Wk of Mar 9 - WISH Walking/Running Club

Morning folks!

I haven't really been posting here - I've been reading but haven't had the time to really write too much. Work has been pretty busy. I'm slowly but surely getting back on track with the runs but I seem to be hitting a shin splint issue with my right leg. I suspect it may be the shoes - seems to be the missing link - but they have less than 200 miles on them so it seems a bit early...? I've paid attention to my stride and I know it isn't a warm up issue so I'm not sure what else to think. I'm going to retire those shoes for now and see if that helps alleviate the issue. I ran Tuesday and my shin hurt so I took yesterday off and I'll try to get a few miles in today and tomorrow, then I have a 10K on Sunday.

Cecilia

That's great! And it perfectly fits the country music marathon, since it sounds like the chorus of a country song. "You can have my truck and my wife, but you cannot touch my bib!"

Craig

OK, as a back of the packer participant, I'm going to chime in here with my take on wearing the Garmin in an event. ;) When the beeper goes off at each of its miles, I look to see how far off I am when I actually pass the mile marker. When I did my first 10K, I actually added almost a mile from all of the weaving back and forth I was doing! :sad2: When I cross the mat at the end, I turn it off (being careful NOT to be looking at it when the finish photographer takes the picture!:lmao:) and compare my Garmin distance with the course distance. Any time it's less than a tenth off...it's a good thing! :rotfl:

Craig and Martha, ya'll have a good trip, ya heah? Mahtha, dear, I will be so hopin' that there be some pitchurs of ya at high tea. Ya'll know how we like our tea!! :cutie:

Greetings all -

No training to report today because...well, because I am a slug. :rolleyes2

Jen - You're so funny! :lmao: Yes, Pat is right. We got very nice certificates of appreciation. Wow, volunteering sure is worth it! A jacket, a one-day park ticket, a box lunch, a certificate..and we had a great time doing it! :banana:

Pat - Hey, I don't see New York on your List of 50. I'm going to have to find you something. ;)

Kristi - OK I was trying to let you be surprised, but now you know. :) Listen, you can get creative to inspire Chad to use the foam roller. Just ask the Panda. :laughing:

Craig - Thanks for the, uhhhh, visual. :eek: I know what you mean about the finisher's certificates, but this one is for volunteering. I'm just amazed at how much we got for doing it, since it was so much fun to do anyway! Have a safe and wonderful trip and take good care of our Red Dragon 'cause we love her! :hug:

Judy - What time did you finish with your volunteering duty? I may think about doing it next year as long as the job would be done in time to do other things that morning.

Is anyone else interested in volunteering?

Pat - Hey, I don't see New York on your List of 50. I'm going to have to find you something. ;)

Gosh, I guess my reply got lost in cyber-space.....

Judy I would love some NY suggestions - for 2009. I am pretty booked for 2008, but am always looking to add to my collection of states! I just need a 3.5hr timelimit and of course a really cool medal. That is not asking too much is it??

Judy - What time did you finish with your volunteering duty? I may think about doing it next year as long as the job would be done in time to do other things that morning.

Is anyone else interested in volunteering?

Jen, DH was with the WISH group at stop #2 and he said they were done by 7:30. He was at the tram area of AK screamteaming by 8:30. We both are definitely interested in volunteering for the full next year!

Pat - That sounds great. I was hoping that stop was done by at least 9am! I think we should look into a team spot again. So far I am interested, as long as my travel plans don't change!

Jen - We had to be at WWoS at 3:00am and we were done by......ummmm....it was really early. Kristi is planning on heading up the Red Water Stop #2 again and I am so there with her! Join us! :yay:

Pat - I'll get right on that!:thumbsup2 I'll find you something cool to do in 2009.

Hello All

I am TRYING to go back and catch up on this week. I was in the "middle of nowhere" on business this week with VERY limited internet. And my hotel in the "middle of nowhere" had NO gym! (Plus it was cold and didn't seem very safe in the middle of nowhere) So no work out. Then to top it off I come down with a cold. I think I am goin to walk tonight, but not run.. (I can't breath, I think breathing is a requirement to run LOL!)

This thread has some intersting "twists" this week. Got to spend some time catching up!

Pat - I'll get right on that!:thumbsup2 I'll find you something cool to do in 2009.

Awesome, but you've got to do it too!!

I'll be heading north over the Memorial Weekend to meet up with Jen to do the Madison WI half, and I did Detroit with Carrie and Scott, and NC with Wendy and a host of other WISHers. Sharing the experience always doubles the fun. Maybe we could recruit a few others too!

Yup Judy, if Pat comes to your neck of the woods you have to do it with her. That is what she told me, anyway!!!!

Oh and Kristi and Judy, for count me in for volunteering next year (knock on wood, cross my fingers!!!) Are you sure you can handle me at 3:00 am in the morning. I may be in goof off mode since I am not running!!!! (I am doing the 1/2, so don't yell at me about that!)

Hey guys!!!

Sorry I have been MIA because of work again. Stupid job taking up my DIS and RUNNING time. I was on such a roll after sunday and did not have time to run all week until today.

Did 5 miles in 47 minutes.

Judy - I did get a certificate!! I LOVED volunteering, but next year I AM RUNNING MY FIRST FULL :cool1:

I'm really sorry guys ... gotta go

So, I bumped today's workout and planned to do it tomorrow. And then I checked the weather report.

It's supposed to get up to 90 degrees here tomorrow. Are you kidding me? :mad: I thought it was only March? Bah.

Hey WISHERS,

I cranked out 5 miles in 48 minutes. Had to get home to the Princesses.

Have a great Friday everyone!

Leana, good luck with your 10K! :cheer2:

Cecilia, yep - the weather rocked yesterday! I wore shorts, too. :woohoo:

So the big news is I ran my last long run before my first half yesterday - my first 12 miler! And the bigger news is I LIVED! :yay:

My average pace was 11:03. I hope I do something similar for my half. I really want to be under 2:30. I've noticed the longer I go the slower my pace becomes. :upsidedow

The last 2 miles HURT. It actually got hot near the end - my car said 69 when I finished. I came home and took an ice bath and I feel pretty good. Knees a tad sore when I walk up and down the stairs.

So I guess I'm now in taper mode...

DH and I watched online the ING Georgia video of the course last night. Yikes, it is very hilly. I'm a tad scared. :scared:

Hope everyone has a FANTASTIC weekend! :grouphug:

Good Morning all!!

Chocolate Milksters: OK, I must be honest, I can't think of anything I would like to have LESS after a run than chocolate milk. After my LRs, I tend to be a "grilled chicken sandwich and a soda" kind of guy. And to be fully honest, after races I'm never usually all that hungry. (Except after the full this year. I was ravenous. Heck, I was ravenous at the half way point... darn Goofy Challenge....)

Judy-- Oh goodness, what an ordeal!! I think that's a very good reason to miss a long run. And I agree, where are all of our old people :confused3 ? I know things usually slow down here training wise, but I hope folks will come back and say Hi!

Lily-- Glad to hear you are recovering so well! :thumbsup2

Craig-- Boy do I hear you about running races with the Garmin. I always wear mine. If for no other reason than to know my clock time in case I need to push my pacing at the end... and I like to use it in the beginning to settle into my pace. It usually isn't a problem. That said, I was about to toss the darn thing over and overpass this year during the full.... If it says I've run 19 miles in a sauna, I better see that. Do NOT tell me I've run those 19 miles and see the mile marker at the top of an overpass.

Despite my best intentions, this has been a big LTO week for me. Work has been very very busy and I seem to have gotten the cold that every single other person in greater South Florida has. I've missed the past two days running and in the gym because I've been living on Alka-Seltzer Cold and Zycam spray, but I really want to beat this thing quick.

I'm still working on a fall race plan and can't come up with any really good answers. (OK, the IDEAL answer is to get into NYC this year and run that... but I just don't think I'll have the funds to do it. Which reminds me... I'll never complain about the expense of WDW races again... $11 just to get INTO the lottery, $155 for the race registration if you ARE excepted and don't get me started on hotels in Manhatten. :headache: ) So I'm still on the drawing board. :)

Have a Great Friday all!
Kevin :earsboy:

Shan - You Rock!:cheer2: Awesome time.
Enjoy your taper.:goodvibes

Greetings Race Team -

Although I had to talk myself into getting out of bed this morning, I did crank out 2 miles, which was all my plan called for. Hardly seems worth getting up for, but I have eight miles on tap for tomorrow, so I'll save whatever mojo I have for that. Of course, "chilly rain" for tomorrow morning. Grrrr. :headache:

Jen - Oh yay! :yay: This will be fun! Don't worry about us putting up with you at that hour. You'll have to put up with me! I'm always amazed at how many people are wide awake at that hour of the morning. It's so surreal to me. I had to call Kristi at 3:00am that day because - like a dope - I didn't read the instructions and could not find where at WWoS I was supposed to check in. It was the only phone call I have ever made at that hour. Thankfully she was already up and at the checked in by then.

Angie - Hey, you could volunteer for the Half! Aww, we'll miss you but YAY for you doing your first Full! :woohoo:

Kevin - Don't forget we are only about 40 min or so north of Manhattan. Hope you feel better soon! :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter