XM or Sirius - what the heck is it and where can i get it cheap?

jeepgirl30

DIS Veteran
DH wants either XM or Sirius for Christmas. I know nothing other than you need some piece of equipment and then a monthly service.

I did a quick check on amazon and see them from $17 - $200! I have no clue what to get or what he needs to have it operational.

I can not spend a lot, he mentioned you could get it for around $25. What would that include and where should I buy it?

Thanks!!!

Well first you have to decide which service you want XM or Serius- it all lies in the programming(Sirius is Howard Stern and football) XM (MLB) The rest of it seems pretty similar between the two. If you search this board there was a long debate about black friday promos at Circuit City and the rebates offered for all of them. Most of those rebates are still available. You need the receiver and some kind of a car kit. Then if you want to play it in your home or office some kind of boom box (I think) I don't know much and am anxious to hear what others put here.

Hope this helps you out. Picked this up as a gift - Audiovox w/car Kit (free after rebate) @ circuit city pretty basic unit, Home Kit 29.99 @ compusa. You will need one of these kits to have it work. $30 program gift card (this will pay for a couple of months of service) @ radio shack. Each of the models offers something different from basic to all the bells and whistles. I got a qoute of $100 for car installation which would include being hardwired into the electric, rather than the lighter.

Good Luck. Hope this helps

For XM the Delphi Roady 2 is probably the cheapest and easiest to install. It does not require professional installation, a dock or boom box. The cost for XM is $12.99 a month, so make sure you figure that into your pricing.

I just purchased the Delphi XM SKYFi2 receiver with boombox for $29. They had some free packages, with either a car kit or a home kit, but I wanted the boombox. I got it through a friends and family promotion with XM. I had to pre-pay 3 months of service and have a 6 month commitment with them. I checked to see if the promotion was still going on but the website is busy so its not letting me in. If it is still going on I will post later

Plus don't forget XM has all of the NHL games, for those that are interested.

Sirius and FM are satellite radio.

Dh works out of his car (self-employed mobile computer tech) and loves music (not interested in sports or Howard Stern :sunny: ) and he has had both Sirius and XM in his car (for several months he had both!). He likes Sirius much better, FYI.

DH has spent several hundred $$ on equipment, but he is such a techy kind of guy! I don't know what $25.00 would buy, but there is a monthly charge for both Sirius and XM.

We received XM Satellite radio in our new 2006 GMC truck. It also has about 100 different music stations. I personally like 22 the MIX, 21 KISS, or channel 20 which is the top 20 pop rock.

After our 3 months of free service they wanted $17.95 a month. My husband said no way, I missed it at first, but we are rarely in our truck in the winter. Each month I pretty much receive a promo from XM radio. The first one was 3 monts for $9.00. Then I received one for $79 for a year-which would of been around $6.50 a month. (that would of been a deal). This month was $3.99 for 3 months, then regular fee of $17.95.

XM also gives you weather and road conditions for major cities. This was nice, when we were traveling around Chicago, Lexington, Indy, etc.

It's like having cable tv, you choose whether you want to buy for something or not,

We have the XM satellite roady which is cool because you can take it and move it around from car to car and inside the house. We prefer XM because we prefer music. I guess Sirius has more talk stations and XM has more music. There you go!

Another XM fan here-couldn't care less about Stern.
Music selection much better-more channels to choose from.

Roady was free after rebate at Comp USA on Black Friday. Found a code for free activation and 3 months free on Fat Wallet. Haven't listened to commercial radio since.

XM is the best. Sirius units are butt-ugly and XM has a slightly more channels. I personally have it for Opie & Anthony, they are awesome.

Well hopefully I will be getting Sirius for xmas, Stern is the main reason im getting it, cant wait!!!!!!!!!!

The longer you subscribe to XM, the cheaper it is. DH just extended my free trial to 3 years for only $300.

We have both XM and Sirius and prefer Sirius! They are both very good though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter