Would you buy a chevy?

linnylu

Mouseketeer
We are car shopping for a 2011 chevy cruze, kia forte, or hyundai elantra.
We really liked the cruze and mentioned it to our neighbor. He said he'd never buy a chevy with all their problems. I got a phone call so I couldn't continue the conversation and see why he felt that way. I thought I'd ask the Dis their opinion of Chevy and also the 2 other cars we are looking at.

I had a Chevy Venture which lasted nearly 10+ years and close to 150,000 miles when we finally decided to trade it in for a Chevy Equinox. I am completely in love with the Equinox. It was one of the few vehicles that met all of our requirements.

I've been quite happy with my Chevy products. No complaints here.

I don't know anything about the specific cars you have mentioned. But, I have a Chevrolet, that is a 2000! It is still in GREAT shape. It has about 180,000 miles on it. It has been paid off for about 7 years, and every year I am like "I am getting a new car this year"... But, I just cannot find any reason to! I have had to put minimal amounts of money into it besides oil changes etc. The inside and out are in great shape, I have ZERO complaints and have been very happy with it.

Yes. Analysts predict GM to become the #1 car company this year due to the issues toyota is having from the tsunami.

Yes. Analysts predict GM to become the #1 car company this year due to the issues toyota is having from the tsunami.

Personaly I'd rather hear GM is predicted to be #1 because of their own products and service, not #1 because a natural disaster is causing problems for another company, but thats just me.

OP, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Chevy, but only after I compared them with my other choices and they came out on top. Now, if you were asking about Ford, I'd say a big no way :laughing:

I would buy a Cruze. Actually, DD was talking about trading her car and she's been looking at the Cruze. I love that you can start it with your cell phone! They are also 5 star safety rated.

DSD had a Kia Sorento and it was a great car. She never had any problem with it and when she hit a cow and tore up the whole front end, she had no scratches on her.

I don't know about Hyundais.

I've had a 2008 Chevy Cobalt (the precursor to the Cruze) for two years (bought it when it was about 18 months old) and I only recently had to do any kind of service on it (the front sway bars). So in 2 years other than oil changes I've only spent $250 on service on it. (It has about 47k miles on it right now.)

When my husband starts car shopping soon I've been encouraging him to look at the Cruze.

OP - Not sure if you have any discounts or points to use for GM, but if you do not, send me a PM. I can give out 1 supplier & friend discount per month and haven't given one out in awhile.

You can check out the supplier & friend price at gmfamilyfirst.com to see the discount. This would be on top of any current incentives like financing, cash back, etc.

However, you cannot combine the discount with points from a GM credit card if you have one.

As far as buying a Chevy, I would not buy one. After owning Mitsubishi's, a Pontiac, and a Honda........ My Pontiac has been in the shop A LOT. I've never had to bring in the Mitsubishi or Honda. Even with my discount, I probably would not buy a GM vehicle again. This is just from personal experience.

OP, my DH said the same thing about 6 years ago. I wanted a suburban, he said no way, and that people in hell wanted ice water and they stood a better chance of getting it. Well after looking at vans, suvs and the like, we couldn't find anything that would seat our family comfortable and all of our stuff.

He gave in and to humor me, he test drove a Chevy. Suburban. Well, it didn't take much longer than him getting out of the parking lot and he was hooked. WE haven't had any problems and we have 110,000 miles on it. IN fact he told me just the other day, that from now on, he would buy Chevy products. This from a man that never owned anything other than a Toyota, or Honda.

I have an HHR..that's a Chevy, right? and all is good.

the only cars we buy are Chevy! Right now we own 2 Chevy vehicles that are both over 10 years old and still going strong!

i wouldn't hesitate to buy a chevrolet, or any GM vehicle, for that matter. DH's 1986 chevrolet S-10 finally died about 2 years ago, with over 300,000 miles on it, and my GMC jimmy has over 216,000 miles on it, and still going.

I have owned a Chevy S10, Cavalier(two door), Tracker, Cobalt(4 door) and my favorite and current 2011 Equinox. I wouldn't buy anything else :)

I am a driver and an automotive enthusiast. I test drove a Chevy 20 years after the previous time I had driven a Chevy and it was the same. Two most important feedback giving controls, the steering and braking, were still dead from a Chevy. I had to turn onto a road and stepped on the mushy brake pedal only to find out I had no idea what to expect from my input of applying the brakes and shot right past the road I wanted to turn onto.

That and the still wobbly lack of all feeling in the steering wheel led that ride to be the last time I even had a thought of buying a "purebred" Chevy. I say "purebred" because I have test driven a Pontiac Vibe not long ago, which is nothing but a rebadged and slight bodystyle modified Toyota Matrix.

No, I would not buy a Chevy. I was though stupid enough to buy a new Ford (Mazda Tribute.) I've put more money into it in 78000 miles than I had in my previous 5 Toyotas and 1 Nissan with a combined total mileage of over 500,000 miles.

A coworker loves his Chevy pickup truck. It is the greatest thing on the road in his eyes. I had to check to make sure I still had all my teeth from that ride in a Chevy with a mere 20,000 miles on it. Then again, he doesn't drive it much because of how often it is at the shop being worked on. But hey, it's great! It's under warranty after all!

Bought me my first VW, a 1.8L turbo Jetta. 30+ mpg and more power than I know what to do with. I slip it into 5th and leave it there where all other vehicles I've owned I've had to constantly struggle dropping to 4th at 60 mph on the highway in the hills of western PA. The back roads that I would previously be struggling up in 3rd, the little turbo just cruises up in 5th no problems. Love having available power, and I have it in any gear I choose. Heck, I can pass JoeSlow in front of me on my way to work still in 5th gear with no problems in passing zones that I would not attempt in other cars even dropping 2 gears.

So, if you're the 99% type who just get in a car and press the pedal to go and turn a wheel thingy to turn, go ahead and buy a Chevy, it really makes no difference when you are not a driver. But if you are a driver, steer clear away from the Chevy garbage. I can't stand that feeling of not having a clue what a car is going to do.

We own a '02 Silverado and a '10 Traverse. Couldn't say enough good things about them. Yes, there have been some minor issues (all covered under warranty). You will get that with any brand you chose. I would say whole heartedly buy Chevy.

I would not buy any Chevrolet unless it was a Suburban.

I have owned 2 Chevys in my lifetime - both bought new - and both had multiple problems. My Camaro threw a rod at 86k miles and was toast. My Lumina Van had everything break down (including the transmission) BUT the engine by 80k miles.

Yep, I'd buy a Chevy, IF I liked the car. You can get a lemon from any car manufacturer. My sister had a Toyota that was in and out of the shop more times than any GM car I've ever owned, actually more times than all of the GM cars I've owned put together.

We don't own it any more, but our 1989 Chevy Celebrity is still on the road.

I'll bet your neighbor was referring to the fact that GM got assistance from the federal government and recently discontinued some of its brands. Then again, there are people who swear by foreign cars and will never, ever buy an American made car.

Personaly I'd rather hear GM is predicted to be #1 because of their own products and service, not #1 because a natural disaster is causing problems for another company, but thats just me.

No, it's me too.

I've had a 2008 Chevy Cobalt (the precursor to the Cruze) for two years (bought it when it was about 18 months old) and I only recently had to do any kind of service on it (the front sway bars). So in 2 years other than oil changes I've only spent $250 on service on it. (It has about 47k miles on it right now.)

We own a '02 Silverado and a '10 Traverse. Couldn't say enough good things about them. Yes, there have been some minor issues (all covered under warranty). You will get that with any brand you chose. I would say whole heartedly buy Chevy.

Maybe I'm spoiled, but neither of these are exactly ringing endorsements to me. I drive an '06 Honda Pilot with 80K miles and I've never had to make any repairs, warranty or not.

We had a Tahoe for 7 years and now have a Traverse. No problems with either of them. They both are good on local roads and highways, and i drive windy back roads all the time with no handling issues. No pick-up issues to get up to speed on the highway either (had a Saturn years ago and always felt like we could run faster, that car took so long to get to 65 mph).

We would definitely buy another Chevy. Not so sure about a Ford though, at least right now; nothing but problems with that car. We also have a foreign car that we like too; that one has more horsepower per weight so gets going faster

I'm still driving my 1997 Chevy Lumina. It has 85,000 miles on it now and other than the expected servicing for it, it has been a great car. I really like it. In fact, I like it better than my DH's 2006 Pontiac Vibe. :goodvibes

Donna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter