Wk of Feb 19--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

TXBelle said:
It is just so hard to get the image out of my head that in order to be a marathoner you have to be a runner. I know that is not true because I am living proof of that (I walked the 1/2 in 2005 and walked/ran the 1/2 in 2006), but I still have this overwhelming drive to run in order to validate myself as an athlete. But running hurts my hip and my knees and my shins if I run for too long, even if I run slowly. I guess the point is that I am still trying to find the right balance. :duck:

Coming out of lurker mode to tell you in no way do you have to run the marathon to validate yourself as an athlete!! There are many folks who can walk a marathon faster than I can run one. I sincerely hope you're able to find a r/w balance that works best for you.

Also, about your DH...I am sort of in the same situation as he is in the fact that I have been running for years and my DH is a newbie. I have no doubt that your DH is in no way diminishing your accomplishments. It is just a fact that he can, at this point, run a marathon with minimal training. That just comes with experience, which only time can provide. It is great he is so supportive and you can see that. I know I am so excited that my DH now shares my running passion and it is something we can do together. He is even running the Minnie with me :love:

Nancy - Deepest sympathies for your loss. Prayers to you & your family.

MelR - best of luck with the Cowtown this weekend.

Lizdotcom - Finding some sick comfort that others are sharing my current mindset :confused3

Helen - :rotfl2: About the plump guinea pig and the writing assignment. Congrats on your run!!

TiffJ - Can you give me the info on Anthony Travel for the Minnie?

TnTsParty - Welcome!! :cheer2: You'll get loads of helpful advice and encouragement here.

Christa - Way too sweet about your DD. Isn't it awesome to be a hero in someone's eyes?

I had a wonderful 5 mile run this morning on my trusty treadmill. No way am I as brave as Sunny and attempt to run outside in the near 0 temps. You have my utmost respect!! I spent loads of time over the long weekend infront of the fireplace.

Best of luck to everyone with training this week.

Heather - sorry you felt diminished! You are already an athlete whether you run or not!!! I'm sure he didn't mean that he wouldn't have to train to do the marathon w/ you. It sounds like he has been training for several yrs. as well, since he has done the marathon 2 times. I have been begging phil to do the "26.2 mile training run" w/ me at the end of march. I think he was actually feeling quite a bit of pressure :teeth: . Last night I asked him if he knew why I wanted him to do it and he said "no". I had to confess that it was just b/c i didn't want to run that far all by myself!!!!! :confused3 :confused3

I think the blahs are a little better today!! The boy finally went back to preschool. we have been joined at the hip since last wednesday. I had him all weekend in the ice storm since phil was racing and we couldn't go anywhere! He was probably happy to get away from me for a little while too.

Phil and i are going to do a short run today (recovery run for him and taper run for me)

This weekend, i'll make sure and take my laptop and give a race report and post pics if our host has highspeed.

Dave - glad to hear you are back at it!!!

Jodi - that seems like a great pace to me!!!

Sara - HI!!!!!! Thanks for the well-wishes!!!! I would have been in front of the fireplace all weekend too if we had had any wood (i used it all long ago! :teeth: )

Hi everyone -

I've had a heck of a three-day weekend. Mist acted up on me both Sat and Sun, rearing up and spooking and in general just being out of control. Seems like she has seen more abuse then we were aware of. This saddens me on so many levels. I was very upset and depressed and frustrated all weekend. Sunday morning I didn't even train, so no LW for me this weekend. The vet came by yesterday and we had a long talk. She gave me a little training program for her and some encouraging words. Today I feel better about the whole situation but I sure am starting from square one with her. Oh and BTW, the vet told me Mist must have had a baby not that long ago. I feel badly for her, after all she's been thru, and she was pregnant during it all too. Poor thing.

Nancy - Sorry to hear about your MIL. That is very sad. :grouphug:

Sunny - I always enjoy your pictures. Keep 'em coming! :goodvibes

This morning I did 45 min on the TM @ 3.7 @ 1%, w/5 min @ 2% and I ran the last minute @ 4. I think I'm ready to kick it up to 3.8 and add some more incline here and there. I'm actually starting to get anxious to take this show on the road. It almost feels like spring today so I'm starting to think about hitting the blacktop.

Judy

Today was early a.m. swimming. And I had to do it without my morning caffeinne. No diet coke in the house :eek: I did 500 yds but felt like a lead balloon. Kept feeling like I was too far under the water. That's new. I blame it on the no diet coke thing.

Happy training everyone!

Heatehr - :grouphug: You know from last year's rants, that I know exactly what you're felling with you dh. It would be even more depressing for you to have him join you in October and be faster. :( You need to train together some to see if you can do it together, because at 4 hours, he's cruisin'. However, if you can do it, it's wonderful to have someone there of ryou to run with. There was something awesome about doing it together. :wizard:

As for feeling you need to run to validate yourself as a runner, I understand that too. However, there is really no need! You are an athelete!!! Don't forget that! If your body can't do it, it can't do it. Don't push. Running is hard on your joints and it's not worth risking injury. The point is to cross the finish line. Remember? :)

Poor Mist - can you give rescue remedy to horses? My mother recently took on a rescue dog and he has similar ex abuse issues, and he's started on various bach flower remedies to chill him out so the doggy psychologist can start working on him - and it seems to be doing the trick. I hasten to add my mother is not Paris Hilton, just a normal woman in her 50s, but for some reason there is a dog psychologist where she lives!!!

Didn't lift the plump guinea pig last night, in fact couldn't have lifted a thin one. Suddenly realised that one of my travel jabs needed booster before I go next week so rang for an appointment, and she said 'you can come in an hour' so I spent all last night with a very painful arm!! It's a one hour run tonight though. See you later. Helen

I told this group a couple of weeks ago that I wanted to walk the 1/2 marathon next January. I have come to realize that financially that might not be possible, so I have decided to try to do the 2008. I am just getting into walking and it might be better not to push it since my feet are very delicate. I do plan to walk a marathon next April here in Jersey. At the end of April is the Jersey shore marathon and this year they have added on the 1/2. They are doing two loops around Long Branch here in Central Jersey. I think that this is my new goal and then go for the 1/2 in Disney in 2008. This might work better at showing my husband that I mean business when I say I want to do the Disney marathon.

I will be chekcing out this site every now and then and putting in my 2 cents. You are a very inspirational group.

littlegreydonkey said:
Didn't lift the plump guinea pig last night, in fact couldn't have lifted a thin one. Suddenly realised that one of my travel jabs needed booster before I go next week so rang for an appointment, and she said 'you can come in an hour' so I spent all last night with a very painful arm!! It's a one hour run tonight though. See you later. Helen

Okay Helen, I give up. What is a travel jab? Does that happen as the result of a stonker? :teeth:

Dona- We will miss you at WDW next year, but keep putting in those steps. We had several people last year who joined in 2005 as part of the 2007 WISH Team. You can be the first person on the list for the 2008 WISH Team. :cool2: Just keep posting!

Thanks to all of you for your encouraging words. :grouphug: I think Carrie's suggestion of trying a few training runs together to see if it will work is a good one. The thought of my DH being by my side the whole marathon and cheering me on and crossing the finish line hand in hand is incredible. :sad: Okay, now I'm tearing up. Better get back to work. :badpc:

Hi All!

Had a few minutes free at work and thought, what better way to spend them than checking the Dis :goodvibes .

I did it! I made the commitment! I just registered for the DL 1/2. It's gonna be crazy. I'm going all that wat for 3 days :eek: Will arrive on Friday and take a red-eye back home on Sunday night/Mon. morning.

While I would love to spend more time at DL and CA, in general, I have a family trip to WDW leaving on Oct. 1st.

But there's something special about doing a race that is a "1st". So this year I would have done the 1st Goofy Challenge and now the 1st DL 1/2. Yeah!!

Terri

OK - I'm trying to keep training through my sniffles and cold. I walked 2.5 miles on the treadmill in about a 15 mpm pace. My shin felt OK, not great, but OK. I don't have the sharp pain in it like I did with my shin splints, but it does feel different. Now I don't know if I'm just hypersensitive to it. I'm trying to do some toe lifts and isometric exercises to strengthen it too.

Dona - Let us know how your training is going for the marathon in April. Sorry things won't work out for you to be in WDW next January. Good for you though for making the committment to fitness and also for being fiscally responsible. Those are probably two of the toughest things to do.

Judy - Sorry to hear you had such a hard time with Mist this weekend. Good luck for the tough job you have ahead of you.

TXBelle said:
Another :rolleyes: moment: My DH has not signed up for the marathon yet. He has run it the past 2 years (finishing in just over 4 hours both times). I signed up the first day registration opened. For those who don't know me, this will be my first marathon. I asked DH when he was going to register, and he said he did not know. I told him he could just go and watch next year. He said that he was thinking he might do the marathon with me, which means he won't have to start training until at least October (i.e., you are so slow I don't have to train to be able to keep up with you for 26.2 miles). :furious: He's probably right, but how insulting. I have basically been training for the full marathon for 2 years now (doing the 1/2 in 2005 & 2006). He can train in 3 months? :( Okay, vent's over. He really is the best and very supportive of me. :love: I don't think he meant to diminish my accomplishments or my abilities. He's just a guy and doesn't get it sometimes.
Heather - You are awesome for trying (see my quotes in my sig...). However, I agree with the following!
I think Carrie's suggestion of trying a few training runs together to see if it will work is a good one. The thought of my DH being by my side the whole marathon and cheering me on and crossing the finish line hand in hand is incredible.
DH and I run training runs together and normally start out running the races together. I am a little faster in distance than him, he can beat me in a sprint, so near the end is when I can really get going. We have run the Goofy and WDW 2005 "together". But never finish together. We are fine with that though. He would rather listen to the MP3 player while I want to run and chat. This year, we ran together until mile 20 b/c his knee was hurting. My talking got on his nerves so he told me to go on. He finished about 20 min behind me. I did stay in the area and wait for him though! :love:

No working out for me today. DD5 still sick and I can feel the fat rolls forming! Maybe it is all the brownies. :tongue: It is BEAUTIFUL in Charlotte so I am DYING to get out. DH is working late so there is nothing I can do! I did think about riding up and down my street (in front of my house) on my bike, but DD is to sick to leave. Am I selfish? :sad:

Judy - pixiedust: pixiedust: to you and Mist!

Helen - I am glad someone else asked b/c I don't know what a travel jab is either.

OH gotta go Kim Possible is coming on...My favorite! :worship:

Hey guys..... remember me?!?! :blush:

I have been SO remiss in my posting the past, oh, 6 weeks and therefore SO remiss in my running the past 6 weeks. Funny how that happens?!?! Well, I am back and here to stay!

A quick perusal of the thread shows that most everyone is still around which is WONDERFUL!! Howdy to the new folks as well! :wave:

My very nearly completed and long overdue race report is almost finished. (Much like my Goofy training plan, I guess) I've been so busy with work and school that I just haven't had the time to get to it. I hope to have it up by tomorrow, though. I did get my medal plaque dealy from Crossing the Line the other day and it looks GREAT. It's hanging right here by my computer where I'll see it all the time.

I know I'm going to miss people, but:

Nancy- So sorry to hear of your loss. :grouphug:

Helen- Congrats on the Half-marathon!! And a great time too!!

Carrie- I love that new signature picture! And wait...what's that... 2nd Disney Marathon trip countdown ticker?? I must have missed an announcement.... How COOL!! :banana:

OK, back to the grind,
Happy training!
Kevin (Solotraveler) :earsboy:

Helen to American English translation-
Travel jab= shot/immunization. At least that was my understanding, and the sore arm tends to be my experience with immunizations especially tetanus. I took almost all my shot records to OBC last summer but missed the paperwork for the tetanus shot I had gotten prior to starting med school so I got another tetanus plus a menigitis plus Hep A. I was relatively lucky in that I only got 3, some people got up to 7.

Judy- good luck w/ Mist. The before pictures were heartbreaking and now to find out she was even more mistreated. I just don't understand what some people can do to other people especially children and eldery and animals. Great job on your exercise though. You are being really consistent and that is awesome.

Christa- PD for your daughter. I want to hear reports of your new bike and you can't do that if she's still sick. Basically I going through bike envy because it's taking longer to get mine that I thought it was going to.

Dona- keep stopping in. Don't worry if you're not able to get to Disney to 2008. I really hope to go in 2007 but don't know for sure yet so I may not be back until 2008 either.

Heather- YOU are an athlete. Don't let DH get you down and remember that you can do lots of stuff he can't and you CAN do it even if it takes a bit longer than his pace.

Terry- I want to do the DL 1/2 for the same reason, that innaugral castle medal. Plus the course sounds neat. I haven't been to DL since 1991. But real life intrudes and I can't fly to the other side of the country the week after having taken a long weekend to do Ironman Wisconsin.

TiffJ- yeah for the swimming. I find all early morning workouts challenging no matter what the sport so don't let it get you down. How is the new bike?

Liz- PD for the job search.

Hi to MelR, Sara, TnTsParty, Carrie, Dave(yes, you may be a little hypersensitive to the shin know), and anyone else I missed.

Ran 7.07 mi and swam 2700 yds yesterday. Did the spinervals Totally time trial DVD on the bike today. It was the first lactate threshold session on the bike this year and wow is that challenging. I realized that the reason I'm an endurance athlete is that in general we don't push that hard because you would blow up and I don't like pushing hard in that manner. I tolerate it a little better swimming but really don't like it running and apparently not cycling either.

Lynne, that was my guess on the travel jab. = update on shot(s) needed to go. Let’s see how well I speak international. Tee Hee.

Dave, do the alphabet with foot using the toes (like spinning around your foot at the ankle) not the whole leg. You will feel the muscles in the front of your shins as you do this.

Kevin, glad you stopped by. Don't be a stranger.

Judy, I hope that Mist gets those demons worked out of her. Sounds sad. She is lucky you have her now. There were “before” pictures? Where!?

Good for the Pilates and the TM runs and everyone keeping on.

Sorry about the fiscal woes. I’m there too. Sigh.

Sara, I liked what you had to say. Thanks for that. It is so true.

As for running/walking/wogging with a DH or DW that is a faster event person, please don’t let it get to you. My brother who encouraged my first effort with 5k participation did the absolute best thing while he created this monster in me. He is faster, he has done the marathon faster than me. He went with me to my first ever 5k. I felt overwhelmed by his presence. When I told him, his response was that he was enjoying the event through my eyes and that enjoyment was priceless. He did not try to get me to run faster than I was able and always said such supportive things. (I understand that spouses have the privilege of “stepping over the line” of that and becoming advisors where they may not be welcome.)

I hope that whoever is making the steps to becoming involved in this activity can some day feel that WE are ALL together in this. John Bingham really says it in his books. It is true. We are doing it and all deserve to be part of this wonderful opportunity. Take hold and keep at it.

Please don’t feel like you should be going faster. Do what works for you. Have fun doing it and you will not be sorry. As time goes and you become stronger, you will begin to feel that you might be able to go a bit faster, but if you don’t or can’t then let it be ok too. The experiment with all this is part of the fun.

Another newbie here. Decided 10 days ago I wanted to run the 5K at the Minnie without ever having run anything in my life. I'm at least able to walk/run 2-3 miles a day comfortably, and the past 2 days I've run at least 1/2 mile. I'm not even looking at time yet, just trying to convince my body that it can do the distance. Nothing like you marathoners, but it's a start! Maybe I'll join you guys in 2008, or 2009, or 2010...

TiffJ, I'm with you on having problems giving up control and booking with Anthony Travel! It seems so WRONG not doing it all myself, but I booked AKL last night.

xterratri said:
I realized that the reason I'm an endurance athlete is that in general we don't push that hard because you would blow up and I don't like pushing hard in that manner. I tolerate it a little better swimming but really don't like it running and apparently not cycling either.

I totally agree with that. I'll take distance over speed any day. My ~5 mile speed sessions are so much harder than my LRs. But I want to push my threshold and gain speed :confused3 I guess its really the "no pain no gain"!

I am blah today. I was feeling really tired, irritable and dreading my workout so I looked through my records. I discovered I haven't taken a rest day in 26 days! :eek: I've been in "auto pilot" mode, just racking up the minutes every time I can. So I didn't go to the gym or the Y today. Instead, Dx and I ordered Chinese and watched a movie (sitting on the couch, not bouncing on the trampoline!). I feel like a slug already.

Sunny

Wow! Everyone is doing so great in their training! You guys are very inspiring and motivating. :cheer2:

Didn't post yesterday's work out - 1.25 hours cardio, 45 minutes weights/abs. Cardio was Stairclimber, Precor and Octane :Pinkbounc

Today, all cardio, 1.5 hours (Precor, Stepper and TurboKick class!)

Ugh, I wish I could post more! Darn work and school! I'll try to post more! Keep up the great work everyone!!! :grouphug:

donac said:
I told this group a couple of weeks ago that I wanted to walk the 1/2 marathon next January. I have come to realize that financially that might not be possible, so I have decided to try to do the 2008. I am just getting into walking and it might be better not to push it since my feet are very delicate. I do plan to walk a marathon next April here in Jersey. At the end of April is the Jersey shore marathon and this year they have added on the 1/2. They are doing two loops around Long Branch here in Central Jersey. I think that this is my new goal and then go for the 1/2 in Disney in 2008. This might work better at showing my husband that I mean business when I say I want to do the Disney marathon.

I will be chekcing out this site every now and then and putting in my 2 cents. You are a very inspirational group.

Are you doing the Jersey SHore 1/2 in April 2007? If so...I'm thinking of doing it as well :). That would be great! I can't do it for April 06 as I'm not properly trained yet..instead I've registered for a 5K here. It sounds like your goals and training plan are awesome! :cool1:

Hi gang...back from Vermont. Skiied hard for 3 days....the conditions were brutal. Lots of ice = LOTS of leg work. Digging in my edges to control my speed :teeth: ....it was a GREAT leg workout. It felt like I did 1000 squats! So even though I missed my LR on Sunday :( , at least I was busy!

Today we drove 6 hours from Vermont back to NJ. I got out of the car, ran to my room and put on my running gear. My first mile felt GREAT but after that it was TOUGH!!! :crazy2: Guess that long drive and tired skiing legs caught up with me and I really had to power through my run. It was probably only 2.5 miles (at most) but it felt like 100 today. It didn't help that I hadn't eaten since b'fast....but I had to get the run in before taking the kids to practice. So...oh well....it's done :goodvibes .

Dave: We were up in Stowe, VT. LOVE that mountain...but the conditions all over the East are really dangerous for skiing right now. It is solid ice...they'll probably be skiing until June with the thick ice they've got up there LOL! It was 60 on Thursday, then rained all day Friday then turned FRIGID cold. I've never seen so many injuries! I took it S-L-O-W the whole time...kept thinking that an injury would really mess up my running training. Guess I'm going a little nutty with this "running" thing. :scratchin

MouseDogMom: CONGRATS on your goal for the 5K! :thumbsup2 Sounds like you are starting off great!

Sunny: 26 days without rest!! :eek: You rock girlfriend! :worship: But good for you for taking a much needed break. Recharging your batteries once in a while does not make you a slug! It's well deserved!!! Hope you enjoyed your rest :goodvibes .

Everyone is doing so great! It inspires me to read all your training and goals! Keep it up!!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter