do know about how far the loop is and how long I ran after my watch died, so I approximated based on that. It turns out that while I did connect the watch end of the charger, the other end had come unplugged, so no charging all night 😡

Sunday was another basic strength workout, this time focused on upper body exercises. So that's it for my recovery week, and next week the real marathon training starts!

1664132581977.png

Last edited:
September 26 - October 2, 2022
Marathon training week 2 | 98 days until WDW Marathon

In which I fumble the ball but maintain possession

Monday
Planned: 35 min easy + 10 min @ LTP (8:14)
Completed: 35:03/3.63mi easy (9:39) + 10:35/1.31mi@8:05 + 4:31/0.47mi easy (9:37)
Total: 5.37 mi, 50:11, 162 bpm

New training plan, new format because it's gotten too complicated to list basic run info without explanation. This is my first real workout of the Run Like a Pro Level 1 marathon plan, and my first attempt to hit my theoretical LTP. First, I didn't sleep well the night before and the first couple of miles were a little rough. Eventually I settled in. Second, based on my previous experience trying to hit new paces, I was not surprised to be off. Instead of lactate threshold I was basically running this at critical velocity. But it was my first try, so it wasn't too bad.

Plus: lower body strength training

This was a relatively easy workout for the most part and it was fine, except that I realized about halfway through that I probably should have eaten something if I was going to run for 50 minutes and then do resistance training. I survived though.

Tuesday
Rest. Plenty of walking to and from the office twice but no workouts.

Wednesday
Planned: 35 min easy
Completed: 36 min easy (9:54)
Total: 3.63 mi

I'm enjoying the T+D<100 (or not much above it at least) that we're having here, although I wouldn't have minded a little slower transition from summer to fall. Cooler weather is great for running but it feels like we went straight from summer to late fall! Also my watch decided it didn't feel like measuring my HR for most of this run, but it felt easy so that's what I'm going with.

Thursday
Planned: 10 min easy + drills and strides + 6x1 min@MAS(7:09)/2 min easy + 10 min easy
Completed: 10 min easy + 7x1 min@MAS(ish)/2 min easy + drills + 4 strides + 11:29 easy (9:28)
Total: 5.09 mi, 47:26, 163 bpm
MAS splits: ?, 6:59, 6:47, 6:55, 7:08, 7:16, 7:13

I am having lots of learning experiences this week. I downloaded Intervals Pro to use for these kinds of workouts, but it's taking me a while to figure it out. On Monday there was a permission I didn't realize the app needed to work and I didn't have my phone with me on the run, so I couldn't use it for that workout. Then for this run, I tried to have Intervals Pro and the Apple Workout app running at the same time and didn't notice until I got to my first MAS interval that starting Apple Workout had stopped Intervals Pro. So I had to track everything myself.

All that to say that I spent a lot of time looking at my watch on this run, and my intervals weren't exact. Also there was an extra one in there, because it's hard to keep track. I didn't feel too tired though, which is good because I have the same workout next week but with 8 intervals.

With all the technological drama, I forgot to do drills and strides after the warmup, so instead I did them after the intervals. That actually worked out okay because I ended up at Lafayette Square, which turns out to be a pretty good place to do things that aren't just running in a straight line. I'll have to plan routes that take me to a park or something for drills + strides time.

And of course, it pretty much goes without saying at this point that I'm not very good at new paces and I was kind of all over the place. I was getting closer by the end, though - the last couple were slightly uphill so it makes sense they were a little slower.

Plus: upper body strength training

I ate this time, which was better.

Friday
Completed: 35:36 easy (9:45)
Total: 3.65 mi, 147 bpm

Cool and dry, cloudy, nice and easy.

Plus: core

Saturday
Completed: 41:21 easy (9:55)
Total: 4.17 mi, 156 bpm

Karate is still not back, so I figured I might as well switch to the optional run in the plan for the day. The weather was overcast and drizzly, but it made for fairly pleasant running overall.

I'm finding that I have trouble with these timed runs. Most of my runs are out and back, which is easy to do by distance. Three miles out is pretty much going to be three miles back. But with hills and just general variation in pace, 18 minutes out is not necessarily 18 minutes back. And that's how I ended up with a 41-minute run when the plan was 35 minutes.

Sunday
Planned: 8 mi easy
Completed: 8.05 mi easy (9:55)
Total: 1:49:46, 159 bpm

Another cool, drizzly morning (and afternoon) in the nation's capital. This run was pretty unremarkable except that I have concluded that 8 miles is not long enough to run up to Rock Creek - I get barely 2 miles on the actual trail with most of the run being an annoyingly hilly trek to and from the park. I usually enjoy the big hill going down to the park (albeit not so much going back up), but this time I was worried I was going to slip on all the wet leaves. Fortunately I did not, but it's much more fun when you don't spend the whole time thinking you're about to fall.

Totals
Miles: 29.96
Time: 5:32:15

I guess I should have squeezed in another 0.04 mi! Not that my watch is really that accurate, but it would have been nice to hit 30. This is actually basically where I ended up in the highest-mileage week of my HM plan, but spread out over 6 days instead of 4 so it felt easier.

Coming up
A similar week to this week, ending in a 10-mile long run. And hopefully the return of karate!

Last edited:
October 3 - 9, 2022
Marathon training week 3 | 91 days until WDW Marathon

In which the cold bothered me. Anyway...

Monday
Completed: 35 min easy (10:01, maybe)
Total: 35:01, 3.49 miles maybe, 147 bpm sort of

The weather was STILL cold and rainy and I was over it, so I went around the corner to the gym and ran on the treadmill. It was boring. My watch and the treadmill disagreed about how far and fast I ran. I'm inclined to go with my watch because my HR was so low (even though it didn't capture HR data for the first 15 minutes), but on the other hand, how does my watch know how far I ran if I wasn't moving? The treadmill said 3.6 miles and 9:50 pace. So it's kind of whatever.

Plus: core (mostly Pilates)

Tuesday
Rest. Still crappy weather

Wednesday
Planned: 10 min easy + drills and strides + 4 x 4 min@CV (8:04)/2 min easy + 10 min easy
Completed: 10 min easy + drills + 4 x 4 min @ HI/2 min easy + 10 min easy
Total: 44:01, 4.64 mi, 171 bpm
Intervals: 7:37, 7:34, 7:55, 7:33

I did this workout after work because it was still gross out in the morning. I finally got Intervals Pro to work. Unfortunately it turns out Intervals Pro is terrible. I have some doubts about all of this data, and I couldn't tell how fast I was running because it only showed me interval pace or something unhelpful like that. So who even knows.

Plus: lower body strength training

This one was short but not easy, especially the 45s of jump squats. (Instead of the combo I did all jump squats straight through. And then I was tired.)

Thursday
Planned: 40 min easy
Completed: 40 min easy (10:25)
Total: 40:00, 3.84 mi, 151 bpm

Since I did this run in the morning, my legs were still pretty tired from Wednesday evening's workout and strength training. They did loosen up after a mile or so. And I made up for skipping the strides Wednesday by doing four strides throughout the run.

Friday
Planned: 10 min easy + drills and strides + 8 x 1 min @ MAS (7:09)/2 min easy + 10 min easy
Completed: 12 min easy + drills and strides + 8 x 1 min @ HI/2 min easy + 10 min easy
Intervals: 7:15, 7:29, 7:47, 7:45, 7:25, 7:03, 7:17, 7:41
Total: 5.22 mi, 161 bpm

Thursday night I realized I could download the new OS for my Apple Watch, which lets you input interval workouts, if I updated my phone, so I did that. But it finished too late for me to play with it, so I just put my run in that morning. It did work, but there were several flaws. Most significantly, apparently the Workout app update reset my preferences for what the screen shows while I'm running, so I again couldn't see my current pace and didn't know how fast I was going. I aimed for fast-but-not-strides-fast, but apparently I ran too slowly except for one time, which was annoying. Also my legs were still kind of tired.

Plus: upper body strength training

Saturday
Completed: 35:08 easy (9:25)
Total: 3.7 mi, 151 bpm

My legs finally felt decent again and I had a pleasant run up 16th and back.

Sunday
Planned: 10 mi easy
Completed: 10.08 mi easy (9:37)
Total: 1:37:01, 163 bpm*

It was very chilly this morning (42ºF when I left) and I could not figure out what to do with it. I had just been reading about dressing like it's 20º warmer so I had shorts, a t-shirt, and a light jacket, and I was freezing for the first several miles. I hate being cold. Eventually I warmed up a bit, but I never took the jacket off like I expected to. How do I run when it's cold out??

ID: not me (it's Elsa saying "The cold never bothered me anyway")

On the bright side, the zoo loop finally opened again after an interminable period of construction, so I got to do significantly more of my run in Rock Creek Park and I didn't have to run back up the half-mile hill on the way back! (I still had to run up a hill, but it was steeper but shorter, which is a win in my book.)

*At one point my watch got stuck on 175 bpm and I had a moment of minor panic. Was I dying? Was I already overtraining? Was I sick? I didn't feel like I was working that hard. But I'm pretty sure it was just cadence-locked, and then I was kind of happy because that was pretty good. A few months ago my average cadence was in the mid-160s, and now it's up in the low 170s (and up to 175 apparently), so I'm improving! But anyway, my actual average HR is probably lower than this because the cadence lock kept happening.

Fuel
Pre-run: small slice of apple pie (lol)
Mid-run: chocolate GU @ 40 min, apple cinnamon hüma @ 70 min
Post-run: blueberry yogurt smoothie

This was fine. The chocolate GU tasted like very smooth brownie batter. The hüma tasted like smoother applesauce. I preferred the brownies.

Totals
Miles: 30.97
Time: 5:31:22

How do I keep ending up just short of a whole number though?

Coming up
Cutback week - similar on weekdays and back to 8 miles for the long run

Last edited:
It was very chilly this morning (42ºF when I left) and I could not figure out what to do with it. I had just been reading about dressing like it's 20º warmer so I had shorts, a t-shirt, and a light jacket, and I was freezing for the first several miles. I hate being cold. Eventually I warmed up a bit, but I never took the jacket off like I expected to. How do I run when it's cold out??

LOL, I am in Pittsburgh for a few days, and my runs in the morning are starting at that temperature. I'm wearing a tank top and shorts. :) If it's windy, I might regret that a bit. I'm certainly cold for a few minutes, but then it's OK. However, I like to feel cold when I'm running. But I'm totally opposite when not running: I feel cold and I hate it and want to be warm.

More seriously, you need to experiment a bit. Maybe you won't feel so cold if you wear gloves and/or a hat (and potentially lose the jacket), etc. People try different combinations that work for them. Maybe a vest? Also, the amount of wind makes a huge difference with low temperatures. 42 F with no wind and 42 F with a strong breeze can feel totally different.

LOL, I am in Pittsburgh for a few days, and my runs in the morning are starting at that temperature. I'm wearing a tank top and shorts. :)
Haha, well I am from Florida, so I'm much more used to running when it's hot than when it's cooler. And even though I've been in DC for 8 or 9 years now, before I decided it was a good idea to sign up for a January marathon I just didn't run when the weather didn't seem pleasant. So I'm really not used to running in the cold! You're right about needing to experiment - I'll try some things and hopefully find something that works.

Maybe you won't feel so cold if you wear gloves and/or a hat (and potentially lose the jacket), etc.
Maybe try covering your ears— I wear a buff on colder days kind of like a headband for this and it helps a lot. I get hot easily and also find that wearing gloves at the beginning but being able to take them off works well. I think this winter I’m going to experiment with getting a vest to keep my core a little warmer.
The thing that gets me is that 50 in the fall feels waaay colder than 50 in the spring.
I always laugh at this bc my college students will be bundled up at 50 in the fall but at 50 in the spring they’re all sunbathing on the quad wearing hardly anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter