• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

'Wonder'ing to Alaska 9-night Cruise 7/24/17

Our luck ran out. DD's band camp will be the same week as the cruise. Therefore, we are going to have to cancel and hope they do this itinerary again in 2018.

Hello, so excited to be sailing to Alaska in 349 days from now. My son who will be 14, my daughter who will 17, and I will be sailing. This will be our 4th cruise. My goal was to sail on each of the Disney ships and the Wonder is the last in order to achieve this goal. My next, is to become a gold member. We will be driving from Vermont.
:darth: DS(14):ccat:DD(17):tinker:Jean

Last edited:
My 12 year-old son and I will be onboard, too. So excited! We're from Texas and plan to fly to California to spend a few days at Disneyland, then fly up to Vancouver. Never been to Disneyland or Alaska before.

We've only cruised once before: a 3-night Bahamian on the Disney Magic over this past New Year's. My son and I both loved it, and toward the end he was sad to go, and humbly suggested that "maybe we could do this again sometime." :lovestruc Little does he know!

Last edited:
Hi all, this will be our third trip to Alaska on the Wonder, the last in 2015. For those going on your first trip to Alaska, you are in for a treat. The addition of a visit to Hubbards Glacier hooked us for the third trip. Ask away if you have any questions.

Hi all, this will be our third trip to Alaska on the Wonder, the last in 2015. For those going on your first trip to Alaska, you are in for a treat. The addition of a visit to Hubbards Glacier hooked us for the third trip. Ask away if you have any questions.

Thanks for the generous offer of info. Here are a few questions:

1. What is the PAT process like in Vancouver? The same as in Florida?

2. Some of the excursions are described as "extremely limited availability." Is it common to be unable to book many of them, in your experience? We're only silver level CC members, so don't have a huge advantage in terms of when we can book.

3. We've only done a 3-night before. How does a longer cruise compare, in your opinion?

I'm sorry if this is too many questions- really excited!

Last edited:
What is the PAT process like in Vancouver? The same as in Florida?
In Florida.... you are leaving the USA. In Vancouver... you are ENTERING the USA. As you are Entering the USA.... US customs screening is slower and is the main bottleneck when boarding.

In Florida.... you are leaving the USA. In Vancouver... you are ENTERING the USA. As you are Entering the USA.... US customs screening is slower and is the main bottleneck when boarding.
I'm referring to the PAT- Port Arrival Time at the ship. Is that scenario the same as in Florida? Thanks.

3. We've only done a 3-night before. How does a longer cruise compare, in your opinion?

Hi. We were on the Fantasy for 7 nights, the Magic for 4 nights, and the Dream for 3 nights. We loved the Fantasy!! 7 nights was perfect. When we went on the other two, we just didn't get the same feel. We were sad when we got off of the 7 night night because we really bonded with various Cast Members. The 3 and 4 night cruises were too short to form that bond.

Question for those of you who have sailed on a Disney Alaska cruise: Is there a pirate night? I have been told that there is not a Pirate night and it has been replaced with a Pixar night for the Alaska cruises.

Thanks for the generous offer of info. Here are a few questions:

I haven't done a cruise from Florida so I cannot compare. On our last Alaska cruise we arrived about 30 minutes before the PAT. We first checked in with Disney and got our badges, then went thru Port Vancouver security, then thru US Customs then waited in a lounge until our Group was called. Since several cruise lines use Port Vancouver the lounge was really plain. Longest wait was for Port Vancouver security as you are going thru security with passengers from other cruise lines. US customs was fairly fast if you are US citizens and use the automated machines.

2. Some of the excursions are described as "extremely limited availability." Is it common to be unable to book many of them, in your experience? We're only silver level CC members, so don't have a huge advantage in terms of when we can book.

We have had good luck with getting the excursions we selected, including my favorite the Taku Lodge flight. Also remember that you can book excursion directly with the vendors such as whale watching in Juneau. The hardest thing for us to get was Palo brunch. But remember that they save about half of the Palo reservations for booking on embarkation day.

I love the longer cruises, never felt bored and the cruise staff always has something going on. You are rarely out of sight of land for the Alaska cruises and the scenery and wildlife spotting is outstanding. Make sure you bring binoculars!

Ask away! :yay:

Last edited:

No Pirates Night or fireworks in Alaska. It is replaced by a Pixar Party with a special Pixar menu in the main dining rooms and special meet and greets with several pixar characters in the atrium of the Wonder.

No Pirates Night or fireworks in Alaska. It is replaced by a Pixar Party with a special Pixar menu in the main dining rooms and special meet and greets with several pixar characters in the atrium of the Wonder.
Good. I prefer Pixar to pirates.

Is there ever a problem with excursions making people too late for main dining?

I haven't done a cruise from Florida so I cannot compare. On our last Alaska cruise we arrived about 30 minutes before the PAT. We first check in with Disney and got our badges, then went thru Port Vancouver security, then thru US Customs then waited in a lounge until our Group was called. Longest wait was for Port Vancouver security as you are boarding with passengers from other cruise lines. US customs was fairly fast if you are US citizens and use the automated machines.

We have had good luck with getting the excursions we selected, including my favorite the Taku Lodge flight. Also remember that you can book excursion directly with the vendors such as whale watching in Juneau. The hardest thing for us to get was Palo brunch. But remember that they save about half of the Palo reservations for booking on embarkation day.

I love the longer cruises, never felt bored and the cruise staff always has something going on. You are rarely out of sight of land for the Alaska cruises and the scenery is outstanding.

Ask away! :yay:
Thanks. Are there any character breakfasts on the Alaska cruises to sign up for?

Good. I prefer Pixar to pirates.

Is there ever a problem with excursions making people too late for main dining?

If you take a late excursion, yes. You can ask to be accomodated in the second seating as it is less busy or you can eat at Beach Blanket (I guess it will be Cabanas after the dry dock). It is a table service restaurant in the evenings, not a buffet.

Thanks. Are there any character breakfasts on the Alaska cruises to sign up for?

Yes, the character breakfasts are on sea days. You can get tickets for the character breakfasts and some of the meet and greets on embarkation day. You used to get the character breakfast tickets automatically but that changed in 2015.

Thank you for confirming this. I enjoy Pirate Night, but I think a Pixar Party sounds even better.

I decided to invest our money in my kitchen instead of the cruise but the good news is that room 5520 is now available!!! This is a secret porthole room (deck 5 forward) excellent location for the price of an inside. I hope one of you can get it:)

I decided to invest our money in my kitchen instead of the cruise but the good news is that room 5520 is now available!!! This is a secret porthole room (deck 5 forward) excellent location for the price of an inside. I hope one of you can get it:)
I just checked & it's still available, but 5520 isn't anywhere near the price of any other inside stateroom. It's actually more expensive than an oceanview stateroom. I think the "secret" on this stateroom is out. Thanks for the heads-up, though.

I think it's more because of the location on deck 5.
A mid-ship inside on deck 7 is a great deal cheaper, though, so it wouldn't make sense for an inside forward on deck 5 to cost so much more. The only reason for that 4-digit $$$$ increase for an inside forward on deck 5 could be the not-so "secret" porthole.

Last edited:
You're definitely right on the NSSP; In fact, oceanview staterooms on decks 1 and 2 are usually less expensive than the NSSPHs on deck 5.

Someone might prefer deck 5 and want to pay 1,000 less than the OVs Next door:D

Anyway, I really hate giving this cruise up but really hope all of you have a safe and wonderful trip to Alaska!:cool1:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter