Would you buy a chevy?

I wouldn't buy a chevy because of the extensive list of people I know that have had major problems with them. Even people I know that claim to love them and have no issues with them, if prompted, will start listing "issues" they have had that have been under warranty that they don't seem to consider as being a problem.

I tell them that I had a Toyota Sienna minivan for 5 years and ONLY ever changed the oil. They look at me like they don't believe me. :confused3

I got my husband hooked on Toyotas and Nissans too. No issues with any of the cars we have owned in the last 16 years.

I think some people that own American cars (my neighbors are examples of this) think it's normal for stuff under warranty to just go bad and they don't consider that to be a problem with the cars. These people will actually tell you that their cars are "great cars." Their 3 American cars all have had things stop working in them...mostly annoying things like batteries, air conditioning, power windows, etc. Even some major stuff like engine things, but because its all under warranty, it's like it's no big deal to them. That would drive me totally crazy.

I would read consumer reports before I'd buy a chevy or any American car. I have been reading really good things about Fords recently. My sister in law's parents were die-hard Honda lovers and they just bought a Ford Edge and love it. It got good reviews too. Have you considered Ford?
I could have written this post (in fact, I did elude to some of that when I posted.

I did buy a Ford. One of the most popular small SUVs on the market is the Ford Escape. Everyone "loves" them. Everyone always mentions routine maintenance but no problems. Though much of what people mention is indeed routine maintenance, what they don't realize is the difference in how often that routine maintenance is done.

Example of my wonderful Ford Escape. At 35,000 miles it failed state inspection. It failed because of routine maintenance. The brake rotors were shot. Yes, this is routine maintenance, but the fact that I had to change out rotors on a 35,000 mile Ford and while doing that, I figured I would change the rotors on my Nissan as well really throws up the flag for me. See, the difference is, the Ford original rotors needed replaced at 35,000 miles. My Nissan sat next to it with 165,000 miles also getting the original rotors replaced. Both routine, far different longevity.

Those rotors also sat in my garage in the corner for about a year and a half. Upon doing some cleanup of junk under my pine trees from the previous owner of the house, I loaded up to take a bunch of scrap metal to the scrap yard. I ducked into the corner of the garage to grab the rotors that sat there for a year and a half. The Nissan rotors were still in the same condition just sitting there. The Ford rotors were nearly reduced to a pile of rust on the floor. This was just sitting in the garage out of the weather environment.

Someone mentioned about working on a Chevy and how easy it was. I found the opposite. Nothing frustrated me more than trying to work on the brakes on my wife's Chevy when we first got married. I was use to Toyotas, designed simple to make routine maintenance a simple task. 5 minutes to change brakes on a Toyota, struggling and cursing for well over an hour to work on the Chevy's brakes.

Absolutely!! The truth is you will always find people that will object to any car company for whatever reason. Any car can have problems. I am ashamed to say that my parents owned a Kia and it was the worst car ever, they ended up basically having to junk it after only like two years.

As a Metro-Detroiter, I have to say~ please buy domestic, support the American economy!

I just moved to the metro detroit area and we drive a Honda and a Toyota! Boy have some people in this state been very rude!

On another note, I am surprised to see so many people say they drove their Chevy to 100,000. Is that a big deal for a chevy:confused3 My DH's 2004 TOyota Sequoia has 140,000 and is no where near the point where we would think of getting rid of it.

We have owned 1 new Chevy, 1 new GMC, and 1 new Ford in the 15 years we have been married. Each one was traded in for problems that were recurring or that the dealer could not solve (ford). Personally, I'll stick with Honda or Toyota unless we hit the lottery and my Dh buys me a 1965 mustang;)

Here's an interesting article on "foreign" vs "domestic" cars:
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...oes-made-america-really-matter-134034850.html

For all the talk about the resurgence of American automakers, "Made in America" is really a matter of marketing. For example, a Honda Accord made and assembled in America has 80% U.S.-sourced parts vs. 65% for a Ford Escape, Resnick notes in the accompanying video, taped at the show earlier this week.

"It's built in America. Designed in America. Marketed in America and sold in America," he says of the Accord. "It's an American car with a Japanese nameplate."

In fact, Resnick notes Honda exports cars made at its plants in Alabama and Ohio from America to 30 other countries. On the other hand, some Ford, GM and Chrysler cars are imported to America from Mexico and Canada.

If you're concerned about American jobs, you might want to consider a Honda built in Alabama or a Kia built in Georgia over a Ford or GM built in Mexico.

Personally DH and will only buy Hondas, Toyotas or Subarus. We just feel the quality and reliability are far superior to American manufacturers. We keep our cars so it's important for us to go with ones that require minimal service and have very few problems. We just traded our 15 yo Honda for a Subaru and will likely keep the new car for at least 10 years.

You sound like my family. My husband drives a Toyota, I drive a Honda and we're about to sell our 11 year old Honda for a Subaru. No real problems on my Honda. The Toyota did need some repairs 2 weeks ago that we had done. But it's a 10 year old car that gets driven 54 miles a day to and from work. It works hard!

Absolutely!! The truth is you will always find people that will object to any car company for whatever reason. Any car can have problems. I am ashamed to say that my parents owned a Kia and it was the worst car ever, they ended up basically having to junk it after only like two years.

As a Metro-Detroiter, I have to say~ please buy domestic, support the American economy!

ITA!! Although we don't live in Detroit, we live in America and want to see it thrive!

Maybe the slogan should be changed from *Made in America* to *Profits STAY in AMERICA* !!!

We buy vehicles where the PROFITS STAY IN AMERICA.
(Ford, Chrysler, GM ect) Never had a real problem yet, ever.
:thumbsup2

(flame away, I think we've all heard it all anyway :rolleyes1:rotfl2:

We just bought a 2011 Chevy Cruze last night and we researched a bunch of cars. DH got it because he drives 50miles each way to work and it get great gas mileage. So far we're pretty happy with it. We replaced his 2000 Saturn that had 160,000 miles on it.

Thanks for all of the opinions. I need to go test drive all 3 this week/weekend and then make a decision. All 3 actually get good reviews from the sites I've looked at.

ITA!! Although we don't live in Detroit, we live in America and want to see it thrive!

Maybe the slogan should be changed from *Made in America* to *Profits STAY in AMERICA* !!!

We buy vehicles where the PROFITS STAY IN AMERICA.
(Ford, Chrysler, GM ect) Never had a real problem yet, ever.
:thumbsup2

(flame away, I think we've all heard it all anyway :rolleyes1:rotfl2:

I'm not partial to any company, but I refuse to buy any product based on where it is made or who it is made by. I buy products based on the utility they provide to me and their reputation. If American companies want my business, they need to build a quality product that meets my needs and stand behind their products.

You sound like my family. My husband drives a Toyota, I drive a Honda and we're about to sell our 11 year old Honda for a Subaru. No real problems on my Honda. The Toyota did need some repairs 2 weeks ago that we had done. But it's a 10 year old car that gets driven 54 miles a day to and from work. It works hard!

Here's an interesting article on "foreign" vs "domestic" cars:
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...oes-made-america-really-matter-134034850.html

If you're concerned about American jobs, you might want to consider a Honda built in Alabama or a Kia built in Georgia over a Ford or GM built in Mexico.

I wish you could explain that to some of the metro Detroit population! I cannot tell you what a let down it is to be stationed in the lower 48 and to be treated badly for the type of car we drive! We have had people shout out their windows that we need to quit buying foreign, we havegotten flipped off and thumbs down sign, we had another guy in the lowes parking lot point at his bumper sticker that said soemthing about quit buying foreign when we were driving by in my Pilot. Little do they know more of my Pilot is built in the US then some of there cars:rolleyes1 Needless to say it is coloring my opinion of Michigan:sick:

Thanks for all of the opinions. I need to go test drive all 3 this week/weekend and then make a decision. All 3 actually get good reviews from the sites I've looked at.

Good luck! Car shopping can be stressful when you have so many factors to decide when buying a car!

We only drive GM because my FIL is a GM employee. We've never had any more problems with our vehicles than anyone else we know who drives other brands have had. My van just 100,000, my husband's Cavalier has 170,000 miles on it. You can get a lemon from anyone. You can get a great car from anyone.

I work for an OEM manufacturer of automotive parts. Toyota and GM are our biggest work and also make Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes, and Subaru. All of our Ford parts are shipped to Mexico and probably 90% of the GM parts are shipped to Canada. 100% of Toyota and Nissan are shipped to other states in the US (not sure where BMW and Mercedes go.)

We have a manufacturing plant in Detroit and guess where the GM parts made there are sent to? Yup, Canada.

The GM stuff we do ship elsewhere in the US are mostly to a next tier supplier who assembles a larger part. I don't know where they ship to.

We don't do much for Ford here in PA. The plant in Mexico does most of our Ford manufacturing since it all goes to Mexico to the assembly line.

Our best supplier discounts would be for GM and Nissan. Both would result in my cost being thousands less than dealer cost. I still would never even think of buying a GM. Nissan I simply couldn't afford. I made a huge mistake of buying a brand new Ford over a used Honda or Toyota for sure. So much premature routine maintenance.

My 2003 Impala has 150,000 miles on it and going strong. Just routine maintaince. Same thing for DH's GM pick up truck. over 160k. We have had several GM vehicles with over 200k miles on them over the yrs. Last Sept bought A 2011 Chevy Traverse.

So yes I would/did buy Chevy.

.To make such a generalized statement about Chevy vehicles, that they all have problems or are in the shop all the time is ridiculous.

Talk to enough people and someone out there will have a problem with at least every vehicle out there.

We had a 1997 Chevy Tahoe , it had close to 200,000 miles on it. Not a problem with it in all the years we owned it. We sold it to DH's cousin because I wanted a newer vehicle. Now I wish we would have kept it. With gas at $4.00 a gallon it will be a while before I can talk DH into buying another large SUV , no matter what make and model.

DH has a Chevy Cobalt and loves it. he gets about 38 miles to the gallon and is in heaven.

So to answer your question yes I would buy a Chevy. DH and I are actually looking for a Corvette right now. Orange Convertible. :cloud9:

.To make such a generalized statement about Chevy vehicles, that they all have problems or are in the shop all the time is ridiculous.

Talk to enough people and someone out there will have a problem with at least every vehicle out there.

We had a 1997 Chevy Tahoe , it had close to 200,000 miles on it. Not a problem with it in all the years we owned it. We sold it to DH's cousin because I wanted a newer vehicle. Now I wish we would have kept it. With gas at $4.00 a gallon it will be a while before I can talk DH into buying another large SUV , no matter what make and model.

DH has a Chevy Cobalt and loves it. he gets about 38 miles to the gallon and is in heaven.

So to answer your question yes I would buy a Chevy. DH and I are actually looking for a Corvette right now. Orange Convertible. :cloud9:
Well said! :)

I wouldn't but thats because I love Ford cars! I am very brand loyal I guess.

Oh I just saw you are comparing it to a Kia. I used to work at Enterprise and the Kias were AWFUL!!!! Sure they are cheap, but scary. My sister rear ended someone on the freeway at about 45 in her Kia Rio and the airbag did not deploy, which shocked the officers. Luckily, she was okay. I started paying more attention after that and I had about 5 other customers get in similar accidents in their Kias with similar results. We also had horrible issues with the dealerships. They would sit for a month or more waiting on a part. Eventually, we had a directive from corporate that there was only one dealership in town (Phoenix) that we were allowed to send our Kias to.

The Enterprise that dealt with the nearest Kia dealership (not the one we could send our cars to) also stopped taking direct bill deals from the dealership, meaning if the customers' cars went in for warranty work and the customer was sent to Enterprise for a rental car(which they generally were) the customer had to pay us and then get reimbursed. This was because they would frequently approve a direct bill and then have the customer's car for 3 weeks or more. Then the last day, they would say "Oh, we are only going to pay for one day. The customer needs to cover the rest," which was hundreds of dollars at that point. The customer would scream at the office and the dealership would tell the customers, "oh they should just right it off for you." It was nuts. Now, this was 3-5 years ago, so maybe things are better now, but it was crazy!!

I fully agree that you'll hear a million different opinions about any car. You have to decide what works for you and what you really want. Personally, I would never buy a Hyundai or a Kia...but that's my preference. As far as my personal car experience, my first car was a 1997 Honda Accord. It currently has 167,000 miles on it, runs fine mechanically, and instead of selling it or trading it in for a new one, I kept it and still drive it fairly regularly. It's really nice to have a car you don't care quite so much about when the weather is bad or you need to take your dogs to the vet, etc. When I bought my new car, I was determined that I only wanted another Honda. I ended up buying a 2008 Accord, and never had anything but a moment's trouble from day one. I ended up going into litigation over that car it was so bad. After everything was said and done I couldn't even think about buying another Accord and since I had never really had any desire to own anything else...I had to start at square one. After intensive research, and test driving just about every car imaginable, I bought a brand new 2009 Malibu LTZ which has been an absolutely fantastic car. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about. And would I buy another Chevy? My fiance needs a new car...and I've suckered him into taking my Malibu so that I can get a new Volt:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter